New updates for Sony cameras (3.01 not 3.00) released

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
araudan
araudan Contributing Member • Posts: 552
Re: The update bring back the 3rd party battery message or not?

Updated my A7II.  Everything looks okay so far.  Tested with Godox TT350 and that works well.

-- hide signature --

Dan

voronspb Senior Member • Posts: 1,120
No, it was still 3.00 (n/t)

No text.

voronspb's gear list:voronspb's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a6300 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +5 more
eno2 Regular Member • Posts: 178
My third party batteries still work perfectly

I've just installed the new firmware 3.01 on my A7III cameras. Everything seams to be in order and all my third party batteries still work perfectly (like before).

phototeacher Contributing Member • Posts: 938
Re: Firmware 3.01 breaks the 29:59 min video limit!

caterpillar wrote:

Just tested it and it with my A7-iii. The latest firmware is not just about stability (though I did not experience that with v3.00). For videographers, it breaks the 30min video limit.

Well, I can vouch for the A7-iii at least as it is what I have. I am sure it will be true for other models as well.

Right now, I am shooting continuously and I am at almost 35min straight shooting!

Well, that seems to be more than a 'stability' improvement; wonder why Sony isn't touting this new feature/change in its description of the update?

jshute New Member • Posts: 3
Re: New updates for Sony cameras (3.01 not 3.00) released

So..... a7M3 with 3.01

Camera with OEM battery = no battery message
Camera & grip (Vello BG-56) with Sony OEM battery in EITHER position and 3rd party battery(SmilePowo) = No battery message

Camera & grip (Vello BG-56) with two 3rd party battery (SmilePowo) = battery message
Camera with 3rd party battery(SmilePowo) = battery message

eno2 Regular Member • Posts: 178

I have Power Trust third party battery's and I get no battery message what so ever, either if using them directly in camera or in third party grip.

jshute New Member • Posts: 3

Interesting that there are differences between the 3rd party batteries. Not surprised though....

DoctorKajita
DoctorKajita Contributing Member • Posts: 520
Feels better in my hands

The firmware really made the camera feel more stable in my hands. I can now hold it with more confidence; something 3.00 didn't address. Good job, Sony.

-- hide signature --
 DoctorKajita's gear list:DoctorKajita's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar +2 more
Magnar W
Magnar W Senior Member • Posts: 4,034
Re: Feels better in my hands

DoctorKajita wrote:

The firmware really made the camera feel more stable in my hands. I can now hold it with more confidence; something 3.00 didn't address. Good job, Sony.

Hardware, software and mentalware!

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 Zeiss Loxia 85mm F2.4 +2 more
FFProductions New Member • Posts: 9

caterpillar wrote:

Just tested it and it with my A7-iii. The latest firmware is not just about stability (though I did not experience that with v3.00). For videographers, it breaks the 30min video limit.

Well, I can vouch for the A7-iii at least as it is what I have. I am sure it will be true for other models as well.

Right now, I am shooting continuously and I am at almost 35min straight shooting!

Man are you making this up?  Just put 3.01 on A7III and shot 1080 and it stopped at 30.  Please post a pic of your clock.

DoctorKajita
DoctorKajita Contributing Member • Posts: 520

Magnar W wrote:

DoctorKajita wrote:

Hardware, software and mentalware!

-- hide signature --
 DoctorKajita's gear list:DoctorKajita's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar +2 more
voronspb Senior Member • Posts: 1,120

FFProductions wrote:

Man are you making this up? Just put 3.01 on A7III and shot 1080 and it stopped at 30. Please post a pic of your clock.

Mine has just stopped at 30 min. too. FHD 30p 16M.

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov

voronspb's gear list:voronspb's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a6300 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +5 more
liork Regular Member • Posts: 180

FFProductions wrote:

caterpillar wrote:

Man are you making this up? Just put 3.01 on A7III and shot 1080 and it stopped at 30. Please post a pic of your clock.

This is just another story from "One Thousand and One Nights"

Alantkh Regular Member • Posts: 309

bayindirh wrote:

Alantkh wrote:

voronspb wrote:

This update is obviously IBIS-related. The list of affected cameras matches the list of IBIS-equipped cameras.

Probably this is somehow related to my problem with IBIS on A7III camera :

If it's true, I'd recommend upgrading all IBIS-equipped cameras ASAP.

I switched from Sony 35mm to sigma 40mm and noticed a lot more motion blur shots....

do u guys feel ibis is not as effective on sigma lens?

Did you try to set IBIS manually to 40mm and test that way? also what are the shooting parameters in each lens? Aperture/Shutter/ISO?

No, it’s a native E-Mount sigma lens, I would expect the focal length to be passed through.

i suspect the firmware has to deal with some new lens compatibility issue with ibis, else they won’t update such old cameras together.

SilvanBromide Senior Member • Posts: 3,743

DoctorKajita wrote:

So the crucial question this prompts is what firmware version are your hands running?!

And... Can we get a copy to post online so that all the people who complain about haptics and ergonomics can be directed to a download link!! ; )

-- hide signature --

Former Canon, Nikon and Pentax user.
Online Gallery: https://500px.com/raycologon

SilvanBromide's gear list:SilvanBromide's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony a6500 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +31 more
ajstock New Member • Posts: 4

My camera (S/N 3386083) and others have had this same shuddering problem on the right hand side of the viewfinder. Precision Camera replaced both my image sensor and image stabilizer under warranty.

Thinh Phu New Member • Posts: 1

Dirk W wrote:

I tried it on the A6500, no animal eye AF, no automatic eye af, you still need to press an extra button for eye af when face recognition is enabled - JUST WHYYYYY?????

You need to activate animal eye AF in the menu. Check out how to do it here https://camerajabber.com/sony-animal-eye-af-how-it-works-and-why-it-matters/ and enjoy.

liork Regular Member • Posts: 180

Thinh Phu wrote:

Dirk W wrote:

I tried it on the A6500, no animal eye AF, no automatic eye af, you still need to press an extra button for eye af when face recognition is enabled - JUST WHYYYYY?????

You need to activate animal eye AF in the menu. Check out how to do it here https://camerajabber.com/sony-animal-eye-af-how-it-works-and-why-it-matters/ and enjoy.

The a6500 does not have Animal eye AF, he was joking.

RondaArouseMe
RondaArouseMe Regular Member • Posts: 213

Is there another way to update other than USB? I can never connect to mass storage.

I just get the notice "check connecting device" on my A7ii.

RondaArouseMe's gear list:RondaArouseMe's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a7 II Canon EOS RP Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +2 more
Magnar W
Magnar W Senior Member • Posts: 4,034

RondaArouseMe wrote:

Is there another way to update other than USB? I can never connect to mass storage.

I just get the notice "check connecting device" on my A7ii.

Try using the cable that came with the camera or a different usb cable. Not all cables have the needed connectors. Also be sure the camera is set to "mass storage" by the menu.

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 Zeiss Loxia 85mm F2.4 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads