My D500 shoots 11+ fps

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Greyser Veteran Member • Posts: 6,096
My D500 shoots 11+ fps

I was testing how my new D850 performs with EN-EL18c grip power (supposed to be faster than regular EN-EL15 battery). I got so unexpected preliminary results that I also decided to try my 2-years old D500. I simply shot my tablet with online stopwatch running at highest fps setup with Nikkor 500/5.6 PF wide open.

I did test D500 equipped with two different batteries and two differently branded XQD 64GB cards. Generally speaking, if I calculate how many frames my camera may shoot at the closest to 1 second period of time that is what I got:

1. 11 frames at 0.982 sec - for Lexar-XQD 64GB card and freshly charged non-Nikon EN-EL15 Green Extreme battery
  2. 11 frames at 0.981 sec - for Lexar-XQD 64GB card and freshly charged Nikon EN-EL15 battery
  3. 11 frames at 0.954 sec - for Sony-XQD 64GB card and freshly charged Nikon EN-EL15 battery

For the longer bursts, if calculated equally for 19 frames of the shortest burst tested the fps. become a bit shorter:

1. 11fps
  2. 10.6fps
  3. 10fps correspondingly

However, the last 10fps result may be somehow corrupted, because previously  for the same setup 11 frames  required shortest period of time of 0.954 sec. which corresponds to 11.5 fps.

Below is a sample of one the frame what I was shooting:

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Sigma 500mm F4 Sport Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ContaxRTSII Regular Member • Posts: 316
Re: My D500 shoots 11+ fps

Interesting experiments, isn't D500 supposed to take 10fps with regular EN-EL15 battery already?

ContaxRTSII's gear list:ContaxRTSII's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VI Nikon D3S Nikon D500 Sony a9 +21 more
xGumbyx Regular Member • Posts: 362

Web clocks aren't always a reliable source to use as a stopwatch unless they are using some sort of script that is reading the exact time on the computer itself.  You'd be better off using a stopwatch or even a stopwatch app on the tablet. It's also nearly impossible to start taking pictures and pressing start on a stopwatch at the same time (if that's what you were doing).  The time of the first image should be subtracted from the time of the 11th image to see if you are under 10 seconds.

You can also simply just burst 11+ images and then check the image timestamps.

I'm not saying your camera isn't doing 11fps, I'm just saying more investigating is needed.  Others have claimed that their D500 is shooting over 10fps in the past but when it was looked at closer it appears that they weren't.  Cool beans if yours is though!

xGumbyx's gear list:xGumbyx's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon D850 +7 more
OP Greyser Veteran Member • Posts: 6,096

xGumbyx wrote:

Web clocks aren't always a reliable source to use as a stopwatch unless they are using some sort of script that is reading the exact time on the computer itself.

It should be generated by quartz crystal. Isn't it? How come it is not really accurate for you?

You'd be better off using a stopwatch or even a stopwatch app on the tablet.

Long time ago I did similar test shooting a real stopwatch. Don't think there is difference.

It's also nearly impossible to start taking pictures and pressing start on a stopwatch at the same time (if that's what you were doing). The time of the first image should be subtracted from the time of the 11th image to see if you are under 10 seconds.

Nobody needs to start a stopwatch. Just keep it running and shoot the bursts.

You can also simply just burst 11+ images and then check the image timestamps.

That was exactly what I did.

I'm not saying your camera isn't doing 11fps, I'm just saying more investigating is needed. Others have claimed that their D500 is shooting over 10fps in the past but when it was looked at closer it appears that they weren't. Cool beans if yours is though!

The different 11-frame slices from long bursts of 20-30+ frame sequences are very consistent. So, at least for the short bursts, I'm pretty confident that my D500 shoots 11+ fps.

ContaxRTSII wrote:

Interesting experiments, isn't D500 supposed to take 10fps with regular EN-EL15 battery already?

Yep. But it shoots 11+ fps even with 3rd party battery.

Shot all RAW no JPEGs

Just forgot to mention that I shot all RAW no JPEGs

Greyser wrote:

It should be generated by quartz crystal. Isn't it? How come it is not really accurate for you?

Not really no, a web stopwatch is a piece of software, not a quartz crystal.  Again, I'm not trying to call you a liar.  It would be cool if you could post images 1 through 11? Or even the first and last in a burst.

You're shooting raw, are you shooting 14bit uncompressed?

Nikon D500 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon D850 +7 more
n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,980

Greyser wrote:

I was testing how my new D850 performs with EN-EL18c grip power (supposed to be faster than regular EN-EL15 battery). I got so unexpected preliminary results that I also decided to try my 2-years old D500. I simply shot my tablet with online stopwatch running at highest fps setup with Nikkor 500/5.6 PF wide open.

I did test D500 equipped with two different batteries and two differently branded XQD 64GB cards. Generally speaking, if I calculate how many frames my camera may shoot at the closest to 1 second period of time that is what I got:

1. 11 frames at 0.982 sec - for Lexar-XQD 64GB card and freshly charged non-Nikon EN-EL15 Green Extreme battery
  2. 11 frames at 0.981 sec - for Lexar-XQD 64GB card and freshly charged Nikon EN-EL15 battery
  3. 11 frames at 0.954 sec - for Sony-XQD 64GB card and freshly charged Nikon EN-EL15 battery

For the longer bursts, if calculated equally for 19 frames of the shortest burst tested the fps. become a bit shorter:

1. 11fps
  2. 10.6fps
  3. 10fps correspondingly

However, the last 10fps result may be somehow corrupted, because previously for the same setup 11 frames required shortest period of time of 0.954 sec. which corresponds to 11.5 fps.

Below is a sample of one the frame what I was shooting:

I believe it would be more accurate to look at the timestamp of your files.  You may need some software to see it. For instance, Corel AftershotPro shows me the timestamp as "yyyy:mm:dd hh:mm:ss:ttt", where "ttt" stands for thousandths of a second.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more

xGumbyx wrote:

Greyser wrote:

Not really no, a web stopwatch is a piece of software, not a quartz crystal. Again, I'm not trying to call you a liar. It would be cool if you could post images 1 through 11? Or even the first and last in a burst.

There are 1st and 11th images from the sequence:

1st

11th

Yes, I shoot 14 bit RAW, don't remember compressed or uncompressed though. It is too late now to verify.

briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,320

Greyser wrote:

xGumbyx wrote:

Greyser wrote:

Not really no, a web stopwatch is a piece of software, not a quartz crystal. Again, I'm not trying to call you a liar. It would be cool if you could post images 1 through 11? Or even the first and last in a burst.

1st

11th

Yes, I shoot 14 bit RAW, don't remember compressed or uncompressed though. It is too late now to verify.

OK, so the 11th frame was timed at 0.954 seconds after the first.  Over a long period, that's a rate of 10 frames in every 0.954 seconds, not 11 - which converts to 10.482 fps, not "11+" fps.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +22 more

Greyser wrote:

1st

11th

This is basically the same as what we have seen others posting in the past when they say they can shoot over 10fps on their d500. In any given 1 second period you can shoot 10.482 frames per second. However since it's not possible to shoot a fraction of an image that number needs to be rounded down to the last whole digit leaving you with 10 frames in 1 second (slightly less than a second as the math shows).

The math shows that 11th frame falls in the 1st second but not below or equal to 1 seconds.

**Editing this as my post was late last night and my maths were incorrect as I was dividing by 10 not 11.  If indeed those are your first and eleventh photos then it does appear you are getting 11 frames in under one second. You appear to have a unicorn D500

LensOnSport Forum Member • Posts: 75

Haha! Lots of fun. Thought I'd give it a try. Running a Sony XQD card on my D500, I could manage 11 frames in under one second only with 12 bit raw and basic jpgs. Other settings (14 bit raw and higher jpg modes) achieved 10 frames.

LensOnSport's gear list:LensOnSport's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 +7 more

Thinking about this further, the first captured image is not at time 0 which I think is where I've confused myself as well as perhaps the op.  Based on averages over 11 raw 14bit uncompressed shots the following happens

start timer

1 = 0.0954 seconds

2 = 0.1908

3 = 0.2862

4 = 0.3816

5 = 0.477

6 = 0.5724

7 = 0.6678

8 = 0.7632

9 = 0.8586

10 = 0.954

11 = 1.0494

So I'm back to my original conclusion, the 11th shot is over 1 second.

Let’s be practical

I had no intention to reveal absolute truth. I don’t care what is average fps. derived from longer bursts are. Nobody shoots 20-30 frames in the row. Not me at least. I don’t care about calibrated measuring tools, validated test methods, proper methodology and scientific nuances of data collection (I’m mechanical engineer, and I hold Ph.D. in Material Science, BTW). However, what I see is very simple and practical for me as a birder. Every time when I randomly picked up 11 frames from the longer bursts I shot they corresponded to less than one second time spent. It means that every time when I shoot my common bursts of 5-7 frames of 14-bit, compressed (if I remember correctly), RAW data, my D500 frame rate is higher than per spec. which is a pleasant surprise for me. I humbly put it as 11+ fps, but it does not matter actually how to define it: 10+ or 11- 😊 The results came out non-intentionally as a byproduct of D850 grip extra fps. evaluation. I just wanted to share my findings with other D500 users.

Happy shooting everyone,

SG

LensOnSport Forum Member • Posts: 75

This is interesting (but a bit moot.) Anyway, are we measuring from when you depress the shutter button or from when the first image is actually captured? The claim "ten frames per second" would seem to point to ten shutter actuations within a one second interval. I'm thinking the clock "starts" upon the first image capture.

LensOnSport's gear list:LensOnSport's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 +7 more
briantilley
Re: Let’s be practical

Greyser wrote:

I had no intention to reveal absolute truth. I don’t care what is average fps. derived from longer bursts are. Nobody shoots 20-30 frames in the row. Not me at least. I don’t care about calibrated measuring tools, validated test methods, proper methodology and scientific nuances of data collection (I’m mechanical engineer, and I hold Ph.D. in Material Science, BTW). However, what I see is very simple and practical for me as a birder. Every time when I randomly picked up 11 frames from the longer bursts I shot they corresponded to less than one second time spent. It means that every time when I shoot my common bursts of 5-7 frames of 14-bit, compressed (if I remember correctly), RAW data, my D500 frame rate is higher than per spec. which is a pleasant surprise for me. I humbly put it as 11+ fps, but it does not matter actually how to define it: 10+ or 11- 😊 The results came out non-intentionally as a byproduct of D850 grip extra fps. evaluation. I just wanted to share my findings with other D500 users.

You're right that it doesn't really matter for everyday use - but your original post seemed to suggest that you were happy that your D500 exceeded the manufacturer's rating.  Hopefully, my earlier post explained why that isn't the case

Nikon Df Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +22 more

briantilley wrote:

Greyser wrote:

You're right that it doesn't really matter for everyday use - but your original post seemed to suggest that you were happy that your D500 exceeded the manufacturer's rating. Hopefully, my earlier post explained why that isn't the case

There is your referenced post:

OK, so the 11th frame was timed at 0.954 seconds after the first. Over a long period, that's a rate of 10 frames in every 0.954 seconds, not 11 - which converts to 10.482 fps, not "11+" fps.

Again as a real user I do not care about "over long time period" calculations. What I know for the fact that my every 11-frame burst shows less than 1 sec period of time. To me with my shooting habits it is 11+ fps.

briantilley

Greyser wrote:

briantilley wrote:

Greyser wrote:

You're right that it doesn't really matter for everyday use - but your original post seemed to suggest that you were happy that your D500 exceeded the manufacturer's rating. Hopefully, my earlier post explained why that isn't the case

There is your referenced post:

OK, so the 11th frame was timed at 0.954 seconds after the first. Over a long period, that's a rate of 10 frames in every 0.954 seconds, not 11 - which converts to 10.482 fps, not "11+" fps.

Again as a real user I do not care about "over long time period" calculations. What I know for the fact that my every 11-frame burst shows less than 1 sec period of time. To me with my shooting habits it is 11+ fps.

I'm not questioning your measurements, just the inferences you draw from them

Your camera (as explained) appears to be shooting at 10.48 fps.

If you take the first frame as the start of the timing period, you will alway see the 11th frame occuring before a second has elapsed, but that does not mean that you are getting "11+" fps.

Let's try to simplify things - imagine that a camera is set up to shoot one frame every 0.95 seconds.  That's about 1.05 fps - agreed?  With your method, you'd see two frames occurring within the one-second timing window, but hopefully you wouldn't infer that your camera was shooting at 2 fps.  Would you...?

The timer starts when you depress the shutter button, not when the first image is captured. Your first image is not zero for time, it is 0.952 or whatever it was.

If you want to use a stopwatch like you are to measure the time it takes for 11 frames to happen then you must take 12 frames and the first images is image 0 and time 0.  Counting up from there gives you only 10 frames when the clock hits 1 second.

xGumbyx wrote:

The timer starts when you depress the shutter button, not when the first image is captured. Your first image is not zero for time, it is 0.952 or whatever it was.

If you want to use a stopwatch like you are to measure the time it takes for 11 frames to happen then you must take 12 frames and the first images is image 0 and time 0. Counting up from there gives you only 10 frames when the clock hits 1 second.

I understood what you said. However, hear me out please. Let's say, I pressed the shutter while stopwatch is running already and took 15-20 frames burst. Then on my computer I calculate time period between frame #2 and 12 or # 5 and #15, whatever, which is equal to 0.954 sec. (0.981-0.982 sec. with Lexar XQD card) and associated with eleven (11) not virtual fps. but real images.

Probably my OP title is slightly deceiving and incorrect. Actually I don't care about fps. at all. However, I like the fact that my camera at some point is able to document 11 RAW images during less than 1 sec. period of time even, if the very first shot, associated with shutter press is out of scope. Makes sense? And in real life I mostly shoot at least twice shorter bursts.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads