What's the best all in one lense for a new young shooter?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
RondaArouseMe
RondaArouseMe Regular Member • Posts: 213
What's the best all in one lense for a new young shooter?

Giving my daughter my old 5d Mkii as a gift for her birthday and wanted to include a lense for her. She has been using it typically with an original Tamron 28-70 2.8 di lense and its fried out now and makes loud noises and keeps giving an error.

Whats the best all around lense to replace that for her and she shoots mainly models?

RondaArouseMe's gear list:RondaArouseMe's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a7 II Canon EOS RP Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM +2 more
danferrin Regular Member • Posts: 201
Re: What's the best all in one lense for a new young shooter?

The best for shooting models, in my opinion, would be the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM. If she never uses f2.8 you could save a little money and give her the EF 24–105mm f/4L IS II USM.  But my guess is that for what she shoots, the wider aperture of the 24-70 would be more important than the added length of the 24-105, and though I've never shot with either of these lenses (I haven't shot models in decades), I believe the 24-70 has a better reputation.

-- hide signature --

My life is a circle of confusion - photography is my meditation.

danferrin's gear list:danferrin's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 20-35mm F3.5-4.5 USM +17 more
1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,230

canon 24-105 f4.0. it is a very good all around lens with HQ output! excellent for travel due to its light weight and relative small body. good luck.

-- hide signature --

if everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough! "Mario Andretti"

danferrin Regular Member • Posts: 201

You might also want to consider a couple of fast prime lenses.  50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8.  If she needs something wider, a 24 or 28  f2.8.  My daughter uses my old primes and while she has to change lenses once in awhile, it makes her think about why she is choosing a particular focal length for that particular shot.  And the faster apertures give her the option of greater separation between subject and background than she can get with most zooms. She also get to zoom with her feet, which doesn't hurt, and it slows things down a bit, which I think is an advantage in the learning process for a young photographer.  Just my 2 cents worth.

-- hide signature --

My life is a circle of confusion - photography is my meditation.

danferrin's gear list:danferrin's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 20-35mm F3.5-4.5 USM +17 more
Kaso Veteran Member • Posts: 4,477

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

I've been using one - sharp wide-open, contrasty, focal range suitable for portraits.

Austin7642 Regular Member • Posts: 259

RondaArouseMe wrote:

Giving my daughter my old 5d Mkii as a gift for her birthday and wanted to include a lense for her. She has been using it typically with an original Tamron 28-70 2.8 di lense and its fried out now and makes loud noises and keeps giving an error.

Whats the best all around lense to replace that for her and she shoots mainly models?

The 800mm f/5.6 L EF is a good start, so I've heard.

Austin7642's gear list:Austin7642's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II +14 more
risto40
risto40 Regular Member • Posts: 313

models.. like people? Then maybe something longer like 70-200. That of course means she would not have a good walk-around lens (at least i consider 70-200 a bit to long for walk-around lens).

risto40's gear list:risto40's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +3 more
ffabrici Contributing Member • Posts: 929

I would recommend the 24-105L.

RondaArouseMe
OP RondaArouseMe Regular Member • Posts: 213

danferrin wrote:

You might also want to consider a couple of fast prime lenses. 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8. If she needs something wider, a 24 or 28 f2.8. My daughter uses my old primes and while she has to change lenses once in awhile, it makes her think about why she is choosing a particular focal length for that particular shot. And the faster apertures give her the option of greater separation between subject and background than she can get with most zooms. She also get to zoom with her feet, which doesn't hurt, and it slows things down a bit, which I think is an advantage in the learning process for a young photographer. Just my 2 cents worth.

I like this plan. I only want to spend maybe $250 anyway. I just bought two new cameras for myself afterall. She can save her money and get better stuff.

RondaArouseMe's gear list:RondaArouseMe's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a7 II Canon EOS RP Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM +2 more
PicNoir Forum Member • Posts: 59

You've mentioned the budget, but think about weight as well. Looking at earlier experience the lens 24-105 will make her happy.

PicNoir's gear list:PicNoir's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Lost99999 Regular Member • Posts: 219
24-105L F4 or one off the 16-35 L if you are more into WA

No text.

Lost99999's gear list:Lost99999's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
richardperson
richardperson Regular Member • Posts: 295

I don't even own this lens, but if I could have only one, it would probably be the 24-105 f/4, unless you think she will be shooting a lot of low light or sports (or dance, etc), then I would do the 24-70mm f/2.8.

richardperson's gear list:richardperson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM +10 more
mikebinok
mikebinok Regular Member • Posts: 430

If I could just have one lens for general purpose shooting, it would be the 24-105/4L. I believe there is a non-L version out now that is more affordable and pretty good.

your daughter isn’t me, and if shooting models is really important to her, I’d endorse the need for a fast short telephoto lens. 85/1.8 should fit the bill, though I’ve never used it. I approve the idea of adding a wide angle prime to her kit. I have and like the 28/2.8 IS. The 24/2.8 IS also is supposed to be pretty good. Or possibly just add the 40/2.8 for something compact and inexpensive. Then you could let her buy her own wide angle!

mikebinok's gear list:mikebinok's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +15 more
2Risky Forum Member • Posts: 59

The 24-70mm f/ 2.8L ii hands down.

2Risky's gear list:2Risky's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM +6 more
threw the lens
threw the lens Senior Member • Posts: 1,334

Isn't it crazy you give a child a $500 camera at most and people are recommending $1500 lenses to go with it.

I think a 24-70 is a little short for one lens, it hardly gives them any of that telephoto feel. And for models? Human ones or scale ones?

A 24-105 either the old f4 white box, or the f5.6 version would be more interesting for them.

Don't forget Sigma & Tamron do interesting superzooms because they update theirs every other year, they are experts by now.

I don't even think the old 35-135 f3.5-4.5 is a bad idea if she's going to shoot people. Good range for it. Maybe throw in a cheap 50mm f1.8 to get them used to thinking more about  their compositions.

1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,230

threw the lens wrote:

Isn't it crazy you give a child a $500 camera at most and people are recommending $1500 lenses to go with it.

I think a 24-70 is a little short for one lens, it hardly gives them any of that telephoto feel. And for models? Human ones or scale ones?

A 24-105 either the old f4 white box, or the f5.6 version would be more interesting for them.

Don't forget Sigma & Tamron do interesting superzooms because they update theirs every other year, they are experts by now.

I don't even think the old 35-135 f3.5-4.5 is a bad idea if she's going to shoot people. Good range for it. Maybe throw in a cheap 50mm f1.8 to get them used to thinking more about their compositions.

i got serious with DSLRs in 2005 and got me a 5D and 24-10 f4.0, never regretted it! i have already suggested the 24-105 in my original post and i think any version of it will do, as you have noted. my feeling is that if an interested kid starts with a good lens, it may become impetus for their desire to become better photographers from earlier age once they see they can produce quality photos, IMO. i wouldn't waste their time with jellybean lenses so they give up on photography in a very short time. YMMV.

-- hide signature --

if everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough! "Mario Andretti"

VanA Contributing Member • Posts: 546

Another vote for the 24-105L

If you can swing it, for around $130 add the 50 1.8 STM lens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads