How Are We?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
CharlesB58 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,159
How Are We?

2009 Micro Four Thirds debuts: "These cameras are so small, they're like toys. Plus, they will never catch on without a pro spec'd flagship model, Olympus needs to figure out the market."

2011 EPM1: "It's too small" and it fails. "When will Olympus come out with a camera for pros and serious amateurs"

2012 OMD EM5: "It's getting there, but still not a camera "real pros" would use. And why does it have to look like a slr?"

2013 OMD EM1: "It's not really a professional camera. Olympus needs to come out with something to compete with Canon and Nikon."

2019 OMD EM1x: "It's too big. Olympus has lost its focus. They forgot what m4/3 is all about."

Yeah, we're that messed up as a group of camera owners. LOL

-- hide signature --

Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed. Quote by Garry Winogrand
http://ikkensimages.com

Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,140
Bring it on. The more choices the better.

CharlesB58 wrote:

2009 Micro Four Thirds debuts: "These cameras are so small, they're like toys. Plus, they will never catch on without a pro spec'd flagship model, Olympus needs to figure out the market."

2011 EPM1: "It's too small" and it fails. "When will Olympus come out with a camera for pros and serious amateurs"

2012 OMD EM5: "It's getting there, but still not a camera "real pros" would use. And why does it have to look like a slr?"

2013 OMD EM1: "It's not really a professional camera. Olympus needs to come out with something to compete with Canon and Nikon."

2019 OMD EM1x: "It's too big. Olympus has lost its focus. They forgot what m4/3 is all about."

I think some forget it's all about having a choice in a system. I'm happy with a small camera to a large camera. I mean heck, we have so many bodies and lenses to choose from and maybe that's the issue.

All the best and a good smile this post. Probably very close to the truth

Danny.

nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7 Olympus E-M1 II +6 more
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 3,377
Re: Bring it on. The more choices the better.

nzmacro wrote:

CharlesB58 wrote:

I think some forget it's all about having a choice in a system. I'm happy with a small camera to a large camera. I mean heck, we have so many bodies and lenses to choose from and maybe that's the issue.

Danny.

I DON'T want to buy an E-M1x just to get a MyMenu function.  But Olympus hasn't done firmware updates to bring enhanced user interface elements to E-M1 and E-M5 cameras.    Mimicking Panasonic's "you bought it, you're stuck with it" philosophy.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Nikon D7100 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II +13 more
nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,140
I don't want one either John

john isaacs wrote:

Danny.

I DON'T want to buy an E-M1x just to get a MyMenu function. But Olympus hasn't done firmware updates to bring enhanced user interface elements to E-M1 and E-M5 cameras. Mimicking Panasonic's "you bought it, you're stuck with it" philosophy.

I can see why some get upset for sure John, but if I was buying today, its another matter.

I don't want to buy an EM1x just to get pro capture John, so I don't buy one. Same as I don't for the EM-1 MKII or a G9 for DFD.

I will however buy either for a good reason and at the moment, none of them offer me anything. That's why having a choice is good. In the future I can see them offering me things I don't need just now though.

The EM1x I would buy if I had the lenses I want, same as a G9 or EM-1 MKII.

All the best John and there is no way any camera body will have everything I want in it. We don't get to design them, we just get to make a choice.

Danny.

nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7 Olympus E-M1 II +6 more
acfo Regular Member • Posts: 266

john isaacs wrote:

I DON'T want to buy an E-M1x just to get a MyMenu function. But Olympus hasn't done firmware updates to bring enhanced user interface elements to E-M1 and E-M5 cameras. Mimicking Panasonic's "you bought it, you're stuck with it" philosophy.

Did you take a look at the firmware update history before you wrote that? There have been quite a few new features which came with firmware updates.

acfo's gear list:acfo's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +3 more
absquatulate Forum Pro • Posts: 10,195
All the forums on here are the same...

An amazing choice of products, but filled with gear heads whining incessantly about their chosen brand. It's really quite simple, if you're not happy then buy something else. I'm really pretty amazed at how good all these cameras are these days, but then l still happily use film so maybe l have a more grounded perspective.

I remember flaky auto-focus, shutter lag, rubbish ergonomics, tiny viewfinders etc etc, now l pick up my G9 and am regularly amazed by what it can do. I'm sure l could apply that to any m4/3's camera from the last 5 years. There's just no serious perspective from many people on here, l consider myself really lucky to own such capable equipment, l really don't understand what's not to like?

JaKing
JaKing Senior Member • Posts: 5,370
Re: All the forums on here are the same...

Hear, hear, Abs.

-- hide signature --

br, john, from you know where
My gear list and sordid past are here: https://www.dpreview.com/members/1558378718/overview
Gallery: https://www.canopuscomputing.com.au/zen2/page/gallery/

JaKing's gear list:JaKing's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus E-1 +27 more
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 24,209
Re: How Are We?

still taking pictures, cameras and systems come and go, but the raison d'etre remains?

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +1 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 32,005
Re: How Are We? = Happy.

Just a personal M4/3 journey, no agony to speak of. High points are.....

2010: Buy E-PL1 and kit lens, nice.

2011: Add Panasonic 14-45mm, nicer.

2013: Buy E-PL5, even better.

2014: Add 12-40/2.8, now things are looking better. Also added other lenses along the way.

2014: Buy E-P5, now everything works for me as it should, stopped buying bodies.

2019: Buy Sony RX100 M6, now have the option of quite good performance in pocket sized camera. Completely happy with that or with M4/3, use either or both as needed.

Summary: Bad M4/3 consumer as I see nothing else that I would like to buy, except for even more lenses maybe.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +4 more
magnesus3 Regular Member • Posts: 347

Those quotes are from different people. I was always for smaller cameras, not bigger. And loved how tiny E-P1 was compared to my E-520.

Thorgrem Contributing Member • Posts: 760

CharlesB58 wrote:

I'm just fine. Thank you for asking, and how are you?

You seem to make a valid point indeed. Apparently our system is so great with so many possibilities that people don't know where to whine about anymore. C-AF is the latest thing to be nagging about I think, despite body's like the E-M1X and E-M1 Mark II are actually very good at it. And we have a nice huge (relatively affordable) collection of state of the art modern optics with blazing fast autofocus mechanics in them.

My personal journey in MFT land also been a really pleasant trip.

- started with the E-PL1 with 14-42 kitlens back in november 2010. Nice IQ. Followed my photo course with it. (the decision in the camera show was between the E-PL1, the NX100 and NEX-5, still don't regret going with the Olympus)

- added the slow 40-150 for a whooping 300 euro's back in the beginning of 2011. It's the only thing I have left from that time. Great lens, small, light and decent quality.

- added the VF-2 which was really nice

- added the 12mm f2.0 and 45mm f1.8

- stumbled on a heavy discounted new E-P3 in may 2013. It was build like a tank and had blazing fast S-AF. Nice IQ form that 12mp sensor. Loved it but sold it to finance the E-M10 because I wanted an integrated EVF. Never should have sold it.

- bought the E-M10 in august 2015.

- bought the 12-40 and sold the 12 and 45mm primes.

-bought the 60mm f2.8 macro to experiment with macro. Also added a Godox flash.

- bought a second hand E-M5 Mark II with grips in januari 2018. Wanted more substantial to go with the 12-40. Sold the E-M10 because it had no more use. Before I bought this camera I did take some time to have a look at other systems. Sony A7 family and Fuji. Decided that it wasn't going to give me more joy or improve my skills. Also lenses tend to be quite expansive in those lines.

- added the 17mm f1.8 to make a compact package when wanted.

- added a nice set of Cokin Z-Pro filters.

I think it's great to have such a versatile system that you can buy whatever you want within the same system.

Thorgrem's gear list:Thorgrem's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro
sunjester
sunjester Senior Member • Posts: 1,488

CharlesB58 wrote:

https://www.getolympus.com/dslarm

-- hide signature --

Starter astrophotographer

sunjester's gear list:sunjester's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Panasonic G85 +10 more
inorogNL
inorogNL Regular Member • Posts: 193

Fine, it ( photograph)  started many years ago with oly ep1, nowadays shooting with both nikon (FF) and m43 (pen f and pana gm1). Could not be more happy. Think 99% complaining comes from people than never touched a single m43 camere let alone have used one.  If I could wish for something here that would be new pen f

inorogNL's gear list:inorogNL's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +1 more
(unknown member) Forum Member • Posts: 95

What about you? Did you or will you buy the E-M1X? Or do you think it is too big, heavy, expensive and not what you need for your kind of photography?

DtBB
DtBB Regular Member • Posts: 185

john isaacs wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

CharlesB58 wrote:

Danny.

PREACH! PREACH!

TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 8,114

john isaacs wrote:

....Olympus hasn't done firmware updates to bring enhanced user interface elements to E-M1 and E-M5 cameras. Mimicking Panasonic's "you bought it, you're stuck with it" philosophy.

• Panasonic GH4 has had 8 firmware upgrades
  • GH5 has had 5 upgrades
  • G9 has had 2 upgrades

All involving multiple performance improvements and multiple new features added.

I guess you don't know what you are talking about.

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
Chris DC Forum Member • Posts: 81

We are fine.   Those that post are likely a small subset of users who have something they want to say and share and I appreciate them.

Personally, I quietly asked Olympus via surveys to make one big body to handle the bigger lenses. I found the EM1s to be too small even with the add on grips.

The EM1x fills the niche just right and I am happy with it. I have other cameras for other uses.

Mad for the price, at debut the smaller predecessors with a grip and extra battery and charger wasn’t much under the 3000 price of the new flagship.

CDC

OP CharlesB58 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,159

john isaacs wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

CharlesB58 wrote:

Danny.

Software seems to be where a lot of tech gear manufacturers fall short. In the past I've read Canon, Nikon and Sony users complain that they wished their brands did firmware updates as comprehensive as some of the ones released by Olympus.

Perhaps part of it is the risk of bricking a camera. Even though there are "at your risk" disclaimers, people with bricked cameras due to botched firmware installs will rave to high heaven about it.

-- hide signature --

Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed. Quote by Garry Winogrand

Tasslehoff wrote:

What about you? Did you or will you buy the E-M1X? Or do you think it is too big, heavy, expensive and not what you need for your kind of photography?

I currently have little need for the features the EM1x offers. I don't do BIF or sports, don't use grips on my EM1.1s (though at times I feel I'd like to). I don't see a worthwhile return on investment for the EM1x (which is one thing I consider as a working photographer). Size and weight are a bit of a consideration, but not if the overall ergonomics and features offset that. I'm enjoying the fact that I can fit 2 bodies and 3 lenses (one the tiny 7Artizans 25 f1.8) flash, strap system, batteries and some extras into a sling bag that would barely hold something like a D810 and single zoom lens in the main compartment.

Right now my EM1.1s are serving my professional and personal needs quite well. I'm waiting to see what the EM1.3 has to offer, then decide whether to buy that or upgrade on the cheap to the EM1.2, which does have some feature and performance upgrades I desire.

Years ago, when the no-EVF rangefinder form factor cameras were all there was to Olympus m4/3, there was some discussion about what people would like to see come out in m4/3. I said if they could come out with a m4/3 with the same basic body as the E520, I'd love it. They did. I do.

That ROI factor I mentioned is something overlooked by amateurs, because it doesn't really matter to them anyway. A pro, no matter the level of G.A.S., does, (or at least should) consider whether a new piece of gear will offer a decent return. Improved workflow, improved IQ or the opportunity to produce images current gear can't produce are all things a working photographer considers when upgrading/buying new gear.

-- hide signature --

Chris DC wrote:

We are fine. Those that post are likely a small subset of users who have something they want to say and share and I appreciate them.

Personally, I quietly asked Olympus via surveys to make one big body to handle the bigger lenses. I found the EM1s to be too small even with the add on grips.

You bring up a point that seems lost on the "Olympus are idiots" crowd. Olympus doesn't develop products in a vacuum. Visionaries, the surveys you mention, marketing research etc. all go into deciding everything from ergonomics to sensor to overall features. The final product is refined through testing by Visionaries and others.

Remember when the EM5 came out and it was announced DSLR production would cease? Olympus released an article about how they had working prototypes of both m4/3 and 4/3 bodies. They let Visionaries and others try them both, with the condition that due to financial considerations, only the MILC or the DSLR would be put into production. The consensus of the test group, together with Olympus's strategic plans led to the introduction of the OMD series and the end of the E series.

People of course protested. Some left Olympus. But the claims that Olympus was insane or stupid were unfounded, because users played a big part in the decision.

The EM1x fills the niche just right and I am happy with it. I have other cameras for other uses.

Mad for the price, at debut the smaller predecessors with a grip and extra battery and charger wasn’t much under the 3000 price of the new flagship.

Oddly enough, marketing research in a number of product categories indicates that if the price of a certain item is too low, people will not buy it because they think it will be cheaply made. Cameras are like that. I theorize that the EM1x could retail for as much as $1000 less, but that would put the price more into the "prosumer" range than the expected flagship range (consider the prices of the Canon 1D, Nikon D5 and Sony A9). That and Olympus stated plainly they don't expect to sell a lot of EM1x bodies, that it's more a demonstration of capability than an attempt to bolster profits.

CDC

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads