Imaging Resource's CP+ interview with Ricoh

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Mistral75
Mistral75 Regular Member • Posts: 482
Re: Imaging Resource's CP+ interview with Ricoh

DS21 wrote:

I have some concerns about the "compact" nature of the mentioned APS-C flagship, it sounds to me like KP form factor or similar, so still no real K-3 successor in shape and ergonomics. If that really happens, that will be the end for me, as well as probably many others.

I for one read Takashi Arai's answer a bit differently.

He points out the two-fold advantage of APS-C over 24x36: compactness and fps. I read that as him hinting at two ranges of APS-C products:

• one putting emphasis on compactness (e.g. KP);
  • the other one on burst rate (e.g. the successor to K-3 II).
Historicity Senior Member • Posts: 1,917

Heliar wrote:

Historicity wrote:

Heliar wrote:

Historicity wrote:

DS21,

Of all the posts thus far, yours is closest to my own impression. I've been hanging out over on Nikon while waiting to see what Ricoh will do. I've still got all my Pentax gear and do use the KP and K1ii regularly, and fully plan to buy the new APS-C flagship when it comes out -- if it has advantages over the KP and D500. But I've noticed, the more time I spend over on Nikon, the less time I spend thinking (I've long since given up worrying) about Pentax.

Lawrence

Maybe that's just me, but I'll never get this waiting for Ricoh to release the "D500-killer" camera. D500 is a wildlife/sports beast and an overkill for anything else. Pentax never had ambitions to go into this market segment and I don't expect that to change. Even such giant as Sony, that drops a ton of money on R&D and marketing is still far away from threatening Nikon's position there.

I have the D500; so I would need the flagship Pentax APS-C to have "some advantages over the D500." I don't find that much difference between the D500 and the KP as far as the sort of shooting I do, and you'll notice that I didn't just say "advantages over the D500." Why would any Pentaxian buy the next Flagship APS-C camera if it had no advantages over the KP?

Well, apologies from my part. I incorrectly assumed it's just one more voice wishing the D500 with a K mount. Speaking from experience, this theme is quite likely to appear any time a discussion about K-3 II replacement comes up.

Anyways, why would anyone expect the next crop "flagship" camera from Ricoh had no advantages over KP? I mean, Ricoh has a history of debatable propositions, but they are not Canon. They shouldn't repeat the 6D story.

I guess I was a bit vague.  I meant advantages I could use.  For example, the D500 is a great birding camera from all reports.  I thought I might learn to get better BIF photos than I've managed in the past, but as soon as I got the camera, birds in flight, other than crows and pigeons, were few, and I wasn't willing to pattern my hikes around something that most likely wouldn't appear.

On my hike yesterday for example, I was using my 16MP Nikon Df with the Tamron 28-200 macro lens -- liking the idea of having a lens I could use for scemeru as well as wild flowers.  The lens was a bit of a disappointment btw, but at one point in the hike, a huge hawk  that I hadn't noticed, flew down from a tree near me, made a wide circuit and ended up on a high branch in another tree.  Neither my camera nor I were prepared for that hawk.  I didn't have the shutter speed high enough and while I might have taken a shot at the setting I had set, 1/250 I think, I wasn't quick enough to do that before the bird was no longer flying.  I set my shutter speed at 1/1000 and prowled about beneath his tree hoping to frighten him into taking to the air.  I did take several pictures of him sitting on his branch.  Looking at the photos later in editing I noticed that the hawk seemed to be sneering.

So I suppose I, theoretically, could use the BIF capability of my D500 -- and I convinced myself of that I could before buying the camera.  I mean this as an example of how loosely I define "features I can use."  If I can rationalize using any of the "new features, new capability, new almost anything" that is on the next edition of the Pentax flagship camera, I'm very likely going to buy it. 

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +112 more
flektogon
flektogon Veteran Member • Posts: 3,770

Historicity wrote:

So when I actually got a KP and used it long enough to get used to it, I decided I liked it after all and much more than I thought I could. Maybe some Olympus nostalgia was involved. In any case, I no longer have any objection to the KP form factor.

Lawrence

Lawrence,

In my opinion (and I tried many different cameras, though far less than you ), the Pentax KP is a fantastic camera, the best what Pentax's ever made!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter

Model Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 3,825

tassosDA wrote:

It would be interesting to see if Ricoh acknowledges that they are lagging behind and if they have any plans to address these serious issues.

I've already lost patience. After decades with Pentax, I have sold all but a core of my Pentax gear in favour of micro 4/3.

The switch was gradual, I now have a Panasonic G9 with the rather nice Pana-Leica 12-60 and am very happy with the results (I shoot raw and print to A3).

The switch was surprisingly seamless - the batteries from the K-5 II work in the G9, and the G80 and G9 native raws are supported in LR 6.

-- hide signature --
Historicity Senior Member • Posts: 1,917

flektogon wrote:

Historicity wrote:

So when I actually got a KP and used it long enough to get used to it, I decided I liked it after all and much more than I thought I could. Maybe some Olympus nostalgia was involved. In any case, I no longer have any objection to the KP form factor.

Lawrence

Lawrence,

In my opinion (and I tried many different cameras, though far less than you ), the Pentax KP is a fantastic camera, the best what Pentax's ever made!

I don't really think in those terms.  I like most of my cameras.  I didn't care for the K-7 all that much, and the D600 got oil stains on the sensor from a faulty shutter.  Fortunately I have a son who thinks he can fix anything; so I just give all that stuff to him. 

The first Pentax camera I gave him was the K20d.  I loved that camera, but I had the K5 by then and he made noises indicated that he really needed a Pentax camera, but sometime later I bought another K20d, and used it recently for some macro shooting and it did as well as the Nikon D200 or D300s. 

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +112 more
Smitty1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,821

DS21 wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

And what a title!
No personal impressions yet, I still have to read it...

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2019/05/14/ricoh-interview-sub-frame-medium-format-dslr-coming-mirrorless-will-return

P.S. Soon we should also have DPR's interview...

Alex

There will be very little posting about this interview, first, because nothing of substance or significance was said (it was mostly Theta), and second, Pentax is already heading to oblivion, and diminished interest and activity on the forum is reflecting this. Ricoh execs clearly are in self sufficient mode, don't care about the market realities and competition, and unlike Theta and GR, Pentax is to them just one fairly expensive and luxurius hobby. As long as they don't lose interest in this hobby, Pentax is still not completely doomed, there will be a miniscule market presence, and you could still buy some new products, whenever they eventually depart the great Ricoh secrecy cloak and become available.

These interviews are just PR advertisements.  And, if you approach them in this manner, it is easy to understand why they say what they say.

They want everyone to believe the brand is well to protect the brand.

On the other hand, the other players could simply be doing the same PR stunt in reverse.

In the end, just buy and use the camera and system that has the parts at the moment that "you" feel is optimal for "you" and don't try to argue "your" reasoning to those that disagree.  It only matters to you, the individual.

Heliar Forum Member • Posts: 89

Batdude wrote:

Whenever I see my subject thru the OVF I never see anything "beautiful" hahahaha! so that reason and explanation from Ricoh sucks. I don't buy it.

When you look through the OVF, you see the world, exactly as it is. If you never see anything 'beautiful' there, why bother taking pictures?

For me, the view from the OVF is an important thing in the picture taking process. I feel (and I'd like to emphasize this word, as it is definitely a subjective thing) that in this brief moment, with the camera up to my eye, the connection to the world as it really is, with no imposed 'translations' between me and the subject, enhances the impression of being a part of that world; not just witnessing as an observer, but also living through this exact moment I want to preserve.

It's also why I adore using manual focus lenses. It's a multisensory experience, both visual and tactile, and I simply love seeing the subject emerge from shifting planes of focus. It's almost a 'cinematic' thing in some way.

As a general remark, I feel like we're living through weird times in photography. People are very goal oriented and view the picture taking process as an obstacle. Camera is a necessary evil and a potential source of problems. Its first and only goal is to provide the best possible image file (or rather, a file that has not been ruined too much), measured solely by AF accuracy and resolving power of the lenses. The rest can be added/corrected in post, most of it automated. And then almost no one makes a print, because you cannot share a print through social media.

Maybe I'm just a grumpy weirdo that belongs to another planet, but I think something important is missing in all this.

Just my 2c

Heliar's gear list:Heliar's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +5 more
OP Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 10,067

Heliar wrote:

Batdude wrote:

Whenever I see my subject thru the OVF I never see anything "beautiful" hahahaha! so that reason and explanation from Ricoh sucks. I don't buy it.

When you look through the OVF, you see the world, exactly as it is. If you never see anything 'beautiful' there, why bother taking pictures?

Ha ha, I like that!

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
DS21 Senior Member • Posts: 2,416

Smitty1 wrote:

DS21 wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

And what a title!
No personal impressions yet, I still have to read it...

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2019/05/14/ricoh-interview-sub-frame-medium-format-dslr-coming-mirrorless-will-return

P.S. Soon we should also have DPR's interview...

Alex

There will be very little posting about this interview, first, because nothing of substance or significance was said (it was mostly Theta), and second, Pentax is already heading to oblivion, and diminished interest and activity on the forum is reflecting this. Ricoh execs clearly are in self sufficient mode, don't care about the market realities and competition, and unlike Theta and GR, Pentax is to them just one fairly expensive and luxurius hobby. As long as they don't lose interest in this hobby, Pentax is still not completely doomed, there will be a miniscule market presence, and you could still buy some new products, whenever they eventually depart the great Ricoh secrecy cloak and become available.

These interviews are just PR advertisements. And, if you approach them in this manner, it is easy to understand why they say what they say.

They want everyone to believe the brand is well to protect the brand.

On the other hand, the other players could simply be doing the same PR stunt in reverse.

In the end, just buy and use the camera and system that has the parts at the moment that "you" feel is optimal for "you" and don't try to argue "your" reasoning to those that disagree. It only matters to you, the individual.

That/s fine, but what if the sole reason for sticking with the brand is because of what they produced in the past, in other words you need just some present body of that mount, to use the old legacy and third party glass, the part you really like. That is the trap Pentax is in, a too large number of users are staying because of Pentax from the past, and are not willing to invest in expensive purchases of Pentax of today (lenses), or build the modern system, because of lack of direction from Ricoh what is happening with the brand, are they in, or just coasting until further notice. Since there is no other source of information from them, these interviews become all there is, and then it gets analyzed out of proportion.

Would you comfortably recommend somebody today, to invest in Pentax system from scratch?

Was it easier to recommend that when Ricoh took over 5 years ago, and things were happening much faster? These are the real questions, that need honest answers, if we are at the individual level, as you say, and what matters to an individual.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-01 Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus Stylus 1 +1 more
Batdude
Batdude Senior Member • Posts: 4,052

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Heliar wrote:

Batdude wrote:

Ha ha, I like that!

Alex

Yeah the world is exactly as it is but unfortunately usually the image doesn’t hahahaha! 😀

if we are shooting in the world at approximately 2pm our image might come out a bit overexposed so we chimp a few times till we get what we want.

if we are shooting in low light heck we might even shoot flash so there we go chimping again.  I’m sorry but our Camera’s OVF doesn’t have anything to do with how the world actually is.  When people were shooting with film that was even worse and usually the photos were a surprise, they either came out fantastic or destroyed.

EVF makes things a lot easier and is great for several different applications.  You got all poetic on me with the OVF world thing and that’s nice 😊 but you didn’t get the point.

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Heliar Forum Member • Posts: 89

Batdude wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Heliar wrote:

Batdude wrote:

Ha ha, I like that!

Alex

Yeah the world is exactly as it is but unfortunately usually the image doesn’t hahahaha! 😀

if we are shooting in the world at approximately 2pm our image might come out a bit overexposed so we chimp a few times till we get what we want.

if we are shooting in low light heck we might even shoot flash so there we go chimping again. I’m sorry but our Camera’s OVF doesn’t have anything to do with how the world actually is. When people were shooting with film that was even worse and usually the photos were a surprise, they either came out fantastic or destroyed.

EVF makes things a lot easier and is great for several different applications. You got all poetic on me with the OVF world thing and that’s nice 😊 but you didn’t get the point.

Well, you don't have to point out the advantages of live exposure preview in EVFs - even though I personally don't find it as useful, seeing how proper exposure is IMO very easy to learn (and even if one struggles, modern sensors have quite a bit of latitude to make up for mistakes).

Anyway, I just wanted to show you a perspective (a 'poetic' one, if you so insist) which points out why some people might prefer OVFs.

Heliar's gear list:Heliar's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +5 more
bob5050 Contributing Member • Posts: 836

Heliar wrote:

Anyway, I just wanted to show you a perspective (a 'poetic' one, if you so insist) which points out why some people might prefer OVFs.

Personally, I thought you expressed it very well.

bob5050

bob5050's gear list:bob5050's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +4 more
Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic Senior Member • Posts: 2,937
Fantastic news: Pentax as industry leader

Alex Sarbu wrote:

And what a title! No personal impressions yet, I still have to read it...

P.S. Soon we should also have DPR's interview... Alex

To my ears, this sounds like this: the manager obviously speaks about Pentax plans and intentions. His words convey a plan, so to speak, in which Pentax intends to lead the innovation in the DSLR field.

It will produce a wave of positive changes, follow-ups, and sincere imitations (by Pentax closest DSLR competitors Nikon and Canon), which will collectively shift the purchasing power of the market to reconsider the DSLRs once again.

"The last roar of the dinosaurs?"  Yeah, "right".
This is fantastic. If the impact is stronger, it may persuade players like Sony, Panasonic, Fujifilm and others to rethink their mirrorless strategies, and invest in the DSLR designs.

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Leica X2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +3 more
Mistral75
Mistral75 Regular Member • Posts: 482
Re: Fantastic news: Pentax as industry leader

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

(...)

It will produce a wave of positive changes, follow-ups, and sincere imitations (by Pentax closest DSLR competitors Nikon and Canon), which will collectively shift the purchasing power of the market to reconsider the DSLRs once again.

(...)
This is fantastic. If the impact is stronger, it may persuade players like Sony, Panasonic, Fujifilm and others to rethink their mirrorless strategies, and invest in the DSLR designs.

Could you pass the joint around? Seems to be top quality.

Chris Mak Senior Member • Posts: 2,271

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

To my ears, this sounds like this: the manager obviously speaks about Pentax plans and intentions. His words convey a plan, so to speak, in which Pentax intends to lead the innovation in the DSLR field.

"The last roar of the dinosaurs?" Yeah, "right".

I think you are not seeing this through fully. Pentax may not have spilled the beans yet, but they are actually planning a full return to film dslr cameras, and are preparing contracts with fuji and kodak to produce new revolutionary high end film types on a massive scale, so they will be ready when the photographic world realizes the mistake of going digital, and heads back on an equally massive scale to the film era. Digital dslr cameras, including mirrorless, will continue to exist, but merely as a conventional alternative for the very lazy shooters. The worldwide collapse of the photography market is in truth not at all related to the smart phone advent, but is a sign that a grand realization is taking place that digital photography is a big mistake, and people are dead wrong wasting their money on digital cameras and lenses optimized for digital, and are very wise to save up their money for the coming Pentax film revival landslide.....

Chris

Chris Mak's gear list:Chris Mak's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony a7R II Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
Dale108
Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,724

Well said Chris!

Dale

Chris Mak wrote:

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

I think you are not seeing this through fully. Pentax may not have spilled the beans yet, but they are actually planning a full return to film dslr cameras, and are preparing contracts with fuji and kodak to produce new revolutionary high end film types on a massive scale, so they will be ready when the photographic world realizes the mistake of going digital, and heads back on an equally massive scale to the film era. Digital dslr cameras, including mirrorless, will continue to exist, but merely as a conventional alternative for the very lazy shooters. The worldwide collapse of the photography market is in truth not at all related to the smart phone advent, but is a sign that a grand realization is taking place that digital photography is a big mistake, and people are dead wrong wasting their money on digital cameras and lenses optimized for digital, and are very wise to save up their money for the coming Pentax film revival landslide.....

Chris

Dale108's gear list:Dale108's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Chris Mak Senior Member • Posts: 2,271

Dale108 wrote:

Well said Chris!

Dale

Well Dale, I may be a Canon shooter now, but I am still following the Pentax news now and then, and strangely, I still miss my DA560 at times. I t was such a lovely lens and paired great with the K3 series. It has given me many wonderful shots with great detail and color. Bit it also lost me many one-time opportunity shots.

I can understand people preferring a dslr, I prefer a dslr in some ways. But I don't think people should get too exited when Ricoh officials try to make a case for avoiding the shift to mirrorless technologies. For instance, I struggled with auto focus as long as I can remember with long lens shooting. It was one of the major reasons to move away from Pentax, but it has turned out that, although a great deal faster, the 7DII struggles in just the same way under similar conditions as did the K3. Atmospherics, paper thin DOF, low contrast, you name it: only one or two critically sharp images in every 10 or so. The real difference came unexpectedly from my Sony A7rII: with the Sigma mc-11 it only needs one or two tries, and perfect focus in almost all circumstances. So now I am selling my 7DII and use the Canon lens on a mirrorless body, despite the unattractive view in the EVF. What good is taking hundres of images through a glorious OVF, only to find a dozen critically sharp?

Only meaning to say, that there are compelling reasons why Canon and Nikon have joined Sony. If Pentax wants to have a future, Ricoh should not resort to utopian views on DSLR cameras. Just my opinion.

Chris

Chris Mak's gear list:Chris Mak's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony a7R II Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
Batdude
Batdude Senior Member • Posts: 4,052

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Fujifilm and Sony ain't gonna be persuaded to invest into DSLR.  Fuji doesn't make DSLR and Sony left DSLR and has moved on.  Actually Fuji did leave DSLR as well.  They ain't going back to that so you can kiss that idea good bye.

Canon and Nikon who knows that the heck is going to happen to those two.  It is too uncertain and their ML first gen systems were not a home run.

I've always said this Pentax does have a chance here, probably only one more chance to get it right and they do make a fantastic product, no doubt, but they need to stop moving like a turtle and they have to come up with an updated AF, not "update" based on their existing lame AF but a true updated AF based on what everyone else has already.  And lenses OMG they seriously need to speed things up.  The last thing they need to do is to show some serious interest in their own brand, which they clearly don't.

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Tom Lusk Senior Member • Posts: 1,674

Batdude wrote:

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Fujifilm and Sony ain't gonna be persuaded to invest into DSLR. Fuji doesn't make DSLR and Sony left DSLR and has moved on. Actually Fuji did leave DSLR as well. They ain't going back to that so you can kiss that idea good bye.

Canon and Nikon who knows that the heck is going to happen to those two. It is too uncertain and their ML first gen systems were not a home run.

I've always said this Pentax does have a chance here, probably only one more chance to get it right and they do make a fantastic product, no doubt, but they need to stop moving like a turtle and they have to come up with an updated AF, not "update" based on their existing lame AF but a true updated AF based on what everyone else has already. And lenses OMG they seriously need to speed things up. The last thing they need to do is to show some serious interest in their own brand, which they clearly don't.

Methinks you failed to recognize the sarcasm...

Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic Senior Member • Posts: 2,937
Mirrorless is dead end of photography.

Tom Lusk wrote:

Batdude wrote:

Canon and Nikon who knows that the heck is going to happen to those two. It is too uncertain and their ML first gen systems were not a home run.

I've always said this Pentax does have a chance here, probably only one more chance to get it right and they do make a fantastic product, no doubt, but they need to stop moving like a turtle and they have to come up with an updated AF, not "update" based on their existing lame AF but a true updated AF based on what everyone else has already. And lenses OMG they seriously need to speed things up. The last thing they need to do is to show some serious interest in their own brand, which they clearly don't.

Methinks you failed to recognize the sarcasm...

I was not sarcastic. I already wrote somewhere that the digital mirrorless is the dead end of photography, and that includes smartphones.

It is the dead end because all physicality about the photographic tools and objective assessment of equipment is gone from the equation.

The camera has become a box loaded with chips and software that do all the job for us, most of it we have no idea how or why it is done. The loss of physicality is so extreme with the digital mirrorless that even a lens in a mirrorless camera can be utter rubbish but it will be corrected in the software and no one will know how it really behaves.

All objective measurements are gone.

Mirrorless lenses can't be used between different mirrorless systems, and this causes rapid shrinking of the camera market because each mirrorless lens system has become a separated island that cannot communicate with its neighbour.

This is the antithesis of the SLR era; in the SLR era, photography expanded rapidly and in all walks of life thanks to a concept of interchangeable lenses with longer flange distance that can be shared among the different camera makers.

Software correction did not exist then, cameras and all equipment had to be physically very well made and up to a high standard. Within the same film format, it was guaranteed that the lens will work regardless of the camera behind it.

Now all that is gone. Digital photography has become a type of Pocket Tanks game, in which players devise own pathetic and proprietary camera and lens systems that cannot talk to each other, but only shoot bombs at each other while destroying the landscape.

However, that physicality of the SLR era has become deformed physicality with the digital SLR (DSLR), especially with the shift towards the FF.

For various wrong reasons, the lenses and cameras grew in size considerably, to the point that they impose an impediment in everyday use. It affected me too; the strain in my shoulder and visits to the doctors forced me to use lightweight digital mirrorless equipment. I am not very happy about it, because I seem to be eating my own words about the dead end of photography, but I chose M43, because it is the closest idea to the more open SLR era than anything else available on the market today.

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Leica X2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads