32 mp really?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Jeepit Regular Member • Posts: 168
32 mp really?
1

This from Mirrorless Rumors:

Sshort roundup of the rumored cameras for the year 2019:

Leica SL2: coming the second half of the year with same Panasonic S1R sensor
Hasselblad X1D-100: To be on the market by the second half of the year and featuring the new Sony 100MP sensor
Fuji GFX100: Will be announced on May 23 (we know all specs about that camera)
Canon High End EOS-R camera: Probably features a new 64 Megapixel sensor and will be announced in autumn
Canon EOS-M500: Entry level APS-C camera coming this autumn
Sony A9II: To be announced in September and feature some revolutionary advancements (particularly on the sensor level)
Sony A7sIII: To be announced with or slightly after the Sony A9II
Olympus E-M5III: To be announced in late summer/early autumn and maybe featuring a new 32MP Sony sensor

Does anyone know if Sony actually has a mFt 32 mp sensor?

Because if they do and if Olympus is able to procure it and implement it into a camera...maybe hold off on purchasing the EM1x for the OMD EM1 mark III.  The mark II is coming up on its end of life cycle.  i know I know pure speculation...

Rick

 Jeepit's gear list:Jeepit's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-330 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +16 more
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D / Kiss X9) Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lunic Forum Member • Posts: 53
Re: 32 mp really?
1

"Maybe".

Maybe a mere suggestion of Mirrorlessrumors.com's admin, based on a low-grade rumor suggesting that Sony would have developed a 32MP 4/3" chip.

(https://www.43rumors.com/ft1-sony-allegedly-has-made-a-new-32mp-mft-sensor/)

For now, Olympus have a plan to release a E-M5Ⅱ successor. It is the only positive thing and no details are known yet.

 lunic's gear list:lunic's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus PEN E-PM1 +6 more
justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 8,258
Re: 32 mp really?
3

Jeepit wrote:
Olympus E-M5III: To be announced in late summer/early autumn and maybe featuring a new 32MP Sony sensor

Releasing a 32MP E-M5III would undercut their 20MP E-M1X. I don't see why they would want to do that.

James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 4,989
Re: 32 mp really?
19

justmeMN wrote:

Jeepit wrote:
Olympus E-M5III: To be announced in late summer/early autumn and maybe featuring a new 32MP Sony sensor

Releasing a 32MP E-M5III would undercut their 20MP E-M1X. I don't see why they would want to do that.

Nikon , Canon and Sony , have high speed low mp cameras { D5,1DX,A9 etc } along with less expensive high MP models { D850/5DR/A7rIII } . So that alone would not exclude the possibility, though given that so far m43 has not even got sensor options like BSI , I would not bet on a 32mp E-M5III .

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling:
It is not reason which is the guide of life, but custom. David Hume

 James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +8 more
CharlesB58 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,227
Re: 32 mp really?
9

"End of its cycle" is marketing speak for "you must buy the next camera because you don't know how to get the optimum results from the "old" one you have.

-- hide signature --

Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed. Quote by Garry Winogrand
http://ikkensimages.com

tpani
tpani Regular Member • Posts: 275
Re: 32 mp really?
5

Does anyone know if Sony actually has a mFt 32 mp sensor?

The only companies buying MFT sensors are Olympus, Panasonic and maybe some smaller camera manufacturer. If the biggest of these companies want to buy a 32 MP MFT sensor, Sony will certainly sell them one. Putting more megapixels in a sensor per se is not a big deal. Putting 32 MP in an MFT sensor is exactly as hard or easy as putting 32 MP in a 35 mm sensor. The issues in both cases are exactly the same: more pixels -> slower read-out (impacting AF, video, high-speed shooting). Speeding up read-out increases complexity and cost of sensor. If somebody is happy to pay for that, Sony will certainly deliver. The rocket science here is doing things without increasing cost too much.

So, the credibility of a rumor of an MFT camera with 32 MP sensor is not made any less credible by the fact that no manufacturer has been selling anybody a 32 MP sensor before. Only quite recently no 20 MP MFT sensor existed either, because nobody had an MFT product with a 20 MP sensor.

jsaras Contributing Member • Posts: 510
Re: 32 mp really?

That’s terrific.  Maybe the price of the 12 megapixel cameras will drop now to where I can get three of them.

-- hide signature --

Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

 jsaras's gear list:jsaras's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus PEN E-PL6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +10 more
BobT3218 Regular Member • Posts: 416
Re: 32 mp really?
3

justmeMN wrote:

Jeepit wrote:
Olympus E-M5III: To be announced in late summer/early autumn and maybe featuring a new 32MP Sony sensor

Releasing a 32MP E-M5III would undercut their 20MP E-M1X. I don't see why they would want to do that.

Yes, I'm actually holding off the E-MX1 for a better sensor.  However, by "better sensor" I don't necessarily mean more pixels.

 BobT3218's gear list:BobT3218's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus E-450 +3 more
iano Senior Member • Posts: 1,767
yes, really

tpani wrote:

Does anyone know if Sony actually has a mFt 32 mp sensor?

The only companies buying MFT sensors are Olympus, Panasonic and maybe some smaller camera manufacturer. If the biggest of these companies want to buy a 32 MP MFT sensor, Sony will certainly sell them one. Putting more megapixels in a sensor per se is not a big deal. Putting 32 MP in an MFT sensor is exactly as hard or easy as putting 32 MP in a 35 mm sensor. The issues in both cases are exactly the same: more pixels -> slower read-out (impacting AF, video, high-speed shooting). Speeding up read-out increases complexity and cost of sensor. If somebody is happy to pay for that, Sony will certainly deliver. The rocket science here is doing things without increasing cost too much.

So, the credibility of a rumor of an MFT camera with 32 MP sensor is not made any less credible by the fact that no manufacturer has been selling anybody a 32 MP sensor before. Only quite recently no 20 MP MFT sensor existed either, because nobody had an MFT product with a 20 MP sensor.

Sony does have the chip and wafer design, but not sure if they have ordered any samples from a fab yet.

As you say, handling 32mp of data is no different for different sensor sizes and every one from smart phones to medium format has produced sensors of 32MP or more.

When I say 'everyone' - perhaps not APS-C? Micro 4/3 is represented by the Sharp 8k micro 4/3 camera so far.

Since there are even 48MP smart phones sensors, and the Sharp is more than 32MP, then it is clear you can fit the pixels in the size and would not be pushing the limits compared to what has already been done.

You wont get the fast capture rates for sport and action though.

So at least a similar sensor is very likely, but other than it won't first appear in a sports/action cam, no saying where or when exactly.

 iano's gear list:iano's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +9 more
Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 6,948
Re: 32 mp really?
11

If you are looking at E-M1 cameras because you need something for shooting action, then there is no point waiting for E-M5 III. It will not be an action shooter.

You don’t buy D850 instead of D5 or A7R III instead of A9. Same here.

 Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
Pixnat2
Pixnat2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,767
Re: 32 mp really?

Astrotripper wrote:

If you are looking at E-M1 cameras because you need something for shooting action, then there is no point waiting for E-M5 III. It will not be an action shooter.

Exactly. Different cameras for different use.

An EM5.3 with 32Mpix would be great for landscapes

You don’t buy D850 instead of D5 or A7R III instead of A9. Same here.

-- hide signature --
 Pixnat2's gear list:Pixnat2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T2
Jouko Senior Member • Posts: 1,607
My quess
1

The 32 Mb sensor will show out first in the Oly EM1 mk3 - and it will be more aimed towards landscape and portrait shooters than sports; the difference between EM1 and EM1X line. Of course , the prosessors also will be developed to be faster and more powerfull, so we'll see. Maybe next year, maybe the year after.

The EM5 mk3 will have the 20Mb sensor, about the same as EM1mk2. Evaluation on the EM5 line, maybe can be seen as a downgraded Em1 mk2, smaller in size, with no PDAF, but maybe with some new innovations. in September?

Cheers!

Ps. I have no inside information...

Jouko
'The best camera in the world is the one you have with you when you need it'
https://www.instagram.com/jouko.k.lehto/
http://lehtokukka.smugmug.com/
http://jouko-lehto.artistwebsites.com/
https://joukolehto.blogspot.fi/ - Lenses for mFT-cameras
https://joukolehto.blogspot.fi/2015/12/what-to-dowith-camera-during-winter.html

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 38,941
I wouldn't trust the 32MP sensor thing...
7

the Jump from 20mp to 32MP at a m43rds size is a bit much.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 38,941
No way.
3

tpani wrote:

Does anyone know if Sony actually has a mFt 32 mp sensor?

The only companies buying MFT sensors are Olympus, Panasonic and maybe some smaller camera manufacturer. If the biggest of these companies want to buy a 32 MP MFT sensor, Sony will certainly sell them one. Putting more megapixels in a sensor per se is not a big deal. Putting 32 MP in an MFT sensor is exactly as hard or easy as putting 32 MP in a 35 mm sensor. The issues in both cases are exactly the same:

No, the issues are not exactly the same. You have to deal with a far bigger density in the smaller sized sensor. You have to deal with noise, cross talk, precision in micro mirrors, bunch of other things.  There's many other issues at play because of that density.

more pixels -> slower read-out (impacting AF, video, high-speed shooting). Speeding up read-out increases complexity and cost of sensor. If somebody is happy to pay for that, Sony will certainly deliver. The rocket science here is doing things without increasing cost too much.

So, the credibility of a rumor of an MFT camera with 32 MP sensor is not made any less credible by the fact that no manufacturer has been selling anybody a 32 MP sensor before. Only quite recently no 20 MP MFT sensor existed either, because nobody had an MFT product with a 20 MP sensor.

The 20 MP sensor is not "quite recently"- it's been around now for several years.  It will be challenging to crank the megapixels "just like that" as you portray.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 38,941
Re: yes, really

iano wrote:

tpani wrote:

Does anyone know if Sony actually has a mFt 32 mp sensor?

The only companies buying MFT sensors are Olympus, Panasonic and maybe some smaller camera manufacturer. If the biggest of these companies want to buy a 32 MP MFT sensor, Sony will certainly sell them one. Putting more megapixels in a sensor per se is not a big deal. Putting 32 MP in an MFT sensor is exactly as hard or easy as putting 32 MP in a 35 mm sensor. The issues in both cases are exactly the same: more pixels -> slower read-out (impacting AF, video, high-speed shooting). Speeding up read-out increases complexity and cost of sensor. If somebody is happy to pay for that, Sony will certainly deliver. The rocket science here is doing things without increasing cost too much.

So, the credibility of a rumor of an MFT camera with 32 MP sensor is not made any less credible by the fact that no manufacturer has been selling anybody a 32 MP sensor before. Only quite recently no 20 MP MFT sensor existed either, because nobody had an MFT product with a 20 MP sensor.

Sony does have the chip and wafer design, but not sure if they have ordered any samples from a fab yet.

As you say, handling 32mp of data is no different for different sensor sizes and every one from smart phones to medium format has produced sensors of 32MP or more.

When I say 'everyone' - perhaps not APS-C? Micro 4/3 is represented by the Sharp 8k micro 4/3 camera so far.

Since there are even 48MP smart phones sensors, and the Sharp is more than 32MP, then it is clear you can fit the pixels in the size and would not be pushing the limits compared to what has already been done.

We have to see what level of quality happens here.

You wont get the fast capture rates for sport and action though.

So at least a similar sensor is very likely, but other than it won't first appear in a sports/action cam, no saying where or when exactly.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Higgins2002
Higgins2002 Contributing Member • Posts: 568
Re: 32 mp really?
1

lunic wrote:

"Maybe".

Maybe a mere suggestion of Mirrorlessrumors.com's admin, based on a low-grade rumor suggesting that Sony would have developed a 32MP 4/3" chip.

(https://www.43rumors.com/ft1-sony-allegedly-has-made-a-new-32mp-mft-sensor/)

For now, Olympus have a plan to release a E-M5Ⅱ successor. It is the only positive thing and no details are known yet.

The "fake"picture on the rumor site seems to be 16:9 format maybe that is true for the real sensor.

So maybe it has the width of m43 sensor but not the hight, instead it is 16:9, 32MP for 8k video.

 Higgins2002's gear list:Higgins2002's gear list
Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7 III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more
cba_melbourne Senior Member • Posts: 1,011
Re: 32 mp really?
2

justmeMN wrote:

Jeepit wrote:
Olympus E-M5III: To be announced in late summer/early autumn and maybe featuring a new 32MP Sony sensor

Releasing a 32MP E-M5III would undercut their 20MP E-M1X. I don't see why they would want to do that.

Maybe to survive?

The EM1X is a one off run. It was the best technology they could offer early 2019. And it will serve its highly specialized owners well for many years to come. But in the grand scheme of things, it is not important enough to justify holding up progress of less expensive models.

 cba_melbourne's gear list:cba_melbourne's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
DeepSilence
DeepSilence Forum Member • Posts: 99
Re: 32 mp really?

Maybe Olympus is planning 32MP E-M1R for more than $ 2,000.

 DeepSilence's gear list:DeepSilence's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +2 more
bluevellet Senior Member • Posts: 2,958
Re: 32 mp really?
4

justmeMN wrote:

Jeepit wrote:
Olympus E-M5III: To be announced in late summer/early autumn and maybe featuring a new 32MP Sony sensor

Releasing a 32MP E-M5III would undercut their 20MP E-M1X. I don't see why they would want to do that.

Why do A9, D5, 1DX cameras exist when the companies who make these also make cameras with higher MP's but slower continuous drives? It's because they are cameras for different needs. There's absolutely no contradiction with a higher-MP m43 camera if that camera can not compete in the other area the EM1X/EM1II excell at: speed. In fact, part of the reason why they are faster is lower MP. Olympus has a history of udnercutting its own flagship cameras with cheaper, more-bang-for-the-buck models. Not always but often.

With that said, this EM5III thing is just a rumor.

Many in this forum would still argue Olympus is long overdue for a sensor refresh, regardless of the EM1X. The pro cameras may bring higher profit margins despite lower sales (and at 3000 dollars, no wonder), but people have been clamoring for an EM5III a long time, a large chunk of the Olympus faithful can potentially buy this camera, but just pushing more of the same at 16MP or a timid 20MP upgrade may not cut it.

I personally care more about dynamic range (and maximizing IQ at lower ISO's), but so far every MP increase in M43 has led to a bump in dynamic range, sometimes modest (16MP-20MP), sometimes huge (12MP-16MP) so I am hopeful. That bump is magnified when using HDR and hi-res modes too.

 bluevellet's gear list:bluevellet's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +16 more
onlyfreeman
onlyfreeman Senior Member • Posts: 1,563
E-M1.3 and E-M1.3R?

Could perhaps be in the flagship model, maybe two versions.

If it's in the E-M5.3 that would be AMAZING. I really wish that it is.

 onlyfreeman's gear list:onlyfreeman's gear list
YI M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro FastStone Photo Resizer +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads