Canon RP Timelapse USB-C charging

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Jx9 Forum Member • Posts: 90
Canon RP Timelapse USB-C charging

Has anyone tried using the timelapse function with USB-C charging allowing it to run for hours and hours? I know it can't work on the R, but I haven't been able to verify if it works on the RP.

Jx9's gear list:Jx9's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Sony a7 III Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II +15 more
Steven Blackwood Senior Member • Posts: 1,915
Re: Canon RP Timelapse USB-C charging

It will not work. The USB-c only works with the camera off.

-- hide signature --

Steve
stevenblackwood1950@gmail.com
Milwaukee WI

Steven Blackwood's gear list:Steven Blackwood's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Canon EF 70-200 F4 II Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +2 more
OP Jx9 Forum Member • Posts: 90

https://www.matjoez.com/2019/02/14/the-canon-eos-rp-review

"... allows you to charge the camera while shooting."

Is he mistaken then?

Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Sony a7 III Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II +15 more

Yes, I believe he is mistaken. The directions for the use of the USB charging cable is to switch the camera OFF.

-- hide signature --

Steve
Milwaukee WI

Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Canon EF 70-200 F4 II Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +2 more
WSteveP
WSteveP Senior Member • Posts: 1,253

Steven Blackwood wrote:

I haven’t tried this yet but I think you can use the USB connection to power the camera during timelapse it just won’t charge the battery while you’re doing it.  To charge the battery the camera must be turned off.

-- hide signature --

"A camera is a tool for learning to see without a camera."
(Dorothea Lange)
http://www.pbase.com/steve_p/galleries

WSteveP's gear list:WSteveP's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Tamron 18-400mm F3.5-6.3 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Noogy
Noogy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,089

WSteveP wrote:

Steven Blackwood wrote:

I haven’t tried this yet but I think you can use the USB connection to power the camera during timelapse it just won’t charge the battery while you’re doing it. To charge the battery the camera must be turned off.

You mean the camera will draw power while doing time lapse from the USB power source? I tried doing that on both the R and the RP. Doesn't work.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 28mm F3.5 Macro IS STM +10 more
Phylloxera Forum Member • Posts: 89

Noogy wrote:

WSteveP wrote:

Steven Blackwood wrote:

I haven’t tried this yet but I think you can use the USB connection to power the camera during timelapse it just won’t charge the battery while you’re doing it. To charge the battery the camera must be turned off.

You mean the camera will draw power while doing time lapse from the USB power source? I tried doing that on both the R and the RP. Doesn't work.

Yes! It's a pity but you have to use the battery dummy.

Noogy

Phylloxera wrote:

Noogy wrote:

WSteveP wrote:

Steven Blackwood wrote:

Yes! It's a pity but you have to use the battery dummy.

That works though it's a bit of a cumbersome set up.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 28mm F3.5 Macro IS STM +10 more
KWEnz Regular Member • Posts: 406

I wonder if one of these would work:

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Adapter-Coupler-Canon-Ack-e6/dp/B00BLZVXNG

-- hide signature --

Ken

KWEnz's gear list:KWEnz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +5 more
Phylloxera Forum Member • Posts: 89

No problem with the dummy.

The 2 A of this  power supply seems too week though - I once had problems even with my EOS D5MkII. The original supply has 3 A.

I have an official Canon on and it works fine. When I had an M50, I had a third party one which also worked.

-- hide signature --

Steve
Milwaukee WI

mermaidkiller Contributing Member • Posts: 918

Typically a case of poor design.
A timelapse function should be able to run for hours and longer, so it should be possible to power the camera by an external power supply while in use.

With the 6D I have a dummy LP-E6 battery which works perfectly with time lapse.

One would say: buy a dummy battery (LP-E6 for the R or LP-E17 for the RP) these are available on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=canon+LP-E17+dummy+battery&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_PrefLoc=2&_osacat=0&_odkw=canon+LP-17N+dummy+battery&LH_BIN=1&LH_TitleDesc=0

But I have heard (no own experence) that the R and RP cannot be charged with a standard 5V power supply but only by a proprietary Canon charger.

This all makes the timelapse / intervalometer function USELESS unless used for a short time (< 1 hour).

Ugh :-((

Correct me if I am wrong.

-- hide signature --

Ricoh KR-5 ... Pentax ME Super ... Canon T90 ... ... ... 40d ... 7d ... 6d

mermaidkiller's gear list:mermaidkiller's gear list
Canon G7 X II Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 6D GoPro Hero5 Black Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro +4 more
WSteveP
WSteveP Senior Member • Posts: 1,253

Noogy wrote:

WSteveP wrote:

Steven Blackwood wrote:

Just got home and saw your reply.

Thanks for answering, obviously I no longer need to try that.

-- hide signature --

"A camera is a tool for learning to see without a camera."
(Dorothea Lange)
http://www.pbase.com/steve_p/galleries

WSteveP's gear list:WSteveP's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Tamron 18-400mm F3.5-6.3 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
gameguru1360
gameguru1360 Regular Member • Posts: 432

if you get the dummy battery/DC coupler system from tether tools, you can do the time lapse....it allows you to hook everything up to a powerbank so it's like having 20 batteries all at a time.  I have this system for my olympus em5 mk2 and em10 mk2 because those batteries are just way too small and don't have enough juice especially if you spend time in the menus adjusting settings.  I also have one for my canon 80d

-- hide signature --

"The best way to teach your kids about taxes is by eating 30 percent of their ice cream!"
Bill Murray

gameguru1360's gear list:gameguru1360's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 80D Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 II
OP Jx9 Forum Member • Posts: 90

Got a link to that setup? I'm clueless on what to buy. Thank you.

koenkooi Regular Member • Posts: 197

mermaidkiller wrote:

[..]

But I have heard (no own experence) that the R and RP cannot be charged with a standard 5V power supply but only by a proprietary Canon charger.

[..]

You can charge the R and RP with any charger that supports USB-PD, like macbook or chromebook chargers. I use an €30 Choetech charger, it charges my RP from the USB-C port and phone + watch from the regular USB ports simultaneously.

I swap out the battery once a month with a spare one because I want the batteries to wear down evenly, but apart from that, the only time the battery door opens is to get the SD card out.

mermaidkiller Contributing Member • Posts: 918

koenkooi wrote:

mermaidkiller wrote:

[..]

[..]

You can charge the R and RP with any charger that supports USB-PD, like macbook or chromebook chargers. I use an €30 Choetech charger, it charges my RP from the USB-C port and phone + watch from the regular USB ports simultaneously.

I swap out the battery once a month with a spare one because I want the batteries to wear down evenly, but apart from that, the only time the battery door opens is to get the SD card out.

And what about powebanks supporting USB-PD ? This allows using an R(P) for time lapse in the field.

-- hide signature --

Ricoh KR-5 ... Pentax ME Super ... Canon T90 ... ... ... 40d ... 7d ... 6d

mermaidkiller's gear list:mermaidkiller's gear list
Canon G7 X II Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 6D GoPro Hero5 Black Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro +4 more
Noogy

mermaidkiller wrote:

koenkooi wrote:

mermaidkiller wrote:

[..]

[..]

And what about powebanks supporting USB-PD ? This allows using an R(P) for time lapse in the field.

Nope, same thing. Won't work. The camera doesn't distinguish between PD power plug and PD power bank.

-- hide signature --

rrc1967 Contributing Member • Posts: 855

mermaidkiller wrote:

This all makes the timelapse / intervalometer function USELESS unless used for a short time (< 1 hour).

Ugh :-((

Correct me if I am wrong.

you're wrong.

You simply get the Canon DC coupler like people have been doing for eons with Digital cameras and timelapse / astrophotography,etc.

you can even get one like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/5V-8-4V-Adapter-Supply-ACK-E18-5V3A-Charger-Battery/dp/B073Z7PMQL/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=LP-E17%2Busb%2Badapter%2Bcoupler&qid=1559615983&s=electronics&sr=1-3&th=1

which is driven from USB so you can use it with a powerbank.

gameguru1360
gameguru1360 Regular Member • Posts: 432

I ordered the dummy lp-e17 battery from tether tools where I've already got the DC coupler so we'll see if it works with the powerbank system that I have.  It works with my canon 80D and olympus em5 mk2 and em10 mk2

-- hide signature --

"The best way to teach your kids about taxes is by eating 30 percent of their ice cream!"
Bill Murray

gameguru1360's gear list:gameguru1360's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 80D Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads