Issues with after market battery

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
icon1 Contributing Member • Posts: 648
Issues with after market battery

The battery concerned is a Power 2000  brand. I first notiiced a couple of days ag that it was getting to be a tighter fit in the battery compartment. It is one of five others (Sony OEM and Wasabi) that I cycle through regularly. Today when I went to extract it from the A6500, the fit was so tight that I had to use tweezers to get a grip to pull it out. It has clearly expanded from its original size and is destined for appropriate disposal.

Has anyone had similar issues with this brand or others? I have had no problems with Wasabi or Sony using the Wasabi charger.

icon1's gear list:icon1's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a6500 Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Rokinon 8mm F3.5 Aspherical Fisheye (HD) +3 more
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SpacemanUA
SpacemanUA Senior Member • Posts: 1,265
Re: Issues with after market battery

Happens. You shouldn't use it, it's dying. Throw it out to recycling.

SpacemanUA's gear list:SpacemanUA's gear list
Sony a6400 Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (Sony) Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Sony E Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN
maccam
maccam Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

I have 2 Wasabi batteries for my RX100m6 and they are slightly smaller than the original Sony batteries that came with the camera. I mentioned this on the RX forum and someone said it is that way to account for expansion. Kind of strange. I use a Sony battery charger for them. On my NEX5n, NEX6 and A6500 I only use Sony batteries and have never had a problem with expansion. I use the battery charger that came with my NEX5n.

JAW

maccam's gear list:maccam's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +11 more
OP icon1 Contributing Member • Posts: 648

SpacemanUA wrote:

Turns out that lithium recycling is not a viable economic option. See

https://waste-management-world.com/a/1-the-lithium-battery-recycling-challenge

I think that "hazardous waste" disposal is the best option.

Sony RX10 IV Sony a6500 Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Rokinon 8mm F3.5 Aspherical Fisheye (HD) +3 more
SpacemanUA

Whatever Just get rid of it and don't use in your camera

Sony a6400 Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (Sony) Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Sony E Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN
phototeacher Contributing Member • Posts: 964

Expansion is a potential problem, more so with non-OEM batteries.   Can depend on many factors, manufacturer, operating temperature, charging rate, charging temperature, the number of charge/discharge cycles.   Bottom line for the safety of the equipment  is to opt for the OEM batteries.

Lucky you caught it before it became too enlarged to easily get out of the battery compartment!

CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 6,613

icon1 wrote:

SpacemanUA wrote:

Whichever... just get rid of that defective battery before something bad happens. It is swelling because the internal safeguards are no longer working, gases are building up and it could catch fire.

Banderras Regular Member • Posts: 273

CameraCarl wrote:

icon1 wrote:

SpacemanUA wrote:

Whichever... just get rid of that defective battery before something bad happens. It is swelling because the internal safeguards are no longer working, gases are building up and it could catch fire.

I second this. Before you can dispose of it, put in fireproof bag if you have one, otherwise store it somewhere non flammable, like concrete, metal safe, bathroom (but don’t get it wet). Chances are nothing bad will happen, but if it does metal fire is not fun.

Banderras's gear list:Banderras's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a7R II Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
REDunnLev
REDunnLev Contributing Member • Posts: 528

I  recommend taking the battery to your local electronics store for recycling or disposal.  I do not know what your experience with flammables is but my home is not adequately equipped for disposal.  Also, your local refuse company may have rules against including the batteries no matter how it is packaged.

BTW, I have two of those batteries.  I have never used them.  I am too scared to use the Power 2000 batteries.

REDunnLev's gear list:REDunnLev's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +6 more
OP icon1 Contributing Member • Posts: 648

Thanks for the tips from all of the above. Battery is gone and I will stay away from this brand in the future.

BubbaBob Regular Member • Posts: 398

Slightly off topic here but I've discovered that you can determine who makes better batteries by weighing them. The various 3rd party batteries for these cameras show a huge range of variation, as much as 100%. The heaviest ones are invariably the best ones. Good way to find fake Sony marked batteries, as well.

SpacemanUA

Just FYI. I have 1 Sony battery that came with a camera and 2xDSTE batteries. Sony weights 42 grams, DSTE - 43 grams each. No real complains on them so far but I rarely use those.

Sympa Senior Member • Posts: 1,826

Weight doesn't tell you everything. Look at this heavyweight Lithium-Iron technology:

Sympa's gear list:Sympa's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
BubbaBob Regular Member • Posts: 398

I've got some as light as 30 grams that aren't of much use. One of them is marked Sony but clearly isn't.

seuadr Contributing Member • Posts: 614

icon1 wrote:

The battery concerned is a Power 2000 brand. I first notiiced a couple of days ag that it was getting to be a tighter fit in the battery compartment. It is one of five others (Sony OEM and Wasabi) that I cycle through regularly. Today when I went to extract it from the A6500, the fit was so tight that I had to use tweezers to get a grip to pull it out. It has clearly expanded from its original size and is destined for appropriate disposal.

Has anyone had similar issues with this brand or others? I have had no problems with Wasabi or Sony using the Wasabi charger.

for what it's worth, i've used wasabi, newmowa and kastar batteries with no expansion problems - some of them are 5 or more years old.

i'm not familiar with that particular brand of battery though.

seuadr's gear list:seuadr's gear list
Sony a6500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads