75 mm filters holder and Fuji XF 16 1.4

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Patapon New Member • Posts: 4
75 mm filters holder and Fuji XF 16 1.4

Hi every one. First post here, but a great source of information for many months now. I’d like to have a confirmation from you about filters.

I’m thinking about buying a filters holder system like the NiSi m75 or Lee Seven5, never used filters before. Choosing square filters over screw ones to use them easily with different lenses. Can someone using one of these confirm I won’t get vignetting with the Fuji XF 16 f1.4, even when staking the CPL and 2 NDs ? NiSi confirmed this by mail but without details about filters stacking.

This is my widest lens, and I don’t plan on buying the 10-24, or one of the large aperture zooms. But maybe in the future, the Samyang 12. So same (optional) question for this 12 mm (compatible according to NiSi mail, but the 10-24 is known to be vignetting at around 12).

Thanks everyone.

Patapon's gear list:Patapon's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T3
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
grey pilgrim Contributing Member • Posts: 625
Re: 75 mm filters holder and Fuji XF 16 1.4

I use the lee Seven5 system and really like it. I have used it on the 10-24 at 12 without vignetting, so you should be okay.

Remember that it maxes out at 72mm filter thread adapter size, so any lens (16-55) with 77mm won’t work.

Doug

-- hide signature --

https://www.castleintheair.photos/
X-T1, X-T20, infrared converted X-E2
Lenses: Laowa 9, Rok 12, 14, 23f2, 35f1.4, 35f2, 56, 60, 10-24, 18-55, 55-200
You keep using that word; I do not think it means what you think it
means -- Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

Fuji Maine Regular Member • Posts: 472

The 16mm is a 67mm filter thread diameter so I can't imagine that at 75 you'd have any issues. I don't personally use that system so I can't speak for how that may interact but I can't imagine it sticks out further than the stock hood for the 16mm and that isn't visible in images.

OP Patapon New Member • Posts: 4

Thanks for your answers. Someone on a French forum calculated that the filters should be very close to the lens to avoid vignetting, due to the light angle  of the front element.. Guess it should be the case. But if someone is or has been using this combination, I would appreciate a comment about stacking 2 filters.

Manny82 Contributing Member • Posts: 710

Yes exactly, it's not just about buying filters slightly larger than the diameter of the lens. If you plan to stack filters, say an solid filter plus an ND grad plus maybe even a circular polariser on top (very common) then you need to account for the fact that the circular polariser will be like at least half an inch from the lens front (depending on the system). At super wide angles you will run into problems because of the angle of view of such wide angles. You may be ok with the XF16mm (24mm equiv) with the smaller Lee system, but I suspect you'll run into problem with the Samyang 12mm if stacking.

I use the Format Hitech Firecrest Joel Tjintjelaar Signature Edition Long Exposure Filter Kit 1. It's the 100mm kit plus I bought a Firecrest 105mm circular polariser for it.

When I used to use this on my D750 and Nikon 18-35mm lens, if stacked, I would still get slight vignetting at 18mm. So it all depends on if you wish to stack. Also for what it's worth, I know that Formatt Hitech totally changed the design of the filter holder system to reduce these issues - the new holder is very clever. I've never used it, but I can see it would be a lot better than conventional older designs.

Sorry for all the info, you probably don't care for half of it, but it may give you some food for thought.

Manny82's gear list:Manny82's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
OP Patapon New Member • Posts: 4

Thank you, users information is always useful. I've asked Nisi France, it confirms there shouldn't be vignetting with the 16 mm even if stacking. Not planning on buying larger lenses for now, so the compact size (and price !) of a 75 mm system seemed ideal. But thinking about it, I may end up buying a 100 mm to avoid problem if I change camera gear or buy big lenses in the future.

I'm going to ask my camera shop if I can buy a 75 mm system, and return it if there is vignetting, I'll let you know the results.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads