Is DPR biased?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,232
Re: Is DPR biased?

No.

Other sports cameras from Canon and Nikon do not have IBIS, but all their sports lenses have image stabilization which works with tripod or monopod.

Even for sports, having stabilization is important, especially with modes that work with panning movements (Canon's mode 2). Also, many sports images are taken without tripod and monopod these days.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
NextShowForSure Contributing Member • Posts: 674

kiwidad wrote:

Reading the https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-cameras-for-sports-and-action/2

Noticed the X-T3 is criticized for no IBIS!

the phrase "The lack of image stabilization is the main factor you might want to consider in what is otherwise a great all-rounder."

Why isn't this an issue for the reviewer with the Nikon and Canons mentioned costing 3 to 4 times more money?

A review will always generate a bias on the part of the reviewer on top of any that he already has which is what a rating is. Just read around to find the opinion you want.

Just because the reviewer thinks that way does not imply a corporate conspiracy by his employer against a brand.

Do not forget other brands stabilise some primes and even third party lens makers manage to stabilise prime lenses unlike Fuji with their own primes so they are particularly weak in that respect.

NextShowForSure's gear list:NextShowForSure's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Fujifilm X-A3 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +3 more
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 13,297
Re: You proove the exact opposite

After all they gave to the XH1 a silver medal with 86% score... The negative comments were essentially related to a new camera with the former sensor, and a very high price tag... just true at the moment where Sony launched the FF A 7 III at a close price tag..

the decision to discount the price of h1 makes it a very compelling offer and at meast will give to Fuji a reasonable return on investment till they launch a possible h2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
celestialemissary
celestialemissary Contributing Member • Posts: 636

fpessolano wrote:

Not sure what to say since ibis should be off for sport anyhow, so it is irrelevant ....

Yeah I don't understand that since every longer FUji lens has OIS

55-200
50-140
100-400
50-230
all those lenses have OIS and very good OIS better than IBIS on sony cameras
So even if you need stabilisation you have it

celestialemissary's gear list:celestialemissary's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR
baobob

Absolutely right since the H1 exists and the specs of T3 for video are more advanced, a paradox I described at the time they launched the T3

-- hide signature --

Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
Christof21 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,055

baobob wrote:

After all they gave to the XH1 a silver medal with 86% score... The negative comments were essentially related to a new camera with the former sensor, and a very high price tag... just true at the moment where Sony launched the FF A 7 III at a close price tag..

the decision to discount the price of h1 makes it a very compelling offer and at meast will give to Fuji a reasonable return on investment till they launch a possible h2

I am not saying the X-H1 is a bad camera, I am convinced this is a very good one.

I was surprised to read the very strong reactions very offensive toward dpr.

At the same time, Sony had released the Sony A7III, so this is not a drama if dpr gives gold award for Sony and silver award for Fuji.

baobob

and I solved the paradox with my 2 bodies....

-- hide signature --

basleigh Regular Member • Posts: 212
Re: Can you back those accusations?

Having read DPReview purchased FUJIFILM XT-3. As respects IBIS more relevant for video. Not that I am incapable of making my own decision in such matters. Any pointers always helpful.

basleigh's gear list:basleigh's gear list
Sony a7 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more
Re: Everyone is meaningfully biased.

Your comment reminded me of experience working in London camera store with an American customer buying LEICA M body with three lenses. Curious I asked politely why LEICA M? Mechanical devices more reliable he replied adding he was an electrical engineer by profession. Maybe he had experienced delays on BART in San Francisco his home town.

Sony a7 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more

Agree....for that reason purchased 50mm f2 with my X-T3. FUJI 90mm too big for me.

New FUJI compact zoom to be released later this year; smaller than 90mm hopefully

Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080

kiwidad wrote:

Reading the https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-cameras-for-sports-and-action/2

Noticed the X-T3 is criticized for no IBIS!

the phrase "The lack of image stabilization is the main factor you might want to consider in what is otherwise a great all-rounder."

Why isn't this an issue for the reviewer with the Nikon and Canons mentioned costing 3 to 4 times more money?

If I'm not mistaken, the same summary review is displayed for a camera regardless of the segment in which it is listed. For example, it appears the same summary review of the X-T3 is listed in Best Cameras Under $1500 as is included in the Best Cameras for People and Events and "Best Cameras for Sports and Action" categories. So, the summary reviews address issues relevant to a wide selection of shopping segments.

The context within which DPR dings the X-T3 for a lack of IBIS is in its video recording capabilities. It's a legitimate criticism when compared to Panasonic and other cameras considered among the top options for video. BTW, the X-T3 may not be DPR's first recommendation as a video camera, but is their "Also Consider" selection for both video and people & events. It's DPR's top selection in the "Under $1500" category. Clearly, the DPR editorial staff hold the X-T3 in high regard.

Within the sports and action segment, is there really a debate that the Nikon D5, Canon 1 DXII and Sony A9 are the best cameras for this kind of photography? To be fair, a strong case can be made that the unsurpassed build quality of the Canon and Nikon bodies along with the large selection of high quality, professional and enthusiast lenses for this genre set those brands apart from Sony.

This isn't a ding on Fuji, which offers a selection of cameras and lenses that are excellent options for a variety of photographic genres. It's just acknowledging the reality of this niche segment.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
OP kiwidad Regular Member • Posts: 388

biza43 wrote:

No.

Other sports cameras from Canon and Nikon do not have IBIS, but all their sports lenses have image stabilization which works with tripod or monopod.

Even for sports, having stabilization is important, especially with modes that work with panning movements (Canon's mode 2). Also, many sports images are taken without tripod and monopod these days.

name a fuji zoom that doesn't have image stabilization?

kiwidad's gear list:kiwidad's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm 50-230mm +2 more
Christof21 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,055

kiwidad wrote:

biza43 wrote:

No.

16-55mm Fuji zoom

kiwidad wrote:

biza43 wrote:

No.

Name a prime that does.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Fujifilm X-A3 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +3 more
celestialemissary

NextShowForSure wrote:

kiwidad wrote:

biza43 wrote:

No.

Name a prime that does.

80mm

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080

kiwidad wrote:

biza43 wrote:

No.

Name the Fuji primes and zooms that are equivalent to the 600 f/4, 500 f/4, 400 f/2.8, 300 f/2.8 and 180-400/200-400 f/4 professional sports lenses offered by Canon and Nikon.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
celestialemissary

Bill Ferris wrote:

kiwidad wrote:

biza43 wrote:

No.

Name the Fuji primes and zooms that are equivalent to the 600 f/4, 500 f/4, 400 f/2.8 and 180-400/200-400 f/4 professional sports lenses offered by Canon and Nikon.

That does not have anything to do with the topic

Point is if you are going to use Fuji body for sports than most likely your lens will have OIS so IBIS is not a real problem here

Revenant Forum Member • Posts: 88

Those Canon and Nikon cameras are DSLRs. Even though there are DSLRs with IBIS (Pentax, Sony), there is one huge drawback with IBIS in a DSLR: the viewfinder image isn't stabilised. You could of course use the live view mode, but that's not really an option for most D5 and 1DX users, I think.

It's really in mirrorless cameras and SLTs, where you get a stabilised viewfinder image with IBIS, that you can say that the lack of IBIS is a con.

celestialemissary wrote:

NextShowForSure wrote:

kiwidad wrote:

biza43 wrote:

No.

Name a prime that does.

80mm

Touché. I walked in to that one.

Name a short cheap prime then. 

stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,905
You know this how?

don-bosco wrote:

They have always been bias against Fujifilm...Mind you some of these staff are paid to endorse anti Fuji sentiments....

That's a fairly black and white accusation that should have some backup.

I learnt a whole lot from members than these pros wanna be in Dpreview team.

Who said they want to be pros and if so , what kind? I don't know anything about their clients or side businesses, but their goal is to show is gear and how it works. I don't expect them to be professional shooters.

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads