Sever Storm Photography

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
colordoppler Regular Member • Posts: 112
Sever Storm Photography

First time with a Fuji on my annual pilgrimage to the Great Plains.

Shelf cloud near Woodward, Oklahoma Fuji XT-3 XF 18-55

Fuji XT-3 XF 55-200

colordoppler's gear list:colordoppler's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +12 more
BlueJakester
BlueJakester Senior Member • Posts: 2,811
Re: Sever Storm Photography

Excellent!

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Mo Kwart
Mo Kwart Senior Member • Posts: 1,199

Wow! Not knowing anything about these storms, I imagine that it's a bit like photographing in the lion's den. Wonderful photographs.

Do you have more shots like these? Would love to see the tornado with the horizon and without the electric poles as a pure landscape in addition to the documentary with the road and people.

I would really like to hear about your experience being out there, the quiet or the roar, the level of danger, time of day...

Mo Kwart's gear list:Mo Kwart's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +4 more
graytrekker
graytrekker Regular Member • Posts: 444

Awesome shots

Why us there a white glow around the tree on the right in the second photo.  Is this some artifact of processing or was it really like that?

graytrekker's gear list:graytrekker's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon Df Sony a7R II Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +7 more
OP colordoppler Regular Member • Posts: 112

It is really like that.  The sun is to the left. The dynamic range in the photographs is always a challenge.

Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +12 more
graytrekker
graytrekker Regular Member • Posts: 444

thx

I imagine when the storm clouds move in there can be some strange lighting

graytrekker's gear list:graytrekker's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon Df Sony a7R II Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +7 more

These are very dynamic situations.  With tornadoes it is very difficult to pay intense attention to composition.  It is actually pretty safe if you know what you are doing.  The biggest danger is from other people on the road and lightning.  With supercell thunderstorms you have more time to devote to composition.

Xena777
Xena777 Forum Member • Posts: 78

Just looking at the image I feel my legs starting to shake :))

TRIODEROB Veteran Member • Posts: 3,125

nice tornadic supercell images !

also like the wall cloud image

did you  check the nexrad images for hook formations - or did you just get lucky ?

I assume you parked yourself in the south west of the storms ?

It was a marginal setup but the last 3 runs of the HRRR (high resolution rapid refresh model) persistently showed the formation of a supercell in the vicinity.  We used Radarscope to identify the cell.  It became a cyclic supercell and dropped tornadoes from the Oklahoma panhandle through south central Kansas.

crosson
crosson Regular Member • Posts: 324

Sheesh. Great shots.

crosson's gear list:crosson's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +1 more

Hard not to.  It is not the photographer it is just a great subject.

biza43 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,921

Good ones.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more
Meetmer
Meetmer Contributing Member • Posts: 557

Mo Kwart wrote:

Wow! Not knowing anything about these storms, I imagine that it's a bit like photographing in the lion's den. Wonderful photographs.

Do you have more shots like these? Would love to see the tornado with the horizon and without the electric poles as a pure landscape in addition to the documentary with the road and people.

I would really like to hear about your experience being out there, the quiet or the roar, the level of danger, time of day...

You know I actually like the telephone poles in there. Not only do they add a sense of realism to the shot but they make me think of images of telephone poles being ripped apart by the tornado. Also , I like the vertical lines and seeing the vertical line of the tornado interposed.

Meetmer's gear list:Meetmer's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
NextShowForSure Contributing Member • Posts: 511

Meetmer wrote:

Mo Kwart wrote:

You know I actually like the telephone poles in there. Not only do they add a sense of realism to the shot but they make me think of images of telephone poles being ripped apart by the tornado. Also , I like the vertical lines and seeing the vertical line of the tornado interposed.

You may like this but the pole would probably need to be half a mile high and made out of balsa wood to be ripped apart. I was pretty excited though.

Who says life is not just as exciting in the East of England. The camera only cost £200 brand new from an authorised store and a long zoom was needed so viewer discretion is advised on 100% viewing.

NextShowForSure's gear list:NextShowForSure's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough 3000 Canon PowerShot D30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Fujifilm X-A3 +6 more
Meetmer
Meetmer Contributing Member • Posts: 557

NextShowForSure wrote:

Meetmer wrote:

Mo Kwart wrote:

You may like this but the pole would probably need to be half a mile high and made out of balsa wood to be ripped apart. I was pretty excited though.

Who says life is not just as exciting in the East of England. The camera only cost £200 brand new from an authorised store and a long zoom was needed so viewer discretion is advised on 100% viewing.

That’s why there’s an expression, “ let the imagination wander”

Meetmer's gear list:Meetmer's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
fotomotovfr Regular Member • Posts: 462
One of mine

Never get to share this so hope you don't mind if I tack it on here.  This cell was rotating slowly but never touched down while I was there.  Buckets of rain and high winds came within seconds of this shot.

fotomotovfr's gear list:fotomotovfr's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1s Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS R
NextShowForSure Contributing Member • Posts: 511
Re: One of mine

fotomotovfr wrote:

Never get to share this so hope you don't mind if I tack it on here. This cell was rotating slowly but never touched down while I was there. Buckets of rain and high winds came within seconds of this shot.

More menacing in a strange way than the shots of the cones touching ground in some ways. Amazing shot. It must be terrifying looking up at something like that.

NextShowForSure's gear list:NextShowForSure's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough 3000 Canon PowerShot D30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Fujifilm X-A3 +6 more
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 13,390
Credit where credit is due...

colordoppler wrote:

Hard not to. It is not the photographer it is just a great subject.

Not true and let me suggest that you take credit where credit is due.  There are a million ways to shoot that sort of a scene.  Composition, processing, as well as other factors all have a major effect on the impact of a shot like that.  Excellent on all counts.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads