Sony Wishlist - 1" sensor fixed lens camera

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
yusufmotiwala Regular Member • Posts: 292
Sony Wishlist - 1" sensor fixed lens camera

I hope Sony is watching this forum.

My most photos with RX100 are on the wider side. I wish if Sony can come up with a 1" sensor fixed lens camera with 24mm or 28mm equivalent lens, that'd be a killer. And if it is more pocketable (possibly it will be) than RX100, would be awesome.

Sorry if this was discussed before.

-- hide signature --
 yusufmotiwala's gear list:yusufmotiwala's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony RX1R Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +7 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Andreasfe Regular Member • Posts: 135
Re: Sony Wishlist - 1" sensor fixed lens camera

RX0 II? šŸ™‚

Andreasfe's gear list:Andreasfe's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR
OP yusufmotiwala Regular Member • Posts: 292

Andreasfe wrote:

RX0 II? šŸ™‚

Not really. RX0 is not pocketable, addressing completely different segment

-- hide signature --
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony RX1R Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +7 more
Tom Ames Senior Member • Posts: 1,362

Andreasfe wrote:

RX0 II? šŸ™‚

That should fit the bill. 1" sensor, 24mm equivalent  and very small.

Tom Ames's gear list:Tom Ames's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GF 45mm F2.8 Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 +9 more
noisebeam Senior Member • Posts: 2,659

I'd prefer an 16 to 30mm lens.

Then again one can stitch 24mm images if wider is desired.

noisebeam's gear list:noisebeam's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +8 more
Andreasfe Regular Member • Posts: 135

yusufmotiwala wrote:

Andreasfe wrote:

RX0 II? šŸ™‚

It's way more pocketable and have an 1" sensor and 24mm equivalent focal length.

https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/sony-rx0-ii-vs-sony-rx100-vi

Addressing a different segment? Maybe, but it has what you initially asked for. What make this a bad solution, if what you want is something smaller than an RX100 with a fixed 24 or 28mm equivalent lens?

To me this seems like an extremely great inconspicuous camera.

I might read between the lines that what you really want is a much slimmer camera than an RX100, equipped with a 1" sensor and a fixed focal length wide angle lens?

Andreasfe's gear list:Andreasfe's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR
66GTO Veteran Member • Posts: 3,234

Not on my wish list. Why limit yourself to a single focal length?

-- hide signature --

Crazy old man! Slow down. You are way too old to be
hunting hemi's in that 66GTO.

66GTO's gear list:66GTO's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 +1 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 32,003
No way

Sorry, 'phones have killed that market, and even the lesser zoom range cameras are at serious danger from the 'phones.

I can see only the 1" sensored big zoom cameras going forward, the RX100 M6 and updates with similar zoom will survive, (and the RX10 IV etc) the rest will not.

The APS-C and FF sensored chunky fixed lens cameras will possibly survive and be very expensive to extract those dollars from the very few fixed lens enthusiasts, though I do usually call them fixed lens snobs.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL1 +4 more
valsan Contributing Member • Posts: 610

Tom Ames wrote:

Andreasfe wrote:

RX0 II? šŸ™‚

That should fit the bill. 1" sensor, 24mm equivalent and very small.

That’s the one

valsan Contributing Member • Posts: 610
Re: No way

Guy Parsons wrote:

Sorry, 'phones have killed that market, and even the lesser zoom range cameras are at serious danger from the 'phones.

I can see only the 1" sensored big zoom cameras going forward, the RX100 M6 and updates with similar zoom will survive, (and the RX10 IV etc) the rest will not.

The APS-C and FF sensored chunky fixed lens cameras will possibly survive and be very expensive to extract those dollars from the very few fixed lens enthusiasts, though I do usually call them fixed lens snobs.

Regards.... Guy

a lesser zoom like 16-50mm will sell.

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 12,869

yusufmotiwala wrote:

I wish if Sony can come up with a 1" sensor fixed lens camera with 24mm or 28mm equivalent lens, that'd be a killer. And if it is more pocketable (possibly it will be) than RX100, would be awesome.

How much more pocketable (flatter) could it be than an RX100III/IV/V with a retracted lens that covers 24-28mm at f/1.8-2.2? Not much, I'm thinking ... and a lens doesn't need to be flat when shooting. I'll stick with the zoom.

noisebeam Senior Member • Posts: 2,659

valsan wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

Regards.... Guy

a lesser zoom like 16-50mm will sell.

That would be excellent.

noisebeam's gear list:noisebeam's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +8 more
sludge21017
sludge21017 Senior Member • Posts: 1,705

Yeah the RX0 and RX0M2.

People pocket the RX100 series. It sounds like time to give up the skinny jeans and get some pants with real pockets.

John Gellings Veteran Member • Posts: 5,096

yusufmotiwala wrote:

I hope Sony is watching this forum.

My most photos with RX100 are on the wider side. I wish if Sony can come up with a 1" sensor fixed lens camera with 24mm or 28mm equivalent lens, that'd be a killer. And if it is more pocketable (possibly it will be) than RX100, would be awesome.

Sorry if this was discussed before.

Sony RX0... but I'm with you...but I want a 40mm - 50mm model.

John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +6 more

Guy Parsons wrote:

I doubt! Ricoh GR and RX1 popularity say otherwise.

-- hide signature --

Andreasfe wrote:

yusufmotiwala wrote:

Andreasfe wrote:

RX0 II? šŸ™‚

It's way more pocketable and have an 1" sensor and 24mm equivalent focal length.

https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/sony-rx0-ii-vs-sony-rx100-vi

Addressing a different segment? Maybe, but it has what you initially asked for. What make this a bad solution, if what you want is something smaller than an RX100 with a fixed 24 or 28mm equivalent lens?

To me this seems like an extremely great inconspicuous camera.

I might read between the lines that what you really want is a much slimmer camera than an RX100, equipped with a 1" sensor and a fixed focal length wide angle lens?

RX0 is nowhere fitting the bill. It has a slower and mediocre f4 lens which does even cover the full sensor, the effective output of 15MP compared to RX100 f1.8 & 20MP.

-- hide signature --
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 32,003

yusufmotiwala wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

But how many of those cameras are actually out there compared to the number of 'phones being used for the same purpose?

It's distinctly a very small minority of photographers, a niche within a niche it seems.

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL1 +4 more

Guy Parsons wrote:

yusufmotiwala wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

But how many of those cameras are actually out there compared to the number of 'phones being used for the same purpose?

It's distinctly a very small minority of photographers, a niche within a niche it seems.

and that niche within a niche is where money can be made... look at Leica.

Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +6 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 42,214

I assume you mean prime when you say "fixed lens". Why? What advantage would it have over the RX100Va with a 24-70 f1.8-2.8 lens.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more

tbcass wrote:

I assume you mean prime when you say "fixed lens". Why? What advantage would it have over the RX100Va with a 24-70 f1.8-2.8 lens.

Higher quality lens in a slimmer package. And prime simply mean one focal length. Fixed means one focal length that canā€™t be taken off the camera. Some of us prefer primes to zooms.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads