Best all-in-one Film Camera for travel?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
ThaQuest
ThaQuest Senior Member • Posts: 1,367
Best all-in-one Film Camera for travel?

I'm looking for something nice and compact with a built-in lens, f/2.8 at minimum but f/2 would be even better. Not only for travel, but for carrying around day-to-day. I just sold my AE-1 Program which was a little more bulk that I cared for.

So far the Olympus Trip 35 seems like a good option (with a 40mm 2.8 lens), but it only has two shutter speeds: 1/40 and 1/200, and I'd like some more low-light potential than that. The viewfinder is smaller than I'd like. Alternatively, the Olympus Pen half frames seem like a lot of fun.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

www.shenzhenphotos.com

ThaQuest's gear list:ThaQuest's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +3 more
bullet1 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,218
A very good question that was likely asked 15 years ago...

ThaQuest wrote:

I'm looking for something nice and compact with a built-in lens, f/2.8 at minimum but f/2 would be even better. Not only for travel, but for carrying around day-to-day. I just sold my AE-1 Program which was a little more bulk that I cared for.

So far the Olympus Trip 35 seems like a good option (with a 40mm 2.8 lens), but it only has two shutter speeds: 1/40 and 1/200, and I'd like some more low-light potential than that. The viewfinder is smaller than I'd like. Alternatively, the Olympus Pen half frames seem like a lot of fun.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

We had a quite a few P&S film cameras plus two AE-1's and an A-1. I don't remember the model name of our P&S cameras, one is Canon and another Nikon.

All my film cameras were sold to a local camera shop two years ago. A local camera shop near you might have one for you.

15 Film Cameras You Can Still Buy Brand New | B&H Explora

The Best Film Cameras You Can Buy Today | Time

What's the Best 35mm Film Camera to Start Out With? Top Picks

5 Top Film Cameras on a Tight Budget - Chase Jarvis

-- hide signature --

Nelson

bullet1's gear list:bullet1's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EOS M5 +23 more
Ed B
Ed B Veteran Member • Posts: 9,844
Re: Best all-in-one Film Camera for travel?

ThaQuest wrote:

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

I still shoot a roll of slide film once in a great while because when I switched to digital one of my Canon cameras (EOS3) was only a few months old and I still have that camera.

I hate to see it just sitting around gathering dust plus I've always loved slides.

Anyway, everyone is different but I can't understand why anyone, today, would use a film camera for travel.

Why?? 

vicsin Regular Member • Posts: 197

Without a doubt, Sony r100 vi.  70-200mm lens, outstanding iq, all the bells and whistles in a very small package.  I've taken thousands of very satisfying photos with it.  If you can afford it, you won't regret it.  Hands down the best for what you mention.

Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 16,990

vicsin wrote:

Without a doubt, Sony r100 vi. 70-200mm lens, outstanding iq, all the bells and whistles in a very small package. I've taken thousands of very satisfying photos with it. If you can afford it, you won't regret it. Hands down the best for what you mention.

Is there a film camera with that name?

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Leonard Migliore

Easy. Kodak Retina IIC:

Image from Chris's Camera Pages

Compact, beautifully made. Schneider Xenon lens. An absolutely great camera.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Ernest M Aquilio
Ernest M Aquilio Regular Member • Posts: 481

My choice would be the Konica Hexar AF or my personal favorite the Mamiya 6 w/50mm lens. Those are both hefty so maybe also consider the Olympus XA series

Searching for the "best" is subjective. We all have different requirements. Good luck in your searching!

Ernest M Aquilio's gear list:Ernest M Aquilio's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sigma SD1 Merrill
vicsin Regular Member • Posts: 197

Sorry I missed the"film part". Still feel the same way though.

BG28
BG28 Regular Member • Posts: 177

So you want something with zoom, or no?

For my own travels, I usually take a fixed lens film camera (sometimes 2!), in addition to my m43 gear. My hands-down 35mm favorite so far has been a Minolta AF-C p&s (35/f2.8). It meters accurately and reliably, the lens is pretty sharp, it has a sliding front cover similar to Oly Mju (except vertical) which protects the lens AND disables the shutter button. I also appreciate that it doesn't have an auto wind/advance.

A close 2nd place is an Oly PEN EE half-frame. Again, it meters really well and the lens (28/f3.5) is sharp. Not very bright, tho.

Though I don't care too much about 35mm film cameras with zoom, I've used a Oly Mju Stylus zoom 105, with a 38-105 f4.5 lens. It took very nice pictures, zoomed smoothly, and took up next to no room in my pocket.

There are tone of these types of zoomable p&s, but none of them really had wider apertures. You'll basically be approaching SLR-size if you want a f1.7 or something, and even bigger if you want zoom, too.

BG28's gear list:BG28's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +2 more
BG28
BG28 Regular Member • Posts: 177

That's a pretty camera! Does the lens extend, with a bellows? Or is that cover just a cover?

BG28's gear list:BG28's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +2 more
ThaQuest
OP ThaQuest Senior Member • Posts: 1,367

Ed B wrote:

ThaQuest wrote:

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

I still shoot a roll of slide film once in a great while because when I switched to digital one of my Canon cameras (EOS3) was only a few months old and I still have that camera.

I hate to see it just sitting around gathering dust plus I've always loved slides.

Anyway, everyone is different but I can't understand why anyone, today, would use a film camera for travel.

Why??

It's fun for a change, and as each roll costs quite a bit of money, to buy and scan, you end up with an extremely high rate of keepers - and they have a very distinct look. I left my digital camera at home on a few short weekend/day trips and have no regrets.

-- hide signature --

www.shenzhenphotos.com

Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +3 more
ZilverHaylide Regular Member • Posts: 487

Ed B wrote:

ThaQuest wrote:

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Why??

Agree, I can't see how film and travel mix anymore. Travel by air and you have inspection and x-ray issues. Travel by whatever means and you need to allow space to bring film, as I don't think you can count on being able to purchase it widely. In many environments, you'll need to protect it from heat. Getting it developed while travelling will also be problematic, and if you wait until you return, you could fail to notice a camera malfunction (increasingly likely with aging cameras), and thus lose all photos past the malfunction.

By all means, continue to enjoy using film if you so choose, but it'd suggest that as a local endevor.

ThaQuest

Ernest M Aquilio wrote:

My choice would be the Konica Hexar AF or my personal favorite the Mamiya 6 w/50mm lens. Those are both hefty so maybe also consider the Olympus XA series

Searching for the "best" is subjective. We all have different requirements. Good luck in your searching!

Expensive! Should have mentioned the $100 price limit. Although I do aspire to the Mamiya 6 or 7 one day...

-- hide signature --

www.shenzhenphotos.com

Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 18,542
iPhone or Samsung Galaxy but just a tad over your $100 (!) limit. Any pawn shops nearby? (nt)
-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber ("Animal House")

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Leica C-Lux +8 more
ThaQuest
Re: iPhone or Samsung Galaxy but just a tad over your $100 (!) limit. Any pawn shops nearby? (nt)

Corkcampbell wrote:

cool idea but i'm happy with my Pixel 2XL as a digital camera

-- hide signature --

www.shenzhenphotos.com

drusus Contributing Member • Posts: 772

ThaQuest wrote:

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Canonet f.17, 40mm lens. Not sure about the price or how easy it is to find one in good condition (i.e. with intact light seals, from what I read).

Full disclosure: it was my first camera and so my judgment is clouded by good memories.

kelstertx Veteran Member • Posts: 4,794

ThaQuest wrote:

Ed B wrote:

ThaQuest wrote:

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Why??

It's fun for a change, and as each roll costs quite a bit of money, to buy and scan, you end up with an extremely high rate of keepers - and they have a very distinct look. I left my digital camera at home on a few short weekend/day trips and have no regrets.

Ugh, money, time, inconvenience, lots of all three. I'm with Ed, I don't see the point at all. I get just as many keepers with digital, but gain the freedom to retake several times just in case one turns out better -- at no additional cost. In fact it's more keepers because if I DID happen to miss something in settings that caused blur, I'd be aware of it then and have the opportunity to reshoot it right there on the spot. When you find you had unknown blur on film, you're in the drugstore back home!

I'm not even going to mention the additional benefit of WiFi sending pics to my wife's phone for insta-posting.  HUGE factor for me.

But it's OP's time, money and effort. If you like it, more power to you. Have fun, OP!

-Kelly

kelstertx's gear list:kelstertx's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +6 more
Leonard Migliore

BG28 wrote:

That's a pretty camera! Does the lens extend, with a bellows? Or is that cover just a cover?

The picture shows the camera in its operating configuration; the lens is extended as far as it will go. The lens retracts and the camera folds to a thin package for carrying.

It is really a superb camera with a great lens. And the way they were built, I'd guess you can still get one in perfect operating condition. My recommendation was not a joke.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 15,405

ThaQuest wrote:

Any other ideas?

There is the Fuji Natura S, with a 24mm f/1.9 fixed prime lens.

Vintage Camera Review: Fuji Natura S is the best point and shoot you've never heard of

The Olympus XA had a 35mm f/2.8 fixed prime lens.  There were other similar models – some of which may have shared that widest aperture setting.

Raymond Cho Senior Member • Posts: 1,754

I am not aware of the F2.0 options. Ricoh GR film camera and Contax T2 etc .. comes to mind as well as the Yahica T4 and Olympus MJU - all the ones with prime lens - not zooms.  They are F2.8.

If you want something like a Fuji X100 size, maybe something like a Nikon FM2 with a prime F2.0 lens? Like a 35mm F2.

Raymond Cho's gear list:Raymond Cho's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D70 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads