New updates for Sony cameras (3.01 not 3.00) released

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
RondaArouseMe
RondaArouseMe Regular Member • Posts: 213
Re: The update bring back the 3rd party battery message or not?

Magnar W wrote:

RondaArouseMe wrote:

Is there another way to update other than USB? I can never connect to mass storage.

I just get the notice "check connecting device" on my A7ii.

Try using the cable that came with the camera or a different usb cable. Not all cables have the needed connectors. Also be sure the camera is set to "mass storage" by the menu.

I dont have that cable that came with it, just the one that was sent with the camera when i bought it used. Doesn't the one that came with the camera say Sony on it? This one doesn't.

Camera is set to Mass Storage

RondaArouseMe's gear list:RondaArouseMe's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a7 II Canon EOS RP Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM +2 more
Magnar W
Magnar W Senior Member • Posts: 4,033

RondaArouseMe wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

RondaArouseMe wrote:

Is there another way to update other than USB? I can never connect to mass storage.

Try using the cable that came with the camera or a different usb cable. Not all cables have the needed connectors. Also be sure the camera is set to "mass storage" by the menu.

I dont have that cable that came with it, just the one that was sent with the camera when i bought it used. Doesn't the one that came with the camera say Sony on it? This one doesn't.

No Sony label on the original cable.

Be sure to use a cable that is not only for charging.

Should be good!

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
RondaArouseMe

Magnar W wrote:

RondaArouseMe wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

RondaArouseMe wrote:

Should be good!

It's the same cable that does charge the camera but its not working. I pulled it out and tried 3 other micro usb cables and same message "check connected device"

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a7 II Canon EOS RP Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM +2 more
brick33308
brick33308 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,372

Magnar W wrote:

RondaArouseMe wrote:

and take your sd cards out the camera. also, don't plug the usb cable into a usb hub, plug it directly into an available slot on your laptop/desktop.

araudan
araudan Contributing Member • Posts: 548

RondaArouseMe wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

RondaArouseMe wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

RondaArouseMe wrote:

Should be good!

It's the same cable that does charge the camera but its not working. I pulled it out and tried 3 other micro usb cables and same message "check connected device"

If the cables you have aren't working you may need to purchase another one.  I have a cable from Amazon basics.  It worked fine. AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to Micro B Cable (2 Pack), 3 feet   The link is to the Canadian Amazon site but I'm sure the US site would have it as well.

Only other thing I can think to ask is if you've tried using another USB port?

-- hide signature --

Dan

AZheaven Regular Member • Posts: 424

Monoprice has the best cables and price around. High quality. I buy all my A/V wires from them.

aSevenArr
aSevenArr Senior Member • Posts: 1,485
Re: New updates for Sony cameras (3.01 not 3.00) released

theoverratedphotog wrote:

Sony a9 Firmware update version 5.01
Sony a7R III Firmware update version 3.01
Sony a7 III Firmware update version 3.01
Sony a7R II Firmware update version 4.01
Sony a7S II Firmware update version 3.01
Sony a7 II Firmware update version 4.01
Sony a6500 Firmware update version 1.06
Sony a99 II Firmware update version 1.01

https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/support/cameras-camcorders?fbclid=IwAR35hpdP_mlJklkwnzAzVNXCfJxTsUi0Wp0k_

Just as I had predicted, at least for my A9.

These are almost certainly bug fixes so you should install a.s.a.p if you are using 5.0 (you never want to be on the ‘.0’ version of anything )

It’s clear that v5.0 still has a few ‘rough edges’ and that v6 won’t be ready for a while yet.

aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R Sony a9 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +13 more
dev84 Forum Member • Posts: 93
Level

Hello

Updated to 3.01 with a7m3.

Can't confirm it, but i think that with newest firmware the level on screen is visually more precise.

And what i mean by that it changes position on middle by one pixel not as one entire bar always.

Is this new and i didn't notice this before? hmmm, i use it always.

I think it moved as entire bar before update, please can someone with 3.00 check this.

Thank You

Pawel

Joe Tam Senior Member • Posts: 1,080

I use anker usb and it worked.

Magnar W wrote:

RondaArouseMe wrote:

Joe Tam's gear list:Joe Tam's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a9 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +9 more
RondaArouseMe

brick33308 wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

RondaArouseMe wrote:

and take your sd cards out the camera. also, don't plug the usb cable into a usb hub, plug it directly into an available slot on your laptop/desktop.

Bingo. it was the fact I had an SD card in.

updating now.

Many thanks!

aSevenArr
aSevenArr Senior Member • Posts: 1,485
Re: Installed on my A9 v5.01 - no obvious problems

aSevenArr wrote:

theoverratedphotog wrote:

Sony a9 Firmware update version 5.01
Sony a7R III Firmware update version 3.01
Sony a7 III Firmware update version 3.01
Sony a7R II Firmware update version 4.01
Sony a7S II Firmware update version 3.01
Sony a7 II Firmware update version 4.01
Sony a6500 Firmware update version 1.06
Sony a99 II Firmware update version 1.01

https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/support/cameras-camcorders?fbclid=IwAR35hpdP_mlJklkwnzAzVNXCfJxTsUi0Wp0k_

Just as I had predicted, at least for my A9.

These are almost certainly bug fixes so you should install a.s.a.p if you are using 5.0 (you never want to be on the ‘.0’ version of anything )

It’s clear that v5.0 still has a few ‘rough edges’ and that v6 won’t be ready for a while yet.

So v5.01 is now installed on my A9... so far it looks fine if anyone is concerned or worried.

aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R Sony a9 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +13 more
TX4716 New Member • Posts: 6

araudan wrote:

RondaArouseMe wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

RondaArouseMe wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

RondaArouseMe wrote:

Should be good!

If the cables you have aren't working you may need to purchase another one. I have a cable from Amazon basics. It worked fine. AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to Micro B Cable (2 Pack), 3 feet The link is to the Canadian Amazon site but I'm sure the US site would have it as well.

Try to use a POWERED USB hub to connect computer with Sony camera. It will solve the issue.

brick33308
brick33308 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,372

I’d TX4716 wrote:

araudan wrote:

RondaArouseMe wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

RondaArouseMe wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

RondaArouseMe wrote:

Should be good!

If the cables you have aren't working you may need to purchase another one. I have a cable from Amazon basics. It worked fine. AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to Micro B Cable (2 Pack), 3 feet The link is to the Canadian Amazon site but I'm sure the US site would have it as well.

Try to use a POWERED USB hub to connect computer with Sony camera. It will solve the issue.

I would skip the hub altogether, and just plug directly into one of the USB ports on the laptop or desktop

Pictures shooter
Pictures shooter Regular Member • Posts: 110
Re: Feels better in my hands

DoctorKajita wrote:

The firmware really made the camera feel more stable in my hands. I can now hold it with more confidence; something 3.00 didn't address. Good job, Sony.

Oh, yea! Now I feel the same too.
After upgrade, the camera is sitting much better in my hand. Ergonomics definitely has been improved - the camera is getting better balanced with most of my lenses.
And the most secret info only for the forum members...
There is a leak that Sony lenses total software upgrade is coming soon and it must revolutionary improve optical rendering.
We'll get an incredible combination of fantastic sharpness and outstanding bokeh.
Sony newest unique algorithm based on high-speed computation by camera processor will provide bokeh looking amazingly gentle and silk even for inexpensive lenses.

Pictures shooter's gear list:Pictures shooter's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic G85 Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +13 more
Rachael P
Rachael P Regular Member • Posts: 401

JayRayMe wrote:

barnyz wrote:

stability as in IBIS or stability as in less crashy and prone to locking up?

With a .01 version: my (educated) guess is bug correction

having had a few lockups on A7Riii, I am hoping that is what it means too...

Rachael P's gear list:Rachael P's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R III Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +2 more
Rachael P

Dirk W wrote:

I tried it on the A6500, no animal eye AF, no automatic eye af, you still need to press an extra button for eye af when face recognition is enabled - JUST WHYYYYY?????

I get all of those on the A7Riii? (with 3.00, still there in 3.01 :-))

Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R III Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +2 more
Rachael P

RondaArouseMe wrote:

I went round this route several times before I discovered I needed to turn "Control with Smartphone" off first.

RondaArouseMe

Rachael P wrote:

RondaArouseMe wrote:

I went round this route several times before I discovered I needed to turn "Control with Smartphone" off first.

I figured it out. It was the SD card needs to be out of the camera first.

However the backup to smartphone feature is one id like to turn off because it keeps going into that mode every time I turn the camera off.

fjbyrne
fjbyrne Veteran Member • Posts: 8,346
Re: When has Sony intentionally broken 3rd party lenses?

jaqob wrote:

chromek wrote:

EDIT: Anyway it's good to see some love for older bodies.

I'm not so sure that love is the main reason for this. I would be a bit careful if I used anything third-party, such as lenses, batteries or flashes...

I get the battery thing but why do you mention lenses and flashes?  When has Sony broken 3rd party E-mount lenses or even 3rd party A-mount lenses?

-- hide signature --

Rick

fjbyrne's gear list:fjbyrne's gear list
Sony a7 III Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony a6000 +10 more
nebulla Senior Member • Posts: 1,337

Magnar W wrote:

Earlier: Sony never updates firmware!
Now: New firmware? Why!

And what has the firmware fixed? A lot of users are predicting that it has something to do with stabilization, but stability could mean anything.  Has anyone seen any kind of improvement with the new version? and if so , what.

nebulla's gear list:nebulla's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Olympus E-M1 II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads