Having my first child, what is a solid but affordable upgrade from my X100?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Sal Baker Forum Pro • Posts: 11,489
Re: Having my first child, what is a solid but affordable upgrade from my X100?

I upgraded from my X-E2 to the X-T100 and couldn't be more pleased.  The IQ is stunning, well built, and the fully articulating screen let's you get shots that would be difficult otherwise.  For $399 with a full warranty, you can put the savings into great Fuji glass.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Rmcp20 Senior Member • Posts: 1,004

CatholicBlock wrote:

Here’s the two problems with the camera I’ve used and loved for several years (and yes, it’s the very first X100!):

1) the 23mm fixed lens is probably not the best for portraits of my newborn, and

That is true, but that focal lengh is you friend believe me. You can be close to the newborn and still get the shoot (and you x100 will work fine for the first 2 months).

For portraits, get a 50mm f2 or the 35mm 1.4. First pairs better with a 23mm and focuses faster, the second gets you an extra stop of light for interior shoots and can work as a walkaround lens.

2) the camera is sloooow. It’s been okay for vacation shots when traveling with my wife, but only barely. AF is especially awful in low light.

There is a feature you will want to have, eye-AF. I just tested the X-T30 eye-AF on my 1 year old niece this weekend and it is a game changer, although not perfect. Without it you have to point the AF points at the child face and this means changing the composition, with it, you keep the composition and the AF will follow the eye in continuos focus. Now you need to get the X-T30 or X-T3 for this in Fuji, so save a couple more months while you still don't need more than the X100, and get something that will last for longer.

Apart from the eye-AF and the joystick which is also useful for quickly moving the AF point, the AF on the X-T20 or X-E3 is good enough.

So yeah, with a small kid soon to be crawling around, I feel like the X100 is probably not gonna cut it. However, budget is tight and I want to stay under $800.

In two months you might be able to get a used X-T30 for €650 to €750 and by then you might have saved a bit more, so take your time.

Would a used X-T1 or X-T10 with a 35mm f1.4 or newer 1.8 make sense? Would the autofocus be a solid improvement over the X100?

A newer gen X-T20 or a E-X3 is probably over my budget used, but I’ll consider it if AF is a huge leap forward

At least get an X-T20 or X-E3 for the AF, and one of the new f2 lenses.

Of course that depends on lenses though, which is what makes me confused... I know the 35mm f1.4 has a reputation of being something of a bottleneck, so perhaps I don’t need the newest camera? But is a 35mm even the right choice for baby shots?

Thanks a lot for any help and suggestions!

Remember that from now on, when you leave the house you will be carrying at least one bag already, plus the pushchair. So remember that your camera+lens must be small otherwise it will stay at home. The 35mm f2 is an alrounder and small! Smaller, only the 27mm but is 2.8 so not good enough for indoors.

Oh, and skip the flash for at least 6 months, and even then only ocasionally and bounced.

Rmcp20's gear list:Rmcp20's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +2 more
5inn Junior Member • Posts: 43

Recent new dad here. I started with an M43 camera to photograph the labor and birth. Quickly realized it wasn't really up to snuff, but I wasn't heavily invested in the system, and the camera I had (EM10 mki) was relatively old.

I jumped head first into Fuji. I picked up an X-T20 used along with the rather good 18-55 f/2.8-4 for around $750. I then got a 35mm f/1.4 new as well as a FlashPoint (godox 350) fuji flash for $60.

My general advice is just get the camera and a prime lens, and a cheap flash to bounce. Since getting the 35mm, I've barely used the 18-55 for the newborn stuff. The 35mm f/1.4 is not blisteringly fast, but it is fast enough for now when she's not moving much. I eventually plan to upgrade to the X-T30 to add to it's AF speed.

Take a lot of pictures and invest in somewhere that you can upload them all.

5inn's gear list:5inn's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
Emile15 Contributing Member • Posts: 891

The XT1 is a wonderful camera. I just sold mine for 300 Euros and almost immediately regretted it. Its IQ is impressive and the handling is great. It should make an awesome camera with the 35 f/2.

Emile15's gear list:Emile15's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
jjz2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,209

XE 2 with 35mm 1.4 is my suggestion... can pick it up for 600 bucks.

I find F2 still can be too slow in low light situations.

AF isn't that necessary, it's good enough. You aren't photographing a running dog, but a crawling or not moving much baby... and you likely won't want to use a flash on them... or they might be in a dark area of a room not near a window in their crib...

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 7artisans 35mm F1.2 Fujifilm 15-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS PZ
Carl JF New Member • Posts: 14

CatholicBlock wrote:

Here’s the two problems with the camera I’ve used and loved for several years (and yes, it’s the very first X100!):

1) the 23mm fixed lens is probably not the best for portraits of my newborn, and

2) the camera is sloooow. It’s been okay for vacation shots when traveling with my wife, but only barely. AF is especially awful in low light.

So yeah, with a small kid soon to be crawling around, I feel like the X100 is probably not gonna cut it. However, budget is tight and I want to stay under $800.

Would a used X-T1 or X-T10 with a 35mm f1.4 or newer 1.8 make sense? Would the autofocus be a solid improvement over the X100?

A newer gen X-T20 or a E-X3 is probably over my budget used, but I’ll consider it if AF is a huge leap forward

Of course that depends on lenses though, which is what makes me confused... I know the 35mm f1.4 has a reputation of being something of a bottleneck, so perhaps I don’t need the newest camera? But is a 35mm even the right choice for baby shots?

Thanks a lot for any help and suggestions!

First off, congratulations !

Second I think your X100 is good enough for the time being until your little one is starting to walk, once that happens you'll probably need a faster AF camera or lens or both.

With that said I have an X-T1 with a 23mmf2. I tried out the 35f2  and found out that sometimes I need more space to work with the 35f2, so I returned it and got the 23mmf2. It's worked great so far, and it's a joy to use.

Another reason I went with the wilder fov (23mmf2) is because my kids are going to be doing things, like going on swings, little cars, dinosaur rides, going down slides etc. Sometimes I don't have my wife with me, so I need to be a little closer to my kids in case they run off on me.

Carl JF's gear list:Carl JF's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,443
when it comes to CHILD photo, don't settle for SLOW camear

CatholicBlock wrote:

Dude I hear you.  You don't get a 2nd chance for 1st impression, nor do you get 2nd chance for shooting your 1st born.  AF speed is worth its premium in GOLD in child photography.  Don't settle for SLOW camera, just because it is romantic to do so.  You should be willing to pay a premium for Fastest AF camera you can buy.

I would choose $899 XT-30 > better egronimc XT-2 because AF acquistion speed is faster with less hesistaiton.  Likewise, I would also choose it over the expensive X-H1 because XT-30 with its quad-core cpu just focus faster.

No, X100 won't cut it, and Fuji XT-30 is just $799

EricWN Senior Member • Posts: 2,327
Re: when it comes to CHILD photo, don't settle for SLOW camear

007peter wrote:

CatholicBlock wrote:

Dude I hear you. You don't get a 2nd chance for 1st impression, nor do you get 2nd chance for shooting your 1st born. AF speed is worth its premium in GOLD in child photography. Don't settle for SLOW camera, just because it is romantic to do so. You should be willing to pay a premium for Fastest AF camera you can buy.

I would choose $899 XT-30 > better egronimc XT-2 because AF acquistion speed is faster with less hesistaiton. Likewise, I would also choose it over the expensive X-H1 because XT-30 with its quad-core cpu just focus faster.

No, X100 won't cut it, and Fuji XT-30 is just $799

Newborns however are not known for their blistering speeds. It will be a while before they start crawling and then walking.

EricWN wrote:

007peter wrote:

CatholicBlock wrote:

Dude I hear you. You don't get a 2nd chance for 1st impression, nor do you get 2nd chance for shooting your 1st born. AF speed is worth its premium in GOLD in child photography. Don't settle for SLOW camera, just because it is romantic to do so. You should be willing to pay a premium for Fastest AF camera you can buy.

I would choose $899 XT-30 > better egronimc XT-2 because AF acquistion speed is faster with less hesistaiton. Likewise, I would also choose it over the expensive X-H1 because XT-30 with its quad-core cpu just focus faster.

Newborns however are not known for their blistering speeds. It will be a while before they start crawling and then walking.

I was wondering that also... as long as I set my shutter speed high I can photograph my cats pretty easy, which are faster than kids.

I'm not doubting that the x100 wouldn't cut it... but the 2nd gen cams should be mostly fine.

Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 7artisans 35mm F1.2 Fujifilm 15-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS PZ
EricWN Senior Member • Posts: 2,327

jjz2 wrote:

EricWN wrote:

007peter wrote:

CatholicBlock wrote:

I was wondering that also... as long as I set my shutter speed high I can photograph my cats pretty easy, which are faster than kids.

I'm not doubting that the x100 wouldn't cut it... but the 2nd gen cams should be mostly fine.

Even the first gen x100 will get the majority of shots if it’s not moving around action that you’re capturing. It’s also not like that you’ll be hoping to shoot everything at F2 anyway. Later on in the infant’s/toddler’s life camera speed will become an issue for sure.

dudewithcamera
dudewithcamera Regular Member • Posts: 420

Fujicron (your choice of focal 23/35/50) + flash ... Godox tt350 or v860ii.

With the flash you don't need more than f2. With the smaller glass and updated focus motors, you get faster focus. Plus WR for when your child is outside in the rain/snow/sprinkler/beach/pool.

Pair with at least a T2/Pro2 or (ideally) T3 for appropriate focus speed and inclusion of focus selector joystick to more quickly establish framing.

dudewithcamera's gear list:dudewithcamera's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T2

EricWN wrote:

jjz2 wrote:

EricWN wrote:

007peter wrote:

CatholicBlock wrote:

Even the first gen x100 will get the majority of shots if it’s not moving around action that you’re capturing. It’s also not like that you’ll be hoping to shoot everything at F2 anyway. Later on in the infant’s/toddler’s life camera speed will become an issue for sure.

Yeah I just assumed that is down the road and by then the op could have more budget, more bodies out etc. I’d still go with a used body and a fast prime on his budget to start.

Twombly Forum Member • Posts: 93

Size really matters!

My experience with my two years old son: When the two of us are outside, on playgrounds or whatever, I usually have to take care of the stroller, his massive bag with diapers, food and all the stuff, his small bike, his helmet, his toys etc. Very often an additional camera bag is not an option.

Carrying the camera around my neck was also not a good idea, because I'll have to run after him if he climbs somewhere or falls off the bike.

So my solution was a Sony RX100V. Fits in my pocket, and most importantly, is ready when the action happens.

I've learned that image quality is not what I'm used to from my X-E3 - but more important: I'll get the shot.

Twombly's gear list:Twombly's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon Z6
theEntreriCode Regular Member • Posts: 135

Twombly wrote:

Size really matters!

My experience with my two years old son: When the two of us are outside, on playgrounds or whatever, I usually have to take care of the stroller, his massive bag with diapers, food and all the stuff, his small bike, his helmet, his toys etc. Very often an additional camera bag is not an option.

Carrying the camera around my neck was also not a good idea, because I'll have to run after him if he climbs somewhere or falls off the bike.

So my solution was a Sony RX100V. Fits in my pocket, and most importantly, is ready when the action happens.

I've learned that image quality is not what I'm used to from my X-E3 - but more important: I'll get the shot.

I'm not quite there with my kid yet, she's only about 10 months old, but, I can completely see where you're coming from. I shoot full frame and am probably going to buy an XT30 for portability sometime this year.

miroshi Contributing Member • Posts: 521

I have two small kids, in a moment I understand I need to upgrade my Pentax K-X. It is just not for this type of photography.

After few months with heavy D7200 I got X-T3 and 23mm f2 for indoor photos. I have no regrets.

My be X-T2 would do same job, but the time when I bough X-T3, the price of both cameras was same. So I got the newer.

The only thing that tortures me is the opinion X-T3 has cooler colors (I just edit my WB) and has more noise (not much more).

So, almost six months later I almost do not have missed photo inside on speed usually 1/125.

-- hide signature --

"It isn’t the camera that makes the pictures great, it’s you." - Dan Bailey
phototravels-bg.com

miroshi's gear list:miroshi's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more
Carl JF New Member • Posts: 14

Twombly wrote:

Size really matters!

I find carrying the camera around your neck or having it slung by your waste exposes it to either smacking your kid with the camera, the camera smacking another kid or another kid in to the camera, ha.

Carl JF's gear list:Carl JF's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads