Is It capture the memory, or Photographic excellence?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
mick787 Regular Member • Posts: 350
Re: Is It capture the memory, or Photographic excellence?

What a good subject to chat about.

I have found that since becoming more interested with the final results of my photography, (about the last 6 years), my answer has to be that it is now leaning towards excellence.

I have been very lucky to be been able to visit some nice places in past years and I didn't really hold any thoughts towards going back to them because I had created memories, that was until the photography started to take hold. Now I want to go back to certain places because I know that the photographic memories I created all those years ago could now be much better and I want to see those places again in order to do so! But my circumstances don't allow that these days.

I guess that for as long as I continue to live and if my circumstances allow me to travel and my interest in photography continues, then I guess I will always want to go back to produce better and clearer memories. Could this be a vicious spiral which can only be broken by financial and personal circumstances, especially as the quality of equipment continues to improve?

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 43,479
Re: Not either/or issue

dkeller wrote:

That is a major change from the days of film. Now you can shoot for both and not be obsessed over getting the perfect shot every time. Save the memories AND the quality shots--delete the rest. I have a problem with the last part though!

Sad part is, unless you print on archival paper, all these images will be gone in a few years anyway.

My digital images go back 16 1/2 years, well over "a few years".

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
EvilOne
OP EvilOne Forum Pro • Posts: 14,511

Ive digitized many photos I took 50 and 60 years ago... I also have digitalized Old family photos that are over 100 years old.

EvilOne's gear list:EvilOne's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 990 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 +5 more
tbcass

EvilOne wrote:

I've digitized many photos I took 50 and 60 years ago... I also have digitized Old family photos that are over 100 years old.

I have done the same but the digitized versions are 8 years old. I digitized them in 2011.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
dkeller Senior Member • Posts: 1,354

I guess "a few" is relative. Just copied 13 of my mother's photo albums with many dating back over 70 years and a few passed on from her parents of even further. Those old B&W photos held up fairly well over the years. Except for archival prints, most digital work won't last that long and may even be very difficult to find anything to read. I've gone from 5" to 3" floppy, to ZIP, then to CD to DVD, to Hard Drives, and am backing with solid state drives. A great number of photos from the mid 20th century were on color paper and slides which have faded beyond normal restoration, as I've found out the hard way. Of course, we also have the question of "who would even be interested in this stuff?" with a very large percentage of our treasured photos. It can get depressing if we think about it too much!!!

dkeller's gear list:dkeller's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony a7 II Sony SLT-A68 Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +4 more
tbcass

dkeller wrote:

I guess "a few" is relative.

Yes but I suspect that to most people a few years means less than 5-10 years.

Just copied 13 of my mother's photo albums with many dating back over 70 years and a few passed on from her parents of even further. Those old B&W photos held up fairly well over the years. Except for archival prints, most digital work won't last that long and may even be very difficult to find anything to read. I've gone from 5" to 3" floppy, to ZIP, then to CD to DVD, to Hard Drives, and am backing with solid state drives. A great number of photos from the mid 20th century were on color paper and slides which have faded beyond normal restoration, as I've found out the hard way. Of course, we also have the question of "who would even be interested in this stuff?" with a very large percentage of our treasured photos. It can get depressing if we think about it too much!!!

I'm of the firm belief that because there are so many digital images, in the billions or even trillions for sure, that the ability to view them will last as long as there are people to view them. Just because new image formats and operating systems replace old ones doesn't mean programs capable of viewing older formats will not be available.

-- hide signature --

Tom

I wonder how many people who find a box of 5" floppy disks labeled photos would search out a place where they could actually download, look at, and/or save them in a newer format. It would be difficult to even find such a place, and, unless they really knew what was on the disks, unlikely they would bother.  On the hand, picking up an old photo album and looking is something most people would do.

There is also a matter of going through the massive number of photos saved on electronic media.  That is something that is driving me to try and cull my collection in much smaller, topical, groups which I'm putting on USB "Jump Drives"--a difficult task to stay with when you have terabytes of photos stored on multiple portable drives!!!!

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony a7 II Sony SLT-A68 Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +4 more
tbcass

dkeller wrote:

I wonder how many people who find a box of 5" floppy disks labeled photos would search out a place where they could actually download, look at, and/or save them in a newer format.

That's the fault of the user not the format. How many people have discarded or lost their old photographs? My grandmother had a lot of old family photographs that are now long gone.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Of course you can lose anything, but if you find a 100 year old photo album you can look at them.  As technology advances it becomes more and more difficult to look at the images stored on old technologies, that was just an example.  We actually saw the same thing with the technology of color printing and the fading of those images.

Imagine the plight of an archeologist 1000 years from now trying to study our current civilization after a major collapse.  We can still read documents for thousands of years ago written on clay tablets or even ancient scrolls.  Our digital and even much of our paper records are much more vulnerable.  I know it's a stretch--but it is a consideration.  I just cleaned house and threw out a massive number of these old disks.  At least I knew I didn't need what was on them or had transferred the stuff I wanted to newer formats.  Grandkids digging going through my stuff after I'm gone wouldn't have a clue.

EvilOne
OP EvilOne Forum Pro • Posts: 14,511

I am happy this thread has evoked some good conversation.. I have lots of black and white Photos from 1890 of relatives from Italy.. those photos are in the possession of my older brother. and those photos are surprisingly well preserved.. All of those photos are on some sort of mat paper, its seems much thicker than anything Ive seen  that I could purchase. Most of those old country photos look like studio prints. Not too sure photography was a well established hobby.

EvilOne's gear list:EvilOne's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 990 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads