Nikon Z6 and Z7 Service Advisory

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 26,442
Re: Curiosity

Russell Proulx wrote:

shuncheung wrote:

I am a firm believer that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Most automobile recalls are for problems/defects that have been identified that *might* cause a problem.

...but quite a few (majority) can wait until the next service interval, even if it may take another year.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
Russell Proulx Contributing Member • Posts: 896
Re: Nikon Z6 and Z7 Service Advisory

visualenvy wrote:

Turned camera on, makes the normal start up noises (85mm has noisy aperture) then it stopped and I got ERR.. almost cried.

Turned camera off, on and still ERR. Took off TFZ+lens, same thing.

It said to press shutter to reset which I did and then it's been back to normal since then.

That happened to me once in the middle of a shoot. Freaked me out as my bag with 2 other bodies was at the the side of the large hall I was shooting a corporate presentation. In my case I turned off the Z7, popped the battery out and in again, and then turned the camera on. All's been well since then but it did add a bit of worry about it happening again. I hope it's due to the IBIS issue that Nikon's now correcting.

You would have to pay custom fees and shipping fees to and from we would not cover this even for the service advisory.

It would seem that different countries are offering different shipping options. Nikon Canada sent me a prepaid shipping label and will also pay to return it to me.

Russell Proulx's gear list:Russell Proulx's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon Z7
fpessolano
fpessolano Veteran Member • Posts: 3,174

Strange, officially I thought I did read Nikon pays for the shipping and for repair duty does not apply. It has already been paid.

fpessolano's gear list:fpessolano's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T3 +1 more
visualenvy Regular Member • Posts: 167

I've only had B&H pay for international shipping once for a hard drive RMA but most companies won't cover international. The reason was also because the drive was DOA from their poor packing.. Had a manfrotto super clamp put a dent in the top as they took the drive out of the box and wrapped it in a tiny piece of bubble that actually fell off.

The duty is local for my country so assume it's just a disclaimer they must say and there won't be duty going into the US as it will be labeled as an RMA item.

There is a process where I fill in a form for local customs stating duty was already paid and is being sent out for repair then returned so not concerned about that.. it's just a huge inconvenience.

I would assume it will take 3-4 weeks at best but with the busy season coming I'll be restricted to dual D500s which may not sound bad but with the work I've recently been getting the Z 6 has been my go-to hybrid. Slightly off-topic but this is why I'm thinking bout getting another and sell one D500 or just go full on video with an FS5II... but that's way more expense and hassle right now.

Anyway i'm thinking about it too much I'm going to go use my awesome, "faulty", Z 6

visualenvy's gear list:visualenvy's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D700 Nikon D5200 Sony a6000 Nikon D500 +13 more
CamPeru New Member • Posts: 2

I filled in the service advisory form after my serial number ( in the 3011's) came up as "affected". It advised me that next step was to contact my local Nikon service agent (Nikon Peru). I contacted them and they were very surprised- they had not heard of any issue or service advisory notice and that if i wanted my camera serviced I would have to pay full cost or contact Nikon USA as the camera was purchased there. I contacted Nikon USA who informed me to contact my local service agent ( I could see a loop forming here). Long story short Nikon USA told me that the issue was "creating lines on the image like you were shooting on a hot day"

I have not noticed this before even though my Z6 is "Affected" and as the only solution Nikon can offer me is to send my unit at my cost and risk to New York or just wait and see if the problem develops I am not sure how to proceed?

Has anyone noticed these "heat wave lines" ? it is the first mention of them I had seen.

Was this service advisory issued globally or just by Nikon USA, I was surprised that they did not seem prepared for this in Nikon LATAM.

Russell Proulx Contributing Member • Posts: 896

CamPeru wrote:

Was this service advisory issued globally or just by Nikon USA, I was surprised that they did not seem prepared for this in Nikon LATAM.

You should wait a week or two for the directives to reach the various Nikon divisions around the globe. Technicians will need to be instructed on the repair needed as well as have the replacement parts on hand before asking folks to send in their cameras. Until then perhaps they're just being tight lipped about the advisory.

Russell Proulx's gear list:Russell Proulx's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon Z7
fpessolano

Initially also my local agent did not have a clue.

i suggest to wait and see when your local agent is aware.

i have not noticed anything as you describe since day 1 when I got the camera.

C41 Regular Member • Posts: 442

GFinzi wrote:

Will a technician in Melbourne match a Nikon factory? I don’t want problems to come from sending the unit in.

I'd like to know who is doing the repairs.  Someone suggested it wasn't local, cameras were being sent back to Japan?  ("the mothership")

I was just able to check on our second Z6 (3003xxx) and it's not affected.  What's interesting is that they were bought just a couple of weeks apart (as they came in on waitlist)  from the same local shop, but widely different s/n's.  This one was a  zoom lens kit, while the other (3009xxx which is affected) was body only.

Also, hearing about this series of Nikon recalls (D600, 750...) I'm curious whether Canon has also had comparable issues?  (That's not trolling, this is just the first time I've ever experienced one.)

fpessolano

My local official agent told me all cameras, at least in Belgium, are sent back to Nikon for service. Agents were not allowed to repair them.

douglas_robert Junior Member • Posts: 47

thanks for the heads up.. Just checked my serial numbers and my z6 is ok. Thank goodness!!!

Although I have my A7 iii I could use if my z6 had to be sent in, I only have pro lens for nikon.

hopefully not to my cameras are affected..

On a positive note the new firmware update for z6 works really good

douglas_robert's gear list:douglas_robert's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6
douglas_robert Junior Member • Posts: 47

fpessolano wrote:

And the check serial link does not work …. typical nikon

Worked for me! using chrome on macbook. After checking my z6 is ok!!! Maybe try a different browser. Sounds like user error

Hopefully not to many cameras are affected

Thanks Nikon for making it easy to check !!!

douglas_robert's gear list:douglas_robert's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6
shuncheung Contributing Member • Posts: 643

C41 wrote:

and it's not affected. What's interesting is that they were bought just a couple of weeks apart (as they came in on waitlist) from the same local shop, but widely different s/n's. This one was a zoom lens kit, while the other (3009xxx which is affected) was body only.

As I had posted earlier, I checked the following Z6 serial numbers:

• 3009719 not
  • 3009720 Affected
  • 3009721 not
  • 3009722 Affected
  • 3009723 not
  • 3009724 not

Potentially you could have bought two Z6 with consecutive serial numbers, and one would be affected and the other not.

I merely came up with those numbers at random, as my Z6 is not among those. And yes, I had a little to much time in my hands the other day.

Also, hearing about this series of Nikon recalls (D600, 750...) I'm curious whether Canon has also had comparable issues? (That's not trolling, this is just the first time I've ever experienced one.)

No, the Canon R and RP will never have IBIS issues similar to that in the Nikon Z6 and Z7, since those Canon bodies do not have IBIS in the first place.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +1 more
fpessolano
the link did not work at first

no point replying to this post as by now the database is online and all works

Franks38 Regular Member • Posts: 192
Re: Nikon Z6 and Z7 Service Advisory-My SN

Just fyi...My Z6 was not affected by the recall...My SN is 30112120.

Franks38 wrote:

Just fyi...My Z6 was not affected by the recall...My SN is 30112120.

Z6 serial numbers have 7 digits. I am sure your 8-digit one is not on the recall list. 😁

Franks38 Regular Member • Posts: 192

Thanks...damn typo! Had an extra "1"...number is 3012120...Frank

Danielle White New Member • Posts: 11

Sadly mine is affected but I have a vacation coming up in two weeks and need my camera 😔

SteveCooper
SteveCooper Senior Member • Posts: 1,135

Then wait until you get back from vacation to send it in, but go ahead and make arrangements for the return authorization so it will be ready when you get back to send it in 😊

-- hide signature --

(that "thing" I'm playing is called an EVI, short for Electronic Valve Instrument

SteveCooper's gear list:SteveCooper's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +14 more

Danielle White wrote:

Sadly mine is affected but I have a vacation coming up in two weeks and need my camera 😔

Just take the camera with you on your vacation and have a great time. There is no urgency to send your Z camera back to Nikon for this recall. It isn't like without the fix, the camera is going to explode upon impact.

In fact, I think one is better off waiting a few weeks; let Nikon and the technicians get familiar with the repair procedure.

tommiejeep
tommiejeep Veteran Member • Posts: 6,802

Can you see that it is affected or just in the advisory?  My D750 was in the second advisory but showed no sign of the problem.  The manager of my Nikon Service Centre (well know to me) said to wait and see if the problem was manifesting itself and then send it in even if warranty expired.   Never did .

-- hide signature --

Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong but always have fun
Tom
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads