AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E ED box size

Started 2 months ago | Questions
ChipTz
ChipTz Forum Member • Posts: 61
AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E ED box size

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the outer size of the packaging box that the lens AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E ED is shipped with (if possible in metric system, other should also work)?

Just to know if it can fit in my hand luggage (at least in the space I have left).

Thanks,

Nuno

-- hide signature --

Have no fear, Chip is here!

ChipTz's gear list:ChipTz's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
ANSWER:
timtintin Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E ED box size

From BH photo website: 9.9 x 6.6 x 5.5 (Inches).

timtintin's gear list:timtintin's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D800 Canon EOS M +2 more
ormdig
ormdig Senior Member • Posts: 2,382

timtintin wrote:

Correct. That is what my box measures,

-- hide signature --

Pete

ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +7 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
threw the lens
threw the lens Contributing Member • Posts: 799

I'd never take my gear abroad in product boxes. It could encourage nuisance from customs when I come back, depending on where I've been.

Companies make lovely things called pouches and bags for photography equipment nowadays, some of them are great.

briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 3,946

threw the lens wrote:

I'd never take my gear abroad in product boxes. It could encourage nuisance from customs when I come back, depending on where I've been.

Perhaps Nuno is considering buying the lens abroad, then taking it home...?

Companies make lovely things called pouches and bags for photography equipment nowadays, some of them are great.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +21 more
KBINNJ Regular Member • Posts: 254

He may be taking it home, but nothing says "hit me with import duty" to a Customs Officer than a lens in a nice, new box.

Of course, the OP may also be taking it home to resell it at a profit.

KBINNJ's gear list:KBINNJ's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon D90 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +4 more
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 3,946

KBINNJ wrote:

He may be taking it home, but nothing says "hit me with import duty" to a Customs Officer than a lens in a nice, new box.

Of course, the OP may also be taking it home to resell it at a profit.

Or, he may be quite willing to pay any duty.

Why all the negative comments?  It was a simple question, and none of us knows the background to it.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +21 more
KBINNJ Regular Member • Posts: 254

I don’t see that any of these comments were negative.

Certainly mine were not meant to be.

Exactly what here do you infer to be negative?

KBINNJ's gear list:KBINNJ's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon D90 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +4 more
threw the lens
threw the lens Contributing Member • Posts: 799

I've heard of people who want the box, folding it up and posting it home to try to avoid customs. After all, the box is worthless and is a large letter size.

ChipTz
OP ChipTz Forum Member • Posts: 61

Thanks for the feedback!

briantilley wrote:

threw the lens wrote:

Perhaps Nuno is considering buying the lens abroad, then taking it home...?

That is the case, considering buying abroad and bringing it back home. I never travel with boxes

if I end up doing it I’ll let you know then how did it go with customs

-- hide signature --

Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
ChipTz

timtintin wrote:

Interesting, searched in a lot of places and not even in Nikon website I managed to find it, but didn’t thought of BH. Tks

-- hide signature --

timtintin Forum Member • Posts: 82

You're welcome. I had noticed before, when ordering other things, that they often listed the size of the box. The 105 1.4 is my favorite lens that I don't have, so I was interested in the question.

Good luck with your plans.

Tim

timtintin's gear list:timtintin's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D800 Canon EOS M +2 more
ChipTz

threw the lens wrote:

Here I live (Portugal) it doesn't really matter for customs if it comes with or without a box if you leave the country you should fill out a paper with the item you take with you so that you do not have issues when coming back. One time fill for each SN and you can use it every time you travel. Don't know how it works in other countries/customs.

-- hide signature --

shuncheung Contributing Member • Posts: 569

In any case, you don’t have to hand carry the lens inside the box. Can always flatten the box and keep other packaging materials separately, even in your checked luggage. Only the lens itself with caps should be in your carry on.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads