Sony 24-105mm F4 OR Tamron 28-75mm

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
LenRivers Contributing Member • Posts: 987
Re: Sony 24-105mm F4 OR Tamron 28-75mm

tuudeloo wrote:

I have been wanting to get an all-round lens, and these two stood out. I have rented both lens to try and I must say Im even more confused over the 2 lenses.

I shoot mainly landscapes with the occasional street/travel photography.

I loved the extra FL of the sony, but the tamron was lighter and easier to handle, and the speed proved useful sometimes. Im slightly favouring the tamron due to the weight, looks and speed but I dont want to lose what the sony has to offer in terms of versatility, which i value greatly too.

I already own a 35mm f/28.

Would you follow your "heart" or your "head"?

I am not sure how comprehensive your tests were.  Did you use flash or will you if needed?

There is only one stop difference between these lenses and all you have to do is raise the ISO one stop, lower the shutter speed one stop if the aperture is at F 4.0

You have to decide if 75 mm is the longest you need.  If you want longer are you buying a second lens?  What is the cost of that lens vs the cost of the 24-105 And what do you get from 75 mm onward

Next you have to decide if 28 mm is wide enough.  There is a noticeable difference between 28 mm and 24 mm in a good way.

Next, unless you want a  compact kit when you don't want to take the zoom lens I would sell that 35 mm and whatever you get just take it. Usually 50% of what it is new less any current rebates.  I dont know what that lens costs new off the top

Follow practicality and what you will use.  To me a 28-75 F 2.8 over the reach of the 24-105 that covers that classic portrait / headshot range AND is wider is worth it to me. It is a downgrade IMO to sell my 24-105 to get the 28-75 for only one stop of light with a camera that has IBIS

Dirk W Veteran Member • Posts: 3,247

I only have 2 ff lenses, the Sony 70-300 and the Tamron 28-75. The Tamron is so good, sharp and versatile that I don't feel the need for any fixed lens in its zoom range, certainly not an f2.8, except maybe I will buy one f1.4 lens some time, probably a 35mm. I am just back from a 10 day West Canada trip with the both lenses and my A7R2 and did not feel that I missed anything. The Tamron performs extremely sharp in landscapes, and gives you low light capabilities for evening shots with it's 2.8 aperture. And its's small and light.

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a7R II Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +2 more
Kansas Ron Senior Member • Posts: 2,335

I actually have the 24-105 and the 24-70 GM.  The former is my travel lens and the GM is my event/wedding, etc. lens.

-- hide signature --

(See profile for equipment)

Kansas Ron's gear list:Kansas Ron's gear list
Sony a9 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8
Jb502 Contributing Member • Posts: 519

SonyOB wrote:

I got my A73 when the 24-105 was not available yet.
At that time, I thought I keep the investments to a minimum before I decide which brand I'll go with. Today, I'd probably choose differently.

That said, I like 75mm at f/2.8, full open.

Um, the 24-105 came out in October of 2017 with the a7riii.  The a7ii came out in feb of 2018.  I'm not sure how you got your hands on a a7iii before the 24-105 was rebased.

Jb502's gear list:Jb502's gear list
Sony a7R III Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8
travelinbri_74
travelinbri_74 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,426

he 24-105 was really hard to get - kinda like the 24/1.4 (not as bad) - for months after it came out? Maybe this person means lack of availability?

-- hide signature --
 travelinbri_74's gear list:travelinbri_74's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,288
Tamron is also best at close focusing, more magnification

Dirk W wrote:

I only have 2 ff lenses, the Sony 70-300 and the Tamron 28-75. The Tamron is so good, sharp and versatile that I don't feel the need for any fixed lens in its zoom range, certainly not an f2.8, except maybe I will buy one f1.4 lens some time, probably a 35mm. I am just back from a 10 day West Canada trip with the both lenses and my A7R2 and did not feel that I missed anything. The Tamron performs extremely sharp in landscapes, and gives you low light capabilities for evening shots with it's 2.8 aperture. And its's small and light.

Agree.  Tamron close focuses down to 7.5" about and Sony requires 9.5".  Tamron also magnifies before.  I didn't figure i would be using Tamron as much as i do.

Have sold the FE 28.  Bought a Canon 135mm f2 to complement the Tamron.  I'm trying for the most flexibility in a small pack.  Folks say that 1 stop of light isn't much - i disagree - its twice the amount of light gathered over an f4.

-- hide signature --

Phil B

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +3 more
JerseySailor Regular Member • Posts: 257
Sony 24-105mm F4 OR Tamron 28-75mm

An interesting write-up on the Sony 24-105G was done by Roger Cicala over at LensRentals last year. His testing of the Sony knocked his socks off.

Check it out at: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/02/mtf-tests-of-the-sony-fe-24-105mm-f4-oss/

Prior to buying the 24-105G, I had the Sony/Zeiss 24-70 ZA lens, and just ran into far too many cases where I needed to shoot longer than 70mm. The extra reach of the 24-105mm lens made me a happy camper, and I sold the 24-70 ZA.

Kevin

JerseySailor's gear list:JerseySailor's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
mfenske
mfenske Regular Member • Posts: 283

Walked around the neighborhood with the dog a few minutes ago with the A7iii and the Tamron and I continue to be impressed.

Anyone know what these are called? Also zoomed in there's a spider web on it.

Reggie enjoying the benefits of Eye-AF

I've shot the 24-105 also and I like the ability to have extra light.

-- hide signature --

Photography newbie who's having fun learning

mfenske's gear list:mfenske's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8
gphome Regular Member • Posts: 439

There is agood recent comparision here:

https://blog.keepcoding.ch/?p=4364

Basically covers most of the points here, it seems that the Sony is a little quicker to focus and has slightly smoother bokeh (which I did see from the sample photos I analysed) but the Tamron is lighter when extended.

Interestingly when retracted, the Tamron is slightly the longer lens

gphome's gear list:gphome's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +1 more
BluestravellerTX Forum Member • Posts: 87

dkeller wrote:

Very good analysis and comparison. The 24 vs 28 was the deciding factor for me as well, and the 105 vs 75 was a nice bonus. f4 works fine for most shooting and you can always bump up the iso of you need. If low light is a factor I would just get a nice 28 prime.

Same here. I recently bought the Sony 24-105 as a primary travel lens because of the range - I don't like swapping lenses while moving around outdoors. I've augmented it with the 28 F2 and 85 F1.8 for indoor usage where I have more leeway to change lenses.

BluestravellerTX's gear list:BluestravellerTX's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Sony a7R III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +4 more
MarcoE
MarcoE Contributing Member • Posts: 769

gphome wrote:

Basically covers most of the points here, it seems that the Sony is a little quicker to focus and has slightly smoother bokeh (which I did see from the sample photos I analysed) but the Tamron is lighter when extended.

If you don’t see the difference in rendering between these 2 lenses you must ask yourself why you are shopping in this pricerange....

MarcoE's gear list:MarcoE's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
OP tuudeloo New Member • Posts: 2

Thank you all for your inputs. Really appreciate it!

I have decided to go for the sony after much consideration and hearing from you guys. Seems like it will fit my needs more.

Looking forward to get my copy!

blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 11,792

tuudeloo wrote:

I have been wanting to get an all-round lens, and these two stood out. I have rented both lens to try and I must say Im even more confused over the 2 lenses.

I shoot mainly landscapes with the occasional street/travel photography.

I loved the extra FL of the sony, but the tamron was lighter and easier to handle, and the speed proved useful sometimes. Im slightly favouring the tamron due to the weight, looks and speed but I dont want to lose what the sony has to offer in terms of versatility, which i value greatly too.

I already own a 35mm f/28.

Would you follow your "heart" or your "head"?

Disclaimer: I opted for the 24-105mm myself.

As to your decision process, here are some thoughts:

1. Do you carry multiple lenses, now and in the future?

You mention the 35 f/2.8, which will give you f/2.8 indoors. The Tamron might make this lens obsolete.

OTOH, I prefer f/2.0, or faster, lenses indoors and would carry lenses such as the 28/2.0 or the 55/1.8. I also love the Batis 85/1.8 for indoor portraits under low light.

If you were to add any such lenses to your stable, the then Tamron will not get much use at f/.28.

2. Do you want a single lens solution?

The Tamon can be used a a single lens. It is essentially similar to the basic kit 28-70 Sony zoom lens, but gives you a very practical f/2.8 aperture.

However, I did purchase the original A7 with the kit 28-70 zoom lens, and I found that to be not a wonderful focal range - you give up at both the wide and the long range, and especially the wide is often rather inconvenient.

The slightly extended range of the 24-105 makes this  a much more versatile lens.

I actually went from the Sony 28-70 kit lens to the 24-240 AIO Sony zoom lens, and found that I did not use this lens much past 128mm, and also would not touch this lens when lights would dim.

The Sony 24-105 captures almost all of the practical zoom range, to me, and yields an f/4 constant aperture, which does let me 'get by' after dark or indoors if lights are not too dim. Practically, I would also carry the FE28/2.0 for low light.

3. SW Support?

I still have copies of LR on my PCs, and not in the cloud. This 'last' LR version does support the Sony FE24-105, but not the Tamron 24-75, as the latter was too new to be included in the 'last' LR version. I know that I will have to migrate to the cloud version at some point, but I still prefer having LR running locally on my PC.

Perhaps not a big enough reason to many, but one that mattered to me.

And yes, the PC's are aging

4. Purpose - street and travel?

For street photography, do consider alternatives. E.g. the 16-35 coupled with a 70-300 lets you be much adaptive to close and far action that the 24-105. Often, in 'far' scenes, 105 is not ideal. Neither is 24mm for 'nearby' scenes.

I used to travel with the 16-35 and 24-240 and found that the most versatile day-time setup, however at night I would switch to the FE28 and FE55, sometimes with the 21mm adapter as well. Now with the switch to 24-105 I have essentially 'lightened' my load somewhat, but in terms of a two-lens solution the effect is negligable (same carry bags).

Akin to my experience with the 28-70 kit lens, the Tamron will come up short in my view for an all-around lens, even though it has f/2.8 aperture.

5. Landscapes?

For landscapes you don't need (nor want) f/2.8. Enough said.

6. Other ideas?

I do also have the 35mm f/2.8. It is a great and small lens, and can be used solely as a 'all around' lens. The FOV is wide enough, and the aperture is fast enough to cover many situation. Yes, you do not have wide nor tele nor fast, but consider this as an 'alternative' single lens solution versus the Tamron.

i would favor the Tamron if placed specifically against the FE28 or FE55 lenses (by themselves), but would favor a set of FE28+FE55 over the Tamron (for aperture).

Using only the FE35 versus the Tamron is somewhat of a Tamron win, but the compactness of the FE35 is rather appealing.

7. Last thoughts.

As I also have the FE1635 and B85, I would be fine with a 28-75 focal range. And to me, the FE24105 wins in terms of the extended focal range as a single lens. Both the Tamron and the Sony are somewhat 'jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none' to me, but I would be more comfortable being out with just the Sony than with just the Tamron.

YMMV.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a7 II Sony a7R II +37 more
gphome Regular Member • Posts: 439

MarcoE wrote:

gphome wrote:

If you don’t see the difference in rendering between these 2 lenses you must ask yourself why you are shopping in this pricerange....

In what context are you talking about? I’ve not mentioned rendering at all. Your comment makes no sense

gphome's gear list:gphome's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +1 more
MarcoE

gphome wrote:

MarcoE wrote:

gphome wrote:

In what context are you talking about? I’ve not mentioned rendering at all. Your comment makes no sense

Of course it's personal but when i compare both lenses the rendering of the tamron is much better. A lot of people agree with me and a lot not. I had both lenses and was able to compare.

Fujifilm X-M1 Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
JahRo Junior Member • Posts: 33

MarcoE wrote:

gphome wrote:

MarcoE wrote:

gphome wrote:

Of course it's personal but when i compare both lenses the rendering of the tamron is much better. A lot of people agree with me and a lot not. I had both lenses and was able to compare.

This is all personal preference. I have both, and the Tamron has a more contrasting rendering, but I love the Sony's colors more.

JahRo's gear list:JahRo's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD
MarcoE

JahRo wrote:

MarcoE wrote:

gphome wrote:

MarcoE wrote:

gphome wrote:

This is all personal preference. I have both, and the Tamron has a more contrasting rendering, but I love the Sony's colors more.

nothing to add

engbert Senior Member • Posts: 2,916

Not ideal in that shutter speed should have been adjusted for the wider aperture.

However, some might find it useful. Setting up lens tests is tedious. The camera was on the same tripod which was not moved.

I think the wedges all blur together twixt two and three for both lenses.

engbert's gear list:engbert's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a6400 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +1 more
dkeller Senior Member • Posts: 1,339

And a lot of us don't.

dkeller's gear list:dkeller's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony a7 II Sony SLT-A68 Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +4 more
dkeller Senior Member • Posts: 1,339

There appears to be quite a difference in exposure between these two pictures, in spite of all setting being the same.  Did a cloud come over during the first shot?  In any case, comparing the pictures is pretty much meaningless due to this,

dkeller's gear list:dkeller's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony a7 II Sony SLT-A68 Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads