Nikon Z6 and Z7 Service Advisory

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
visualenvy Regular Member • Posts: 167
Re: Sure there is

tlittlefield wrote:

visualenvy wrote:

Oh lovely.. I'm not US resident so no option for me

Not sure where you live but it's an issue with all Z series and Nikon will take care of it.

Just looked the the Nikon UK site and the service advisory is there as well.

I live where Nikon doesn't list on any of their forms... Bermuda.

I purchased online from B&H in December.

visualenvy's gear list:visualenvy's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D700 Nikon D5200 Sony a6000 Nikon D500 +13 more
SaltyPeanut
SaltyPeanut Senior Member • Posts: 1,012
Re: Sure there is

visualenvy wrote:

tlittlefield wrote:

visualenvy wrote:

Oh lovely.. I'm not US resident so no option for me

Not sure where you live but it's an issue with all Z series and Nikon will take care of it.

Just looked the the Nikon UK site and the service advisory is there as well.

I live where Nikon doesn't list on any of their forms... Bermuda.

I purchased online from B&H in December.

Contact Nikon USA and ask for assistance.

SaltyPeanut's gear list:SaltyPeanut's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G
Mystical Sound New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Nikon Z6 and Z7 Service Advisory

My Z6 from the UK with SN 6021xxx is not affected

Mystical Sound's gear list:Mystical Sound's gear list
Nikon Z6 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 +1 more
Varuas Regular Member • Posts: 408

Fortunately, my Z6 (serial 3015xxx) is unaffected. The VR has always been rock solid in both stills and video.

Varuas's gear list:Varuas's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D600 Nikon Z6 YI 4K+ Action Camera Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +3 more
Russell Proulx Contributing Member • Posts: 896

Lisa Kiehls wrote:

madecov wrote:

My Z7 shows unaffected. I've had it about 3 weeks.

Mine is not on the list either - BUT my camera is definitely sharper with VR turned off...so I believe Nikon will be expanding the list of affected serial numbers pretty soon...

If you're using a tripod then it might be sharper with the IBIS turned off.

Russell Proulx's gear list:Russell Proulx's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon Z7
BGD300V1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,606
Why?

FujLiver wrote:

first four digits are fine, use X for rest of digits

thanks

It takes less time to check the SN on the advisory page than to write a post.

-- hide signature --
 BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon D500 +13 more
Re: What might the defect be?

Lisa Kiehls wrote:

Russell Proulx wrote:

As affected owners have stated, the problem is not obvious. My IBIS seems to work ok and I've not considered that there was anything wrong with it

It would be interesting to find a site (Dpreview?) that shows an A/B comparison test of an affected body vs one that is not.

You should test it for yourself.

I have a 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II and an 85mm f/1.8G (and a number of other lenses) that I use on the FTZ adapter and I've not noticed anything obviously broken. Perhaps some missed shots (I shoot hundreds at events) might have been due to an IBIS error. But it's certainly not something happening often enough to sound any alarm bells.

If I had a second Z7 and a suggested combination of variables that would expose the defect then I could then see what the problem is. But turning on the camera's IBIS system seems to stabilize the image more then when it's off.

I only hope that when t comes back from Nikon it will be 'better'. But without a repeatable test that reveals the problem it will be difficult to confirm that anything was fixed. Maybe it's an issue that happens to some folks often enough (but not yet me) that it prompted the recall.

C41 Regular Member • Posts: 441

My Z6 (3009xxx) is said to be affected, early USA unit.  Playing with input a bit, it seems to be a quite narrow range of serial numbers in the upper 3009xxx's.  How would Nikon have become aware of a problem?

I wonder what the symptoms might be.  They're certainly not horrendous.  But I recall others here saying they found VR to be more effective with long lenses (like our 400/5.6 AIS) than I did...  ??

visualenvy Regular Member • Posts: 167

C41 wrote:

My Z6 (3009xxx) is said to be affected, early USA unit. Playing with input a bit, it seems to be a quite narrow range of serial numbers in the upper 3009xxx's. How would Nikon have become aware of a problem?

I wonder what the symptoms might be. They're certainly not horrendous. But I recall others here saying they found VR to be more effective with long lenses (like our 400/5.6 AIS) than I did... ??

That's my range too...

visualenvy's gear list:visualenvy's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D700 Nikon D5200 Sony a6000 Nikon D500 +13 more
DDavis1 Regular Member • Posts: 260

FujLiver wrote:

Henderson92 wrote:

While everyone and I am all excited about the new 2.0 firmware update...

I think this is really good new that they acknowledge the issue and taking care of it.

Issue
While Nikon has taken great measures to assure the high quality expected of Nikon products, it has come to our attention that the vibration reduction (VR) feature in some Nikon Z 6 and Z 7 cameras may not function fully. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and-support/service-advisories/technical-service-advisory-for-users-of-the-nikon-z-6-and-z-7-cameras.html

yes and very fast

I normally keep VR off as its sharper, unless I am street shooting

will take a look

Exactly. If I'm shooting at slow shutter speeds hand-held (especially landscapes), VR is turned on. If I'm shooting action (higher shutter speeds) or on a tripod, VR is off.

DDavis1's gear list:DDavis1's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +10 more
fpessolano
fpessolano Veteran Member • Posts: 3,172
Curiosity

Status of my recall is "waiting for spare parts" … clearly an hardware defect here.

I guess they realized they used a bogus part in a production batch and need to replace them all. We will see.

fpessolano's gear list:fpessolano's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T3 +1 more
shuncheung Contributing Member • Posts: 640
Re: Curiosity

fpessolano wrote:

Status of my recall is "waiting for spare parts" … clearly an hardware defect here.

I guess they realized they used a bogus part in a production batch and need to replace them all. We will see.

Out of curiosity, I checked a bunch of Z6 serial numbers. For example:

• 3009719  not
  • 3009720  Affected
  • 3009721  not
  • 3009722  Affected
  • 3009723  not
  • 3009724  not

Only 2 out of the 6 are affected and their serial numbers are not consecutive. It is not a batch within some serial number range are all affected. And based on the responses to this thread, I have the impression that only a small percentage of D6 and D7 bodies are affected.

I am a firm believer that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. My Z6 is not affected, but if it were, I would wait a little while and see how this repair all works out before I would send mine in. There is always the chance that Nikon repair messes up a perfectly fine working Z6 or Z7 and it comes back in worse shape. Or it could get stuck with the shop for a long time until parts are available. If I had a non-functioning camera, I would send it in immediately. You probably still would like to have it fixed under the recall warranty, but it pays to wait a bit.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +1 more
DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 34,968
My Z6 not affected

"Your camera is unaffected. Repair not necessary"

Serial: 3008xxx

-- hide signature --
 DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6
fpessolano
fpessolano Veteran Member • Posts: 3,172
Re: Curiosity

It is a subsystem batch, whose serial we cannot see but they do have databases of what subsystems modules serials belong to what assembled camera modules.

i guess that is is a faulty hatch of the vr module.

fpessolano's gear list:fpessolano's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T3 +1 more
sbill
sbill Senior Member • Posts: 1,167

Your camera is unaffected. Repair not necessary

WOOHOO

sbill's gear list:sbill's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8
Franks38 Regular Member • Posts: 190

The Z6 link worked quickly for me...Fortunately, my Z6  is not part of the recall...Frank

Z6-Z7 Service Advisory in Canada

My Z7 is affected and I submitted the online form this morning. Nikon Canada just acknowledged that I should send it in and Purolator has emailed me the RMA shipping label for the box. The process is working well so far. It will be interesting to see how long it'll  be before I get it back.

SaltyPeanut
SaltyPeanut Senior Member • Posts: 1,012
Re: Z6-Z7 Service Advisory in Canada

Russell Proulx wrote:

My Z7 is affected and I submitted the online form this morning. Nikon Canada just acknowledged that I should send it in and Purolator has emailed me the RMA shipping label for the box. The process is working well so far. It will be interesting to see how long it'll be before I get it back.

Might be better to be an early bird

SaltyPeanut's gear list:SaltyPeanut's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,074
Re: 6012xxx supplied in the UK and it doesn't have the issue

UK-supplied Z6 serial 6022xxx - not affected.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +21 more
pgl1960 Forum Member • Posts: 87
Z6 7401xxx fine

Australian purchase in February 2019

pgl1960's gear list:pgl1960's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D70 Nikon D2X Nikon D300 Nikon D500 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads