Keeping a lens clean

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Dave7878 Forum Member • Posts: 66
Keeping a lens clean

What is the best way to keep the lens clean?  I have heard the Zeiss wipes are very good.  I know there are also brushes and microfiber clothes.  What do you think is the best way.  And should the lens be cleaned after every use?

 Dave7878's gear list:Dave7878's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3
Jonsi
Jonsi Senior Member • Posts: 3,326
Re: Keeping a lens clean
1

I use the Zeiss wipes myself.

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 25,680
Re: Keeping a lens clean
7

Dave7878 wrote:

What is the best way to keep the lens clean? I have heard the Zeiss wipes are very good. I know there are also brushes and microfiber clothes. What do you think is the best way. And should the lens be cleaned after every use?

No.  Clean as little as possible.  I use a Giottos Rocket Blower for loose dust, and a lens brush for anything that can't be blown away.  After that, I use a LensPen.  I rarely go any further than that.

Best way to keep dust & debris off the front element - short of keeping it in the box and never using - is to use the proper lens hood.  And unless you're shooting in really extreme conditions (very windy beach, sandstorm in the desert, welding/cutting operation, etc) a clear protection filter is overkill.

Mark

uncleskull Senior Member • Posts: 2,278
Re: Keeping a lens clean

Jonsi wrote:

I use the Zeiss wipes myself.

The Zeiss wipes are fantastic!  (but i use them on my lenses, not myself)

-- hide signature --

unc
~ The only things stopping us from reaching our goals are the limitations we place on ourselves ~

 uncleskull's gear list:uncleskull's gear list
Olympus E-10
LordKOTL
LordKOTL Senior Member • Posts: 1,206
Re: Keeping a lens clean

Dave7878 wrote:

What is the best way to keep the lens clean? I have heard the Zeiss wipes are very good. I know there are also brushes and microfiber clothes. What do you think is the best way. And should the lens be cleaned after every use?

Usually a fleck of dust is not going to impact an image much unless you're way stopped down.  My procedure:

  1. I use a rocket blower 1st--this usually dislodges most if not all dust/dirt
  2. A lens brush comes next for any stubborn dirt, using light pressure.
  3. If there's smudges like fingerprints, then I'll use either a lens wipe or a zeiss cleaning fluid with a zeiss lens tissue, but I figure wipes or a clean microfiber cloth will work just fine.

Other than that, I'll only clean if there's visible dust or smudges.  If not then as far as I'm concerned the lens is clean.

-- hide signature --

There's no shame in using auto or semiauto modes--no matter what the salesdroids at Best Buy tell you.

 LordKOTL's gear list:LordKOTL's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +3 more
Jonsi
Jonsi Senior Member • Posts: 3,326
Re: Keeping a lens clean
1

uncleskull wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

I use the Zeiss wipes myself.

The Zeiss wipes are fantastic! (but i use them on my lenses, not myself)

Don't knock it 'til ya try it

-- hide signature --

unc
~ The only things stopping us from reaching our goals are the limitations we place on ourselves ~

smithim Contributing Member • Posts: 835
Re: Keeping a lens clean

Dave7878 wrote:

What is the best way to keep the lens clean? I have heard the Zeiss wipes are very good. I know there are also brushes and microfiber clothes. What do you think is the best way. And should the lens be cleaned after every use?

I use filters fitted for protection, and thus have never had to clean the lens itself.

Many people may not like this, but it's always worked for me....

If I have to clean a filter, then it's a Giotto blower first, then a microfibre cloth - if that doesn't work, then a Zeiss wipe.

StarPortraits Regular Member • Posts: 172
Re: Keeping a lens clean

Don't clean the glass after every use unless necessary. Most times a rocket blower will do. The thing here is to never touch the glass. The beach is a must clean for me because of the salt and wind. I would also wipe down the body with a damp cloth. The protective lens filter is a option tho for me is more paranohia.

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 25,680
Re: Keeping a lens clean

smithim wrote:

Dave7878 wrote:

What is the best way to keep the lens clean? I have heard the Zeiss wipes are very good. I know there are also brushes and microfiber clothes. What do you think is the best way. And should the lens be cleaned after every use?

I use filters fitted for protection, and thus have never had to clean the lens itself.

Many people may not like this, but it's always worked for me....

If I have to clean a filter, then it's a Giotto blower first, then a microfibre cloth - if that doesn't work, then a Zeiss wipe.

Unsurprisingly, that works just as well on the lens element

smithim Contributing Member • Posts: 835
Re: Keeping a lens clean

Mark B. wrote:

smithim wrote:

Dave7878 wrote:

What is the best way to keep the lens clean? I have heard the Zeiss wipes are very good. I know there are also brushes and microfiber clothes. What do you think is the best way. And should the lens be cleaned after every use?

I use filters fitted for protection, and thus have never had to clean the lens itself.

Many people may not like this, but it's always worked for me....

If I have to clean a filter, then it's a Giotto blower first, then a microfibre cloth - if that doesn't work, then a Zeiss wipe.

Unsurprisingly, that works just as well on the lens element

Probably, but I wouldn't know - all my lenses surfaces are as pristine as the day that I bought them

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 25,680
Re: Keeping a lens clean

smithim wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

smithim wrote:

Dave7878 wrote:

What is the best way to keep the lens clean? I have heard the Zeiss wipes are very good. I know there are also brushes and microfiber clothes. What do you think is the best way. And should the lens be cleaned after every use?

I use filters fitted for protection, and thus have never had to clean the lens itself.

Many people may not like this, but it's always worked for me....

If I have to clean a filter, then it's a Giotto blower first, then a microfibre cloth - if that doesn't work, then a Zeiss wipe.

Unsurprisingly, that works just as well on the lens element

Probably, but I wouldn't know - all my lenses surfaces are as pristine as the day that I bought them

Same here.

Mark_A
Mark_A Forum Pro • Posts: 14,492
I hardly clean mine ..
1

Dave7878 wrote:

What is the best way to keep the lens clean? I have heard the Zeiss wipes are very good. I know there are also brushes and microfiber clothes. What do you think is the best way. And should the lens be cleaned after every use?

I hardly clean mine ..

I rarely use them in the rain, or in very dusty conditions. I have a lenspen which has a brush for brushing the front element which I don't do often.

Mark_A

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads