Nikon Z advisory

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,086
Re: Nikon Z advisory

T O Shooter wrote:

inasir1971 wrote:

bocajrs wrote:

Well....for 1 I'm glad I didn't jump ship to the Z...new firmware meets new Nikon service advisory At least they aren't brushing it under the rug and is being addressed.

https://disq.us/url?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nikonusa.com%2Fen%2Fservice-and-support%2Fservice-advisories%2Ftechnical-service-advisory-for-users-of-the-nikon-z-6-and-z-7-cameras.html%3Ac7EDhsC7rHKTA8vCj0zprFBIezI&cuid=1931125

Kudos to Nikon. VR was not working as well as it is supposed to.

Most manufacturers would have simply said ‘within spec’ or ‘we continually improve our products’ if they said anything at all.

You chose to turn a blind eye to this.

Nikon was taken to task by the Chinese government on the D600 and Nikon lost a class action lawsuit on the D600.

They can either fix their screw ups or expect one or the other of the above again.

So you'll have to excuse me if I don't seem overly excited about Nikon "doing the right thing."

And "doing the right thing" is building it right in the first place.

True.

Have you seen today's news item...?

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2184303346/sony-pushes-firmware-updates-for-eight-of-its-cameras-to-improve-overall-stability

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +21 more
orlandophoto
orlandophoto Forum Member • Posts: 58

AZBlue wrote:

This is what happens when a product is rushed to market without adequate testing. Even the software is incomplete. Don't get mad if you own this, you knew what you were getting into as an early adopter.

In the meantime, I'm loving my flawless D850... πŸ˜‚

You do realize the "advisory" does not effect every Z camera...right?   Reviewing the input on the Z forum on this topic, 95% of the owners of a Z camera are not affected (i am not).  Not sure why another Nikon owner would take glee in this?

orlandophoto's gear list:orlandophoto's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 6,477

orlandophoto wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

This is what happens when a product is rushed to market without adequate testing. Even the software is incomplete. Don't get mad if you own this, you knew what you were getting into as an early adopter.

You do realize the "advisory" does not effect every Z camera...right? Reviewing the input on the Z forum on this topic, 95% of the owners of a Z camera are not affected (i am not). Not sure why another Nikon owner would take glee in this?

It's a mystery to me. So immature.

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5000 Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df +18 more
briantilley

orlandophoto wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

You do realize the "advisory" does not effect every Z camera...right? Reviewing the input on the Z forum on this topic, 95% of the owners of a Z camera are not affected (i am not). Not sure why another Nikon owner would take glee in this?

Mostly, I think it's just people seeking validation of their decision not to "go mirrorless".  It's all a bit sad, really.

Nikon Df Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +21 more
shadowfax123 Regular Member • Posts: 415

orlandophoto wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

I’m not sure why either. Their relentless use of the word beta tester is sickening.  The facts, Nikon’s first gen Zs are β€” with a few misstepsβ€”is a solid camera.

-- hide signature --

Please see profile for gear list...

shadowfax123's gear list:shadowfax123's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +26 more
NCB Contributing Member • Posts: 878

There's a thread on it on the Z forum. General feeling is that it's full marks to Nikon for acknowledging it and acting promptly.

It only seems to affect a small proportion of issued models and it's nothing to do with when you bought it; my Z6 arrived the day after it was officially released, and it's not affected. Seems that there was a substandard component in a small batch of IBIS modules; looks like the IBIS still works but it's not fully to spec. Judging from the thread those that have had their cameras recalled weren't aware of the problem.

NCB's gear list:NCB's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8400 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D3100 Nikon Df Nikon Z6
AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 2,286

orlandophoto wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Right, the advisory affects the early shipments. I referenced early adopters, didn't I? I take no glee in this, I'm simply pointing out the benefit of buying into something solid and proven versus something new and experimental. My comment is not specific to Z, it could also apply to Sony as well. ML cameras are just too new and have many weak points that make sense to those who are willing to take risks in order to be on the cutting edge. I, on the other hand, prefer to buy into proven technology. I generate an income with my gear, so I opt for what is proven reliable.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more

AZBlue wrote:

Nope, it's what happens anytime in the world of electronics; occasionally you can get a batch of substandard components. So long as the manufacturer deals with it pronto what's the problem?

Zs rushed to market? Nope, a very sound product. Having been one of the very first in the UK to have been supplied with a Z6, I've now had 6 months productive enjoyment out of it. As have others; try finding people complaining.

T O Shooter Veteran Member • Posts: 9,585

briantilley wrote:

orlandophoto wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Mostly, I think it's just people seeking validation of their decision not to "go mirrorless". It's all a bit sad, really.

Why does someone have to "go mirrorless"?  Why could it not simply be to buy a mirrorless body?

If the Z6 had hit all of the right buttons, I'd have bought one.  It did not.  I have no interest in replacing my D4s or D850 with anything mirrorless at this point.  My D500 could have went though.

And when you're referring to requiring validation, make note that I do my own validation.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he’s wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he’s right. - Bob Dylan

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more

NCB wrote:

There's a thread on it on the Z forum. General feeling is that it's full marks to Nikon for acknowledging it and acting promptly.

This is why Nikon acted promptly. NO other reason. Nikon changed after this and became proactive with the D750.

Nikon was taken to task by the Chinese government on the D600 and Nikon lost a class action lawsuit on the D600.

It only seems to affect a small proportion of issued models and it's nothing to do with when you bought it; my Z6 arrived the day after it was officially released, and it's not affected. Seems that there was a substandard component in a small batch of IBIS modules; looks like the IBIS still works but it's not fully to spec. Judging from the thread those that have had their cameras recalled weren't aware of the problem.

-- hide signature --

He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he’s wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he’s right. - Bob Dylan

AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 2,286

NCB wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Nope, it's what happens anytime in the world of electronics; occasionally you can get a batch of substandard components. So long as the manufacturer deals with it pronto what's the problem?

Zs rushed to market? Nope, a very sound product. Having been one of the very first in the UK to have been supplied with a Z6, I've now had 6 months productive enjoyment out of it. As have others; try finding people complaining.

PLENTY of complaints about the product. In almost every online review. Shortcomings left and right. But that's okay, that's expected and par for the course with a first launch. Nikon will get better. But let's not pretend that it's some great, fantastic, flawless product. It isn't. Only to those who own it and are engaging in confirmation bias.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
briantilley

T O Shooter wrote:

briantilley wrote:

orlandophoto wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Mostly, I think it's just people seeking validation of their decision not to "go mirrorless". It's all a bit sad, really.

Why does someone have to "go mirrorless"? Why could it not simply be to buy a mirrorless body?

Let me put it a different way, then - it's mostly people wanting to demonstrate how prescient they were in not being an early adopter of the Z system.

If the Z6 had hit all of the right buttons, I'd have bought one. It did not. I have no interest in replacing my D4s or D850 with anything mirrorless at this point. My D500 could have went though.

And when you're referring to requiring validation, make note that I do my own validation.

Doesn't disguise the fact that Nikon have done a good job on this.

And I suspect you've no grounds for claiming that it is ONLY the Chinese action which has prompted this. Could be simply that Nikon revamped its approach to customer support, along with the other revamps it has been engaged in over the last couple of years. If so, very wise of it.

AZBlue wrote:

NCB wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

PLENTY of complaints about the product. In almost every online review. Shortcomings left and right. But that's okay, that's expected and par for the course with a first launch. Nikon will get better. But let's not pretend that it's some great, fantastic, flawless product. It isn't. Only to those who own it and are engaging in confirmation bias.

No products are flawless. But very few complaints about the product from PEOPLE WHO HAVE ACTUALLY BOUGHT IT.  If you want to judge things just by online reviews that's up to you. Me, I went by the spec sheet plus a distillation of what matters to me from the better reviewers.

The Z6 (plus the 24-70 f4 lens) is a fine product, in my experience. Seems to me there's sour grapes from some of who didn't buy and now want to justify that. It's wholly valid and understandable for someone to say the D850 is more their sort of camera; it's a joke complaining that those who bought and like a Z camera are just engaged in confirmation bias.

NCB wrote:

Doesn't disguise the fact that Nikon have done a good job on this.

And I suspect you've no grounds for claiming that it is ONLY the Chinese action which has prompted this.

And the class action lawsuit Nikon lost.

A bit of incentive in this I'd say.

https://www.slrlounge.com/settlement-reached-nikon-d600-class-action-lawsuit-offers-new-d610/

Could be simply that Nikon revamped its approach to customer support, along with the other revamps it has been engaged in over the last couple of years. If so, very wise of it.

In a naive world only that happens.

-- hide signature --

NCB wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

NCB wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

No products are flawless. But very few complaints about the product from PEOPLE WHO HAVE ACTUALLY BOUGHT IT. If you want to judge things just by online reviews that's up to you. Me, I went by the spec sheet plus a distillation of what matters to me from the better reviewers.

The Z6 (plus the 24-70 f4 lens) is a fine product, in my experience. Seems to me there's sour grapes from some of who didn't buy and now want to justify that.

That makes zero sense. How do you justify NOT buying???? There was no "I missed the boat" on buying a Z6 or Z7. I can walk into a camera store any day of the week and buy one.

Not only that but I can now buy a Z7 for $1100.95 less then I could a couple of weeks ago. And a 13% tax saving on the $1100.95 beside that. And now they've sweetened the deal.  They'll throw in a $349.95 FTZ adapter. + another 13% tax saving. That's a $1640.00 saving, which if prices keep falling, I can own a Z7 and Z6 for what two weeks ago would only buy me a Z7.

I can't recall seeing a D850 price drop when it was a year old that would have bought me a D750.

http://www.cameracanada.com/products/productdetail.aspx?pid=34300

It's wholly valid and understandable for someone to say the D850 is more their sort of camera; it's a joke complaining that those who bought and like a Z camera are just engaged in confirmation bias.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 17,469

briantilley wrote:

A quote from Nikon Owner Edition 64 from a Nikon SLR/DSLR owner after purchasing a Z7 "A very different way of taking photographs, not better not worse, but one that instils an alternative approach which has inspired my photography".

There is a lot of truth in this, especially "the very different way of taking photographs".

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +24 more
G Master Junior Member • Posts: 43
Nail manicure

The most annoyance from the Z twins is the rubber hand grip falling to bits and peeling off. Only with a few weeks of use and it’s been widely reported to happen. Nikon fans are blaming the user for not having short nails or monthly nail manicures. I’m glade I didn’t follow the herds over to Z either.

G Master's gear list:G Master's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited
briantilley

T O Shooter wrote:

NCB wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

NCB wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

No products are flawless. But very few complaints about the product from PEOPLE WHO HAVE ACTUALLY BOUGHT IT. If you want to judge things just by online reviews that's up to you. Me, I went by the spec sheet plus a distillation of what matters to me from the better reviewers.

The Z6 (plus the 24-70 f4 lens) is a fine product, in my experience. Seems to me there's sour grapes from some of who didn't buy and now want to justify that.

That makes zero sense. How do you justify NOT buying???? There was no "I missed the boat" on buying a Z6 or Z7. I can walk into a camera store any day of the week and buy one.

Not only that but I can now buy a Z7 for $1100.95 less then I could a couple of weeks ago. And a 13% tax saving on the $1100.95 beside that. And now they've sweetened the deal. They'll throw in a $349.95 FTZ adapter. + another 13% tax saving. That's a $1640.00 saving, which if prices keep falling, I can own a Z7 and Z6 for what two weeks ago would only buy me a Z7.

Thereby proving my point - people wanting to show how smart they were not to buy a Z camera on day one

I can't recall seeing a D850 price drop when it was a year old that would have bought me a D750.

http://www.cameracanada.com/products/productdetail.aspx?pid=34300

It's wholly valid and understandable for someone to say the D850 is more their sort of camera; it's a joke complaining that those who bought and like a Z camera are just engaged in confirmation bias.

Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 17,469
Re: Nail manicure

G Master wrote:

The most annoyance from the Z twins is the rubber hand grip falling to bits and peeling off. Only with a few weeks of use and it’s been widely reported to happen.

"Widely reported" and actual numbers may be different.

While I have never had a problem of this type (or a loose "rubber" lens cover) in 50 years of using SLR's and DSLR's some report these problems with Nikon DSLR's and Nikon Lenses.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads