Which all in one Zoom for D7500 / D7200 / D500 ?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Graham Sp Contributing Member • Posts: 634
Which all in one Zoom for D7500 / D7200 / D500 ?

For higher quality I have a Sigma 17-70C but on holiday I want a longer range zoom but still reasonably sharp (and want a metal mount).

I did buy a white box Nikon 18-140 a few years ago, it seemed to work OK on my Df but on my new D7500 it is soft at 18 and 50mm but sharp at 140mm.
On DXO it claims this is a good lens at all focal lenghts, but for me at the moment and on the ephotozine.com test shot at 18mm that does not appear to be true in the corners / short edges.

I have tried focus fine tune (it is about +5 now when set at 50mm) and limiting smallest aperture to F6.7 but I still do not like the 18mm and 50mm results much.

So shall I

a/ Buy another 18-140mm, in a gold box this time, as I have dropped my current 18-140mm once and hope the new one works more like the DXO review. Perhap Nikon have got better quality control over the years?

b/ Get a Sigma 18-200 C, they are cheap enough, it is an upto date design. As long as it is OK up to 105mm or 140mm I will be happy.

c/ Get a Nikon 18-200 Mk2, the DXO measurement data / graphs appear less good, but perhaps it takes sharp shots at 18mm and is well built?

or lastly

d/ Get a Nikon 18-300, the Mk2 (the F6.3 one) it seems to have good DXO data although it needs a fair bit of in camera distortion correction and has more tele than I need, it is a recent design.

Thank is advance Graham

-- hide signature --

Graham
www.spinney.biz

Graham Sp's gear list:Graham Sp's gear list
Nikon D600 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Fujifilm X-E2S
Nikon D500 Nikon D7200 Nikon D7500 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
threw the lens
threw the lens Contributing Member • Posts: 799
Re: Which all in one Zoom for D7500 / D7200 / D500 ?

I think you've just found out that superzooms do not give you ultimate quality.

This should be obvious in principle that 8-16x zooms should not give you results too close to those of primes or 3x zooms, but you get a lot of people on forums talking them up saying that these 8x zooms are good enough for them and spreading unrealistic expectations.

I think the 18-200 is okay- there are no optical differences between gold and red version. I think it's a little bit better than the 18-105 but it might just depend on copy variation. The 18-200 does feel nicer.

Superzooms are an area where technological developments make a big difference, so I would look at the latest Sigma/Tamron versions because they seem to update them every couple of years.

lokatz
lokatz Senior Member • Posts: 1,263

For starters, DxO data always need to be taken with a grain of salt.  Look for threads here on DPR if you'd like to know more.

Just to add some data to the discussion, German photo mag ColorFoto, which I like for their diligent and systematic testing, awarded the following scores to these lenses (the numbers are total score/IQ at the wide end/IQ in the middle/IQ at the tele end) :

Nikon 18-140:  52/49/62/44.5

Sigma 18-200: 52/57.7/45.5/53

Nikon 18-200: not tested

Nikon 18-300: 43.533.5/59/37.5

Sigma 18-300: 53.5/50/62.5/47.5

All of those are considerably lower than what most other lenses received, which confirms the point that superzooms have inherent limitations. For comparison, your Sigma 17-50 got 56/56.4/54/57.5 points and the Nikon 55-200 VR II received 68/76/63/65.

If I were you, I'd add the latter to your Sigma, changing lenses as needed.  That lens  weighs and costs almost nothing. IMO it is the best bargain Nikon currently offers.

lokatz's gear list:lokatz's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D700 Nikon D5100 Nikon D500 Nikon D7500 +21 more
OP Graham Sp Contributing Member • Posts: 634

Thanks very much for your comments Lokatz.

The other thing I like to do is as simple as comparing the number of element (too many is bad / low contrast) and special elements, ED etc that help a bit. For my full frame Nikons I think the Nikon 24-120 is a waste of money and the Sigma 24-105 is far better, I rarely notice any extra distortion on sigma 24mm shots and 24mm needs to be used carefully anyway.

I guess my new thought is if I want a lighter DX tele also do I

get a Nikon 55-300, metal mount and cheaper that when lauched

get a plastic mount Nikon AF-P DX Nikkor 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR and accept it migh get snapped off one day.  Very cheap imported.

or get the Nikon 18-300 as ultimatley I have full frame cameras if the quality is an issue and this does both jobs.

-- hide signature --

Graham
www.spinney.biz

lokatz
lokatz Senior Member • Posts: 1,263

Graham Sp wrote:

I guess my new thought is if I want a lighter DX tele also do I get a Nikon 55-300, metal mount and cheaper that when lauched

get a plastic mount Nikon AF-P DX Nikkor 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR and accept it migh get snapped off one day. Very cheap imported.

or get the Nikon 18-300 as ultimatley I have full frame cameras if the quality is an issue and this does both jobs.

Hi Graham, I would stay away from the 55-300. IQ-wise, it is a whole notch worse than the 55-200 VR II AND the AF-P 70-300, so you won't see much improvement over a superzoom.

While I don't own any plastic mount lenses any longer, I can also say I had quite a few of them over the years and never had quality issues with any of them.  But you are right: the 70-300 DX is cheap enough to replace it and forget the issue IF something happens.

Lothar

lokatz's gear list:lokatz's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D700 Nikon D5100 Nikon D500 Nikon D7500 +21 more
nafik Contributing Member • Posts: 912

One thing usually missing in many posts about equipment is what the shooting with it is aimed at.  Online posting or mural size prints? That pretty much determines the demands to IQ and even if huge prints are regularly made, they are mostly viewed from a distance.

I shoot and often sell prints made with very pedestrian equipment. And that is another issue. Not many buyers and viewers of my pictures are "art collectors", I would even suggest none of them. But they view, compliment me and buy, even what I was ready to trash.

My question is do I really need this endless quest for better camera, lens, IQ or just use my skills whatever I have.

-- hide signature --

M.
Nice camera...now show me the pictures.

nafik's gear list:nafik's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
OP Graham Sp Contributing Member • Posts: 634

Yes that is one challedge now the world has gone digital, new equipment is launched all the time to distact us from the photography.  I had the same Olympus OM2SP, 2 primes and 2 zooms for years.

One thing that is interesting on full frame cameras is you can pick up old lens without VR second hand cheaply and the work just fine eg Nikon 28-105, Nikon 24-85 and I bought a manual focus Nikon 300mm with teleconvertors that on the tripod is just fine.

-- hide signature --

Graham
www.spinney.biz

Bobby Handal
Bobby Handal Veteran Member • Posts: 5,664

I believe that all in one zoom should not be critically reviewed for sharpness, obviously if you stop down and find the sweet spot then you get a decent photo.

The reason for an all in one zoom is for vacations, to show what you saw, for comfort . Your vacation photos are to be shown in internet, perhaps a photo album (max size what 8x10 photos?) rarely are these photos enlarged to poster size, and even then its surprising how well they look.

These lenses are intended for those moments you want to be lazy and not change lenses all the time, for those times you want to travel light, and for that they are very good.

for the above reasons, I would suggest you look into the tamron 18-400mm . Take a look at this page for photos https://www.facebook.com/groups/342278929558872/

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Olympus TG-5 Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon 1 V2 +74 more
nafik Contributing Member • Posts: 912

Graham Sp wrote:

Yes that is one challedge now the world has gone digital, new equipment is launched all the time to distact us from the photography. I had the same Olympus OM2SP, 2 primes and 2 zooms for years.

One thing that is interesting on full frame cameras is you can pick up old lens without VR second hand cheaply and the work just fine eg Nikon 28-105, Nikon 24-85 and I bought a manual focus Nikon 300mm with teleconvertors that on the tripod is just fine.

A very successful professional wedding photographer I know very well is using just 35 mm prime wedding after wedding, year after year. All other his lenses are collecting dust.

Mostly shooting sports I never use VR. Actually I never use VR, unless it is really low light

-- hide signature --

M.
Nice camera...now show me the pictures.

nafik's gear list:nafik's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
Ruekon Senior Member • Posts: 1,054

My 18-140 is sharp throughout the zoom range as reported by DXO. Nevertheless I do not use it anymore since I have the 16-80. Despite of sharpness, the latter regularly impresses me with great colors and contrast, whereas the former is comparably meh. Don't know if this is due to better glass, coating or the additional f-stop. But there is a remarkable difference.

Ruekon's gear list:Ruekon's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +4 more
CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 4,100

Graham Sp wrote:

For higher quality I have a Sigma 17-70C but on holiday I want a longer range zoom but still reasonably sharp (and want a metal mount).

I did buy a white box Nikon 18-140 a few years ago, it seemed to work OK on my Df but on my new D7500 it is soft at 18 and 50mm but sharp at 140mm.
On DXO it claims this is a good lens at all focal lenghts, but for me at the moment and on the ephotozine.com test shot at 18mm that does not appear to be true in the corners / short edges.

I have tried focus fine tune (it is about +5 now when set at 50mm) and limiting smallest aperture to F6.7 but I still do not like the 18mm and 50mm results much.

So shall I

a/ Buy another 18-140mm, in a gold box this time, as I have dropped my current 18-140mm once and hope the new one works more like the DXO review. Perhap Nikon have got better quality control over the years?

b/ Get a Sigma 18-200 C, they are cheap enough, it is an upto date design. As long as it is OK up to 105mm or 140mm I will be happy.

c/ Get a Nikon 18-200 Mk2, the DXO measurement data / graphs appear less good, but perhaps it takes sharp shots at 18mm and is well built?

or lastly

d/ Get a Nikon 18-300, the Mk2 (the F6.3 one) it seems to have good DXO data although it needs a fair bit of in camera distortion correction and has more tele than I need, it is a recent design.

Thank is advance Graham

I wanted more range so I went for the 18-300, which I've generally been very happy with. However, I'm a stickler for sharpness (especially at the 300mm end), and I was a bit dissatisfied with mine from about 225 to 300, and I complained to Nikon, who apparently agreed it could use a bit of adjustment. I sent it back to them and about a week later it was returned to me nice and sharp through the whole range. I don't really see much distortion or CA, if any. I'll add that 300mm is very useful and I like having it.  It's also a surprisingly compact, small and relatively lightweight lens.

CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G7 X II Nikon D700 Nikon D5600 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads