Firmware 2.0 is out - changelog

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
SaltyPeanut
SaltyPeanut Contributing Member • Posts: 909
Re: Firmware 2.0 is out - changelog

• Added eye-detection AF for use when taking photographs. 
  • Improved autofocus performance for photos and movies shot under low light: -3.5 – 19 EV (low light autofocus -6 – 19 EV)
  • Item d5 in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU, formerly Electronic front-curtain shutter, has been renamed Shutter type and offers a choice of Auto, Mechanical shutter, and Electronic front-curtain shutter. If Auto is selected, the camera will automatically choose a shutter type according to shutter speed.

Thank you Nikon! Shutter auto switch esp.

SaltyPeanut's gear list:SaltyPeanut's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G
visualenvy Regular Member • Posts: 146

Nice troll Dez lol.. even got folks over on NR saying dog AF worked for one person...

DOES NOT WORK ON ANIMALS.

***EDIT*** I take that back.. I just tried on your dog pic and it worked lol My cat that was right in front of me didn't get the same treatment so assumed you were joking.

Anyway just wanted to post a shortcut for enabling and disabling face/eye detect.

- Auto-area AF face/eye detection should be added to your My Menu automatically.

- Use the Rank items to move this to the top of the list.

- Now go to Custom Setting Menu, Controls, Custom control assignment.

- Change the Movie record button to Access top item in MY MENU.

Now when you press the record button it will bring up face/eye for you to enable or disable as required.

Did no one else care about the change to H+??? AF and AE now.. that's awesome.

visualenvy's gear list:visualenvy's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D700 Nikon D5200 Sony a6000 Nikon D500 +13 more
tommiejeep Veteran Member • Posts: 6,718
Re: D5 - Auto Shutter type - threshold

I agree to user selectable crossover.  We all shoot differently.   Maybe another FW.

-- hide signature --

Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong but always have fun
Tom
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

Varuas Regular Member • Posts: 401
Very fast and accurate eye-AF (even on FTZ Sigma)

What can I say, absolutely amazed by the VERY accurate and snappy eyeAF. I was not planning on updating the firmware because my weekend camping trip, but holy crap this update makes Z6 focusing in stills extremely robust. Guys, this is Z6 Mark II.

eyeAF works perfectly using FTZ and even the Tamron G1 70-200!! Tammy’s usual jerkiness persists but focusing was fast enough and dare I say FASTER than before. My Sigma 20mm 1.4 Art works and every single shot had eye perfectly focused at f1.4.

i will now try this on my kids running around . Again, amazing. Nikon should have come with this firmware during the release. IMO Z6 is now much better for stills.

Varuas's gear list:Varuas's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D600 Nikon Z6 YI 4K+ Action Camera Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +3 more
focus on you Regular Member • Posts: 210

I'm shooting in a very dimly lit room in AF-C with no focus problems.  I'm impressed.  This is an improvement for sure.

Tomorrow I'll be testing back-lit subjects.  I hope to see improvements there too.

Eye AF seems to work but more testing will be needed.

It's too early to give a final verdict but it's looking good so far.  Nikon might  have a winner with this one.

my-2-cents Forum Member • Posts: 98

Lance B wrote:

DezM wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

thaddak wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

Just in case anyone is wondering, setting D5 appears to use:

• EFCS for 1/250 and slower
  • Mechanical shutter for 1/320 and faster

Personally, I think this was a bad decision. I think they should have had the switch to mechanical shutter closer to 1/200, unless someone can think of a reason why they did this.

(based on my few minutes of experimentation with a single lens on the Z6).

I was expecting the auto shutter to switch to mechanical at HSS speeds.

Yes, sorry that was a typo on my part. I meant to say 1/2000, not 1/200.

Exactly what I wrote here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62674412

They should have made it customizable as well as their idea of "Auto". I would like to have it always 1/2000sec but would like the option to choose the crossover point.

Agree that choice of crossover point would have been best. But I had tested EFCS vs Mechanical shutter on a 300mm f/4D and the shutter shock was noticeable till 1/125sec. So, 1/250s may not be all bad, but my test was pretty limited.

-- hide signature --
Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 7,727
Image Review Blackout Improvement

From the firmware change notes:

"Reduced the length of time the display turns off (the blackout period) when pictures are taken with On or On (monitor only) selected for Image review in the PLAYBACK MENU."

Of all the changes this is the one I was most interested in, because I complained about the long review time in my test thread here, and about the long blackout time here. Well they definitely reduced the blackout time - it's essentially gone now. Unfortunately the image review time hasn't improved - it's actually gotten slightly worse, probably from the two additional cross-dissolves Nikon added as a result of immediately returning to LV after the exposure and then leaving LV when the Image Review is ready.

Here's a video I took to demonstrate this. You may need to watch it a few times to catch all the info. You can also use the YouTube keyboard shortcuts to pause/resume and single-step the frames: spacebar or k = pause/resume, comma key to move back 1 frame, period key to move forward one frame.

Verkku Regular Member • Posts: 129
Re: Show Focus point in NX-D and NX-i doesn't work after update

pgl1960 wrote:

It could well be user error although I think not. Images taken before the update to 2.0 show the focus point but those taken after don't.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has the issue.

Update to new versions!

Verkku's gear list:Verkku's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +25 more
z2122
z2122 Contributing Member • Posts: 884
Re: No Eye-AF in video mode

Symtex wrote:

a little disappointing.

I am happy with the update. why is it disappointing for you?

-- hide signature --

https://www.ppetschauer.com/
catch the light - explore emotions

z2122's gear list:z2122's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
z2122
z2122 Contributing Member • Posts: 884
Re: XQD Reader

DezM wrote:

DigitalFFUser wrote:

DezM wrote:

Eye AF works on humans, dogs and cats. Just tested it with photos of each on my screen

I don't have XQD reader

Looks like I need to rush to buy one tomorrow from local camera shop.

We've been warning everyone in here for months, and Nikon stipulated in the notes that a XQD card reader is required.

yes ... it is a no brainer ... 30 euros on amazon

-- hide signature --

https://www.ppetschauer.com/
catch the light - explore emotions

z2122's gear list:z2122's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
Wahrsager
Wahrsager Senior Member • Posts: 1,520
Re: Works

DezM wrote:

Eye AF works on humans, dogs and cats. Just tested it with photos of each on my screen

Works awesome!  Works better than I had anticipated.  Very tenacious.

Wahrsager's gear list:Wahrsager's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +26 more
pgl1960 Forum Member • Posts: 84
Re: Show Focus point in NX-D and NX-i doesn't work after update

Good point. I'll do that - I did check on the download page for the Z6 but it didn't show new versions - mind you it also didn't show the new firmware.

Just checked and now it is up to date and shows all the new versions.

pgl1960's gear list:pgl1960's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D70 Nikon D2X Nikon D300 Nikon D500 +13 more
fpessolano
fpessolano Veteran Member • Posts: 3,155

Tried with 50S, sigma 105/1.4 and a AiS 28 2.8 on z7

so far low light AF seems improved with both the option on and off. The a7 is more decisive.

peaking in the manual lenses seems also improved. Focused at 100 seems it have less lag and finally I see the focusing peak lines even with a lens where I could not see them in zoom mode.

no issue with ftz at least with the sigma. Thus, the 3rd party lenses still work.

I would love to hear what people with z6 and z7 think of the z6 as I am considering getting one as se one body once the discounts kick in in a couple of weeks.

fpessolano's gear list:fpessolano's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T3 +1 more
fpessolano

Or hey must have their reasons ...  they should tell us.

ProfPS Forum Member • Posts: 79

my-2-cents wrote:

Lance B wrote:

DezM wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

thaddak wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

Personally, I think this was a bad decision. I think they should have had the switch to mechanical shutter closer to 1/200, unless someone can think of a reason why they did this.

I was expecting the auto shutter to switch to mechanical at HSS speeds.

Yes, sorry that was a typo on my part. I meant to say 1/2000, not 1/200.

Exactly what I wrote here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62674412

They should have made it customizable as well as their idea of "Auto". I would like to have it always 1/2000sec but would like the option to choose the crossover point.

Agree that choice of crossover point would have been best. But I had tested EFCS vs Mechanical shutter on a 300mm f/4D and the shutter shock was noticeable till 1/125sec. So, 1/250s may not be all bad, but my test was pretty limited.

I’ve found the same with the 35mm Z - perhaps the issue is more related to the timing of the curtains irrespective of focal length.

syberman7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,215
Re: Dog

DezM wrote:

Not my photo but Eye AF works for me on this dog photo

Source: https://local.theonion.com/allergy-sufferer-dies-after-being-stung-by-dog-1832020319

Yep, that one will trigger eye AF on my Z6. It won't detect many others though including 'Ghost' the direwolf.

syberman7's gear list:syberman7's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +10 more
jezzah59 New Member • Posts: 16
Re: Works

DPFranz wrote:

In fact, he doesn't even appear to have noticed when I loaded it onto the Z7.

That's dogs for ya - cute, but no grasp of priorities

Foliage New Member • Posts: 3

A few observations on the Z6:

- Eye detect uses dynamically sized AF points, going as small as the 'Pinpoint AF' points before reverting to Face detection

- Eye detect is GLUED onto the eye in Continuous H extended 12-bit (12fps) or 14-bit (9fps), however slightly lags in Continuous H at 5.5fps (Check image review with Focus point highlighted)

- Low Light AF is great. To achieve better performance the Z6 seems to temporarily increase exposure in live view to attain focus. This isn't a big distraction.

- Auto shutter change from EFCS to MS is a good change and occurs from 1/320. It would be nice to specify which shutter speed it changes at if I'm nitpicking.

I'm very happy with the update. Further things I'd ask for:

• AF tracking implementation like 3D tracking
  • One EV stop aperture change assignable to function button like DSLRs
 Foliage's gear list:Foliage's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
chambeshi Senior Member • Posts: 1,693

Lance B wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

I think Nikon have made an error. Just tried my 500 f5.6 PF and it doesn't switch to EFCS until 1/250 sec which means that the mechanical shutter may introduce vibration with the minimum 1/focal length rule, which really should be 1/focal length x 2 at least for these high Mp cameras. So, I think the camera should at least recognise the focal length and then apply at least 1/focal length x 2 (preferrably x 4) so that the 500mm lens would automatically switch to EFCS at 1/1000sec minimum and 1/2000sec preferrably. As I said in another post, it should be user customizble like the Auto ISO minimum shutter speed feature.

I agree fully.

Why not add the ability to set Custom threshold? As this welcome 3-way setting stands - leaves one with no option but to keep it Electronic for usual shooting, but assign Auto to a U mode - eg in a BIF type where one is often 1/2000 and faster anyways

chambeshi's gear list:chambeshi's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR +22 more
fpessolano
U modes change

They now keep the changes or so it seems, but my camera is among the recalled ones. Damn

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads