Apple's fourth attempt at a Macbook Pro keyboard

Started 3 months ago | Polls
photosen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,216
Apple's fourth attempt at a Macbook Pro keyboard

From Arstechnica. We're talking about the fourth generation of "butterfly" keyboards of course.

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
POLL
Does this make you want to cry? If a company fails after three attempts at something so basic...
26.7% 4  votes
Does this make you happy? Finally you'll be able to replace that old laptop... Assuming they get it right this time of course, which is not a given; and that displays don't fail either.
6.7% 1  vote
Don't care, I'll keep using my old mac till it dies.
33.3% 5  votes
Don't care, I'll buy from them anyway.
20.0% 3  votes
Moved on from Apple long ago.
13.3% 2  votes
  Show results
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,176
Re: Apple's fourth attempt at a Macbook Pro keyboard

This is a joke!

I'll never buy a MBP with butterfly keyboard again!

Apple is destroying their reputation with these keyboards.

Windows notebooks are getting more and more attractive to me....

dlevitt Contributing Member • Posts: 557

Even the keyboards shipped with the iMacs are pretty poor.

When I need to do extensive writing or editing on my 2017 iMac [now temporarily dead, on its way to the shop] I tend to plug in the old keyboard from my G3 iMac

-- hide signature --

Save the Earth! Collect the entire set!

dlevitt's gear list:dlevitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Apple Aperture +3 more
wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 8,610

Apple previously said only a “small percentage” of keyboards were affected but with the new 4th Gen butterfly keyboards, they are repairing all affected keyboards for free now.

-- hide signature --

Never buy version 1.0 of anything.
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 15,729

wklee wrote:

Apple previously said only a “small percentage” of keyboards were affected but with the new 4th Gen butterfly keyboards, they are repairing all affected keyboards for free now.

That does not mean that a large percentage of existing keyboards are failing.  It could mean that only a small percentage are failing, but that Apple has decided to pick up the repair tab for those that do.

RLight Contributing Member • Posts: 911
Actually the trackpad/forcepad is awful

Don't take this the wrong way, but, those new keyboards are some of the finest IMO.

Now, the trackpad, or lacktherof (it's a forcepad), stinks. And, this being a photography forum, let me say it's because of photography it's a problem.

My 2014 MBPR 15" has a REAL touchpad with a real clicky-clicky. 100% of the time when I click something, guess what? It works!

Forcepads? I've tried 2015-2018 models. They all work with 90-95% compliance. That 5-10% lack of compliance drives me NUTS when I say go to drag a photo and it doesn't drag. Not acceptable.

The keyboard is fine in my book. The trackpad is garbage.

Now I'm sure others feel as strongly as I do about the keyboard as I do the trackpad/forcepad. It's keeping me locked at the 2014 model, the last one to use a real trackpad.

BTW, Intel and others haven't really changed enough to warrant an upgrade. A simple battery replacement, regreasing the components and cleaning can make a MacBook really extend it's life.

The grass isn't greener with PC laptops either. Trust me, they have their sets of issues. If you hate the new butterfly keyboards, heh, you're in for a rude awakening with most PC laptops.... They have something wrong, be it the screen, touchpad, keyboard, too big/thick, etc etc. Not even saying a word about Windows, which Windows 10 is decent these days in my book, but just the hardware, woof. Some of the HPs get close, but Apple is still leading the pack.

That said, had I wished they kept the old trackpad (or keyboard in your case)? Yup.

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS R Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS II Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 5,478
no issue with in total 3 butterfly keyboards in the past 2 ½ years

coouldn't care less - use the LapTop keyboard only when traveling and seldom at home and in the office I use a separate keyboard and the rMBP closed down.

For me not an issue at all

(none of my various butterfly mechanism keyboards failed to date)

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads