“Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering.”

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
HornOUBet
HornOUBet Senior Member • Posts: 2,217
What's up??

Our system has been under attack since it first came out....our system improved when micro-4/3's was introduced.....we have new cameras and lenses coming out all the time.... we are still hanging in there.....the big boys have been forced by the market to copy some of our ideas.....

What's your worry???

-- hide signature --

Dwight
take a peek at the world I see at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96816407@N07/
There are 2 types of photographers....
...those that see the forest.........and those who see the trees....

HornOUBet's gear list:HornOUBet's gear list
Canon G3 X Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS 550D Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +18 more
Photo Pete Veteran Member • Posts: 4,895
Re: Sweet Nothing

Okapi001 wrote:

NCV wrote:

Brand fans are pathetic creatures, full stop.

The only pathetic thing here is your patronizing attitude.

Aw. There there. We understand. Don’t you worry yourself into a state about it. NCV wasn’t trying to upset you personally.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 13,351
Re: Sweet Nothing

They are not fans but sales reps. i recon half the members here are sales guys.

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM5mk2 ,EM1mk2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1

MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,496
If I want one ....

If I want one and can afford it I will buy one.  If I cannot afford it I will not buy one and will not even bother with reading specifications about what it can do as there is not much satisfaction from merely dreaming.

Lots of the negativity comes from those that cannot afford a Ferrari even if they read the specifications and road tests and can only dream of winning the lottery.  So they comment that the car is no use for shopping trips and that their V8 powered SUV can drag one off at traffic lights - because it is full of equivalence.

I know I can never afford a Ferrari so I only check out the cars that I can actually afford.

I might not be able to afford a fancy exotic car but I can afford the odd exotic lens.  So I am a legitimate prospective buyer.  I am not wafted away from my delight in M4/3 just because others wish to pan it.  Why might such superior beings need to bother voicing their “superior knowledge” of matters that they are not in the slightest bit interested in?

Oh ....sorry they want “cheap small stuff” or large hollow boxes with extra equivalent cubic millimetres: “cheap larger stuff”.

Who really cares what the equivalence might be.  Will it give me enjoyment in using it and do I have the money to make it happen? Thereby ends the story.

So the knockers knock because they cannot afford but somehow are drawn to read the specifications for some obscure reason known only to themselves.

Classic sour grapes.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

PoohBill
PoohBill Regular Member • Posts: 289
Re: “Fear is the path....”

I'm with you on this. A way I tried recently was to moderate my own thread, one where I asked a question, looking for specific information. I then Replied to those who went off topic, reminding them and the other readers of the thread's purpose.

a bit of a bummer I suppose, but the answers got more focused and to the point.

-- hide signature --

Bill

PoohBill's gear list:PoohBill's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +3 more
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 2,850
Re: “Fear is the path to the dark side… etc

It's an article on the news page. Any member is entitled to comment on it. If there is a comment you find factually incorrect, feel free to challenge it. Otherwise, just chill.

Whenever new products are featured some people will make negative comments. Did you happen to notice when the Canon and Nikon full frame mirrorless cameras were released? There was a flood of critical comments alongside the positive ones, many of them pretty ridiculous. No system is immune from negative comments. It's the internet, just chill.

Some m4/3 owners on here talk about snowflake full frame owners who can't cope when a good m4/3 product is released. But some of those same m4/3 owners turn into complete snowflakes at the slightest criticism of any m4/3 product. Overly zealous brand or system loyal is pretty silly, whoever's doing it.

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S1 Pro Nikon D50 Canon EOS 500D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 +5 more
Donald B

New Day Rising wrote:

It's an article on the news page. Any member is entitled to comment on it. If there is a comment you find factually incorrect, feel free to challenge it. Otherwise, just chill.

Whenever new products are featured some people will make negative comments. Did you happen to notice when the Canon and Nikon full frame mirrorless cameras were released? There was a flood of critical comments alongside the positive ones, many of them pretty ridiculous. No system is immune from negative comments. It's the internet, just chill.

when a $ 6,000  camera cant review an image instantly in the vf and a $500 one can that thats being critical LOL

Don

Some m4/3 owners on here talk about snowflake full frame owners who can't cope when a good m4/3 product is released. But some of those same m4/3 owners turn into complete snowflakes at the slightest criticism of any m4/3 product. Overly zealous brand or system loyal is pretty silly, whoever's doing it.

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM5mk2 ,EM1mk2

Franz Weber
Franz Weber Contributing Member • Posts: 518
May be the force with you

Forget the anger you must. And learn to use proper grammar. And stop talking like Yoda.

-- hide signature --

This column is intended for something inspiring, something meaningful or at least something that makes any sense at all. I‘ll work on it.

Franz Weber's gear list:Franz Weber's gear list
Canon G7 X II Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 +4 more
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 2,850

Donald B wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

when a $ 6,000 camera cant review an image instantly in the vf and a $500 one can that thats being critical LOL

Don

What Canon or Nikon full frame mirrorless costs $6,000?

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S1 Pro Nikon D50 Canon EOS 500D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 +5 more
Donald B

New Day Rising wrote:

Donald B wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

when a $ 6,000 camera cant review an image instantly in the vf and a $500 one can that thats being critical LOL

Don

What Canon or Nikon full frame mirrorless costs $6,000?

The z7 was released at 6k here in aus. just to rub in the salt my 10 year old pentax k7 could instant review with its quad core processor. 10 years ago .

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM5mk2 ,EM1mk2

MrALLCAPS
MrALLCAPS Contributing Member • Posts: 791
Do NOTHING.

Or buy it if you need it when it comes out and draw your own conclusion.

My gosh! The insecurity continues. Just ignore the talk and shoot what you like. If youre going to feed into the negativity, maybe you're just questioning yourself if you brought into the right system.

I may even bring up some questionable decisions M43 makes every now and then, even moved on from M43, but so? If you enjoy the portability and you make the images work for you and your clients, then why does people you don't even know comments matter?

Just enjoy you system. There are just too many "complaining" posts here in the M43 forum. By a mile compared to others. It needs to stop.

MrALLCAPS's gear list:MrALLCAPS's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z6
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 24,686

Donald B wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

Don

which 6,000 dollar camera are you talking about?

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +1 more
nextcube Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: No fear

sbu wrote:

Don’t read too much into the trolling of a few individuals. The fate of MFT does not depend on the comments section. I believe most DPR visisters never read the comments.

Let’s instead enjoy panasonic has released a fast standard zoom. I’m not personally interested in the short focal length of this lens, but if they would release something similar for 35mm - 75mm it would get really interesting.

+1

Panasonic and Olympus are continuing to invest in u4/3, indicating that they're making enough money on the cameras and lenses to justify the effort, regardless of the nattering nabobs of negativity.

nextcube's gear list:nextcube's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
yonsito Regular Member • Posts: 170
And saying this, he spurred his horse Rocinante ...

... without heeding what his squire Sancho was shouting to him, that he was attacking windmills and not giants. But he was so certain they were giants that he paid no attention to his squire Sancho’s shouts, nor did he see what they were, even though he was very close. Rather, he went on shouting: “Do not flee, cowards and vile creatures, for it’s just one knight attacking you!”

At this point, the wind increased a bit and the large sails began to move, which Don Quixote observed and said: “Even though you wave more arms than Briareus, you’ll have to answer to me.”

When he said this—and commending himself with all his heart to his lady Dulcinea, asking her to aid him in that peril, well-covered by his shield, with his lance on the lance rest —he attacked at Rocinante’s full gallop and assailed the first windmill he came to. He gave a thrust into the sail with his lance just as a rush of air accelerated it with such fury that it broke the lance to bits, taking the horse and knight with it, and tossed him rolling onto the ground, very battered.

yonsito's gear list:yonsito's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +11 more
OLY23 Regular Member • Posts: 134
Re: Do NOTHING.

Is it something in the water?

sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,148
Intervention

The real question you need to ask yourself is why you are so emotionally invested in the online perception of your camera system of choice in the first place.

I suppose the easy, comfortable, short term "solution" would be to leave DPR for more pro M43 pastures like 43rumors.com. But that won't address the far more serious underlying issue.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
LoneTree1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,322
Re: If I want one ....

Anyone with an average income who ruminates on not being able to afford a Ferrari is likely mentally-unstable.

HRC2016 Senior Member • Posts: 4,532
For starters ...

It is not our job to hype this format or any brands/products. That's just lying and leads to consumers regretting their purchases. Consider Panny's 100-400.

You know what would really help the system?  Treatment for GAS. Buying gear that has minor upgrades is a good way to reward cowardly manufacturers. Why would a company spend money on R&D when people will buy whatever is new and shiny.

What will also help is using logical titles in threads, which the OP has not done. That way we won't waste our time reading threads that are pointless.

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
LoneTree1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,322
Re: For starters ...

Like the "South Park" episode where Eric Cartman is tasked by a P.C. school principal to vet Steven Seagal's incoming social media posts and make sure he only sees the ones praising him!

Velocity of Sound
Velocity of Sound Contributing Member • Posts: 800
Insecurity of the majority

Pete_W wrote:

My guess is that many FF camera users have a nagging insecurity that a smaller and generally less expensive format can perform so well which makes their investment look silly.

Everyone is insecure.  We all want to feel like we've bought the best that our money can buy.  The bigger underlying fear - one which the OP is addressing - is that we've chosen the wrong brand, and that it'll eventually go out of business leaving us with an unsupported system (and with gear that will quickly lose its value, making jumping to another system more expensive).

To address the first point, "full frame" camera users aren't just insecure about µ4/3.  Many mock some medium format systems (Fuji's GFX system), as well.  µ4/3 is criticized as "the sensor is smaller, so of course it's worse" and medium format is criticized as "the difference isn't enough to warrant the cost."  But then you see plenty of µ4/3 users feeling insecure about their choice, and while it's rarer, I've seen some GFX users crowing about their system over "full frame" in such a manner that I believe they're insecure, too.

To the second point (wanting to correct public perceptions to bring the brand better financial health), it's a nice goal but not one that we can do much about beyond taking and sharing good photos.  If you try to talk with people it invariably devolves into equivalence nonsense.  The photography community has largely decided that sensors below a certain size are doomed to certain performance limitations, and no amount of discussion will change that.  People have to see it with their own eyes to start thinking differently.

Velocity of Sound's gear list:Velocity of Sound's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm GFX 50S Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 35-100mm 1:2.0 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads