Nikon Z6 and Z7 Service Advisory

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
FujLiver
FujLiver Contributing Member • Posts: 687
Re: tried another

fpessolano wrote:

I sent out my z7 as affected.

I just tried another one, a z6, as I am considering it. I see no difference from the one I sent in which was deemed affected. Both work the same, both felt fine. Of course I could not do next to each other test, but I pretty much remember how the camera handled yesterday when I sent it out.

At this point I feel that Nikon is doing a phased recall and all bodies up to a certain date will be recalled eventually. D750 recall style.

i will be waiting for a second Z body till all this is over. Just wish they would tell us what is wrong.

I'd be surprised

If a serial code checker is saying one week that you dont have a problem and the next week that you do, how would you know when its changing for your model ? the first answer would be a lie ?

I am pretty sure Nikon won't be doing that

FujLiver's gear list:FujLiver's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8
rokoko
rokoko Contributing Member • Posts: 854

FujLiver wrote:

fpessolano wrote:

I just tried another one, a z6, as I am considering it. I see no difference from the one I sent in which was deemed affected. Both work the same, both felt fine. Of course I could not do next to each other test, but I pretty much remember how the camera handled yesterday when I sent it out.

At this point I feel that Nikon is doing a phased recall and all bodies up to a certain date will be recalled eventually. D750 recall style.

i will be waiting for a second Z body till all this is over. Just wish they would tell us what is wrong.

I'd be surprised

If a serial code checker is saying one week that you dont have a problem and the next week that you do, how would you know when its changing for your model ? the first answer would be a lie ?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62678154

rokoko's gear list:rokoko's gear list
Nikon D850 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7
shuncheung Contributing Member • Posts: 642

FujLiver wrote:

fpessolano wrote:

I'd be surprised

I don’t think Nikon would do that either; it would only lead to a lot of confusion if Nikon tells you your camera is not affected one week and then it is affected a couple of weeks later. If necessary, they could have told some people to wait, as this is not a live-and-death issue.

For the battery recalls, Nikon would want all affected batteries back ASAP since there can be a tiny chance those batteries could catch fire, causing serious damage or even injuries and death.

In the case of the D750, there were multiple small issues related to the shutter, hence there were separate recalls. Some D750 owners sent their D750 back more than once for the multiple recalls.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +1 more
fpessolano
fpessolano Veteran Member • Posts: 3,173

Time will tell.

Let us hope it is just one round of recalls

fpessolano's gear list:fpessolano's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T3 +1 more
orlandophoto
orlandophoto Forum Member • Posts: 58

Checked my serial number, came back clear.  For reference, I just received it 3 days ago from B&H Photo.

orlandophoto's gear list:orlandophoto's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 2,615
Re: 6012xxx supplied in the UK and it doesn't have the issue

visualenvy wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Purchased mine through the camera store... it seems that only some are affected (as to how many, I'm not sure) but I'm guessing it's a manufacturing defect in some of the batches relating to VR. Either way, my z7 is affected, but not my z6 (which is good so I at least still have one body to shoot with while Nikon fixes the other one).

So can you even tell a difference with VR between them? I kind of wish they were slightly more specific about the problem but at least we know there is one.

I'm just going based off what their SN lookup tool says.  Either way, they're paying for it so I'll just send it in.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +12 more

fpessolano wrote:

Time will tell.

Let us hope it is just one round of recalls

In the case of the D750, there were multiple small issues, all kind of related to the shutter. Hence there were multiple recalls. Nikon was not doing some phased recall of one issue.

My D750 was a fairly early one, purchased in December 2014 before a major trip. A couple of months later, there was the first recall related to some reflection on the top part of the frame in some backlit situations. My D750's serial number was on the recall list, and I tested my D750 and couldn't reproduce the issue; in any case it was really a rare edge case anyway. Again, I am the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type and decided to skip the recall.

A couple more months after that, I mounted my Nikon GP-1 GPS unit on that D750 for the first time and it didn't work. I then found another GP-1A and it also didn't work. Therefore I knew it was a camera body issue. Since Nikon would pay for shipping the camera to them for the recall, I took advantage of that and sent my D750 in, and Nikon fixed the GPS connection as well as the recall issue.

A few more months to a year later, there was another recall and my D750's serial number was on the new list again. By then my D750 had been working perfectly and the GPS connection was fine. I said forget it. Now fast forward 3, 4 years later, that D750 is still working just fine. I sent it back to Nikon once only because of the GPS connection issue.

My 200-500mm/f5.6 AF-S VR is also among the earliest ones and there was a firmware issue as AF might not always work once you zoom. I also ignored that recall.

fpessolano

Well, your experience tells me that I will sell this body earlier than I expected and probably during a trade-in offering. I never had a recalled camera, but I did have a much worse issue with a car which resulted in that motor going immediately out of production and the model as well after 2 years only. That car is still in Germany being studied ...

shuncheung wrote:

FujLiver wrote:

fpessolano wrote:

I'd be surprised

I don’t think Nikon would do that either; it would only lead to a lot of confusion if Nikon tells you your camera is not affected one week and then it is affected a couple of weeks later. If necessary, they could have told some people to wait, as this is not a live-and-death issue.

For the battery recalls, Nikon would want all affected batteries back ASAP since there can be a tiny chance those batteries could catch fire, causing serious damage or even injuries and death.

In the case of the D750, there were multiple small issues related to the shutter, hence there were separate recalls. Some D750 owners sent their D750 back more than once for the multiple recalls.

You must have had an early model or something.  In the two D750's I've owned (one was for 18 months, the second was 3 years) none of them exhibited this.  But then again, I didn't get the first one until a year after they were out on the market (so in late 2015).

I think they're recall all of the Z's at once as I think they have multiple service centers in various regions.  Also, the population of Z users is probably smaller than D750 users.

Sony RX100 VI Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +12 more
frankjoke Regular Member • Posts: 207

Mine is affected, one of the first models in Austra/Europe:

6001xxx

Registered it for service,

Did anyone get a better description of them problem and how if can be reproduced?

-- hide signature --

Greetings
Franz with Z7 + Irix, Tamron, Nokon F and Nikon Z lenses.

frankjoke's gear list:frankjoke's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +4 more

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

shuncheung wrote:

You must have had an early model or something. In the two D750's I've owned (one was for 18 months, the second was 3 years) none of them exhibited this. But then again, I didn't get the first one until a year after they were out on the market (so in late 2015).

I think they're recall all of the Z's at once as I think they have multiple service centers in various regions. Also, the population of Z users is probably smaller than D750 users.

Back then the D750 was selling like hot cakes. It was announced in September 2014 prior to PhotoKina that year (when it was held in even years). I bought mine in early December that year since Nikon USA had some deals with body + lens purchase during the holiday season, and I got the 70-200mm/f4 AF-S VR for $400 off with the D750. That D750 has the serial number 30084xx. Again, it was subjected to multiple service advisories that IMO I can completely ignore.

The D750 is a fine camera and that is why it is still the current mode after 4+ years, although the price has come down quite a bit. I still feel that 24MP is plenty and that is why I like the D750 as well as the Z6.

Russell Proulx Contributing Member • Posts: 896
Re: Z6-Z7 Service Advisory in Canada

I just got back from dropping off the Z7 at Purolator and it should arrive at Nikon Canada on Monday morning. Let's hope the turnaround is quick. We shall see ...

Russell Proulx's gear list:Russell Proulx's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon Z7
Brad Herman Regular Member • Posts: 395
Re: Nikon Z6 and Z7 Service Advisory - Site Down!!

Well, here goes...

The form on the Nikon web site is down to check on affected serial numbers.

I called Nikon, and according to the customer service agent, the site is probably being flooded with inquiries about the VR Service Advisory.

What concerns me even more, is that the agent had stated that Nikon still isn't sure of the 'root-cause' as of yet, so that leads me to believe that we have no confidence with regard to the serial number check (i.e affected or unaffected units)

I've been in the hardware/software business for over 30 years, and if we find a bug in our system and issue a Service Advisory and state empirically that certain software releases are or are not affected, we damn well better know the root cause before we are able to make that statement or issue an SA in the first place.

Without knowing the root cause of the issue, how could Nikon be able to fix/mitigate the issue during production? This does not inspire confidence in Nikon as a company or the quality of its products.

I'm currently sitting on almost $6k worth of new Nikon Z series equipment and am now on the fence as to whether it goes back and I go with a D850 or switch vendors altogether.

Brad Herman's gear list:Brad Herman's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +6 more

shuncheung wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

shuncheung wrote:

You must have had an early model or something. In the two D750's I've owned (one was for 18 months, the second was 3 years) none of them exhibited this. But then again, I didn't get the first one until a year after they were out on the market (so in late 2015).

I think they're recall all of the Z's at once as I think they have multiple service centers in various regions. Also, the population of Z users is probably smaller than D750 users.

Back then the D750 was selling like hot cakes. It was announced in September 2014 prior to PhotoKina that year (when it was held in even years). I bought mine in early December that year since Nikon USA had some deals with body + lens purchase during the holiday season, and I got the 70-200mm/f4 AF-S VR for $400 off with the D750. That D750 has the serial number 30084xx. Again, it was subjected to multiple service advisories that IMO I can completely ignore.

The D750 is a fine camera and that is why it is still the current mode after 4+ years, although the price has come down quite a bit. I still feel that 24MP is plenty and that is why I like the D750 as well as the Z6.

I do have to say that the D750 was an excellent low-light performer.  The Z6 is good, but the D750 I think still beats it by at least a little bit.  Maybe when they announce they are discontinuing the D750 I'll pick one up as a backup.  For the money, despite it being 5 years old now, it's still a good buy at $1300.

Brad Herman wrote:

Well, here goes...

The form on the Nikon web site is down to check on affected serial numbers.

I called Nikon, and according to the customer service agent, the site is probably being flooded with inquiries about the VR Service Advisory.

I just checked this link, and it is working:

https://nikon.tfaforms.net/424

So is this one for the Z7:

https://nikon.tfaforms.net/431

What concerns me even more, is that the agent had stated that Nikon still isn't sure of the 'root-cause' as of yet, so that leads me to believe that we have no confidence with regard to the serial number check (i.e affected or unaffected units)

Sounds like a totally inexperienced agent who answered the call. Nikon should never revealed so much details to the public, which will cause a lot of confidence issues with Nikon.

I wonder whether that agent really knows what he/she is talking about.

fpessolano

I agree. No matter what the reality is, Nikon would never say that.

in fact the local agent in Belgium told me they do not know what the issue is and they cannot service it. The order is to send all cameras back to the Nikon mothership for intervention.

Maethros Junior Member • Posts: 32

3004xxx Early USA local shop purchase.  Came back positive, so I'm sending it in.  I look at it as a free cleaning.

Maethros's gear list:Maethros's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon Coolpix A Sony RX100 III +13 more
C41 Regular Member • Posts: 442
Re: Nikon Z6 and Z7 Service Advisory

fpessolano wrote:

I agree. No matter what the reality is, Nikon would never say that.

in fact the local agent in Belgium told me they do not know what the issue is and they cannot service it. The order is to send all cameras back to the Nikon mothership for intervention.

That could take a while!  Again I ask, where did you find a way to check on the status of your repair?

fpessolano
Re: Nikon Z6 and Z7 Service Advisory

As I wrote, on the Nikon repair website.

when I brought the camera, yes I drove since it is 30km from here, they gave me as receipt the case paper (which I also received per email later) with the link and the case number and login.

DDavis1 Regular Member • Posts: 261

Maethros wrote:

3004xxx Early USA local shop purchase. Came back positive, so I'm sending it in. I look at it as a free cleaning.

DDavis1's gear list:DDavis1's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads