Nikon Z6 and Z7 Service Advisory

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Rich Rosen Senior Member • Posts: 2,618
Re: Nikon Z6 and Z7 Service Advisory

Mine worked. Not affected: Z6.

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-E3 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +22 more
romendo Forum Member • Posts: 73
Re: Z6-Z7 Service Advisory in Canada

What is your serial number? Mine starts with 4000 and is not affected. It was shipped from Henry's on September 28, 2018.

romendo's gear list:romendo's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4
theopwildebeest
theopwildebeest Regular Member • Posts: 159
Re: My Z6 not affected

DezM wrote:

"Your camera is unaffected. Repair not necessary"

Serial: 3008xxx

My Z7 with 3008xxx also NOT affected.

theopwildebeest's gear list:theopwildebeest's gear list
Sony a7 Nikon Z7 Sony FE 28mm F2 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8
quattro88
quattro88 Contributing Member • Posts: 727

Worked for me. My Z6 in not affected.

-- hide signature --

Efraim
Vancouver, Canada
Nikon D750, Nikon Z6, Nikkor AF-S 70-200 F/2.8 G ED VRII, Nikkor S 24-70 f/4, Nikkor AF-S 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikkor AF-S 16-35 f/4 VR, Nikon AF-S 50mm F/1.8, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC USD G2.
Web: http://www.rightonphotography.com

quattro88's gear list:quattro88's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
rokoko
rokoko Contributing Member • Posts: 854
Re: Curiosity

shuncheung wrote:

fpessolano wrote:

Status of my recall is "waiting for spare parts" … clearly an hardware defect here.

I guess they realized they used a bogus part in a production batch and need to replace them all. We will see.

Out of curiosity, I checked a bunch of Z6 serial numbers. For example:

• 3009719 not
  • 3009720 Affected
  • 3009721 not
  • 3009722 Affected
  • 3009723 not
  • 3009724 not

Only 2 out of the 6 are affected and their serial numbers are not consecutive. It is not a batch within some serial number range are all affected. And based on the responses to this thread, I have the impression that only a small percentage of D6 and D7 bodies are affected.

I am a firm believer that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. My Z6 is not affected, but if it were, I would wait a little while and see how this repair all works out before I would send mine in. There is always the chance that Nikon repair messes up a perfectly fine working Z6 or Z7 and it comes back in worse shape. Or it could get stuck with the shop for a long time until parts are available. If I had a non-functioning camera, I would send it in immediately. You probably still would like to have it fixed under the recall warranty, but it pays to wait a bit.

Or maybe all are affected, just randomly pick the first wave to send in. How many D750 recalls in the past? Three! for the same issue. Mine was picked by the last one.

rokoko's gear list:rokoko's gear list
Nikon D850 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7
pepsijunior
pepsijunior Contributing Member • Posts: 931
Re: My Z7 not affected

theopwildebeest wrote:

DezM wrote:

"Your camera is unaffected. Repair not necessary"

Serial: 3008xxx

My Z7 with 3008xxx also NOT affected.

Z7 3016xxx not affected

pepsijunior's gear list:pepsijunior's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS +5 more
tlittlefield Regular Member • Posts: 248
Re: Sure there is

visualenvy wrote:

tlittlefield wrote:

visualenvy wrote:

Oh lovely.. I'm not US resident so no option for me

Not sure where you live but it's an issue with all Z series and Nikon will take care of it.

Just looked the the Nikon UK site and the service advisory is there as well.

I live where Nikon doesn't list on any of their forms... Bermuda.

I purchased online from B&H in December.

Purchasing it from B&H it must have a USA warranty...

tlittlefield's gear list:tlittlefield's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +1 more
codyl1992 Forum Member • Posts: 61

30092xx unaffected z6.  Bought at Best Buy on release day.  Will be interesting to see if it’s expanded.

DerKaiser Regular Member • Posts: 159

Z6 3012XXX not affected.

akmtshun Junior Member • Posts: 27
My Z7 with S/N 700xxxx is fine

Purchased Z7 on 27 Sep 2018 in Kowloon territory of Hong Kong.

akmtshun's gear list:akmtshun's gear list
Nikon Z7 Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art
Russell Proulx Contributing Member • Posts: 896
Re: Z6-Z7 Service Advisory in Canada

romendo wrote:

What is your serial number? Mine starts with 4000 and is not affected. It was shipped from Henry's on September 28, 2018.

Mine starts with 4000 too but is affected. Oh well .. shipping to Nikon tomorrow morning.

Russell Proulx's gear list:Russell Proulx's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon Z7
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 26,448
Re: Just sent back

fpessolano wrote:

I meant mine serial 600xxx from the first batch is affected

Also incorrect. Mine is also from the first batch and is not on the list. I think you draw too fast conclusions.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
C41 Regular Member • Posts: 442

fpessolano wrote:

Status of my recall is "waiting for spare parts" … clearly an hardware defect here.

How were you informed of this?

fpessolano
fpessolano Veteran Member • Posts: 3,174

I just read it in the status update of Nikon support website ....

fpessolano's gear list:fpessolano's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T3 +1 more
fpessolano
Re: Just sent back

Man, you confuse me ...

mine is from the first batch .... and it is affected. Easier to read now?

What conclusion I am taking that is wrong. That the camera is mine, that mine is affected or that mine is from the first batch delivered in my country?

Michael1000 Senior Member • Posts: 1,576

I must have one of the earliest Z7's at 3000XXX.  Not affected.  I didn't think so.  The IBIS has worked fine for me.

sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 2,623
Re: 6012xxx supplied in the UK and it doesn't have the issue

Purchased mine through the camera store... it seems that only some are affected (as to how many, I'm not sure) but I'm guessing it's a manufacturing defect in some of the batches relating to VR.  Either way, my z7 is affected, but not my z6 (which is good so I at least still have one body to shoot with while Nikon fixes the other one).

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +12 more
visualenvy Regular Member • Posts: 167
Re: 6012xxx supplied in the UK and it doesn't have the issue

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Purchased mine through the camera store... it seems that only some are affected (as to how many, I'm not sure) but I'm guessing it's a manufacturing defect in some of the batches relating to VR. Either way, my z7 is affected, but not my z6 (which is good so I at least still have one body to shoot with while Nikon fixes the other one).

So can you even tell a difference with VR between them? I kind of wish they were slightly more specific about the problem but at least we know there is one.

visualenvy's gear list:visualenvy's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D700 Nikon D5200 Sony a6000 Nikon D500 +13 more
fpessolano
tried another

I sent out my z7 as affected.

I just tried another one, a z6, as I am considering it. I see no difference from the one I sent in which was deemed affected. Both work the same, both felt fine. Of course I could not do next to each other test, but I pretty much remember how the camera handled yesterday when I sent it out.

At this point I feel that Nikon is doing a phased recall and all bodies up to a certain date will be recalled eventually. D750 recall style.

i will be waiting for a second Z body till all this is over. Just wish they would tell us what is wrong.

SaltyPeanut
SaltyPeanut Senior Member • Posts: 1,016
Re: tried another

fpessolano wrote:

I sent out my z7 as affected.

I just tried another one, a z6, as I am considering it. I see no difference from the one I sent in which was deemed affected. Both work the same, both felt fine. Of course I could not do next to each other test, but I pretty much remember how the camera handled yesterday when I sent it out.

At this point I feel that Nikon is doing a phased recall and all bodies up to a certain date will be recalled eventually. D750 recall style.

I like this approach, so they don't get overwhelmed and take weeks to return each one.

i will be waiting for a second Z body till all this is over. Just wish they would tell us what is wrong.

SaltyPeanut's gear list:SaltyPeanut's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads