Panasonic 12-35 2.8 vs Ricoh GRii/iii sharpness

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
vallhall Senior Member • Posts: 1,025
Panasonic 12-35 2.8 vs Ricoh GRii/iii sharpness

Hi

Is the Richo GRii/iii sharper than the Panasonic 12-35?

Thanks in advance

Some poster at the Ricoh forums, said the 12-35 isnt sharp

vallhall's gear list:vallhall's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Samsung NX500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
tomhongkong Veteran Member • Posts: 3,752
Re: Panasonic 12-35 2.8 vs Ricoh GRii/iii sharpness

vallhall wrote:

Hi

Thanks in advance

Why don't you post what he said with link.  Anyone can make a statement like yours without backup

tom

Lichtspiel
Lichtspiel Senior Member • Posts: 1,554

I don't have the Ricoh, but I would expect that a fixed focal lens carefully designed permanently attached to a camera with a 24MP sensor will probably beat some random zoom lens.

That said, the 12-35 is about as sharp as the "other" Pro zoom in that range, the 12-40, and both a very sharp.

I am sure there are resolution charts you could look up, put perhaps it's not something to spend your time worrying about. Neither about some random dude saying that it's not sharp to begin with.

Lichtspiel's gear list:Lichtspiel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +4 more
G1Houston Senior Member • Posts: 2,804
12-35 is weak at the corners wide open

vallhall wrote:

Hi

Thanks in advance

... But it is still a f2.8 zoom and not too heavy/big.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Nikon D7100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +6 more
pattymeboy Regular Member • Posts: 363
Re: 12-35 is weak at the corners wide open

The Ricoh GR is an excellent little camera and the lens is super sharp. But my GX8 with the PL 15 is even sharper stepped down, in my opinion. As I said though the GR is an excellent small APS-c camera. I have owned it for 4 years and managed to keep the dust off the sensor by using a camera holster in lieu of trying to make it a pocket camera.

pattymeboy's gear list:pattymeboy's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Ricoh GR Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +8 more
johnpatrickbishop Regular Member • Posts: 201

I own a Ricoh GRII and LOVE it. And I've rented the Panasonic 12-35 2.8. I mean... they're fairly comparable, though the Ricoh is pretty darn sharp. It's really an amazing little camera. That being said... Ricoh autofocus really struggles in lighting conditions that I would not consider low light--like indoors at four in the afternoon.  And the manual focus is meh. And no, snap focus isn't the solution for everything. So even if the Ricoh is sharper, you may not be able to get all the shots you want compared to your M4/3 camera.

Don't misunderstand. Love the Ricoh GR. Just saying not everything is about sharpness. There are many other reasons to have a Ricoh or a Panasonic for that matter.

johnpatrickbishop's gear list:johnpatrickbishop's gear list
Nikon D750 Panasonic G85
absquatulate Forum Pro • Posts: 10,205

vallhall wrote:

Hi

Thanks in advance

I would expect it to be, but you haven't seen sharp until you've used a Sigma DP2M.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads