Nikon Z advisory

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
bocajrs
bocajrs Senior Member • Posts: 2,426
Nikon Z advisory

Well....for 1 I'm glad I didn't jump ship to the Z...new firmware meets new Nikon service advisory At least they aren't brushing it under the rug and is being addressed.

https://disq.us/url?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nikonusa.com%2Fen%2Fservice-and-support%2Fservice-advisories%2Ftechnical-service-advisory-for-users-of-the-nikon-z-6-and-z-7-cameras.html%3Ac7EDhsC7rHKTA8vCj0zprFBIezI&cuid=1931125

bocajrs's gear list:bocajrs's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Samsung Galaxy Note9 +1 more
T O Shooter Veteran Member • Posts: 9,716
Re: Nikon Z advisory

bocajrs wrote:

Well....for 1 I'm glad I didn't jump ship to the Z...new firmware meets new Nikon service advisory At least they aren't brushing it under the rug and is being addressed.

https://disq.us/url?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nikonusa.com%2Fen%2Fservice-and-support%2Fservice-advisories%2Ftechnical-service-advisory-for-users-of-the-nikon-z-6-and-z-7-cameras.html%3Ac7EDhsC7rHKTA8vCj0zprFBIezI&cuid=1931125

Probably still nervous from the Chinese government and that D600 class action lawsuit.

I'm surprised on the advisory though, as I thought the Zees were all golden. 

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he’s wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he’s right. - Bob Dylan

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 13,335

Looks to be early units.  My Z, bought a month after release, is unaffected.  I entered an earlier serial number just to see and it was listed as affected.

I'm a pre-order guy.  This time around it paid off to wait a bit I guess.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +30 more
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,243

Didn't they create a new forum for Z camera discussions...?

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +21 more

briantilley wrote:

I'm surprised you weren't aware of the Z forum. Anyway.............

Potential future buyers trying to discuss and decide without too many fanboys clouding the discussion.

As far as I know, none of the members of the Z forum even noticed it, so not a hell of a lot of help there.

-- hide signature --

He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he’s wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he’s right. - Bob Dylan

bocajrs
OP bocajrs Senior Member • Posts: 2,426

briantilley wrote:

Yes they did..and...just keeping my fellows FX shooters informed

bocajrs's gear list:bocajrs's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Samsung Galaxy Note9 +1 more
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,243

T O Shooter wrote:

As far as I know, none of the members of the Z forum even noticed it, so not a hell of a lot of help there.

The Z service advisory was posted over there earlier today:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4393517

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +21 more
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 11,041
Always best to wait ...

.. four or five years whenever a new piece of kit comes out. That way others can be the unremunerated beta testers and pay the premium purchase prices ...

briantilley wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

The Z service advisory was posted over there earlier today:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4393517

I meant notice the problem, not notice the advisory.

-- hide signature --

Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 6,712

briantilley wrote:

Threads ripping the Zs are acceptable here. Threads complimenting them are not.

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5000 Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df +18 more

Mackiesback wrote:

briantilley wrote:

Exact opposite of the Z forum.

And no one is ripping the Z.  But hey - it's a recall. ( yeah I know "advisory" )  Considering Nikon DSLR owners are the only ones buying Zees (mainly), it's good to keep abreast of how it's going.

-- hide signature --

ClosePhoto Regular Member • Posts: 133

No need to discuss this in the Z forum, they're aware of what they have. Here, it's a reminder not to be a beta tester.

And who would like to bet this is only the first round of recalls. Nikon has a tendency to keep expanding them in waves. Perhaps to manage the rush of repair jobs from all coming in at once.

What sticking out to me are all the users suddenly talking about problems with 'tearing' and 'jumping' images. It's like they didn't want to discuss those problems until the recall made it ok to bring up.

Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 17,638

ClosePhoto wrote:

No need to discuss this in the Z forum, they're aware of what they have. Here, it's a reminder not to be a beta tester.

What about the D750 - how long did you have to wait before not being a "beta tester" ? 

When my Z7 goes in I expect 3.5 days door to door for the repair, a free sensor clean and a free service check after a few thousand shutter activations.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +24 more
inasir1971
inasir1971 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,705

bocajrs wrote:

Kudos to Nikon. VR was not working as well as it is supposed to.

Most manufacturers would have simply said ‘within spec’ or ‘we continually improve our products’ if they said anything at all.

inasir1971's gear list:inasir1971's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 11,041
Five years

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

ClosePhoto wrote:

What about the D750 - how long did you have to wait before not being a "beta tester" ?

Well Leonard, I can't speak for ClosePhoto but in my case I bought my D750 only this year. The camera came out, when, 2014? So that makes five years.

I believe there were indeed problems (flare?) with the early models but happily, all those beta testers found the problem for me. The D750 is indeed now a lovely camera.

Stan Disbrow Veteran Member • Posts: 3,647

Hi,

Everyone who bought a D1 for $5k was a beta tester for the D1H, at which point we paid the $5k again.

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Once you start down the DSLR path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume
your bank account, it will! Like mine, it did!

Stan Disbrow's gear list:Stan Disbrow's gear list
Kodak DCS520 Kodak DCS760 Nikon D1H Nikon Df Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM +22 more
Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 6,712

T O Shooter wrote:

Mackiesback wrote:

briantilley wrote:

Exact opposite of the Z forum.

Not "exact". Most there owns and uses both, rather than going on rants about never adopting.

And no one is ripping the Z. But hey - it's a recall. ( yeah I know "advisory" ) Considering Nikon DSLR owners are the only ones buying Zees (mainly), it's good to keep abreast of how it's going.

Fair enough.

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5000 Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df +18 more
orlandophoto
orlandophoto Forum Member • Posts: 59
Re: Five years

David Lal wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

ClosePhoto wrote:

Well Leonard, I can't speak for ClosePhoto but in my case I bought my D750 only this year. The camera came out, when, 2014? So that makes five years.

I believe there were indeed problems (flare?) with the early models but happily, all those beta testers found the problem for me. The D750 is indeed now a lovely camera.

Great, we will see you over in the Z forum in 5 years

I had a D750 for years, it is a great camera.  But as others pointed out, it had problems when it was introduced.   I have not had the Z6 long enough to say it's better, worse or equal to the D750.   But I do like prefer using the EVF over the OVF.

orlandophoto's gear list:orlandophoto's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 2,313

This is what happens when a product is rushed to market without adequate testing. Even the software is incomplete. Don't get mad if you own this, you knew what you were getting into as an early adopter.

In the meantime, I'm loving my flawless D850... 😂

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more

inasir1971 wrote:

bocajrs wrote:

Kudos to Nikon. VR was not working as well as it is supposed to.

Most manufacturers would have simply said ‘within spec’ or ‘we continually improve our products’ if they said anything at all.

You chose to turn a blind eye to this.

Nikon was taken to task by the Chinese government on the D600 and Nikon lost a class action lawsuit on the D600.

They can either fix their screw ups or expect one or the other of the above again.

So you'll have to excuse me if I don't seem overly excited about Nikon "doing the right thing."

And "doing the right thing" is building it right in the first place.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads