70-300 AF-P on the Z series?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 2,612
70-300 AF-P on the Z series?

Just wanted to check before I rent one, but am looking to see if anyone has used one with the Z series + FTZ adapter.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Sony RX100 V Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +8 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 470
Re: 70-300 AF-P on the Z series?

yes - both the dx and fx versions - now have just the fx. The fx in particular excellent on z6. af seems accurate and faster than on dslr (d500).

no issues that ive seen

richard

avatar77 Regular Member • Posts: 100

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Just wanted to check before I rent one, but am looking to see if anyone has used one with the Z series + FTZ adapter.

Yes, bought one specifically for use with my Z6.  It's fantastic.

avatar77's gear list:avatar77's gear list
Nikon Z6 Apple iPhone XS Max
DerKaiser Regular Member • Posts: 158

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Just picked one up with the latest lens sale ($50 off).  Took a few quick shots of birds on feeders in my back yard.  Focus was fast and accurate on my Z6.   It will be my travel telephoto zoom lens.

deepiReview Regular Member • Posts: 434

I have the FX version and it is superb on the Z6 with FTZ. Together with the Z 24-70 F4 this makes for an excellent travel combo covering 24-300 with very high IQ. This is my first Nikon kit and having used several other brands, nothing comes close to this 3 piece kit at this price with such high IQ.

A few casual shots with the 70-300:

Worst case scenario, but handled flare very well and look at the the lens/sensor combo in handling shadow detail and extreme brightness. Flare on top left would have been actually less if I had removed the protective filter:

-- hide signature --
Zuser New Member • Posts: 5

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Works fantastic on both Z7 and Z6. This lens provides amazing sharpness and fast focusing. In relation to size and weight a relief after lugging around for years with the optically outstanding but bulky and heavy 200-500.

Kindest regards,

Stany Buyle

OP sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 2,612

OK thanks to everyone who replied.  I'm going to rent one for my next trip, but might buy one if I end up liking it, as it's not always feasible for me to carry around my 70-200, especially when hiking all day.

Sony RX100 V Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +8 more

....Although I should say that if Nikon has a Z version on the roadmap then maybe I would just wait and buy that one, but regardless, I'll need to rent the current AF-P F-mount version for an upcoming trip.

Depends on when you need it and for how long. I already had the FTZ so I just bought it with $50 off sale. Even if I sell it for half the cost after six months, it will be less than renting it for that period of time. But if you need it for a short while only, obviously renting makes sense. Some places offer rentals with a discount on purchase price if you buy it at end of the rental period.

-- hide signature --
alandalsong Regular Member • Posts: 138

it's a fantastic combination. I would guess that a Z version of the same range zoom could cost much much more than this 70-300 AF-P FX.

alandalsong's gear list:alandalsong's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon D700 Nikon D100 Nikon D80 +4 more
madecov
madecov Veteran Member • Posts: 5,683

Sold my Tamron 70-300 DI VC OSD. Picked up the 70-300 AF-P FX

perfect. It's a great temporary solution until native Z mount lens is available

-- hide signature --

Police Officer (Retired)
No plan survives first contact with the enemy.

madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +19 more

deepiReview wrote:

Depends on when you need it and for how long. I already had the FTZ so I just bought it with $50 off sale. Even if I sell it for half the cost after six months, it will be less than renting it for that period of time. But if you need it for a short while only, obviously renting makes sense. Some places offer rentals with a discount on purchase price if you buy it at end of the rental period.

Yeah I'm a little tempted now, as it's $550 on sale with the current savings promo (regularly $700-750).  It's not a lens I would use a ton, and would mainly be for travel, so maybe a dozen times per year.  I could probably justify buying it at the $550 price.

I use lens rentals so they do give me the option to buy it, but I'd almost rather just buy a new one with a warranty.  I might just go for it.  I figured resale on Nikon glass is still pretty good, so I could probably sell it after the sale ends for what I purchased it if needed.

dko22 Contributing Member • Posts: 925

Unless an equivalent Z mount version is released, I'm likely to stay with this for quite a long time. A 70-200 f4 will probably come but then that only goes to 20mm..... As everyone else has said, this is a very good lens for the price.

dko22's gear list:dko22's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Z6 Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Irix 15mm F2.4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +2 more
MSullivan Regular Member • Posts: 104

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

....Although I should say that if Nikon has a Z version on the roadmap then maybe I would just wait and buy that one, but regardless, I'll need to rent the current AF-P F-mount version for an upcoming trip.

There is rumor of a Z 70-200 f/4 at end of 2020, but no mention of a 70-300 yet. I imagine a 70-300 might not be an "S" lens though, and if not it wouldn't be on the roadmap, so who knows when they'll make one.

MSullivan's gear list:MSullivan's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +4 more

Lensrentals is the best in business. Btw, when you buy from them after renting, you get a brand new item, not the one you are renting. You can check with them when you rent.

-- hide signature --
jthomas39 Forum Member • Posts: 85

AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR

I just got it. I never had a longer telephoto before. Wow, the VR is instantly obvious, looking through the EVF, it's a very shaky view at 300mm with it off, very steady with it switched on.

The auto focus is good, but not quite as fast as the 24-70 Z lens if it starts way out of focus. Lens flare was very good in my quick testing, even with the hood off. Probably not as good as the kit 24-70, which is excellent.

Z6 + FTZ + 70-300: about 1500 grams. (Z6 + S 24-70 is about 1200 grams.)

With auto-ISO, in aperture priority, the Z6 wants to use these as the slowest shutter speeds:

70mm: 1/40, F4.5

300mm: 1/160, F5.6

Handheld, I got pretty consistently sharp results at these speeds.

Size, compared to the kit 24-70:

The strap

I really like the Peak Designs Cuff hand strap. I always used it with the loop all the way open. I didn't like pulling it shut onto my wrist, that was a bit annoying to slide back open before taking the loop off my wrist. I can securely dangle the camera with the loop still open, around the back of my wrist and the clip down into my palm. The synthetic leather keeps the loop straight, so it's easy to put on or pull off my wrist.

I sewed the two sides together (the black dot) to permanently keep the loop this size.

dko22 wrote:

Unless an equivalent Z mount version is released, I'm likely to stay with this for quite a long time. A 70-200 f4 will probably come but then that only goes to 20mm..... As everyone else has said, this is a very good lens for the price.

Yeah I'll probably pull the trigger and get one versus renting.  Especially at $550 purchase price vs. $100 to rent it for 5 days.

BGD300V1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,608

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Yes. Some examples

at 140mm

Left side at 100%

Right Side 100%

at 145mm with Canon 500D achromat

at 300mm with Canon 500D achromat

another with the 500D achromat

and a tight crop

-- hide signature --
 BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D500 Nikon 1 J5 +13 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 470

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

dko22 wrote:

Yeah I'll probably pull the trigger and get one versus renting. Especially at $550 purchase price vs. $100 to rent it for 5 days.

Doubt that you'll be disappointed - a league ahead of previous afs and even the tamron sp

abc123brian Forum Member • Posts: 99

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

dko22 wrote:

Yeah I'll probably pull the trigger and get one versus renting. Especially at $550 purchase price vs. $100 to rent it for 5 days.

I bought one at $550 for the same reasons. I wanted it for an upcoming trip. I haven’t had a chance to use it much, but I have been happy with it so far.

abc123brian's gear list:abc123brian's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z6 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads