Help me pick a laptop spec?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
noneoftheabove Forum Member • Posts: 85
Help me pick a laptop spec?

Hi.  I have a MS Surface Pro 2 i5 4gb that i'm finding is no longer suitable for what I need.  In particular, its struggling with 24gb raw files from my Canon m50.

I think I have narrowed my preferences down to the Dell Inspiron 14 5000-series 2-in-1 for the best balance of price and features (its has lots of sockets and the insides are accessible).  However, I'm unsure what specs would be best for photo processing in terms of processor (i5 vs i7) compared to the benefit of an Nvidia graphics card instead of Intel HD built in.  Other specs would probably be 8gb (it can be expanded later to 16gb.  I would love a fancy top-spec machine, but I have a budget of ~£6-700.

Can anyone suggest what the best balance of specs may be most suitable for photo processing?

Thanks in advance.

noneoftheabove's gear list:noneoftheabove's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 13,526
Re: Help me pick a laptop spec?

What software? Some applications make use of the CPU primarily, others put the GPU to good use. For me, 14" is too small for photo editing, unless you use an external monitor, so I don't follow those models, though other PC Talk participants do. A used laptop might be best. I surmise your Surface 2 is unsuitable due to insufficient memory. I never had any problems editing still photos with Intel HD 620, but it could not play videos without dropping frames.

noneoftheabove wrote:

Hi. I have a MS Surface Pro 2 i5 4gb that i'm finding is no longer suitable for what I need. In particular, its struggling with 24gb raw files from my Canon m50.

I think I have narrowed my preferences down to the Dell Inspiron 14 5000-series 2-in-1 for the best balance of price and features (its has lots of sockets and the insides are accessible). However, I'm unsure what specs would be best for photo processing in terms of processor (i5 vs i7) compared to the benefit of an Nvidia graphics card instead of Intel HD built in. Other specs would probably be 8gb (it can be expanded later to 16gb. I would love a fancy top-spec machine, but I have a budget of ~£6-700.

Can anyone suggest what the best balance of specs may be most suitable for photo processing? Thanks in advance.

OP noneoftheabove Forum Member • Posts: 85

CAcreeks wrote:

What software? Some applications make use of the CPU primarily, others put the GPU to good use. For me, 14" is too small for photo editing, unless you use an external monitor, so I don't follow those models, though other PC Talk participants do. A used laptop might be best. I surmise your Surface 2 is unsuitable due to insufficient memory. I never had any problems editing still photos with Intel HD 620, but it could not play videos without dropping frames.

noneoftheabove wrote:

Hi. I have a MS Surface Pro 2 i5 4gb that i'm finding is no longer suitable for what I need. In particular, its struggling with 24gb raw files from my Canon m50.

I think I have narrowed my preferences down to the Dell Inspiron 14 5000-series 2-in-1 for the best balance of price and features (its has lots of sockets and the insides are accessible). However, I'm unsure what specs would be best for photo processing in terms of processor (i5 vs i7) compared to the benefit of an Nvidia graphics card instead of Intel HD built in. Other specs would probably be 8gb (it can be expanded later to 16gb. I would love a fancy top-spec machine, but I have a budget of ~£6-700.

Can anyone suggest what the best balance of specs may be most suitable for photo processing? Thanks in advance.

Windows 10 running Canon DP Pro.  The choice of size is another tradeoff between price, portability and other casual uses, although I am used to usingsmaller screens.

Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
CBR1100XX Contributing Member • Posts: 949

noneoftheabove wrote:

Can anyone suggest what the best balance of specs may be most suitable for photo processing?

Thanks in advance.

I'm only finding the NVIDIA card in the regular 14" not the 2 in 1 Dell 14 5000 series laptops.

Is it the MX150 for the NVIDIA card?  If so it's about twice as fast as the integrated graphics and has 2GB of on board DDR5 which could help some things but it's not fast enough to make a huge difference.

For the processor it's not so clear cut...

The i7 is about 10% faster than the i5 but they can run the chips at different power levels so that comes into play.

Also there's the thermal limits which have some i5 machines of that class running faster than i7's that quickly thermal throttle.

So I'd assume at most it's a small bump in terms of CPU though if you plan to run large imports or exports I'd look into how these computers do under sustained load.

And I'd definitely go up to 16 GB ASAP the only other advice is to get a SSD not one of the HD/Optane combos.

CAcreeks

noneoftheabove wrote:

Windows 10 running Canon DP Pro. The choice of size is another tradeoff between price, portability and other casual uses, although I am used to usingsmaller screens.

Canon suggests a discrete GPU, with CUDA support, for DPP. Forums seem to indicate that this improves display speed but not so much Raw conversion speed.

Unfortunately a discrete GPU raises the price by at least £100.

My suggestion is to run Task Manager when you are editing a photo and see if 4GB is all used. Forums indicate that 8GB is needed, and probably more important than GPU.

woodyggg Contributing Member • Posts: 884
Links

noneoftheabove wrote:

Can anyone suggest what the best balance of specs may be most suitable for photo processing?

Thanks in advance.

Read this as well...

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Photoshop-CC-139/Hardware-Recommendations

Also, read this

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Inspiron-14-5000-5482-2-in-1-i7-8565U-Convertible-Review.374211.0.html

I'd be concerned about the srgb coverage.

woodyggg's gear list:woodyggg's gear list
Sony a7R III Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +5 more
jwaif Regular Member • Posts: 477

I picked up an Inspiron 14 2-1 5000 (5482) in late March with the 32GB Intel Octane and 1TB HD. A few days later the May 2019 Windows 10 update version 1903 was announced with the minimum storage requirement of 32GB. Wait to read reports of how Windows 10 systems with the Intel Octane perform after the 1903 update being released May 21.

My use of the laptop is mainly word processing, email, web browsing and entertainment, but Lightroom will be used occasionally.

John

CAcreeks

jwaif wrote:

Wait to read reports of how Windows 10 systems with the Intel Octane perform after the 1903 update being released May 21.

You mean "wait" in the imperative form?

On Linux you could run Optane + HDD with Intel gen7 CPU and kernel 4.15 or later. Read performance is excellent but write performance is worse than regular SSD.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-optane-16gb&num=2

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 15,566

CBR1100XX wrote:

For the processor it's not so clear cut...

The i7 is about 10% faster than the i5 but they can run the chips at different power levels so that comes into play.

The i5-8265U and i7-8565U are both mobile, 4-core, 15W TDP CPUs with support for hyperthreading.

Intel – Comparison Tool – Core i5-8265U and Core i7-8565U

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 15,566

noneoftheabove wrote:

This seems way off.  Did you mean 24 MB?

If the files really are 24 GB each, no wonder a machine with 4 GB of RAM struggles with them …

CAcreeks

Tom_N wrote:

noneoftheabove wrote:

This seems way off. Did you mean 24 MB?

If the files really are 24 GB each, no wonder a machine with 4 GB of RAM struggles with them …

Good catch!

I saw 24 and assumed it was Mp (megapixels) because I know the M50 is a 24Mp camera.

The M50 Raw images here on Dpreview range from 25MB to 35MB. I guess Canon's CR2 or CR3 has variable size based on compression success.

Tom_N wrote:

noneoftheabove wrote:

This seems way off. Did you mean 24 MB?

Ah, crikey, yes; MB not GB!

I changed up from a camera taking 10-12MB raw images, which were slow to handle and fairly slow to batch process, but 24MB raw are barely manageable

skyglider Veteran Member • Posts: 5,048

noneoftheabove wrote:

After buying my Acer Spin3 laptop, one thing that I wish was different is that the headphone jack was on the left side instead of in the middle of the right side, to make it easier to use a mouse.  (I'm right handed)

The earbuds that I use while traveling has a right-angle plug and so the cable is sort of out of the way, but I still wish the headphone jack was on the left side of the laptop.

The external power jack on the Spin-3 laptop is on the right side but it is way back close to the screen so is of no consequence.

When I look for my next laptop, I'll try to buy one with the headphone jack on the left side, everything else being about the same between the laptops I'm interested in. Also that there are sufficient USB3 jacks on the left side so flash drives won't be in the way of using a mouse for right handed folks.

So my suggestion is to pay attention to the jack locations if that might be a concern to you.

Sky

skyglider wrote:

So my suggestion is to pay attention to the jack locations if that might be a concern to you.

Sky

Thanks for this - I am trying to think beyond specs a bit, since 'modern' technology is generally astonishing and there are few subjectively 'bad' machines, so assuming I can afford the right balance of processor/memory/etc, I'm finding this type of usability issue is a potentially really important factor in choosing something I enjoy using.

Austinian
Austinian Veteran Member • Posts: 8,282

noneoftheabove wrote:

skyglider wrote:

Sky

Thanks for this - I am trying to think beyond specs a bit, since 'modern' technology is generally astonishing and there are few subjectively 'bad' machines, so assuming I can afford the right balance of processor/memory/etc, I'm finding this type of usability issue is a potentially really important factor in choosing something I enjoy using.

I agree. 'User interface' can matter a great deal when it comes to long-term satisfaction with a device.

Sometimes it seems like we have a situation of "overchoice" when we look at the huge number of different laptops offered, many with similar performance.

But when an experienced user looks at details like keyboard and touchpad quality, port arrangement, display quality, etc. the number of really good PC candidates falls rapidly.

At least, that's what I've found when laptop shopping.

Good thing we have so many models to choose from!

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Sony FE 28mm F2 Samyang 135mm F2.0 +3 more
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 15,451

I don't know all the tradeoffs with todays technology, but I can tell you what I got for about $800 at Fry's Electronics in January.

Dell 5570, with two drives and 12GB RAM.  15 inch 2K IPS display.  DVD burner.

There is a 128GB SSD boot drive.  A bit small, but it's working fine.  I would not get another PC without an SSD boot drive.   256GB would be better.

There is a 1TB HDD d: drive.   I've redirected at least some of the windows default folders there.

12GB RAM is used for video as well as programs.  It seems perfectly adequate.  I've never felt short on RAM.

I put Lightroom Classic on it and calibrated the display with Spyder5 and DisplayCAL software.   I use it to post-process Nikon D850 images while traveling.

I really like a 2k monitor.  I really like a SSD boot drive.   8GB of RAM is probably fine.  ( Make sure you can add to it later).

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
johnnyandedgar Forum Member • Posts: 53

I use a gaming notebook at our cabin with a quad core i7, 16 gigs ram, ssd, and a 4 gig gtx 950 gpu.

johnnyandedgar

johnnyandedgar's gear list:johnnyandedgar's gear list
Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads