Why does my XT2 default to max ISO when set to auto ISO?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Samuraidog Regular Member • Posts: 105
Why does my XT2 default to max ISO when set to auto ISO?

I like to set ISO to auto, and adjust SS and aperture manually. However, regardless of whether in bright sunlight with lower shutter speed and wide open aperture, the camera wants to take the shot at the maximum ISO setting (6400 in my case).

My auto ISO settings are as follows.

Default sensitivity: 200

MAX sensitivity: 6400

Min shutter speed: 1/60

I prefer the lowest ISO appropriate for the lighting conditions. Should be near 200 when outdoors in a bright environment.

Is there a setting I'm overlooking? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 37,472
Re: Why does my XT2 default to max ISO when set to auto ISO?

Samuraidog wrote:

I like to set ISO to auto, and adjust SS and aperture manually. However, regardless of whether in bright sunlight with lower shutter speed and wide open aperture, the camera wants to take the shot at the maximum ISO setting (6400 in my case).

I prefer the lowest ISO appropriate for the lighting conditions. Should be near 200 when outdoors in a bright environment.

What immediately comes to mind is ISO being able to be set with the front dial. In my current config, anyway, pressing the front dial toggles control between shutter speed and ISO. It's possible to turn through the range of set ISOs as well as the 3 Auto ISO settings - could you possibly have ISO set at 6400 instead of Auto 1, 2, or 3? (The Icon for ISO in the EVF will have a "dome" next to it, when Auto ISO is selected).

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
http://www.bobtullis.com

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X100F +1 more
OP Samuraidog Regular Member • Posts: 105

Bob Tullis wrote:

Samuraidog wrote:

What immediately comes to mind is ISO being able to be set with the front dial. In my current config, anyway, pressing the front dial toggles control between shutter speed and ISO. It's possible to turn through the range of set ISOs as well as the 3 Auto ISO settings - could you possibly have ISO set at 6400 instead of Auto 1, 2, or 3? (The Icon for ISO in the EVF will have a "dome" next to it, when Auto ISO is selected).

On my XT2, the front button adjusts between Auto ISO 1, 2 and 3, but I never use it. Pressing front dial does nothing. And scrolling front dial does nothing.

My ISO auto settings are as follows.

Auto 1:

Base: 200

Limit: 6400

SS: 1/60

Auto 2:

SS: 1/125

Auto 3:

SS: 1/250

No dome in the EVF. It only says "ISO A1" next the ISO.

Greybeard2017
Greybeard2017 Contributing Member • Posts: 592

Samuraidog wrote:

Thanks.

If you shoot jpeg does it look overexposed? Can you post an example straight out of the camera?

Greybeard2017's gear list:Greybeard2017's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30
Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 9,225

have you checked the EXIF of the images?  Usually, the viewfinder/LCD will show the max ISO *UNTIL* you activate metering and tehn it settles to whatever is appropriate.

-- hide signature --

Online civility: Before you press 'Post', ask yourself if you'd say that to someone face to face.

Greybeard2017 wrote:

Samuraidog wrote:

Thanks.

If you shoot jpeg does it look overexposed? Can you post an example straight out of the camera?

Lately I've been setting ISO manually because of the frustration with everything defaulting to 6400. Therefore, I somewhat struggled to find something with an iso of 6400. At the risk of this being a bad example, here you go.

Howard Moftich wrote:

have you checked the EXIF of the images? Usually, the viewfinder/LCD will show the max ISO *UNTIL* you activate metering and tehn it settles to whatever is appropriate.

Yes. I've looked at the exif data of an entire set of photos and, as I recall, all of them were ISO 6400.

Bob Tullis

I'm not sure I'm guiding you right, but. . .

I go to the Button/Dial setting, and set the ISO Dial Setting (A) to Command (screen 2 of Button/Dial menu). With the menu Command Dial Setting (screen 1 of Button/DIal menu) set at SS-front dial and F-stop rear dial, pressing the front button will toggle between SS and ISO control.

With that, you should be able to, with the ISO dial on A, have full control over ISO.

If your EC dial is set to C(ommand) you can also adjust EC with the Front Dial (should you have that set to C, don't be surprised to see a third option when pressing the front dial).

edit:  From your example posted, I'd suggest setting your shutter to 1/60 with the aperture wide open, while testing for Auto ISO (even if on the same sort of subject).

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Doug Pardee
Doug Pardee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,598

The EXIF says that was shot in M mode. You'd specifically select shutter speed 1/1000 and f/7.3. Also that you had selected spot metering, with the spot located over the dark area on the bird's throat.

As a result, the camera tried to adjust the ISO to expose the throat to 18% gray. Which required it to go to ISO 6400.

Slow  your shutter speed, open your lens up, and be more mindful of your metering, and you should be fine.

-- hide signature --

Co-founder of the open-source LightZone Project: http://lightzoneproject.org/

Doug Pardee's gear list:Doug Pardee's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Canon EOS 350D +13 more
Wildabobalore Regular Member • Posts: 276

I've run into this behavior on both the X70 and the X-T20. The only thing that I've been able to discern is that maybe its raising the ISO to compensate if you have any of the DR settings applied?

Either way, I do find it to be a slight annoyance as well as when it breaks minimum SS to "properly" expose a photo. The Auto settings tend to be a mixed bag for me.

Wildabobalore's gear list:Wildabobalore's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm XF10 Canon EOS 450D Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000 +19 more
Xena777
Xena777 Forum Member • Posts: 78

Probably, your lighting conditions required a high ISO.

I also use AUTO1-3 on my X-T30 (1/60s, min ISO 200, max 6400; 1/250s, min ISO 200, max 6400; 1/500s, min 200, max 12800).

I just tried to take a photo in a room with plenty of light and the auto ISO was 200, then moved into a darker room and the camera bumped up the iso to 6400...

And yes, in both cases the EVF and the screen show the Max ISO  until I half press the shutter button

PS What I find annoying is that my AUTO 1,2,3 settings tend to reset randomly (or maybe they go back to factory settings, I don't know)

Howard Moftich wrote:

have you checked the EXIF of the images? Usually, the viewfinder/LCD will show the max ISO *UNTIL* you activate metering and tehn it settles to whatever is appropriate.

I think you might be on to something Howard.

I just ran a quick test. The EVF shows 6400 in real-time for every shot, but if I playback, the ISO has adjusted.

My theory is now as follows.

I'm thinking that I was in a scenario where an entire set of dozens of photos actually required ISO 6400 (exif data showed accordingly). Then, days later (under a bright environment), I noticed the EVF showing 6400 real-time where I thought it should be much lower.  From that point, out of frustration for the ISO being "stuck" at 6400, I was adjusting ISO manually.

From this point on, I should trust that the auto ISO is working properly, even though it says in the EVF that ISO is 6400.

I'm not one to do a lot of "chimping" per se, so I always trusted the WYSIWYG in the EVF.

I should have been able to figure this out on my own. I feel stupid for evening posting it. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Bob Tullis

Samuraidog wrote:

Howard Moftich wrote:

I just ran a quick test. The EVF shows 6400 in real-time for every shot, but if I playback, the ISO has adjusted.

I'm thinking that I was in a scenario where an entire set of dozens of photos actually required ISO 6400 (exif data showed accordingly). Then, days later (under a bright environment), I noticed the EVF showing 6400 real-time where I thought it should be much lower. From that point, out of frustration for the ISO being "stuck" at 6400, I was adjusting ISO manually.

From this point on, I should trust that the auto ISO is working properly, even though it says in the EVF that ISO is 6400.

I'm not one to do a lot of "chimping" per se, so I always trusted the WYSIWYG in the EVF.

I should have been able to figure this out on my own. I feel stupid for evening posting it. Thanks to everyone for your input.

The ISO that AutoISO will use for your exposure should display when you 1/2 press the shutter (activate the metering, as was said up-topic).   You may have overlooked that, what with everything else one assesses in that moment.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Greybeard2017
Greybeard2017 Contributing Member • Posts: 592

Doug Pardee wrote:

The EXIF says that was shot in M mode. You'd specifically select shutter speed 1/1000 and f/7.3. Also that you had selected spot metering, with the spot located over the dark area on the bird's throat.

As a result, the camera tried to adjust the ISO to expose the throat to 18% gray. Which required it to go to ISO 6400.

Slow your shutter speed, open your lens up, and be more mindful of your metering, and you should be fine.

What Doug said - in this example it metered at the yellow cross which would seem reasonable.

Greybeard2017's gear list:Greybeard2017's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30

Bob Tullis wrote:

Samuraidog wrote:

Howard Moftich wrote:

I'm thinking that I was in a scenario where an entire set of dozens of photos actually required ISO 6400 (exif data showed accordingly). Then, days later (under a bright environment), I noticed the EVF showing 6400 real-time where I thought it should be much lower. From that point, out of frustration for the ISO being "stuck" at 6400, I was adjusting ISO manually.

I should have been able to figure this out on my own. I feel stupid for evening posting it. Thanks to everyone for your input.

The ISO that AutoISO will use for your exposure should display when you 1/2 press the shutter (activate the metering, as was said up-topic). You may have overlooked that, what with everything else one assesses in that moment.

Just to clarify, at half press, I only get "6400" in the EVF (for every photo).

In my EVF, it continuously shows "ISOA1 6400", regardless of my action (shutter button press), and seemingly regardless of the brightness of the environment.

Thus, the reason I was likely so confused for so long.

If I press the playback button after the shot, it shows the lower ISO number for that particular photo.

Other values (SS, aperture) change real-time (with half shutter button press) in the EVF, but not ISO.

Ugh. I still feel like something is not set correctly.

Christof21 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,028
ISO is not part of exposure

Doug Pardee wrote:

As a result, the camera tried to adjust the ISO to expose the throat to 18% gray.

This is not exposure... this is lightness. Adjusting ISO does not change exposure which is fixed in this case

The same people who critic the misuse of the term exposure do the same errors themselves ! Where is the logic ??

Time to extend the meaning of this term.

Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 3,943

Samuraidog wrote:

Howard Moftich wrote:

Please, do not feel that way. Many photographers have the same or similar experiences. I've had similar experiences.

This is how we learn.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more

Bill Ferris wrote:

Please, do not feel that way. Many photographers have the same or similar experiences. I've had similar experiences.

This is how we learn.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Still a bit frustrated with why the ISO doesn't show the corrected value in the live view at half press, even though SS and aperture do. I checked my XE2S and ISO does reflect the correct ISO in the live view at half press, so it is definitely one of the settings in my XT2, but I can't figure it out.

Xena777
Xena777 Forum Member • Posts: 78

There have been previous posts about the same issue in other Fuji cameras.. one of the explanations is below

Same issue with the XT2 when you have AE-L disconnected from the shutter. I.e. if it's on, it shows the exposure but it's locked from when you pushed down the shutter and doesn't continue to compensate if you are following something from dark to light. If you switch it off, it continues to exposure but it doesn't show you the value.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4172909

Xena777 wrote:

There have been previous posts about the same issue in other Fuji cameras.. one of the explanations is below

Same issue with the XT2 when you have AE-L disconnected from the shutter. I.e. if it's on, it shows the exposure but it's locked from when you pushed down the shutter and doesn't continue to compensate if you are following something from dark to light. If you switch it off, it continues to exposure but it doesn't show you the value.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4172909

Yes. Looking at the link you provided, this is exactly the issue I'm experiencing, even though I didn't state it so eloquently.

I checked the firmware version on my XT2, and it is 4.30, which is apparently the latest version.

So, this is a known bug and there is nothing I can do to get the live view to show the proper ISO at half press?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads