Sony Wishlist - 1" sensor fixed lens camera

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
D Lynch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,128
Re: Sony Wishlist - 1" sensor fixed lens camera
1

I understand.

However, my needs are met with my Sony RX100-2 with the electronic view finder mounted. Others will choose a later version of this camera. There's such great convenience using a camera with a good zoom lens.

The gentleman that sold me the used evf had a fixed lens Sony digital camera. Until I met him, I could never understand why someone would pay so much for that camera. then I saw his photos. Spectacular.  He was a priest and took work-photos within churches with a completely different perspective than any photos I had seen.

My favourite camera of all time was my Leica M3 that I bought used.  When I win the lottery I shall buy another.

-- hide signature --

DaveL
Toronto

 D Lynch's gear list:D Lynch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 II Nikon D300S Sony a6000
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 42,852
Re: Sony Wishlist - 1" sensor fixed lens camera
1

John Gellings wrote:

tbcass wrote:

I assume you mean prime when you say "fixed lens". Why? What advantage would it have over the RX100Va with a 24-70 f1.8-2.8 lens.

Higher quality lens in a slimmer package.

The zoom lenses on Sony RX cameras already meet or exceed the capability of the 1" sensor so a prime probably wouldn't be better. The camera would be slimmer when in use but when not in use, when small size means more, the cameras are already slim enough for most people. Maybe a prime on a 1" sensor could be f1.4 which is the only real advantage I can see.

And prime simply mean one focal length. Fixed means one focal length that can’t be taken off the camera.

No the accepted term for a fixed lens is one that cannot be removed.

Some of us prefer primes to zooms.

I use primes on my ICL cameras for better IQ and faster aperture. IQ is important for getting the most out of my 42mp A99ii. Not so much 1" sensors. Other than that I prefer zooms.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
noisebeam Senior Member • Posts: 2,682
Re: Sony Wishlist - 1" sensor fixed lens camera

John Gellings wrote:

tbcass wrote:

I assume you mean prime when you say "fixed lens". Why? What advantage would it have over the RX100Va with a 24-70 f1.8-2.8 lens.

Higher quality lens in a slimmer package. And prime simply mean one focal length. Fixed means one focal length that can’t be taken off the camera. Some of us prefer primes to zooms.

Do you find the IQ resulting from the current zoom lens at 24 wide open at 1.8 to be lacking?

 noisebeam's gear list:noisebeam's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +8 more
John Gellings Veteran Member • Posts: 5,197
Re: Sony Wishlist - 1" sensor fixed lens camera

tbcass wrote:

John Gellings wrote:

tbcass wrote:

I assume you mean prime when you say "fixed lens". Why? What advantage would it have over the RX100Va with a 24-70 f1.8-2.8 lens.

Higher quality lens in a slimmer package.

The zoom lenses on Sony RX cameras already meet or exceed the capability of the 1" sensor so a prime probably wouldn't be better. The camera would be slimmer when in use but when not in use, when small size means more, the cameras are already slim enough for most people. Maybe a prime on a 1" sensor could be f1.4 which is the only real advantage I can see.

And prime simply mean one focal length. Fixed means one focal length that can’t be taken off the camera.

No the accepted term for a fixed lens is one that cannot be removed.

uhm, ok... 🤔

Some of us prefer primes to zooms.

I use primes on my ICL cameras for better IQ and faster aperture. IQ is important for getting the most out of my 42mp A99ii. Not so much 1" sensors. Other than that I prefer zooms.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Ok buddy, you win.

 John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,696
Re: Sony Wishlist - 1" sensor fixed lens camera

Tom Ames wrote:

Andreasfe wrote:

RX0 II? 🙂

That should fit the bill. 1" sensor, 24mm equivalent and very small.

RX0 is f4.0, to have decent focus depth. These are used in unique situations, especially where larger cameras do no fit. f4.0 is very limiting for general use.

OP is talking more like RX1r but he wants 24mm, bright lens, smaller 1" sensor, smaller body than rx100, like you suggest, like the size of RX0.

Actually, after using my RX1r 35mm, the 28mm FF fixed lens cameras (rather than 35mm) make a bit of sense when you realize how much you can crop a FF sensor image with so many pixels.

24mm RX1rII, FF f2.0, 42mp

and it's little brother using 1" sensor, sounds like a winner.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

 elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
John Gellings Veteran Member • Posts: 5,197
Re: Sony Wishlist - 1" sensor fixed lens camera

I > noisebeam wrote:

John Gellings wrote:

tbcass wrote:

I assume you mean prime when you say "fixed lens". Why? What advantage would it have over the RX100Va with a 24-70 f1.8-2.8 lens.

Higher quality lens in a slimmer package. And prime simply mean one focal length. Fixed means one focal length that can’t be taken off the camera. Some of us prefer primes to zooms.

Do you find the IQ resulting from the current zoom lens at 24 wide open at 1.8 to be lacking?

No, but I did at 40-70mm. Like I said, I want a 40-50mm prime model. I also prefer it to be APSC. Like a RX1R but with a 40mm and smaller.

 John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
OP yusufmotiwala Regular Member • Posts: 293
Re: Sony Wishlist - 1" sensor fixed lens camera

noisebeam wrote:

John Gellings wrote:

tbcass wrote:

I assume you mean prime when you say "fixed lens". Why? What advantage would it have over the RX100Va with a 24-70 f1.8-2.8 lens.

Higher quality lens in a slimmer package. And prime simply mean one focal length. Fixed means one focal length that can’t be taken off the camera. Some of us prefer primes to zooms.

Do you find the IQ resulting from the current zoom lens at 24 wide open at 1.8 to be lacking?

No doubt, 24mm in RX100m3 is good and one may find "nothing lacking" if that's the only camera you have used. However, I definitely see that it is not as good as some of the fixed lens camera of similar size - Coolpix A is an example.

I own A7R2, RX1R, dp1m, Coolpix A. I recently purchased RX100m3 and pleasantly surprised by how amazing raw files it produces, suitable even for professional use (don't even compare to phones as someone did above). However, it can definitely benefit from a better fixed lens, both in contrast and sharpness at the wider side and that may possibly reduce the size even more.

1" 24mm f1.8 or f2 in smaller than RX100 body will be winner, will be definitely my travel camera for long rides.

-- hide signature --
 yusufmotiwala's gear list:yusufmotiwala's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony RX1R Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +7 more
Fazal Majid
Fazal Majid Senior Member • Posts: 1,756
Re: Sony Wishlist - 1" sensor fixed lens camera
1

You have a Coolpix A, no 1” sensor camera is going to come close to that or a Ricoh GRIII. I have the RX100 my I and IV and hardly ever use them because the IQ is so sub-par compared to the GRIII or RX1/RX1RII.

-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (www.majid.info)

 Fazal Majid's gear list:Fazal Majid's gear list
Sony RX1R II Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-T2 Leica M10 Nikon Z7 +28 more
OP yusufmotiwala Regular Member • Posts: 293
Re: Sony Wishlist - 1" sensor fixed lens camera
1

Fazal Majid wrote:

You have a Coolpix A, no 1” sensor camera is going to come close to that or a Ricoh GRIII. I have the RX100 my I and IV and hardly ever use them because the IQ is so sub-par compared to the GRIII or RX1/RX1RII.

agree, though I still won't mind a camera that sits in between and more pocketable. I am sure many would like that. I'd have grabbed RX0 if the lens was better.

-- hide signature --
 yusufmotiwala's gear list:yusufmotiwala's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony RX1R Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +7 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 42,852
Re: Sony Wishlist - 1" sensor fixed lens camera

RX1R is full frame.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
John Gellings Veteran Member • Posts: 5,197
Re: Sony Wishlist - 1" sensor fixed lens camera

tbcass wrote:

RX1R is full frame.

And?

 John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 42,852
My Mistake
1

John Gellings wrote:

tbcass wrote:

RX1R is full frame.

And?

I think I misread your post when you said;

"No, but I did at 40-70mm. Like I said, I want a 40-50mm prime model. I also prefer it to be APSC. Like a RX1R but with a 40mm and smaller."

I ignored the period and read it as "I also prefer it to be APSC like an RX1R"

-- hide signature --

Tom

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads