Imaging Resource's CP+ interview with Ricoh

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 10,165
Imaging Resource's CP+ interview with Ricoh

And what a title!
No personal impressions yet, I still have to read it...

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2019/05/14/ricoh-interview-sub-frame-medium-format-dslr-coming-mirrorless-will-return

P.S. Soon we should also have DPR's interview...

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
OP Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 10,165
Re: Imaging Resource's CP+ interview with Ricoh

Summary:

"Hiraku Kawauchi: Secret. Still secret. <laughs> We have so many secrets. <laughs>"

Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
DougOB
DougOB Senior Member • Posts: 1,109

Alex Sarbu wrote:

And what a title!

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2019/05/14/ricoh-interview-sub-frame-medium-format-dslr-coming-mirrorless-will-return

I read a lot of praise for OVFs...

Doug

DougOB's gear list:DougOB's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax Q-S1 Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +30 more
Heliar Forum Member • Posts: 97

Alex Sarbu wrote:

And what a title!

Alex

"Hiroki Sugahara: So the DSLR market is currently decreasing a little bit, but one year or two years or three years later, it will [begin] getting higher.

Dave Etchells: You think it will return, will start growing again.

Hiroki Sugahara: Yeah. Yes, yes."

This is one hell of an optimist perspective, I have to say.

Heliar's gear list:Heliar's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +5 more
DS21 Senior Member • Posts: 2,416

Alex Sarbu wrote:

And what a title!

Alex

There will be very little posting about this interview, first, because nothing of substance or significance was said (it was mostly Theta), and second, Pentax is already  heading to oblivion, and diminished interest and activity on the forum is reflecting this. Ricoh execs clearly are in  self sufficient mode, don't care about the market realities and competition,  and unlike Theta and GR, Pentax is to them just one fairly expensive  and luxurius hobby. As long as they don't lose interest in this hobby, Pentax is still not completely doomed, there will be a miniscule market presence, and you could still buy some new products, whenever they eventually depart the great Ricoh secrecy cloak and become available.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-01 Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus Stylus 1 +1 more
Tom Lusk Senior Member • Posts: 1,675

Heliar wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

And what a title!

Alex

"Hiroki Sugahara: So the DSLR market is currently decreasing a little bit, but one year or two years or three years later, it will [begin] getting higher.

Dave Etchells: "Sounds reasonable." Rolls eyes.

Tom Lusk wrote:

Heliar wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

And what a title!

Alex

Inventing what people (did not) say or do is a bit dishonest, don't you think?

The DSLR market growing again in 2-3 years might be hard to believe, but please state your own opinions as your own opinions.

Alex

The Squirrel Mafia
The Squirrel Mafia Regular Member • Posts: 475

The APS-C part sounds good to me.

The Squirrel Mafia's gear list:The Squirrel Mafia's gear list
Pentax K-50 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +1 more
Batdude
Batdude Senior Member • Posts: 4,076

This is the reason why Ricoh is not going ML?

"But I believe the DSLR has its own appealing point, because users can create their own image from the optical viewfinder. People can see the beautiful image through the optical viewfinder, and then think how they can create their pictures -- for example, exposure level setting or white balance or ISO [sensitivity] -- and then imagine how they can get [the result they're seeking]."

I shoot with both systems, one DSLR and one ML and whenever I look thru the OVF of my DSLR none of the reasons above come into play.  Prior to taking a photo I do see what my surrounding is, like lots of light or poor low light, so I do have an idea of how I need to set my camera, but the very first thing I do after pressing the shutter is to chimp to check the photo, then I usually have to make a few more adjustments.

That's right, the exposure is usually the very first thing we want to look at, then we can get an idea of what we want to do from there then we proceed to PP to get creative and do our art.  Whenever I see my subject thru the OVF I never see anything "beautiful" hahahaha! so that reason and explanation from Ricoh sucks.  I don't buy it.

Yeah DSLR has it's strengths that's one of the reasons why I still use them and I would not mind buying another Pentax DSLR, but IMHO OVF is old technology and we will always have to chimp with them, which is really annoying.  Trying to check and chimp thru your photos when you are doing a wedding (among many other things) is one of THE worst experiences ever.  OVF is going to go away soon.

Does Ricoh think we are little ignorant children or something?  Man those guys really need to work on what they say during interviews.  That's just my opinion.

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Lessiter Forum Member • Posts: 96

Every single time I've tried evf the poor white balance and colour reproduction convinced me I'd hate to use it.

It makes a beautiful scene with subtle light look like a VCR screendump.

It would however, as you point out, be great to have better exposure info in the viewfinder somehow.

5r82 Regular Member • Posts: 261

Perhaps they can make a hybrid viewfinder i.e. keep the OVF but add electronic aids for manual focusing in the viewfinder. That would be the best of both worlds.

5r82's gear list:5r82's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
Historicity Senior Member • Posts: 1,917

DS21 wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

And what a title!

Alex

There will be very little posting about this interview, first, because nothing of substance or significance was said (it was mostly Theta), and second, Pentax is already heading to oblivion, and diminished interest and activity on the forum is reflecting this. Ricoh execs clearly are in self sufficient mode, don't care about the market realities and competition, and unlike Theta and GR, Pentax is to them just one fairly expensive and luxurius hobby. As long as they don't lose interest in this hobby, Pentax is still not completely doomed, there will be a miniscule market presence, and you could still buy some new products, whenever they eventually depart the great Ricoh secrecy cloak and become available.

DS21,

Of all the posts thus far, yours is closest to my own impression. I've been hanging out over on Nikon while waiting to see what Ricoh will do. I've still got all my Pentax gear and do use the KP and K1ii regularly, and fully plan to buy the new APS-C flagship when it comes out -- if it has advantages over the KP and D500. But I've noticed, the more time I spend over on Nikon, the less time I spend thinking (I've long since given up worrying) about Pentax.

I've encountered several other Pentaxians over on Nikon. Maybe half of them have abandoned Pentax entirely. The other half is hanging onto their favorite Pentax gear and checking from time to time to see if Ricoh is doing anything. Well, Ricoh is. The GRIII near the time of Pentax's 100-years anniversary. The Theta. Underwater cameras. As to Pentax gear, Pentax what? Ho hum.

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +112 more
frozenshiver New Member • Posts: 6

5r82 wrote:

Perhaps they can make a hybrid viewfinder i.e. keep the OVF but add electronic aids for manual focusing in the viewfinder. That would be the best of both worlds.

They should go for a fixed mirror dslr design like the sony a99. That would be the best of both worlds. Hybrid viewfinder and hybrid AF with higher precision. Future proof and even eye AF could be possible. This could bring the mirrorless goodies to Pentax without the need to develop a new mount.

Batdude
Batdude Senior Member • Posts: 4,076

Lessiter wrote:

Every single time I've tried evf the poor white balance and colour reproduction convinced me I'd hate to use it.

and which DSLR has an OVF that displays great WB and color reproduction?

Yes EVF is not great in some cameras but that’s not the point.

It makes a beautiful scene with subtle light look like a VCR screendump.

It would however, as you point out, be great to have better exposure info in the viewfinder somehow.

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 8,277

Heliar wrote:

Apparently Canon doesn't believe that.

"...we will steadily shift our focus from DSLR to mirrorless cameras..."

- Canon financial document

Batdude wrote:

Lessiter wrote:

and which DSLR has an OVF that displays great WB and color reproduction?

Most of them, and definitely the Pentax ones

Alex

tassosDA Regular Member • Posts: 359

Ok, I read the whole interview but I can't say that I am any wiser than I was before. Typical Ricoh interview: No useful informations at all!, except that they like ovfs and believe that dslrs are going to rise again!

tassosDA's gear list:tassosDA's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +4 more
Tom Lusk Senior Member • Posts: 1,675

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Tom Lusk wrote:

Heliar wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

And what a title!

Alex

Inventing what people (did not) say or do is a bit dishonest, don't you think?

The DSLR market growing again in 2-3 years might be hard to believe, but please state your own opinions as your own opinions.

Alex

So sorry, Alex. I didn't think anyone would take the addition to the comments seriously, but there is always someone...

Will you please apologize to Mr. Etchells on my behalf so that I don't get sued or arrested?

Should I put a smiley face?

I probably should.

There. That's better.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,680

Batdude wrote:

This is the reason why Ricoh is not going ML?

"But I believe the DSLR has its own appealing point, because users can create their own image from the optical viewfinder. People can see the beautiful image through the optical viewfinder, and then think how they can create their pictures -- for example, exposure level setting or white balance or ISO [sensitivity] -- and then imagine how they can get [the result they're seeking]."

I shoot with both systems, one DSLR and one ML and whenever I look thru the OVF of my DSLR none of the reasons above come into play. Prior to taking a photo I do see what my surrounding is, like lots of light or poor low light, so I do have an idea of how I need to set my camera, but the very first thing I do after pressing the shutter is to chimp to check the photo, then I usually have to make a few more adjustments.

That's right, the exposure is usually the very first thing we want to look at, then we can get an idea of what we want to do from there then we proceed to PP to get creative and do our art. Whenever I see my subject thru the OVF I never see anything "beautiful" hahahaha! so that reason and explanation from Ricoh sucks. I don't buy it.

Yeah DSLR has it's strengths that's one of the reasons why I still use them and I would not mind buying another Pentax DSLR, but IMHO OVF is old technology and we will always have to chimp with them, which is really annoying. Trying to check and chimp thru your photos when you are doing a wedding (among many other things) is one of THE worst experiences ever. OVF is going to go away soon.

Does Ricoh think we are little ignorant children or something? Man those guys really need to work on what they say during interviews. That's just my opinion.

They probably give their users credit for knowing enough that they don’t have to chimp every exposure.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,680

justmeMN wrote:

Heliar wrote:

Apparently Canon doesn't believe that.

"...we will steadily shift our focus from DSLR to mirrorless cameras..."

- Canon financial document

Read that as “remember the FD mount and how we screwed over our user base? We hope people have a short memory because we are about to do it again”.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads