GR3 and infrared filter = Win !

Started 4 months ago | Photos
copper_master New Member • Posts: 6
GR3 and infrared filter = Win !

The title says it all, the gr3 is a stunning camera for all those like me that are into ir photography !

Sensor stabilization + excellent noise perf at 6400  + r72 is working perfectly for me, soI thought i'd share in case some of you guys are interested in it and hopefully are willing to try it too !

Iso 6400, 1/10th of a second, Hoya r72, handheld

Same settings than before

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Ricoh Caplio R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Retzius
Retzius Contributing Member • Posts: 846
Re: GR3 and infrared filter = Win !

Thats really nice. I think I will give it a try.

Retzius's gear list:Retzius's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Ricoh GR III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +7 more
Paul JN Regular Member • Posts: 410

Superb. Very nice indeed!

Paul JN's gear list:Paul JN's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Ricoh GR III Leica Q Sony a9 Sony a7R IV +8 more
CharlieBP Junior Member • Posts: 35

These are great, thanks for sharing!

(Why do you make me buy stuff! )

toddrichter New Member • Posts: 4

Sorry for the potentially stupid question, were these taken with the wide angle lens adapter + filter screwed in or just free holding the filter in front of the lens? They came out really well!

MrHollywood
MrHollywood Senior Member • Posts: 3,131

copper_master wrote:

The title says it all, the gr3 is a stunning camera for all those like me that are into ir photography !

Sensor stabilization + excellent noise perf at 6400 + r72 is working perfectly for me, soI thought i'd share in case some of you guys are interested in it and hopefully are willing to try it too !

Iso 6400, 1/10th of a second, Hoya r72, handheld

Same settings than before

VERY nice!!!

Rob

-- hide signature --

"We need a bigger boat."

MrHollywood's gear list:MrHollywood's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +15 more

toddrichter wrote:

Sorry for the potentially stupid question, were these taken with the wide angle lens adapter + filter screwed in or just free holding the filter in front of the lens? They came out really well!

+1 on this question, I would want to make sure to buy the right filter.

JacobTheNewb
JacobTheNewb Regular Member • Posts: 149

So cool! What filter did you use? Did you attach it to the lens adapter?

-- hide signature --

The biggest limiting factor is me not the camera.
Flickr Profile

JacobTheNewb's gear list:JacobTheNewb's gear list
Sony DSC-RX0
jsla Forum Member • Posts: 75

CharlieBP wrote:

toddrichter wrote:

Couldn't wait, and since I already have the lens adapter, I just ordered Hoya r72 @ 49mm. We'll see how that works.

Ishpuini Veteran Member • Posts: 6,236
How did you PP?

Great shots!

I've already shot some IR images on my GRIII as well. Using the same Hoya R72 filter. However, I haven't been able to generate an IR camera profile for Lightroom (using Adobe's DNG profile editor) so I could get the colour temperature down far enough prior to swapping the channels (haven't tried since Lightroom added GRIII support though). This is the way I did false colour IR before on my DLSRs. Not having the profile, I didn't know how to get the colours and I went for a B&W conversion instead.

How did you post process your DNGs? I would love to know, so I can put my shots through that process as well.

Tx!! Wim

-- hide signature --

Antwerp, Belgium, GMT+1

Ishpuini's gear list:Ishpuini's gear list
Ricoh Theta S Ricoh GR III Pentax Q Pentax K-3 II Pentax Q-S1 +21 more
Solved

Solved. Now Adobe supports the GR III and has profiles for it, I can use the DNG Profile Editor to make my IR profile. Sorry, should have tried before posting this...

Wim

-- hide signature --

Antwerp, Belgium, GMT+1

jsla wrote:

CharlieBP wrote:

toddrichter wrote:

Couldn't wait, and since I already have the lens adapter, I just ordered Hoya r72 @ 49mm. We'll see how that works.

Hey, sorry for the dumb question but which lens adapter do you use to make the 49mm filter fit? I can only find the adapter for the wide angle lens - but that's not the one, right?

MrHollywood
MrHollywood Senior Member • Posts: 3,131

CharlieBP wrote:

jsla wrote:

CharlieBP wrote:

toddrichter wrote:

Hey, sorry for the dumb question but which lens adapter do you use to make the 49mm filter fit? I can only find the adapter for the wide angle lens - but that's not the one, right?

Lens Adapter GA-1 lets you use 49mm filters and the WA lens

And if you need extra protection, also good with a lens cap to seal things up better.

Rob

-- hide signature --

"We need a bigger boat."

MrHollywood's gear list:MrHollywood's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +15 more

MrHollywood wrote:

CharlieBP wrote:

jsla wrote:

CharlieBP wrote:

toddrichter wrote:

And if you need extra protection, also good with a lens cap to seal things up better.

Rob

As he said. GA-1 has 49mm filter thread, that will accept any standard filter, as well as GW-4 wide conversion lens. I used it before for CPL filter. It does provide some extra seal against dust, but it also makes camera no longer pocketable.

Quick and dirty picture from my phone to demonstrate with filter in the thread.

The only thing you can't do is use filter with the wide angle lens. The lens has its own filter thread  (72mm), but the manual warns that putting any filter on it will result in vignetting and I believe from my experience that is true.

jsla wrote:

MrHollywood wrote:

CharlieBP wrote:

jsla wrote:

CharlieBP wrote:

toddrichter wrote:

Rob

As he said. GA-1 has 49mm filter thread, that will accept any standard filter, as well as GW-4 wide conversion lens. I used it before for CPL filter. It does provide some extra seal against dust, but it also makes camera no longer pocketable.

Quick and dirty picture from my phone to demonstrate with filter in the thread.

The only thing you can't do is use filter with the wide angle lens. The lens has its own filter thread (72mm), but the manual warns that putting any filter on it will result in vignetting and I believe from my experience that is true.

Thanks so much! I always thought that the sensor needed to be adjusted /tweaked to get infra-red photos.

How much additional work do you think is needed to get some comparable result as the example photos shown in the first post? (not trying to shy away from additional work, just to get an idea).

toddrichter New Member • Posts: 4

Please let us know how it goes! I am refreshing this thread to see if OP responds about his specific tools/technique. Can't find much other discussion of people using a GR(III) for infrared photography out there.

toddrichter wrote:

Please let us know how it goes! I am refreshing this thread to see if OP responds about his specific tools/technique. Can't find much other discussion of people using a GR(III) for infrared photography out there.

Well, the filter works, obviously. Other than that, I haven't been very successful so far. I am not able to set custom WB on the camera with r72, I just get "Data process failed" every time. But that's probably least of the problems - I can live with red tinted image on the LCD or just switch to B&W and I always shoot RAW anyway. The real problem is that I cannot get any sort of reasonable false colors as the ones the OP posted in PP (I use Darktable). If I try to white balance on leafs, or indeed anything, I just end up with monochromatic soft grey-scale image. No amount of channel swapping or saturation seems to help. I may experiment a bit more, but unless OP enlightens us, I am kind of at dead end here.

The good news for me is that the 49mm filter works nicely with my Pentax DSLR (KP). Which was rumored to have same sensor. I can get pretty nice false colors. But as far as title of this thread is concerned, GR3 and IR for me is fail.:-(

Popping in since the OP seems to be absent.

It's true that sometimes there is little colour to play with. I've only spent half a day doing IR photography with the GRIII and could only decently process my images after Adobe included support for the GRIII in their software, but the few images I processed since (the day before yesterday) did show varying results.

First thing: it is important to be able to set the White Balance beyond the range that Adobe Lightroom allows. I don't know about other RAW developing software (this might not be a concern in your software). With Adobe, you can achieve that by using their DNG Profile Editor to open a GRIII DNG exported from LR, lower the temperature to minimum and exporting that as a new profile with a clear name (I simply called it "Infrared"). That profile needs to be added in LR. Once this is done it is available for all images taken with the GRIII, and it allows setting the WB outside the default range, as required for IR images shot through a filter like Hoya's R72.

When setting the WB for white on leaves, the sky should turn orange. If there is orange, Red<>Blue channel swapping can make that blue. However, I've noticed that this doesn't happen for all images. The best results in my case were for the sky higher up with deeper blues. If the only bit of sky visible was a rim just above the horizon, I generally found very little colour. That might depend on latitude or sun position.

Same for the foreground. It really depends on how the light hits it, and how the material reflects it. Since IR is just outside our visible range, and it's very hard to judge anything on the in-camera image, I guess it comes down to experience to know what works and what doesn't? Again, my results varied a lot. Weather permitting, I'll continue experimenting, but I haven't gotten the hang of it yet.

Perhaps you just were unlucky in the subjects you had at hand?

All the best!

Wim

-- hide signature --

Antwerp, Belgium, GMT+1

shorelineae Junior Member • Posts: 34

Beautiful. I've sent in my Ricoh GR2 for full-spectrum infrared conversion - I'm excited!

OP copper_master New Member • Posts: 6

Sorry for the late anser ('cause finals and all that stuff are so f*cking time consuming) ; I really just handheld the filter in front of the lens and it worked well enough ! As soon as my 3d printer is back alive i'll try to model and print a filter holder but for now... I'm fine with handholding !

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads