one Lens only sony 55 1.8 or Batis 40mm?

Started May 30, 2019 | Discussions
Chester McCheeserton Regular Member • Posts: 101
one Lens only sony 55 1.8 or Batis 40mm?

Did anyone have the sony and switch to the batis?

or did anyone try it and decide they liked the smaller size of the sony better?

I'm surprised I haven't seen any pixel peaking direct comparisons yet...

I want the 40mm focal length but I don't want the bulk of the Batis with that hood.

woodyggg Contributing Member • Posts: 898
Re: one Lens only sony 55 1.8 or Batis 40mm?

Chester McCheeserton wrote:

I want the 40mm focal length but I don't want the bulk of the Batis with that hood.

I don't follow... the size of the two lenses isn't that different. will you always be using the hood? even if... just not that much different to be fretting over IMO, especially since you know you prefer the 40mm focal length...

woodyggg's gear list:woodyggg's gear list
Sony a7R III Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +5 more
OP Chester McCheeserton Regular Member • Posts: 101

Ahh I thought the Batis looked way bigger than the sony, esp the girth of it.  Am I wrong?

to be clear, I don't own either lens, I use a manual focus 35mm but want an autofocus lens.

Sometimes bulk/weight and not looking super conspicuous or whatever word you want to insert, are a major consideration for me.

Arlene Senior Member • Posts: 1,060

Chester McCheeserton wrote:

Don't know anything about the batis 40 but I do love the Sony 55 1.8

Sony 55mm 1.8

Arlene's gear list:Arlene's gear list
Sony a9
LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 2,520

Yes, when I came to Sony the 55 mm was my first lens that I retuned for the 24-105 mm

Over the months I added a couple more Batis lenses with the 40 mm my last one when I was searching for a 35 mm or 50 mm prime

I used my 24-105 checking EXIF at 35mm, 40 mm and 50 mm and liked what I saw from the 40 mm view plus the close focus ability was worth it to me..

Mike Fouc Regular Member • Posts: 314

There was a forum thread on literally this exact lens comparison like two weeks ago.

Mike Fouc's gear list:Mike Fouc's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +8 more
SeanHew Regular Member • Posts: 197

Yeah, I had the Sony 55 1.8 for quite a while and sold it a couple of months ago when I got the Batis. Really glad I made the change.

The 55 is great for outdoors but is a but too tight for indoors. The 40 is a really nice compromise that works well for both. I also like the closer focusing distance. I felt like I always had to move back when focusing remotely close with the 55.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @sean.hew

SeanHew's gear list:SeanHew's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +2 more
darrellc Regular Member • Posts: 440

I bought the Batis 40 and sold the Fe 55. The FE 55 was a bit narrow as a single or primary lens for me, but great when paired with another wider lens like my 24GM.  On the other hand it was too close to my 85 to carry both so 40 gaps better with my 18, 24 and 85 mm primes.

The Batis 40 is light but big in volume... it is kind of annoying actually.

But 40 is a perfect general purpose single lens focal length for me and gaps well with my prime kit.

frangie2127 Forum Member • Posts: 71

I have both these lenses and I prefer the Batis versatility and focal length. The Batis is  more voluminous but it is very light and well balanced on the A73 and just as easy to carry around as the 55 which has quite a large lens hood and therefore no shorter than the Batis. I will keep both because the 55 fits in the pocket nicely when going on holidays etc.. but is obviously a narrower FL so not always suitable depending on the environment for your photography. I would choose the Batis as you won’t be disappointed especially as it’s your preferred FL.

frangie2127's gear list:frangie2127's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +4 more
mferencz Contributing Member • Posts: 834

One lens.  Considering the focal length only, I'd say the 55.   You get enough telephoto for a nice portrait length, and it's not what you would call a landscape lens by any means, but you can get enough out of it in a pinch.   I like a bit more telephoto, but the 40 is a real nice length too, you can't lose really.   Just my thoughts.

sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,647

Mike Fouc wrote:

There was a forum thread on literally this exact lens comparison like two weeks ago.

Sony is just so good we are running out of things to talk about!!!!!

Yes OP, 40mm is a more useful FL than 55mm.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
Mike Fouc Regular Member • Posts: 314

My take: if close focus distance is a priority then the choice is obvious.

For me, 40 isn’t really a lens where shallow DoF is a priority, especially since F2 isn’t that fast for a wider lens like that as far as blur potential. 55 gives more portrait options for people shooting. You can pair it with the ultra light and tiny Samyang 35/2.8 for less weight than the Batis alone. Both lenses are also far smaller than the Batis and cost about the same as the Batis combined. Those two are easy to throw in a bag as go anywhere lenses. If you need just one lens, then it’s aboht your preferred focal length more than anything.

Mike Fouc's gear list:Mike Fouc's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +8 more
Sanjeev Das Senior Member • Posts: 1,327

There is a very similar thread at https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62646461

I am copying what I posted there:

===================================================================

For a single lens solution, the Batis 40.

The Batis 40 is just excellent.

For "normal" focal lengths, both the 55/1.8 and the 35/2.8 ate excellent . The 55/1.8 is the lens that first sucked me into the Sony system.

However, I find the 35 to be a wee bit too wide for normal. Yet not wide enough for landscapes. The 55, I find a bit too narrow, but not narrow enough for portraits.

The 40mm sits right in between and replaces my 35 and 55. It provides enough space for context, yet is narrow enough for some isolation. For a FOV comparison check out this page: https://30daysofbatis.com/blog?offset=1541085715208&reversePaginate=true

For any system, the normal is considered to be the size of the diagonal of the sensor. For FF 36 x 24mm, the diagonal is 43mm. So 40 is just right (reminds me of the Pentax FA 43).

In terms of images quality, the Batis 40 is just excellent. Great rendering and tack sharp wide open.

It also makes for a nice 2 or 3 lens combo. For Travel etc Batis 25/40 will make a nice combo. I have the Loxia 21, Batis 25/40/85/135 and Zony 35/55.

Sanjeev Das's gear list:Sanjeev Das's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Sony a7R Sony a7R II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +12 more

Thanks Yes I should have seen that.

Thanks everyone.  I really appreciate the input....

Macadesigner Junior Member • Posts: 33

I have both lens. To me the B40 have more in common to the 35mm than 50/55mm. So to me they are not in direct comparison.

Anyway.

The 55ZA is good for portrait or in places where you have room to play. The further MFD make it not as versatile than the Batis, but will give you a better isolation from the background. The bokeh is not perfect, but will give you some swirling effect.

B40 is a premium lens sit in-between of everything. It's a standard wide, sit in between 35 & 50. It can focus super close but not a macro. It's big in size but light in weight. It's not fast but not slow either.

The B40 after the firmware update is very enjoyable to use. Focus is fast and accurate and the close focus stop down is less noticeable. The weather sealing also give you a peace of mind.

If you only keeping one lens. I will take the B40 or even the FE 50/1.8 (with the latest firmware). The 55ZA to me is not a one lens solution like the 35/40mm.

Macadesigner's gear list:Macadesigner's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon 1 AW1 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads