Printer recommendations for Fuji jpegs?

Started 6 months ago | Questions
Lettermanian
Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,386
Printer recommendations for Fuji jpegs?

So I realize a question like this might seem ludicrous or even downright blasphemous to some Post-Processing and Printing Purists , but I am wondering if anyone has any specific brand/model recommendations for occasional photo printing on a consumer-level All-in-one printer. Our older 2-cartridge Canon inkjet is starting to have issues, and  I don't think I want to spend another $70 on new ink for it when that money might be better spent on a newer printer with better photo-printing ability.

The printer will mainly be used for regular b+w and colour document printing, but once in a while I'd like to print some of my photos as well. I usually shoot jpeg (Film Sim bracketing) and give the files minor adjustments in Faststone; no printer/monitor calibrations for me. Basically I'm looking for an All-in-one inkjet that can reproduce as closely as possible the tones and colours I enjoy so much in Fuji's film sims. Any input is appreciated.

-- hide signature --

"Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in your ways." - Psalm 119:37

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T100 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
David Mintzer Contributing Member • Posts: 747
Re: Printer recommendations for Fuji jpegs?

Lettermanian wrote:

So I realize a question like this might seem ludicrous or even downright blasphemous to some Post-Processing and Printing Purists , but I am wondering if anyone has any specific brand/model recommendations for occasional photo printing on a consumer-level All-in-one printer. Our older 2-cartridge Canon inkjet is starting to have issues, and I don't think I want to spend another $70 on new ink for it when that money might be better spent on a newer printer with better photo-printing ability.

The printer will mainly be used for regular b+w and colour document printing, but once in a while I'd like to print some of my photos as well. I usually shoot jpeg (Film Sim bracketing) and give the files minor adjustments in Faststone; no printer/monitor calibrations for me. Basically I'm looking for an All-in-one inkjet that can reproduce as closely as possible the tones and colours I enjoy so much in Fuji's film sims. Any input is appreciated.

Be helpful if you could give a sense of what you budget is.

David Mintzer's gear list:David Mintzer's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Leica Q Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +4 more
lewiedude2
lewiedude2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,552

I would highly suggest you hit up the printing forum here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1003

Good luck!

lewiedude2's gear list:lewiedude2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
Lettermanian
OP Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,386

David Mintzer wrote:

Lettermanian wrote:

So I realize a question like this might seem ludicrous or even downright blasphemous to some Post-Processing and Printing Purists , but I am wondering if anyone has any specific brand/model recommendations for occasional photo printing on a consumer-level All-in-one printer. Our older 2-cartridge Canon inkjet is starting to have issues, and I don't think I want to spend another $70 on new ink for it when that money might be better spent on a newer printer with better photo-printing ability.

The printer will mainly be used for regular b+w and colour document printing, but once in a while I'd like to print some of my photos as well. I usually shoot jpeg (Film Sim bracketing) and give the files minor adjustments in Faststone; no printer/monitor calibrations for me. Basically I'm looking for an All-in-one inkjet that can reproduce as closely as possible the tones and colours I enjoy so much in Fuji's film sims. Any input is appreciated.

Be helpful if you could give a sense of what you budget is.

Printers seem to be quite cheap these days, so I'd say anywhere in the $100-$300 range (CDN). Canon, Epson and Brother printers are easily found in stores where I live, and I can easily find their specs etc, but I was hoping that someone with personal experience with printing from Fuji files could weigh in on which brand/printer is working well for them.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T100 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
Lettermanian

lewiedude2 wrote:

Good luck!

I probably will post there too, but I was kind of hoping for recommendations from Fuji users. I love those film sims, so if there is a printer brand/model that a Fuji user is happy with, I'd be more interested in their opinion than in general printing opinions.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 14,326

I personally use a Canon Pro-100, which I bought for a song when it was on sale a while back.  It prints up to 13x19" (A3+) with outstanding quality.  I have a decent number of prints framed around the house and I believe the print quality is every bit as good as the larger prints I have had done professionally.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 13,447

Lettermanian wrote:

lewiedude2 wrote:

Good luck!

I probably will post there too, but I was kind of hoping for recommendations from Fuji users. I love those film sims, so if there is a printer brand/model that a Fuji user is happy with, I'd be more interested in their opinion than in general printing opinions.

I understand why you might say that, but I think that is the wrong way to look at it.

Once you have gone through the post-processing process on your computer it really makes no difference at all whether you are printing Fuji, Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. images.  At that point color reproduction is color reproduction.  A printer that can't print Fuji files well is not going to print any other brand camera files well either, and vice versa.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon D7200 +30 more
Lettermanian

Jerry-astro wrote:

I personally use a Canon Pro-100, which I bought for a song when it was on sale a while back. It prints up to 13x19" (A3+) with outstanding quality. I have a decent number of prints framed around the house and I believe the print quality is every bit as good as the larger prints I have had done professionally.

Yes I'm familiar with that one and have considered it several times. It often goes on sale for $199 CDN which is a great price for a photo-centric printer of that quality. However,  I've hesitated on it because of its size (not ideal for where I need it to go) and because the primary use of any printer we get will still be for regular documents. We still need a printer that can scan and print two sides etc, so an all-in-one with good photo printing would probably suit me better.

-- hide signature --

Dr88man Regular Member • Posts: 137

Jerry-astro wrote:

I personally use a Canon Pro-100, which I bought for a song when it was on sale a while back. It prints up to 13x19" (A3+) with outstanding quality. I have a decent number of prints framed around the house and I believe the print quality is every bit as good as the larger prints I have had done professionally.

+1. I agree with Jerry, the Pro-100 yields excellent prints.

Dr88man's gear list:Dr88man's gear list
Nikon D810 Canon EOS 5D Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Jerry-astro

Lettermanian wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

Yes I'm familiar with that one and have considered it several times. It often goes on sale for $199 CDN which is a great price for a photo-centric printer of that quality. However, I've hesitated on it because of its size (not ideal for where I need it to go) and because the primary use of any printer we get will still be for regular documents. We still need a printer that can scan and print two sides etc, so an all-in-one with good photo printing would probably suit me better.

Makes sense. I use an HP laser printer for most of my other non-image printing and the Pro-100 exclusively for doing photo prints... mostly 13x19". Fortunately, we have enough room in our den for both and since I really don't print all that much, the Canon spends a lot of time "resting." The price at the time was so crazy cheap, I couldn't resist picking one up and the print quality really is superb. Of course (as always) the inks are quite expensive, but given the limited amount of printing I do, it's pretty affordable, at least for me.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
JNR
JNR Veteran Member • Posts: 3,710

Dr88man wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

+1. I agree with Jerry, the Pro-100 yields excellent prints.

Yes, if you have room for that printer... it is the best choice for occasional printing needs because you don't have the clogging issues related to pigment ink printers - and the fade resistance (using Canon ink and paper) is still very good.

You might be best off exploring the "Printers and Printing" forum, but beware most of those folks tend to be bulk printers who are devoted to either pigment printing or low-cost third party dye printing.

As for the Pro-100, it tends to cycle on and off every couple months from full price to deeply discounted and including a boatload of paper... best to wait if not deeply discounted currently. Ink costs for this printer are considerably lower than the inexpensive all-in-ones due to the relatively larger size of the cartridges and somewhat less ink loss related to priming (necessary for occasional users).

-- hide signature --

JNR

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Phase One Capture One Pro Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +20 more
Mike Carroccio
Mike Carroccio Contributing Member • Posts: 586

I Have a Canon Pro-100 (8 ink) with a Canon MG7520 (6 ink) setting on top of it. the Pro-100 IS NOT a good general pour-is printer! The small (cheap) MG7520 does a great job with photos. I frequently use it for a quick 4X6 or larger and the results are very good. I always print from inside Lightroom. If looking for anew all-in-one printer today, I'd likely choose the Canon TS9120, unless you need an auto document feeder on top. Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Michael Carroccio
San Antonio, TX USA
http://michaelcarrocciophoto.us

Mike Carroccio's gear list:Mike Carroccio's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
JNR

Lettermanian wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

Yes I'm familiar with that one and have considered it several times. It often goes on sale for $199 CDN which is a great price for a photo-centric printer of that quality. However, I've hesitated on it because of its size (not ideal for where I need it to go) and because the primary use of any printer we get will still be for regular documents. We still need a printer that can scan and print two sides etc, so an all-in-one with good photo printing would probably suit me better.

I have the luxury of using a Brother mono laser for regular printing needs, with the Pro-100 stacked above it. If there is any way you can configure stacking above your desk - I find it a great solution. (I also have a flatbed scanner... so lots of real estate taken up.)

You're probably right that the Pro-100 isn't a good solution for all printing - unless your need for mono letter printing is pretty low volume. There are some very good ultra-portable scanners now - unlike several years ago when their quality wasn't up to snuff.

-- hide signature --

JNR

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Phase One Capture One Pro Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +20 more
Meetmer
Meetmer Contributing Member • Posts: 658

Jerry-astro wrote:

How do you think that compares to the Canon PIXMA pro 9000? I have that printer sitting downstairs I’ve had it for maybe eight years I have not used it in a few years I would have to buy new ink versus just buying a newer printer and buying ink.   It used to Print great pictures but with time comes newer development of technology so I really don’t know what the difference would be between that one and a new printer

Meetmer's gear list:Meetmer's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
Lettermanian

Mike Carroccio wrote:

I Have a Canon Pro-100 (8 ink) with a Canon MG7520 (6 ink) setting on top of it. the Pro-100 IS NOT a good general pour-is printer! The small (cheap) MG7520 does a great job with photos. I frequently use it for a quick 4X6 or larger and the results are very good. I always print from inside Lightroom. If looking for anew all-in-one printer today, I'd likely choose the Canon TS9120, unless you need an auto document feeder on top. Good luck.

Thanks for this, I am looking at reviews for the TS9120 (now replaced by the TS8220), and think either one of those might be what I'm looking for...

-- hide signature --

Jerry-astro

Meetmer wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

How do you think that compares to the Canon PIXMA pro 9000? I have that printer sitting downstairs I’ve had it for maybe eight years I have not used it in a few years I would have to buy new ink versus just buying a newer printer and buying ink. It used to Print great pictures but with time comes newer development of technology so I really don’t know what the difference would be between that one and a new printer

You’ll probably need to get an answer to your question from someone who owns or has experience with both printers.  I strictly use the Pro-100 for photo printing, which for me, is a very occasional thing and in fact, I only purchased it because there was an almost ridiculous sale going on at the time and the printer was extremely inexpensive.  The cartridges aren’t cheap, but for prints up to the size I listed above, I’ve found it to be quite useful and the quality is simply excellent, as I mentioned in my OP.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

JNR

Jerry-astro wrote:

Meetmer wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

How do you think that compares to the Canon PIXMA pro 9000? I have that printer sitting downstairs I’ve had it for maybe eight years I have not used it in a few years I would have to buy new ink versus just buying a newer printer and buying ink. It used to Print great pictures but with time comes newer development of technology so I really don’t know what the difference would be between that one and a new printer

You’ll probably need to get an answer to your question from someone who owns or has experience with both printers. I strictly use the Pro-100 for photo printing, which for me, is a very occasional thing and in fact, I only purchased it because there was an almost ridiculous sale going on at the time and the printer was extremely inexpensive. The cartridges aren’t cheap, but for prints up to the size I listed above, I’ve found it to be quite useful and the quality is simply excellent, as I mentioned in my OP.

I don't have the Pro 9000, but I'm aware of a good friend who has used it for years - and I evaluated the differences at the time of purchase. They will yield very similar prints, and perform very similarly. The chief difference is in the improvement in fade resistance. Though the 9000 is good for this compared to other dye printers, it has a failing with yellow ink (not at all uncommon) that has been successfully addressed in the "+" ink set of the Pro-100. The corresponding improvement claimed by Canon and is verified by independent testing - Aardenburg Imaging.

-- hide signature --

JNR

Jerry-astro

JNR wrote:

I don't have the Pro 9000, but I'm aware of a good friend who has used it for years - and I evaluated the differences at the time of purchase. They will yield very similar prints, and perform very similarly. The chief difference is in the improvement in fade resistance. Though the 9000 is good for this compared to other dye printers, it has a failing with yellow ink (not at all uncommon) that has been successfully addressed in the "+" ink set of the Pro-100. The corresponding improvement claimed by Canon and is verified by independent testing - Aardenburg Imaging.

Very good to know.  Thank much for sharing that.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Meetmer
Meetmer Contributing Member • Posts: 658

Jerry-astro wrote:

JNR wrote:

Very good to know. Thank much for sharing that.

Yes thank you.  I googled a picture of the pro-100 and it looks remarkably similar to the printer I have, the  Pixma pro-9000 mark II, which as I mentioned is about 9 years old at this point.  That being said, it looks like the pro-100 came out several years ago also, so there may not be a big technological difference between the two, save the difference in fade as was discussed.  Also, I have used archival paper with that printer which they say has a life of something like at least a hundred years.  Long and short of it is I will likely be dead before any of the pictures fade.   Now this is incentivizing me to but some ink cartridges and resurrect that pro 9000.   I might want to print out a few and have some pictures mounted on aluminum behind acrylic glass. It's pricey but they look oh so good.  They had a photo display at the crate and barrel near me and I was very impressed.

Doug

Meetmer's gear list:Meetmer's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
Charles2
Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,919

Take a look at Epson's Workforce series of printers. Four inks, probably about the best quality you'll achieve apart from a single-purpose photo-dedicated printer.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads