Query: Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-S

Started 4 months ago | Questions
TheCasualShooter
TheCasualShooter Regular Member • Posts: 191
Query: Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-S

Hi!. Anyone here have experience with this lens? I would like to know your thoughts. thank you.

-- hide signature --

Keep the hunger for perfection.

 TheCasualShooter's gear list:TheCasualShooter's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Michigan Sandman
Michigan Sandman Regular Member • Posts: 324
Re: Query: Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-S

I use to shoot with this lens quite a bit when I was shooting only film. DOF at f/1.2 is razor thin. I have used it for night shooting because it lets in so much light. I also have used the lens with various cameras like the Df, D3s, D800, and D700. I like using the Zeiss 50mm 1.4, or the Makro F/2 ZF.2 lenses more because they have the chip and they communicate with the camera. This allows you to also shoot in shutter priority, plus the lens information is stored on the memory card.

 Michigan Sandman's gear list:Michigan Sandman's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D700 Nikon D3X Nikon D3S Nikon D4 +72 more
Rico Schiekel
Rico Schiekel Regular Member • Posts: 259
Re: Query: Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-S
3

TheCasualShooter wrote:

Hi!. Anyone here have experience with this lens? I would like to know your thoughts. thank you.

I really like the build quality and the rendering of this lens. Bokeh is a bit special wide open, some people like it, some not. Wide open it also has this kind of glow you get with some of those older lens designs. To get good sharpness you have to step the lens down to f/2 or f/2.8 for excellent sharpness.

Additionally shooting wide open can be a bit tricky and challenging since the DOF is quite shallow. But if you nail focus the results are very pleasing imho. Focus peaking on a Z can help there a bit.

All in all I really like this lens. I should shot it more often though.

Here some examples on my flickr stream.

HTH,
Rico

 Rico Schiekel's gear list:Rico Schiekel's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
TheCasualShooter
OP TheCasualShooter Regular Member • Posts: 191
Re: Query: Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-S

Michigan Sandman wrote:

I use to shoot with this lens quite a bit when I was shooting only film. DOF at f/1.2 is razor thin. I have used it for night shooting because it lets in so much light. I also have used the lens with various cameras like the Df, D3s, D800, and D700. I like using the Zeiss 50mm 1.4, or the Makro F/2 ZF.2 lenses more because they have the chip and they communicate with the camera. This allows you to also shoot in shutter priority, plus the lens information is stored on the memory card.

Hi! Thanks for you reply. I may need it during digital work on some occasions. but I'm mainly intending to use it on my Nikon F3. Though I'm curious on how it will be on my D810.

-- hide signature --

Keep the hunger for perfection.

 TheCasualShooter's gear list:TheCasualShooter's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +5 more
TheCasualShooter
OP TheCasualShooter Regular Member • Posts: 191
Re: Query: Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-S

Rico Schiekel wrote:

TheCasualShooter wrote:

Hi!. Anyone here have experience with this lens? I would like to know your thoughts. thank you.

I really like the build quality and the rendering of this lens. Bokeh is a bit special wide open, some people like it, some not. Wide open it also has this kind of glow you get with some of those older lens designs. To get good sharpness you have to step the lens down to f/2 or f/2.8 for excellent sharpness.

Additionally shooting wide open can be a bit tricky and challenging since the DOF is quite shallow. But if you nail focus the results are very pleasing imho. Focus peaking on a Z can help there a bit.

All in all I really like this lens. I should shot it more often though.

Here some examples on my flickr stream.

HTH,
Rico

Great examples! thank you so much! Hoping to get this lens this coming weekend.

-- hide signature --

Keep the hunger for perfection.

 TheCasualShooter's gear list:TheCasualShooter's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +5 more
Michigan Sandman
Michigan Sandman Regular Member • Posts: 324
Re: Query: Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-S
1

It will be easier to focus on the F3. With the D810 you will have to depend on the confirmation dot. But the nice part about it is, with the D810  you don't have to burn up a lot of money on film while you get used to the lens.

 Michigan Sandman's gear list:Michigan Sandman's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D700 Nikon D3X Nikon D3S Nikon D4 +72 more
avalvo Senior Member • Posts: 1,051
Re: Query: Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-S
2

A classic and wonderful optic.  I will never sell mine.  It's made for the F3,  and did well for me on the F5, F6 and digital.

TheCasualShooter
OP TheCasualShooter Regular Member • Posts: 191
Re: Query: Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-S

Michigan Sandman wrote:

It will be easier to focus on the F3. With the D810 you will have to depend on the confirmation dot. But the nice part about it is, with the D810 you don't have to burn up a lot of money on film while you get used to the lens.

Yeah good point. Plus, I don't develop my film. So I need to take it to the lab first.. which are not that common in the Philippines nowadays.

-- hide signature --

Keep the hunger for perfection.

 TheCasualShooter's gear list:TheCasualShooter's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +5 more
TheCasualShooter
OP TheCasualShooter Regular Member • Posts: 191
Re: Query: Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-S

avalvo wrote:

A classic and wonderful optic. I will never sell mine. It's made for the F3, and did well for me on the F5, F6 and digital.

Nice. Truly a legacy lens. It's still in production I think. saw this one on display on Japan's Photography mecca, the Yodobashi camera store.

-- hide signature --

Keep the hunger for perfection.

 TheCasualShooter's gear list:TheCasualShooter's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +5 more
larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,672
Re: Query: Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-S
1

I had the NIkon 50mm f1.2 ais lens in the past and it has so much character, beautifully built and smooth as butter auto focus ring.  I used it on my d810 and if you hit the focus while holding the aperture at 2.0 or even wider the image will be really good.

Probably best focus when using the live view and a tripod or solid base.

Larry

 larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +8 more
TheCasualShooter
OP TheCasualShooter Regular Member • Posts: 191
Re: Query: Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-S

larrywilson wrote:

I had the NIkon 50mm f1.2 ais lens in the past and it has so much character, beautifully built and smooth as butter auto focus ring. I used it on my d810 and if you hit the focus while holding the aperture at 2.0 or even wider the image will be really good.

Probably best focus when using the live view and a tripod or solid base.

Larry

Thanks Larry, i think it would be easier to focus on Nikon F3's split screen focusing. can't wait to get a hold of this lens.. i also want to try it out on my D810 for once.

-- hide signature --

Keep the hunger for perfection.

 TheCasualShooter's gear list:TheCasualShooter's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +5 more
larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,672
Re: Query: Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-S

TheCasualShooter wrote:

larrywilson wrote:

I had the NIkon 50mm f1.2 ais lens in the past and it has so much character, beautifully built and smooth as butter auto focus ring. I used it on my d810 and if you hit the focus while holding the aperture at 2.0 or even wider the image will be really good.

Probably best focus when using the live view and a tripod or solid base.

Larry

Thanks Larry, i think it would be easier to focus on Nikon F3's split screen focusing. can't wait to get a hold of this lens.. i also want to try it out on my D810 for once.

Yes, not a problem on most slr's, more difficult on dslr's.  I loved manual focus in the 90's on my f100.

Larry

 larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +8 more
Raymond Wave Contributing Member • Posts: 941
Re: Query: Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-S
2

I like it. I use it for it's special f1.2 look. There is flare and glare and all that stuff, but when properly focused it's actually pretty sharp underneath even at f1.2.

I've learnt to get pretty good focus using live view on my D750 and assigning zoom to OK button. No problem getting keepers hand held portrait shoots. It takes a bit of concentrating and lot's of shots, but it's worth it.

For focusing through viewfinder it has to be stopped down to atleast f2.8 for any acceptable results.

 Raymond Wave's gear list:Raymond Wave's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7500
TheCasualShooter
OP TheCasualShooter Regular Member • Posts: 191
Re: Query: Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-S

WOW!! those are great samples! thanks.. focusing will be a challenge for me at first. but i'm very much excited to have this lens and try it out.

-- hide signature --

Keep the hunger for perfection.

 TheCasualShooter's gear list:TheCasualShooter's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +5 more
fPrime
fPrime Senior Member • Posts: 2,930
Re: Query: Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-S
5

Have the 50/1.2 AI-S and love the unique look it has (particularly when wide open for indoor and night photography). During the daytime I prefer to stop it down to f/2 where it ranks among the sharpest of Nikon 50mm’s.

Recommend you get both the hood for it and quality ND2 and ND4 filters. You’ll need them!

fPrime

-- hide signature --

Half of my heart is a shotgun wedding to a bride with a paper ring,
And half of my heart is the part of a man who's never truly loved anything.

 fPrime's gear list:fPrime's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D700
TheCasualShooter
OP TheCasualShooter Regular Member • Posts: 191
Re: Query: Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-S
2

Dear All,

Thank you so much for the feed backs.

I finally bought the lens yesterday in a used camera store for about $270. It includes the hood (as fPrime mentioned) and a UV filter.

I think the previous owner really got the best out of it as seen in the scuff marks on the external of the lens. However the lens seems still in good shape. Aperture ring is still snappy on all stops. Focus ring is just a tiny bitty stiff for my taste but turns smoothly and sure. And the glass is still freaking clean!

Tested it with my D810 at the store.. and i'm just mesmerized by it.

I can't wait to see how this lens will do on a real shoot!

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Keep the hunger for perfection.

 TheCasualShooter's gear list:TheCasualShooter's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads