Sever Storm Photography

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Morris0
Morris0 Senior Member • Posts: 8,960
Re: Sever Storm Photography

Many may not appreciate the first.  All will the second.  Excellent work.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +12 more
Morris0

colordoppler wrote:

These are marvelous!

Morris

Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +12 more
Morris0
Re: One of mine

fotomotovfr wrote:

Never get to share this so hope you don't mind if I tack it on here. This cell was rotating slowly but never touched down while I was there. Buckets of rain and high winds came within seconds of this shot.

Now that is scary!

Morris

jrk
jrk Senior Member • Posts: 2,680

Holy crap!  First time out with a Fuji camera and you get pictures like these!  Do I feel totally inadequate...

-- hide signature --

We all have wings
Some of us don't know why
-INXS-

jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EOS 70D Fujifilm X-T3 +12 more
OP colordoppler Regular Member • Posts: 112

Awesome!

colordoppler's gear list:colordoppler's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T3 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Re: Credit where credit is due...

Thank you

Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T3 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
graytrekker
graytrekker Regular Member • Posts: 451

wow!

is that a school?

graytrekker's gear list:graytrekker's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon Df Sony a7R II Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +9 more
fotomotovfr Regular Member • Posts: 462

graytrekker wrote:

wow!

is that a school?

Yes but it was a Sunday so no one there luckily.

fotomotovfr's gear list:fotomotovfr's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1s Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS R Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Anthony Alongi Regular Member • Posts: 383

Superb!  I would say that "severe" might not quite be strong enough to describe the tornado pic, however.

Bravo!!

-- hide signature --

Tony A.

Anthony Alongi's gear list:Anthony Alongi's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD
graytrekker

THAT could have been scary - thx

Meetmer
Meetmer Contributing Member • Posts: 609
Re: Credit where credit is due...

colordoppler wrote:

Thank you

Let me say that if the purpose of a photo is to evoke an emotional response from the person looking at it, then what I felt when looking at that tornado was "Holy Crap!"

Great Job, truly.

Doug

Meetmer's gear list:Meetmer's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
jcharding Senior Member • Posts: 2,467

Getting there is part of the photographer's job.  One we tend to overlook, particularly in these forums.

-- hide signature --
 jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
graytrekker

From what I have seen on the news - there is a lot more of that coming the next couple of days!!

lewiedude2
lewiedude2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,222

graytrekker wrote:

Awesome shots

Why us there a white glow around the tree on the right in the second photo. Is this some artifact of processing or was it really like that?

Nice compositions to the OP. But, I am wondering what post processing your performed on the tornado image. The one with the glow around the tee. I see lots of water color effect and some trance artifacts next to the telephone pole. Love the image, just want to see what was done. And I am not trying to take anything away from that particular shot

Keep up the great work and happy storm hunting!

lewiedude2's gear list:lewiedude2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR

Not as photogenic but multi vortex wedge near Magnum, Oklahoma about 3 hours ago.  The two vortices you see are sub vortices everything you see in the background is the tornado.  It was epic.

Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 37,577

Good photos of natural drama, it doesn't get better than that!

Kudos!

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
http://www.bobtullis.com

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a7R II Fujifilm X100F Sony RX1R II +1 more
Wezre Regular Member • Posts: 134

colordoppler wrote:

First time with a Fuji on my annual pilgrimage to the Great Plains.

Shelf cloud near Woodward, Oklahoma Fuji XT-3 XF 18-55

Fuji XT-3 XF 55-200

I really like the composition on both of these, but I think that there's room for improvement both when you took the photos and in the processing.  The focus seems to be off on the first one (it looks like the focus distance may have been at too close of a distance setting, even closer than the tire tracks in the foreground).  In the second one it seems like you were a bit heavy-handed with something you did in post that's resulting in some halos and watercolor effect.  Are these from RAW or JPEGs? Can you share some details on what you did to process them?  The only other thing I can think of that would cause some of this is if the lens stabilization was malfunctioning.

Wezre's gear list:Wezre's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
graytrekker

YIKES!!

Thanks for your input.  That is not a halo though, that is the demarcation between clear air and a rain curtain.

Wezre Regular Member • Posts: 134

colordoppler wrote:

Thanks for your input. That is not a halo though, that is the demarcation between clear air and a rain curtain.

I didn't mean the bright area of sky, I meant that there are some artifacts along the edges of objects (such as leaves and tree branches, the traffic sign, the legs of the people standing in the road, etc).  I truly would like to know what you did for post processing so that we can help you improve your images, since I think the compositions are quite good.

Wezre's gear list:Wezre's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads