TOPAZ DENOISE AI Artefacts

Started Jun 4, 2019 | Discussions
CrisL Contributing Member • Posts: 888
TOPAZ DENOISE AI Artefacts

First of all I must said I am loving to use Denoise AI and Sharpen AI with great results

But I want to ask if somebody experienced this kind of obvious artefact you can see below.

It looks to come or disapear  for some values of Remove Noise and Enhanced Sharpness

I reported to Topaz waiting for their reply.

CrisL's gear list:CrisL's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix 950 +5 more
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 7,450
Re: TOPAZ DENOISE AI Artefacts

That is strange indeed since there are no crazy highlights or anything there to start with, right?  Keep us posted.... thanks.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"I bet we'll find hints of extraterrestrial life before 2030" - Jamie Shreeve, Popular Science

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
Redcrown Senior Member • Posts: 1,742

I have not seen one that bad, but Sharpen AI gave me strange artifacts all over the place. I quickly rejected it. Often, artifacts would appear in the middle of a fairly monolithic area where the initial surrounding appeared identical to the bad area. Too much pixel peeping and hand masking required.

Far less trouble with Denoise AI. In fact, the "sharpen" feature in Denoise is very good and reliable. If it wasn't for the slow speed I'd use it more often to just sharpen.

Toermalijn
Toermalijn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,615

Redcrown wrote:

I have not seen one that bad, but Sharpen AI gave me strange artifacts all over the place. I quickly rejected it. Often, artifacts would appear in the middle of a fairly monolithic area where the initial surrounding appeared identical to the bad area. Too much pixel peeping and hand masking required.

Far less trouble with Denoise AI. In fact, the "sharpen" feature in Denoise is very good and reliable. If it wasn't for the slow speed I'd use it more often to just sharpen.

Haven't seen artifacts that bad either. But sharpen might increase artifacts that are allready there but not quite obvious. Tone down the settings and it might not produce these artifacts anymore.

poppyjk
poppyjk Contributing Member • Posts: 943

Saw a very similar artifact when working on a file last week.  It did not appear in the processed  output file, however.  Had me worried for a while.

Seems like the whole release process of DeNoise AI by Topaz has been full of quirks.  I have a non-techie friend who wants to try it.  I've told him it will probably another month or so before it is ready for prime time.

-- hide signature --

"Not all who wander are lost." —J.R.R. Tolkien

poppyjk's gear list:poppyjk's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +5 more
OP CrisL Contributing Member • Posts: 888

Not so simple because when the artifact is there after increasing remove noise it can disapears if i increase the sharpness !

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix 950 +5 more

For me the artifact was in the stored file

Topaz ask me the TIF so let's see if they can do conclude interesting

Jim B (MSP) Forum Pro • Posts: 10,763

That is a strange one. I have seen a couple of them - but generally not this big or certainly not this colorful.

I think we have to remember - AI means "artificial intelligence" and these kind of programs are just beginning and in the early stages of learning.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"It's all about the light"

Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 90D

Let's known that Topaz looks very responsive

here their last answer.

Adam Daugherty (Topaz)

Jun 7, 9:26 AM CDT

Hi Cris,

I wanted to follow up with you on this and let you know that our team is working to resolve this issue. I have been able to reproduce the issue with your image. We should be putting out an update in the near future to resolve this issue fully.

Be on the lookout for that update!

Jim B (MSP) Forum Pro • Posts: 10,763

CrisL wrote:

here their last answer.

Adam Daugherty (Topaz)

Hi Cris,

I wanted to follow up with you on this and let you know that our team is working to resolve this issue. I have been able to reproduce the issue with your image. We should be putting out an update in the near future to resolve this issue fully.

I have found them responsive in the past, so am not surprised.

I'll also await the update.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"It's all about the light"

Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 90D
fpessolano
fpessolano Veteran Member • Posts: 3,976

I have experienced the same artifact as well and also in the stored file.

-- hide signature --

https://500px.com/fpessolano
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fpessolano/
PS: No reply from me, I guess you are in my ignore list

fpessolano's gear list:fpessolano's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon Z7 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Z50 +2 more
SpartanWarrior
SpartanWarrior Veteran Member • Posts: 3,013

CrisL wrote:

here their last answer.

Adam Daugherty (Topaz)

Hi Cris,

They have excellent customer support and let me say Sharpen AI, Gigapixel AI, and DeNoise AI are just WOW they really hit it out of the ball park with those;)

SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 +3 more
Re: TOPAZ DENOISE AI ArtIfacts

Last news from Topaz:

FROM PRODUCT SUPPORT June 20:

This is an issue that we are aware of and are working to resolve this issue in the update to DeNoise AI. That release should come out in the next few weeks, though we do not have a set timeline at this point.

Please be on the lookout for an upcoming update!

Re: TOPAZ DENOISE AI ArtIfacts UPDATED

I just checked the TOPAZ Denoise AI new update 1.2

Topaz claiming is:

'Substantially reduced edge artifacts introduced in previous version while maintaining shadow details'.

There is probably the same improvement with the new version of Topaz sharpen AI

On this picture I was unable to reproduce the red artefact present in the previous version

whatever I push the parameters

So obviously something change for the best with the new model

Thank if somebody can confirm

Right is Topaz Denoise 1.2   Left previous version

fpessolano
fpessolano Veteran Member • Posts: 3,976

They replied to me the next update would solve both the red blob issue of denoise ai and the texture pattern issue of clean ai as they causes were identified,

‘so, we should hope they are finally gone.

-- hide signature --

https://500px.com/fpessolano
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fpessolano/
PS: No reply from me, I guess you are in my ignore list

fpessolano's gear list:fpessolano's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon Z7 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Z50 +2 more
Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 7,225

Interesting that I never had this problem, but it is good to know that it was mitigated.

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Sagittarius's gear list:Sagittarius's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +5 more

I can confirm that the new Topaz denoise AI version 1.2.0 has solve this problem

Don't known yet if it's beneficial with other smaller less visible color artifacts ?

I took the same picture with the same parameters with version 1.2.0 and can no longer see the big red artifact.

So Topaz developpers good job and encouraging for the future of their AI tools

Left Version 1.1  Right Version 1.2

Toermalijn
Toermalijn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,615

Sagittarius wrote:

Interesting that I never had this problem, but it is good to know that it was mitigated.

Never had that problem either. Could have something to do with rendering and drivers/brands.

hotpot65 Regular Member • Posts: 106

I have to say I have avoided using DeNoise AI due to some specular artefacts which gave some spots of incorrect colour. They were tamed a little by reducing sliders to small amounts.

The latest update has removed all of this. Images look clean although I still decrease the amounts compared to the auto suggested values.

hotpot65's gear list:hotpot65's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +5 more

hotpot65 wrote:

I have to say I have avoided using DeNoise AI due to some specular artefacts which gave some spots of incorrect colour. They were tamed a little by reducing sliders to small amounts.

The latest update has removed all of this. Images look clean although I still decrease the amounts compared to the auto suggested values.

I am now very happy with the results .for me I can stay with the auto values or often  increase the remove noise value and the detail  .

One trick use the display zoom 200 or 400 % to increase the speed during your trials to find the good values

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads