New updates for Sony cameras (3.01 not 3.00) released

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Entropy512 Senior Member • Posts: 4,168
Re: No, it was still 3.00 (n/t)

voronspb wrote:

- that does not help the argument.

However the fact that the A6400 (modern non-IBIS body) was left out rules out the most likely alternative explanation (addressing the recent Linux remote code execution vulnerability)

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Re: New updates for Sony cameras (3.01 not 3.00) released

voronspb wrote:

jonpais wrote:

Thing is, none of us are experiencing this problem. It's not for IBIS- stability refers to the general functioning of the camera. haha If I heard that noise, I'd return the camera pronto.

Several facts:

1. All current IBIS-equipped Sony models are listed.
  2. No camera without IBIS is listed.
  3. Even the long forgotten cameras like A99II and A7II received this update.
  4. This is the first firmware update ever for A99II.

There's very strong evidence saying us 2 things:

1. This update is related to IBIS and none else. (Otherwise the list of cameras would be different and/or the description wouldn't be copy-pasted for different cameras.)
  2. This update solves the problem big enough to require fixing even in really old cameras, including the one which never received any update.

Interesting concurrence: this update has appeared 2 weeks after I reported the above mentioned IBIS problem to Sony, and fixing my problem was done in 1 business day, which points to firmware update and none else.

Of note:

It appears that Sony rebuilt the Linux kernel for the ILCE-9 5.01 update (according to Alexander Gee on SAR, there is a new kernel image), but it also appears that this rebuild either:

1) Did not contain any source code changes

or

2) Sony is violating the GPL with this release

Nearly all of their camera products at http://oss.sony.net/Products/Linux/DI/category01.html#ca3 only have a single source code release (the major ILCE-9 5.00 is one of the few exceptions) - so they are either not changing the OSS components with anything more than a rebuild, or they are not updating source code in accordance with the license of said source code.

Side note - a general theme is that any body which lacks PMCA support no longer contains webkit as an OSS component.

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

rgwaller1
rgwaller1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,492

My A6500 starts up faster than before. I have not tested my A9 out since update and my A7R3 AF faster.

rgwaller1's gear list:rgwaller1's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-95 Sony RX10 IV Sony a6500 Sony a9 Sony a7R III +13 more
rgwaller1
Re: The update bring back the 3rd party battery message or not?

in Mass Storage make sure you are on USB and not MTP or you will get this message.

vpilot
vpilot Regular Member • Posts: 480

Are you sure?
How much faster?
How did you measure it?
vpilot

vpilot's gear list:vpilot's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony a7R II Sony a6300 Sony a7 III Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +10 more
rgwaller1

Yes I am sure. Before when I turned it on I would have a black screen for a half second. Now when I turn it own it is almost instant loading screen. I can not go back and check the time now since the update but I will go to Best Buy and my friend there and I will test it against one in the store and try to record the difference..

RondaArouseMe
RondaArouseMe Regular Member • Posts: 211

My a7ii seems to start faster and the focusing seems very quick to me but to be honest I never had an issue with the focusing speed.

RondaArouseMe's gear list:RondaArouseMe's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a7 II Canon EOS RP Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM +2 more
bceye Forum Member • Posts: 75

jonpais wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

voronspb wrote:

jonpais wrote:

voronspb wrote:

nebulla wrote:

stability could mean anything

In the first place it means "we really don't want you to know".

It’s a conspiracy.

And they basically don't tell us what the problem is.

They did. Camera stability issues.

🤙 the update also increases low light performance, reduces dust build up on sensor, improves dynamic range, extends shutter longevity by 100,000 actuations and improves eye AF speed by .03 milliseconds.

I checked mine, and I am only seeing 0.015 ms improvement in the AF speed after the firmware update. Do I have a dud? Should I return it?

bceye wrote:

jonpais wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

voronspb wrote:

jonpais wrote:

voronspb wrote:

nebulla wrote:

stability could mean anything

In the first place it means "we really don't want you to know".

It’s a conspiracy.

And they basically don't tell us what the problem is.

They did. Camera stability issues.

🤙 the update also increases low light performance, reduces dust build up on sensor, improves dynamic range, extends shutter longevity by 100,000 actuations and improves eye AF speed by .03 milliseconds.

I checked mine, and I am only seeing 0.015 ms improvement in the AF speed after the firmware update. Do I have a dud? Should I return it?

LOL.

(actual lens command and control loop runs at 60 Hz, so minimum latency is 16.6666 ms and has 16.6666 ms increments in terms of actual potential response time.

-- hide signature --

PWPhotography Senior Member • Posts: 7,468

just returned from a two-week vacation.  Upgraded both A7r III and A9 last night to the latest FW without any issues.  As I have done for a while, I upgraded in the virtual Win10 1809 x64 running on iMac 5K.

Will shoot a wedding on Sunday with both cameras and will not expect any issues.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads