Studio test scene with GFX 100:

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Jonathan Kardell Senior Member • Posts: 2,548
Studio test scene with GFX 100:

It has been quite a while since I visited this site, so forgive me if this is old news:

If you want to really see the difference between these high resolution cameras, switch to the incandescent light scene and switch to jpeg. Look at the texture of the paper on the playing cards, and the cracks in the clear coating on the paint brushes.

If you use the studio flash example, the flat lighting hides all the subtle detail and it makes all the cameras look very similar.

Just my humble observation. I make no assumptions about nefarious agendas. The fact is that for those who shoot in flat light, those pictures are valid.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Jonathan Kardell
'You are not what you think, you are that which allows thought to manifest.'

Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 17,296
Re: Studio test scene with GFX 100:

Jonathan Kardell wrote:

It has been quite a while since I visited this site, so forgive me if this is old news:

If you want to really see the difference between these high resolution cameras, switch to the incandescent light scene and switch to jpeg. Look at the texture of the paper on the playing cards, and the cracks in the clear coating on the paint brushes.

If you use the studio flash example, the flat lighting hides all the subtle detail and it makes all the cameras look very similar.

Just my humble observation. I make no assumptions about nefarious agendas. The fact is that for those who shoot in flat light, those pictures are valid.

I usually look at the tuft of hair first thing. I may be imagining things but on this particular item, the 50s image looks ever so slightly sharper than the 100 image.

-- hide signature --

Once you've done fifty, anything less is iffy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW Pentax DA645 28-45mm F4.5 +9 more
OP Jonathan Kardell Senior Member • Posts: 2,548

Rick Knepper wrote:

Jonathan Kardell wrote:

I usually look at the tuft of hair first thing. I may be imagining things but on this particular item, the 50s image looks ever so slightly sharper than the 100 image.

I noticed that, I also noticed the shadow that the tuft of hair throws across the board (when looking at the incandescent shot). The hair, the bottles and the plastic plant thing are the tallest items on the board. They also are the ones that look softest on the GFX100 shot. I suspect it is a plane of focus that is slightly different to the other cameras.

The playing cards and the paint brushes in the lower right corner are so revealing of detail it is quite stunning. Until I looked at the GFX 100 jpeg in the incandescent mode, I had never realized the playing cards had such an obvious texture to the paper.

Similar feelings regarding the cracked clear coating on the paint brushes in the lower right corner.

The flat light strobe lighting really eliminates low level detail, which is why it is often preferred for portrait work (obviously). It really does make all cameras look similar though.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Jonathan Kardell

Rick Knepper

Jonathan Kardell wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

Jonathan Kardell wrote:

I noticed that, I also noticed the shadow that the tuft of hair throws across the board (when looking at the incandescent shot). The hair, the bottles and the plastic plant thing are the tallest items on the board. They also are the ones that look softest on the GFX100 shot. I suspect it is a plane of focus that is slightly different to the other cameras.

The playing cards and the paint brushes in the lower right corner are so revealing of detail it is quite stunning. Until I looked at the GFX 100 jpeg in the incandescent mode, I had never realized the playing cards had such an obvious texture to the paper.

Similar feelings regarding the cracked clear coating on the paint brushes in the lower right corner.

Yep. I see it.

The flat light strobe lighting really eliminates low level detail, which is why it is often preferred for portrait work (obviously). It really does make all cameras look similar though.

BTW, I downloaded the jpegs (Daylight lighting) of both the 50s & 100 and the 100 fared much better on the tuft of hair, iow, as expected.

-- hide signature --

Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW Pentax DA645 28-45mm F4.5 +9 more
Hamiltionian Contributing Member • Posts: 543

Rick Knepper wrote:

Jonathan Kardell wrote:

The 50s image definitely is sharper.  I noticed the exact same thing.  The incandescent image is indeed sharper for the GFX 100.  I wonder if they missed focus ever so slightly on the daylight image or something.

The GFX 100 image was taken with the 120mm at F/5.6, whereas the 50S was taken at F/8.0.  I don't think that will make a big difference in sharpness, but perhaps.

The GFX 100 also likely doesn't have the smaller microlenses of the 50S, decreasing accutance if not resolution.

-- hide signature --

Stay Calm and Carry Cameras
https://thecentercolumn.com/

Hamiltionian wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

Jonathan Kardell wrote:

The 50s image definitely is sharper. I noticed the exact same thing. The incandescent image is indeed sharper for the GFX 100. I wonder if they missed focus ever so slightly on the daylight image or something.

The GFX 100 image was taken with the 120mm at F/5.6, whereas the 50S was taken at F/8.0. I don't think that will make a big difference in sharpness, but perhaps.

The GFX 100 also likely doesn't have the smaller microlenses of the 50S, decreasing accutance if not resolution.

I think you nailed it! That explains the shallower depth of field. Good catch!

(edit) Regarding the daylight strobe image, I have not bothered to examine it too closely after I discovered the incandescent image detail, but I think the main problem with it is the flat light which eliminates fine detail, making it look unfocused in comparison.  It is also possible that the camera was re-focused for each shot, but I don't see how we could be certain about it.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Jonathan Kardell

KlasG New Member • Posts: 21

When changing the GFX100 to JPEG it seems as sharp as one would expect. In this example below I can see the structure of the print in the orange colored background and it is as sharp as the PhaseOne 100MP and sharper then both the 50R and S1R with High Rez. The other cameras have not such a large difference between JPEG and RAW as the 100.

Chris Dodkin
MOD Chris Dodkin Forum Pro • Posts: 11,455

DPR have stated that they need to re-evaluate their sharpening protocol for these 100MP GFX files, and see if they want to change it up for a reshoot

So they recognize this may be an issue on the first pass test

-- hide signature --

Your time is limited, so don't waste it arguing about camera features - go out and capture memories - Oh, and size does matter - shoot MF

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +42 more
Chris Dodkin
MOD Chris Dodkin Forum Pro • Posts: 11,455

DPR felt they were getting diffraction issues at f/8, so backed off to f/5.6

They also used a different lens from the 50 test to the 100 test, so feel they might want to go back and shot the whole set again with the same lenses, and same apertures

I pointed out to them that DOF at f/5.6 was causing issues with 3D object on the test board, and they agreed this may be a what you're seeing

-- hide signature --

Your time is limited, so don't waste it arguing about camera features - go out and capture memories - Oh, and size does matter - shoot MF

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +42 more
Rick Knepper

KlasG wrote:

When changing the GFX100 to JPEG it seems as sharp as one would expect. In this example below I can see the structure of the print in the orange colored background and it is as sharp as the PhaseOne 100MP and sharper then both the 50R and S1R with High Rez. The other cameras have not such a large difference between JPEG and RAW as the 100.

This comparison helps support a conclusion I've held for a long time that these modes that use sensor movements to create a higher pixel (I won't use the phrase higher resolution) image is more of a gimmick than anything else. I know the rumor being that Fuji is working on such a function has some folks giddy with anticipation.

-- hide signature --

Chris Dodkin wrote:

They also used a different lens from the 50 test to the 100 test, so feel they might want to go back and shot the whole set again with the same lenses, and same apertures

I pointed out to them that DOF at f/5.6 was causing issues with 3D object on the test board, and they agreed this may be a what you're seeing

Thank you Chris! I am so glad that you brought this to us. Kudos to DPReview for stepping it up a notch for the new breed of MegaCameras.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Jonathan Kardell

Rick Knepper wrote:

KlasG wrote:

This comparison helps support a conclusion I've held for a long time that these modes that use sensor movements to create a higher pixel (I won't use the phrase higher resolution) image is more of a gimmick than anything else. I know the rumor being that Fuji is working on such a function has some folks giddy with anticipation.

Very limited usefulness, although I will trust that Fuji will only release it if there is some tangible benefit for still life work.

I remember using an exposure stacking mode on my old Fuji S5pro. No pixel shift, just stacking up to 8 images and combining them in camera. It produced a very clean file. I expect to see something like that as one of the future "Multi" options.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Jonathan Kardell

Chris Dodkin wrote:

DPR have stated that they need to re-evaluate their sharpening protocol for these 100MP GFX files, and see if they want to change it up for a reshoot

So they recognize this may be an issue on the first pass test

In light of all this, would it not be prudent to put a big disclaimer on that currently posted test. Many people are assuming that there is not much difference between the cameras simply because they are looking at the flat daylight lighting that masks fine details, not to mention the depth of field and lens issues you mentioned.

We don't want misconceptions to poison the marketplace before the camera starts to ship.

I also have to give credit to Chris Niccols for those shots in Japan. Given the constraints imposed by deadlines etc, we should not expect a finely curated collection of ART. However, some of those shots really show off the impressive IBIS and sensor combination. Some of the shots look almost forensic in quality.

However, to reiterate:

We don't want misconceptions to poison the marketplace before the camera starts to ship.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Jonathan Kardell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads