Z6 unresponsive

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Styadp New Member • Posts: 9
Z6 unresponsive
1

After the recent 2.0 update on my Z6, the camera suddenly stops responding when I try to press the shutter button sometimes. Camera becomes unresponsive for everything and the content on the screen appears to be in slo-mo. Strange things is it won't turn off when I turn off the camera. This happens for around 5-6 seconds randomly. When I keep pressing the shutter button, it says something like to press the shutter release button to release something.. (I didn't pay much attention when this happened for around 4 times as I was in a photoshoot and was panicking)

What could have caused the issue?

I was using Tamron 14-35 f2.8g2 with FTZ adapter when this happened.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080
Re: Z6 unresponsive

Styadp wrote:

After the recent 2.0 update on my Z6, the camera suddenly stops responding when I try to press the shutter button sometimes. Camera becomes unresponsive for everything and the content on the screen appears to be in slo-mo. Strange things is it won't turn off when I turn off the camera. This happens for around 5-6 seconds randomly. When I keep pressing the shutter button, it says something like to press the shutter release button to release something.. (I didn't pay much attention when this happened for around 4 times as I was in a photoshoot and was panicking)

What could have caused the issue?

I was using Tamron 14-35 f2.8g2 with FTZ adapter when this happened.

Does your 15-30mm f/2.8 G2 Tamron (I assume that's the lens you mean) have the latest firmware?

 briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon Df Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +21 more
quattro88
quattro88 Contributing Member • Posts: 727
Re: Z6 unresponsive
1

Styadp wrote:

After the recent 2.0 update on my Z6, the camera suddenly stops responding when I try to press the shutter button sometimes. Camera becomes unresponsive for everything and the content on the screen appears to be in slo-mo. Strange things is it won't turn off when I turn off the camera. This happens for around 5-6 seconds randomly. When I keep pressing the shutter button, it says something like to press the shutter release button to release something.. (I didn't pay much attention when this happened for around 4 times as I was in a photoshoot and was panicking)

What could have caused the issue?

I was using Tamron 14-35 f2.8g2 with FTZ adapter when this happened.

I had the same Z6 behavior when I put on my Tamron 28-70 f2.8 G2. The problem for the camera behaving this way is in Tamron, not Z6. Tamron needs firmware update.

You will need to buy TAMRON TAP-in Console for Nikon TAP-01N. It's available on Amazon. I am reluctant to spend $80 for a one-time use of this gadget as I have Nikon 24-70 f4 that came with Z6. I need to find someone in Vancouver to buy this console together and to share it.

-- hide signature --

Efraim
Vancouver, Canada
Nikon D750, Nikon Z6, Nikkor AF-S 70-200 F/2.8 G ED VRII, Nikkor S 24-70 f/4, Nikkor AF-S 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikkor AF-S 16-35 f/4 VR, Nikon AF-S 50mm F/1.8, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC USD G2.
Web: http://www.rightonphotography.com

 quattro88's gear list:quattro88's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED WR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +6 more
OP Styadp New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Z6 unresponsive

I've already updated the firmware right when it's released. I've been using the Tamron lens with z6 from beginning. It never happened before. Today it was strange. Whole camera was unresponsive.

OP Styadp New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Z6 unresponsive

briantilley wrote:

Styadp wrote:

After the recent 2.0 update on my Z6, the camera suddenly stops responding when I try to press the shutter button sometimes. Camera becomes unresponsive for everything and the content on the screen appears to be in slo-mo. Strange things is it won't turn off when I turn off the camera. This happens for around 5-6 seconds randomly. When I keep pressing the shutter button, it says something like to press the shutter release button to release something.. (I didn't pay much attention when this happened for around 4 times as I was in a photoshoot and was panicking)

What could have caused the issue?

I was using Tamron 14-35 f2.8g2 with FTZ adapter when this happened.

Does your 15-30mm f/2.8 G2 Tamron (I assume that's the lens you mean) have the latest firmware?

Yes.

OP Styadp New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Z6 unresponsive

quattro88 wrote:

Styadp wrote:

After the recent 2.0 update on my Z6, the camera suddenly stops responding when I try to press the shutter button sometimes. Camera becomes unresponsive for everything and the content on the screen appears to be in slo-mo. Strange things is it won't turn off when I turn off the camera. This happens for around 5-6 seconds randomly. When I keep pressing the shutter button, it says something like to press the shutter release button to release something.. (I didn't pay much attention when this happened for around 4 times as I was in a photoshoot and was panicking)

What could have caused the issue?

I was using Tamron 14-35 f2.8g2 with FTZ adapter when this happened.

I had the same Z6 behavior when I put on my Tamron 28-70 f2.8 G2. The problem for the camera behaving this way is in Tamron, not Z6. Tamron needs firmware update.

You will need to buy TAMRON TAP-in Console for Nikon TAP-01N. It's available on Amazon. I am reluctant to spend $80 for a one-time use of this gadget as I have Nikon 24-70 f4 that came with Z6. I need to find someone in Vancouver to buy this console together and to share it.

I've already updated firmware long back. I've all Trinity lenses from Tamron (G2s) with latest firmware. It never happened before. May be loose connection between adaptor and the lens?

visualenvy Regular Member • Posts: 167
Re: Z6 unresponsive
1

Styadp wrote:

I've already updated firmware long back. I've all Trinity lenses from Tamron (G2s) with latest firmware. It never happened before. May be loose connection between adaptor and the lens?

I assume you don't have any Z lenses to test for a week to see if it happens?

As soon as you put on a 3rd party product then that will automatically be the potential culprit until you use native to compare (F mount would be native too) over the same period of time.

Seems that Tamron lenses have had the most issues with Z.

 visualenvy's gear list:visualenvy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D5200 Nikon D40X Sony a6000 Nikon D500 +13 more
ipopov Forum Member • Posts: 50
Maybe a battery

If I remember correctly, some people reported having similar issues while using third party batteries or older versions of Nikon EN-EL15 battery (other than the latest 15b version). Do you use any of those? What was the battery level when this happened?

OP Styadp New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Maybe a battery

ipopov wrote:

If I remember correctly, some people reported having similar issues while using third party batteries or older versions of Nikon EN-EL15 battery (other than the latest 15b version). Do you use any of those? What was the battery level when this happened?

Yeah. I do use 3rd party batteries which I bought for my D750. I guess this was the issue. And I clearly remember that I was not using 15b version of it when this happened. But did Nikon tweak any of the batteries stuff with 2.0 update?(nothing such was mentioned officially) I've been using these 3rd party batteries from long time and this issue wasn't seen before.

OP Styadp New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Z6 unresponsive

visualenvy wrote:

Styadp wrote:

I've already updated firmware long back. I've all Trinity lenses from Tamron (G2s) with latest firmware. It never happened before. May be loose connection between adaptor and the lens?

I assume you don't have any Z lenses to test for a week to see if it happens?

As soon as you put on a 3rd party product then that will automatically be the potential culprit until you use native to compare (F mount would be native too) over the same period of time.

Seems that Tamron lenses have had the most issues with Z.

I don't have any Z lenses atm. I haven't seen any issues with my Tamron lenses after the firmware update on lenses. I think there should be something else which is causing it. Better I'll send it to Nikon serving before it fails during a shoot.

Nick Ho
Nick Ho Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: Z6 unresponsive

Styadp wrote:

visualenvy wrote:

Styadp wrote:

I've already updated firmware long back. I've all Trinity lenses from Tamron (G2s) with latest firmware. It never happened before. May be loose connection between adaptor and the lens?

I assume you don't have any Z lenses to test for a week to see if it happens?

As soon as you put on a 3rd party product then that will automatically be the potential culprit until you use native to compare (F mount would be native too) over the same period of time.

Seems that Tamron lenses have had the most issues with Z.

I don't have any Z lenses atm. I haven't seen any issues with my Tamron lenses after the firmware update on lenses. I think there should be something else which is causing it. Better I'll send it to Nikon serving before it fails during a shoot.

I'm using my Z6 with Tamron 70-200 2.8G2 and a 3rd party battery, so far no issues after updating firmware to 2.0. The syndrome you mentioned had occurred to me while I was using the Tamron with its old firmware, same as with my other Tamron 17-35 2.8-4.

I think it could be the lens which caused the problem, not Z6 itself. I once owned a Tamron 70-200 2.8 and that lens was unusable with my Z6 even after updating its firmware. I eventually returned the lens and bought a new one which is trouble-free thereafter.

 Nick Ho's gear list:Nick Ho's gear list
Sigma DP2 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic GH5 Sony a7 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +9 more
commiebiker Senior Member • Posts: 2,111
Re: Maybe a battery

Styadp wrote:

ipopov wrote:

If I remember correctly, some people reported having similar issues while using third party batteries or older versions of Nikon EN-EL15 battery (other than the latest 15b version). Do you use any of those? What was the battery level when this happened?

Yeah. I do use 3rd party batteries which I bought for my D750. I guess this was the issue. And I clearly remember that I was not using 15b version of it when this happened. But did Nikon tweak any of the batteries stuff with 2.0 update?(nothing such was mentioned officially) I've been using these 3rd party batteries from long time and this issue wasn't seen before.

If you are using third party batteries + third party lenses with known issues, you just might expect less than optimal performance

 commiebiker's gear list:commiebiker's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D4 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7S Nikon D500 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads