Eye Af Test FW 3.01 -- Not Happy and Not Working Well -- Is it me or.....

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
FastJimmy Regular Member • Posts: 228
Eye Af Test FW 3.01 -- Not Happy and Not Working Well -- Is it me or.....

did Sony bugger something up?

I blindly upgraded the FW in my 2 A7r3''s and then was disappointed.  Why? After reading Lloyd Chambers blog about Sony ruining its eye-AF for the A7r3 I just did a rough test and sadly, after duplicating a few times I cannot now trust them to do Eye-Af.  Here is one obvious result:

Eye-AF, Wide Area:

Eye-AF, Wide Area - (also occurs w/Flexible Spot)

Eye-Sf OFF -- Flexible spot focused directly on the eye:

Tomorrow I can try this on a few other lenses to further confirm but havr sny of you seen this behaviour?  Or is it just me?

Jim

FastJimmy's gear list:FastJimmy's gear list
Nikon D810 Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a7R III +1 more
WalterJ1959 Regular Member • Posts: 428
Re: Eye Af Test FW 3.01 -- Not Happy and Not Working Well -- Is it me or.....

I have had no problem with the upgrade.  Is face detect set to human or animal?  and turned on? is prefocus set to off?  Are you half pressing the shutter then taking the shot after you see the box on the eye? AF-C mode etc?

I usually use Zone and not wide so their is a difference between us.

WalterJ1959's gear list:WalterJ1959's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +3 more
OP FastJimmy Regular Member • Posts: 228

WalterJ1959 wrote:

I have had no problem with the upgrade. Is face detect set to human or animal? and turned on? is prefocus set to off? Are you half pressing the shutter then taking the shot after you see the box on the eye? AF-C mode etc?

I usually use Zone and not wide so their is a difference between us.

Human, and ON (miss-focus) First focus on eye then shutter pressed after box, and AF-S

Jim

FastJimmy wrote:

and AF-S

Jim

At 1/60 sec and AF-S you may be having both you and the subject moving after you lock focus.  I would suggest AF-C not AF-S

Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +3 more
NatureBX Regular Member • Posts: 188

Must set on AF-C for EyeAF to work well.

NatureBX's gear list:NatureBX's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +1 more

WalterJ1959 wrote:

FastJimmy wrote:

and AF-S

Jim

At 1/60 sec and AF-S you may be having both you and the subject moving after you lock focus. I would suggest AF-C not AF-S

I tested multiple times in Af-S making sure we were both stable.  No eye_AF and flexible spot is what you see and is reproducible.  AF-C is slightly better but this did not hsppen prior to 3..0.

I will test my A9 this afternoon.

Jim

NatureBX wrote:

It works a bit better but was flawless in AF-S prior to the upgrade.

Jim

FastJimmy wrote:

NatureBX wrote:

It works a bit better but was flawless in AF-S prior to the upgrade.

Check what your shutter speed and apature were was on the good shots and compare.

Jim

Is IBIS (steady shot) on? it should be at your settings. and shutter release for autofocus set to balanced emphasis?  after an upgrade you should review all critical focus settings.   I would feel better about tests at faster shutter speeds like 1/100 sec.

Good luck, it is tough when things that should work are not.

85mm f/1.8 Slightly better..

But still inconsistent and that is troubling:

AF-C:

Af_S:

Jim

lattesweden
lattesweden Senior Member • Posts: 2,922

Looks like the Batis 40/2 by Exif data? If so, which firmware on the lens?

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
42 Megapixels is the answer to life, the universe and everything.
Gone in 20 fps.
You don't have to like my pictures, but it would help: http://www.lattermann.com/gallery

lattesweden wrote:

Upgraded firmware.

lattesweden
lattesweden Senior Member • Posts: 2,922

FastJimmy wrote:

lattesweden wrote:

Upgraded firmware.

Ok, thanks!

I haven't seen any real world reports if that solved the earlier eye-af problems with that lens?

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
42 Megapixels is the answer to life, the universe and everything.
Gone in 20 fps.
You don't have to like my pictures, but it would help: http://www.lattermann.com/gallery

What about the A9?

My A9 w/FW 5.0 is consistently sharp.

Bob

Joohan
Joohan Contributing Member • Posts: 528
I rarely get sharp pics at that slow speed

Humans do move all the time and the ibis will only compensate your movements. Without flash you should be doing 400/1 at least. The high resolving sensors are really sensitive for very very small movements. Sometimes ibis in itself can create blurry images if not taken a series of them and then pick the sharp ones.

Joohan's gear list:Joohan's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic +7 more
Re: I rarely get sharp pics at that slow speed

Joohan wrote:

Humans do move all the time and the ibis will only compensate your movements. Without flash you should be doing 400/1 at least. The high resolving sensors are really sensitive for very very small movements. Sometimes ibis in itself can create blurry images if not taken a series of them and then pick the sharp ones.

I concur.

However, even though not completely scientific I chose not to use a tripod nor did I place the subject's head in a vise.    However I did stabilize my arm and hand..  and also made as sure as could be that my subject was as still as possible.  The fact I was able to get an extremely sharp result using AF-C proved to me that, even at the speeds used, that the combo of lens/cam can get a sharp result.

The whole issue is of some concern during events when it may not be convenient to take 10 or 15 photos of the same subject and choose the best.  Generally I use flash and bump up the aperture as high as 7.1.  That obviously allows a greater DOF but when I decide to shoot f/2 or lower there may be an issue.

Lastly as I stated in another post, the A7r3 w/FW 1.1 (yup, early) was uncanny at eye-AF.  Even my A7r2 was just as good...as well as my A9's.  The current FW, at least in my hands requires a workaround and can be dealt with.  Admittedly it may be just me, but I've been shooting for a very long time and have stayed with Sony because of great innovation and,, most importantly an eye-AF that makes my life a lot easier.  Sadly, it has just gotten a little harder.

Jim,

joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 5,341
a camera test with respect to any AF functionality with a 3rd party lens is pointless

Even with the OEM lenses sometimes compatibility issues kick in.

That's why I strictly buy AF lenses from the OEM. Only in case the AF functionality is less critical e.g. for landscape or architecture (where I MF anyway) I buy 3rd party glass.

For portraiture the GM 85 and GM 135 are my favorite lenses. Eye-AF works best with AF-C in these situations.

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +8 more
Re: a camera test with respect to any AF functionality with a 3rd party lens is pointless

joger wrote:

That's why I strictly buy AF lenses from the OEM. Only in case the AF functionality is less critical e.g. for landscape or architecture (where I MF anyway) I buy 3rd party glass.

For portraiture the GM 85 and GM 135 are my favorite lenses. Eye-AF works best with AF-C in these situations.

However Zeiss has a very close relationship with Sony, so much so, that it seems to use the same upgrade software for its Batis line.  This is in contrast to Sigma, Tamron, etc.

Additionally the "failure" in my hands is in stark contrast to the test I made in the camera store last week when I tested the Batis (older FW) with the same A7r3 with the older FW.  So I rthink it is not as pointless as you assert.

Jim

Alantkh Regular Member • Posts: 306

FastJimmy wrote:

did Sony bugger something up?

I blindly upgraded the FW in my 2 A7r3''s and then was disappointed. Why? After reading Lloyd Chambers blog about Sony ruining its eye-AF for the A7r3 I just did a rough test and sadly, after duplicating a few times I cannot now trust them to do Eye-Af. Here is one obvious result:

Eye-AF, Wide Area:

Eye-AF, Wide Area - (also occurs w/Flexible Spot)

Eye-Sf OFF -- Flexible spot focused directly on the eye:

Tomorrow I can try this on a few other lenses to further confirm but havr sny of you seen this behaviour? Or is it just me?

Jim

I think so too. The eye af in my a7riii seems to be more inaccurate with both my sigma 40mm f1.4 and 135mm gm....

not scientific testing but I noticed the hit rate dropped. In fact, I am thinking of switching the face/eye detect off and just use AFC flexible spot.

MILC man Senior Member • Posts: 3,164
Re: a camera test with respect to any AF functionality with a 3rd party lens is pointless

FastJimmy wrote:

joger wrote:

However Zeiss has a very close relationship with Sony, so much so, that it seems to use the same upgrade software for its Batis line. This is in contrast to Sigma, Tamron, etc.

Additionally the "failure" in my hands is in stark contrast to the test I made in the camera store last week when I tested the Batis (older FW) with the same A7r3 with the older FW. So I rthink it is not as pointless as you assert.

as others have indicated, the pics that you first posted were shot at 1/60th, which is too slow to eliminate the camera movement variable, and since you didn't post full-size shots, no one can tell where the focus plane was at.

maybe someone else with the same gear as yours will weigh in, but I would suggest trying another lens, to confirm or disprove that it's a firmware issue with the body.

voronspb Senior Member • Posts: 1,115

FastJimmy wrote:

However Zeiss has a very close relationship with Sony, so much so, that it seems to use the same upgrade software for its Batis line. This is in contrast to Sigma, Tamron, etc.

Not close enough, so it seems. In older Zony lenses only the optical unit supposedly had some relation to Zeiss, not MCU and firmware. Now Zeiss, Tamron and Sigma are seemingly in the same boat.

On phillipreeve.net website I saw a vague mention that not all AF problems with Batis 40 were solved in new FW. Also v.3 camera FW could have brought even more incompatibility.

All of above is pure speculation, of course.

P.S. IMHO 1/60 s is too slow for photos of people, unless they intentionally freeze before the camera. I prefer 1/125 s for normal shots and at least 1/250 s for moving people.

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov

voronspb's gear list:voronspb's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads