Why do ppl prefer ricoh GR for "street photo"and not Sony RX100

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
vallhall Senior Member • Posts: 1,025
Why do ppl prefer ricoh GR for "street photo"and not Sony RX100

Hi

I have no experience with street photo, but why is Ricoh GR favorite?. I mean the Sony RX100 has sharp lenses, amazing af, EVF and not least zoom

Explain for me plz

vallhall's gear list:vallhall's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Samsung NX500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Labe
MOD Labe Veteran Member • Posts: 9,684
Re: Why do ppl prefer ricoh GR for "street photo"and not Sony RX100

Why would anyone using a Ricoh be here in the Sony forum?

Im a RX10 user myself preferring the 24-200 f2.8 and large grip.

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Canon EOS 60D Olympus E-M1
OP vallhall Senior Member • Posts: 1,025

Labe wrote:

English isnt my first languike, so maybe i misunderstand you, or you me!?

As i understand Ricoh GR is a more common, and ppl refer to it as street camera than RX100. RX10 is a different animal

Sony RX100 VI Samsung NX500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
66GTO Veteran Member • Posts: 3,238

Ricoh GR is OK, but it will never be a Sony. Maybe they like the fixed focal length lens.

-- hide signature --

Crazy old man! Slow down. You are way too old to be
hunting hemi's in that 66GTO.

66GTO's gear list:66GTO's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 +1 more
Labe
MOD Labe Veteran Member • Posts: 9,684

vallhall wrote:

Labe wrote:

As i understand Ricoh GR is a more common, and ppl refer to it as street camera than RX100. RX10 is a different animal

You should be asking the question in the Ricoh forum to find out why they chose it.

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Canon EOS 60D Olympus E-M1

66GTO wrote:

Ricoh GR is OK, but it will never be a Sony. Maybe they like the fixed focal length lens.

Yepp i agree

Labe wrote:

vallhall wrote:

Labe wrote:

You should be asking the question in the Ricoh forum to find out why they chose it.

Or maybe in the more neutral "open talk" forum

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 12,888

vallhall wrote:

I have no experience with street photo, but why is Ricoh GR favorite?

Explain for me plz

Who says people prefer the Ricoh as the favorite? Explain that for me, please.

edform
edform Veteran Member • Posts: 6,291

vallhall wrote:

Hi

I have no experience with street photo, but why is Ricoh GR favorite?. I mean the Sony RX100 has sharp lenses, amazing af, EVF and not least zoom

Explain for me plz

Assuming you are looking at the Ricoh GR and one of the RX100 models [RX100-iii or later] as alternative pocketable cameras...

The Ricoh has a bigger sensor - 367 square millimetres area compared to the Sony's 116 square millimetres and this ought to gain the Ricoh an advantage of lower noise in poor light. In practice this is somewhat offset by the bigger aperture of the Sony's lens.

The Sony has zoom from 24mm, which is wider than the Ricoh's 28mm fixed lens, to 70mm which gives very good portrait shots.

The Sony can be used at waist level with the screen tilted up to horizontal and viewed from above. This way of working is a great favourite with street photographers - one member of the local club I attend takes award-winning pictures from very close to his subjects and they aren't even aware that he's shooting. The fixed screen of the Ricoh is a restriction.

The Sony has a viewfinder - it pops up as you probably know and can be a big help on sunny days when the rear screen is bleached out and hard to see.

So the Sony RX10-III is an altogether more versatile camera than the Ricoh, but the bigger sensor of the Ricoh may be an advantage in poor light.

In addition, I'm really not aware that the Ricoh is some kind of just right camera for street photography or that it is praised on that basis. It's a pretty good piece of kit but I'd much rather have an RX10-III and a pile of money back.

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +1 more
JacobTheNewb
JacobTheNewb Regular Member • Posts: 149

For Street:

- ASPC Sized Sensor better IQ in low light, more bokeh?

- Snap Focus mode - You can set your focus to 2 meters and full press shutter to take a photo at that exact focal point. No waiting for cameras auto focus.

- Almost instant on and ready - Sony camera takes a while to get on, get to the desired focal length, focus and take the photo. The GRIII Takes under a half second to turn on and take a photo.

- Smaller / Pocket-able design thats lighter with Grip - If you've ever held the GRIII and the RX100 you will notice the GRIII feels a bit better in ergonomics. Its got a built in grip and is a bit longer and thinner with easier one handed button operation. (subjective)

That being said the RX100 series is a better all around camera for many reasons. Those are just the reasons I can think of that you'd prefer it for street.

-- hide signature --

The biggest limiting factor is me not the camera.
Flickr Profile

JacobTheNewb's gear list:JacobTheNewb's gear list
Sony DSC-RX0

JacobTheNewb wrote:

For Street:

- ASPC Sized Sensor better IQ in low light, more bokeh?

- Snap Focus mode - You can set your focus to 2 meters and full press shutter to take a photo at that exact focal point. No waiting for cameras auto focus.

- Almost instant on and ready - Sony camera takes a while to get on, get to the desired focal length, focus and take the photo. The GRIII Takes under a half second to turn on and take a photo.

- Smaller / Pocket-able design thats lighter with Grip - If you've ever held the GRIII and the RX100 you will notice the GRIII feels a bit better in ergonomics. Its got a built in grip and is a bit longer and thinner with easier one handed button operation. (subjective)

That being said the RX100 series is a better all around camera for many reasons. Those are just the reasons I can think of that you'd prefer it for street.

Balanced and well written!, many thanks

valsan Contributing Member • Posts: 610
Why ppl prefer zoom vs prime? (n.t)

No text.

LenRivers Contributing Member • Posts: 892

I would put the Fuji X100f and Sony RX1 and Leica Q2 in the mix.

Any camera can be for street, the idea is unobtrusive with a big camera. No one really looks at smaller cameras

To that end the RX100 sensor is really small vs the other so there are certain pluses and minues to the whole mix.

All are in the p&s class just the price tag is vast

Look up vivian maier one of my favorite street photographers (historical)

Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 8,555
Re: Why ppl prefer zoom vs prime? (n.t)

So you can get close-ups of people across the street without having to get close.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +15 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 269

Labe wrote:

From what I read on here there are plenty who own both

MrHollywood
MrHollywood Senior Member • Posts: 2,976

Well...

I can't speak this bluntly on the Ricoh forum, but coming from owning a GRII, I can say the following:

The Sony eats the Ricoh for lunch in many respects for street shooting. The Ricoh's sole advantage is the larger sensor for lower light work, but the camera is a slow focusing dog and has no viewfinder. In bright conditions the GR rear LCD is nearly useless and the poor thing shoots 4 FPS with a RAW buffer depth of 9 shots.

The 28mm lens is crisp, but the Zeiss/Sony lens is frankly a FAR nicer hunk of glass and can do what the Ricoh does and so much more.

I'm hardly a pro street shooter, but here are a few from this morning...

You can pretty much use anything for street work; even a phone. But the Sony is far more capable and flexible than the GR cameras.

Keep in mind that 50, 85, 135, and 200mm are all useful for street work. The Ricoh is seriously limited and worst of all, the AF and colors are poor. It has a fanbase, but a lot of the fandom isn't based on reality.

Rob

-- hide signature --

"We need a bigger boat."

MrHollywood's gear list:MrHollywood's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Nikon D850 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +15 more
Re: Why ppl prefer zoom vs prime? (n.t)

Digital Nigel wrote:

So you can get close-ups of people across the street without having to get close.

I know, i own a rx100. My reply is what OP should have asked.

Both cameras have pro and cons. Some will prefer Sony and some will prefer Ricoh.

MrHollywood wrote:

Well...

I can't speak this bluntly on the Ricoh forum,

i think you have being trolling the ricoh forum for a few weeks.

We are happy with our rx100 cameras, there is no need to hijack threads over there.

you are doing what some M43/APSC/FF users do from time to time to this forum to the RX10/RX100 series.

if you are happy (as most rx100 users are, including me) just be happy.

but coming from owning a GRII, I can say the following:

The Sony eats the Ricoh for lunch in many respects for street shooting. The Ricoh's sole advantage is the larger sensor for lower light work, but the camera is a slow focusing dog and has no viewfinder. In bright conditions the GR rear LCD is nearly useless and the poor thing shoots 4 FPS with a RAW buffer depth of 9 shots.

The 28mm lens is crisp, but the Zeiss/Sony lens is frankly a FAR nicer hunk of glass and can do what the Ricoh does and so much more.

I'm hardly a pro street shooter, but here are a few from this morning...

You can pretty much use anything for street work; even a phone. But the Sony is far more capable and flexible than the GR cameras.

Keep in mind that 50, 85, 135, and 200mm are all useful for street work. The Ricoh is seriously limited and worst of all, the AF and colors are poor. It has a fanbase, but a lot of the fandom isn't based on reality.

Rob

-- hide signature --

"We need a bigger boat."

MrHollywood
MrHollywood Senior Member • Posts: 2,976

valsan wrote:

MrHollywood wrote:

Well...

I can't speak this bluntly on the Ricoh forum,

i think you have being trolling the ricoh forum for a few weeks.

No, I did not "troll" anything. I gave factual info and got attacked by children. I owned a GRII and enjoyed it. But the GR has a rabid fanbase that does a disservice to those looking for info on what camera might suit them.

Here's my GR KIT...now sold...

Like I said, I enjoyed it. But I don't tell silly tales about it. The GR cameras have serious limitations, including street work.

We are happy with our rx100 cameras, there is no need to hijack threads over there.

you are doing what some M43/APSC/FF users do from time to time to this forum to the RX10/RX100 series.

if you are happy (as most rx100 users are, including me) just be happy.

Please go be a netkop elsewhere.

I posted in the Ricoh forum because my views are relevant to the GR and nothing I posted was incorrect. Two people throwing tantrums about those comments don't make me a troll.

Rob

-- hide signature --

"We need a bigger boat."

MrHollywood's gear list:MrHollywood's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Nikon D850 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +15 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 269

vallhall wrote:

Hi

Explain for me plz

I think you are asking why GR seems to be considered more important ?

Most of it has to do with a cult for the camera that has turned more mainstream. Also because of the cameras old history with Daido Moriyama who hasn't used a Ricoh camera in tens years. He tested latest GR and Ricoh used it as promotion but Daido went back to his Nikon zoom cameras. So I believe the term for this is "hype".

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads