Which RAW converter do you use?

Started 2 months ago | Polls
davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 5,391
Re: #1 ... Adobe or DxO? With #3 going to C1

Digital Nigel wrote:

IanYorke wrote:

Archer66 wrote:

IanYorke wrote:

An interesting poll, for a change

What strikes me the most is that, on 16 May, with the results so far is the popularity of DXO.

With less than 120 "votes" this poll does not give real world results what is popular and whats not.

Agreed, but still surprising for these forums where I expected Adobe to be the major response by far. I always think of DXO-PL 2 as being a product I often recommend but very niche.

I wonder if a lot of LR users started using DxO for high ISO RAW processing because of PRIME? And maybe some then switched all their RAW processing to DxO, maybe still using LR as the Dyin AM and PS for layer editing?

I'm trying a workflow starting with PL2 because I think it gives the best conversion of my M4/3 files.

First,though, I copy all the images into the folder structure that underpins my Lightroom installation

In PL2 I just use PRIME noise reduction and a little smart lighting before passing (generally in batches) to Lightroom as linear dng.  I only do this for the images that I think are worth more work, so these are the only ones that get imported into Lightroom.  You could call this a "soft cull"

I then do pretty much everything else in Lightroom.  I've been using it for a few years, and I think I know my way around it pretty well.

I now can't remember the last time I used layers, but if I need to I have Photoshop (never mastered) and On1 Photo10.  I also have the Nik stuff, which I use for B&W.   Maybe some day I'll see what else DxO's Control Point tools can give me, but I do like to have as many of the non-destructive edits in one place as possible.

Dave

 davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +2 more
tokumeino Senior Member • Posts: 2,323
Re: #1 ... Adobe or DxO? With #3 going to C1

IanYorke wrote:

You do get the lens corrections particularly for Mirrorless that come as a shock to LR users as it enforces the jpg lens correction on raw images. Losing a significant part of your image for some lenses is not a pixel peeping difference. I am amazed that LR doesn't fix this but assume that there must be a good reason for them not doing so.

You are totally right I've switched from LR to C1P because of that.

And I think that it is even worse : you can use the checkbox to enable/disable the profile, but it has no effect. They have put effort in coding to disable a useful feature !! And it's not a manufacturer will : my body typically allows me to disable lens correction (so Fuji is perfectly comfortable with that) and even LR in that case, LR forces the sensor to be cropped.

As you state, the issue is not a subtle pixel peeping one. You can see the difference on a 320x200 picture in 256 colors.

I will continue with C1Pro but I will watch the next release of DXO-PL with more interest. I think they will integrate the NIK plugins into DXO-PL, probably by a dedicated button to "edit with NIK". I do like the U-Point technology and although there is no plugin for C1Pro I can just "open with" from C1Pro to send the raw file to DXO-PL 2

Before investing in Fuji, I've used DXO and it rocks, indeed. I didn't like Prime because it does introduce many artifacts (no free lunch), but Viewpoint is so wonderful !

 tokumeino's gear list:tokumeino's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Canon G7 X II +6 more
Denis de Gannes
Denis de Gannes Senior Member • Posts: 1,870
Re: Which RAW converter do you use?

clickclack wrote:

Adobe Camera Raw, which is used by Lightroom, Bridge, and Photoshop. Lightroom itself is not a RAW convertor?

Lightroom is complete stand alone application and has the same raw conversion engine as Adobe Camera Raw plugin built into the application. Lightroom does not require any other Adobe application to be installed on your computer for it to function. And yes processing RAW file data is one of it’s primary functions.

Photoshop on the other hand uses the Adobe Camera Raw plugin to carry out processing of raw image files.

In the event you also have Adobe Photoshop installed with the equivalent to Lightroom and you use the “edit in Photoshop” function in Lightroom to send a RAW file for further editing Photoshop will boot and use ACR to render the raw file with the edits applied in Lightroom and open in Photoshop. After completing your work in Photoshop and you save a tiff or psd file, depending on your selection, will be created alongside the raw file and will be available in the LR Catalog.

Denis de Gannes

 Denis de Gannes's gear list:Denis de Gannes's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +1 more
IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 3,254
Re: #1 ... Adobe or DxO? With #3 going to C1

RebDovid2 wrote:

IanYorke wrote:

[snip]

Agreed, but still surprising for these forums where I expected Adobe to be the major response by far. I always think of DXO-PL 2 as being a product I often recommend but very niche.

Ian

Whats the niche?

I meant by perceived market share. We all know that Adobe is the market leader by a long, long way for raw converters with LR. Personally, I have always considered DXO to be a small player because OpticsPro did not have any local editing capability which for me made it severely limited. DXO-PL 2 does have good local editing and my feelings about it had not caught up. It is obviously performing better than I thought.

Ian

Gitzer Junior Member • Posts: 49
Re: Alien Skin Exposure.. Good.. What about CHROMATIC ABERRATION CORRECTION?

gaul wrote:

I thought it was the big minus of this soft..

Gaul,

I just asked Alien Skin about your CAC question. Their reply:

"Chromatic aberration correction is near the top of our list of new features to add".

They are continually updating Exposure so I think this should not be too far away.

 Gitzer's gear list:Gitzer's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 +4 more
Andy Hewitt Veteran Member • Posts: 3,892
Re: Which RAW converter do you use?

Dareshooter wrote:

Lightroom CC is no more so it's now Lightoom and Lightroom Classic.

Not entirely accurate.

Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic are what we have now.

Lightroom ceased to continue. Lightroom CC became Lightroom Classic. Lightroom CC since late 2017 is a new product unrelated to the previous versions.

They created a complete nightmare with their decision on naming convention.

-- hide signature --

Andy

 Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Corel Aftershot Pro +8 more
OP gaul Contributing Member • Posts: 662
Re: Alien Skin Exposure.. Good.. What about CHROMATIC ABERRATION CORRECTION?

Thx, good for them to reply openly

Robgo2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,050
Re: Which RAW converter do you use?

I know that I'm an outlier, but having tried or used almost all of the latest raw converters, I still prefer Photo Ninja over everything else.

brucet
brucet Veteran Member • Posts: 3,305
Re: Which RAW converter do you use?

I gave up reading without seeing Nikon's own NX-D.

regards

-- hide signature --

I thought I made a mistake once. But I was wrong!
https://500px.com/brucetreloar
https://www.brucetreloar.blogspot.com.au

 brucet's gear list:brucet's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
SplitCase New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Which RAW converter do you use?

I manage to get by converting with software provided by the manufacturers of my cameras.

-- hide signature --

SplitCase

Dave_Good Contributing Member • Posts: 502
Re: Which RAW converter do you use?

RawTherapee 5.6....previously used: Capture One, LR (v1-v5.6), DPP.

 Dave_Good's gear list:Dave_Good's gear list
Sony a7 II Tokina 20mm F2 FE MF Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +3 more
OP gaul Contributing Member • Posts: 662
Re: Which RAW converter do you use?

Dave_Good wrote:

RawTherapee 5.6....previously used: Capture One, LR (v1-v5.6), DPP.

Your opinions on these would be interesting ..  Not too difficult to switch from LR, then C1 to the opensource RawTherapee (less user-friendly?)

Dave_Good Contributing Member • Posts: 502
Re: Which RAW converter do you use?
2

gaul wrote:

Dave_Good wrote:

RawTherapee 5.6....previously used: Capture One, LR (v1-v5.6), DPP.

Your opinions on these would be interesting .. Not too difficult to switch from LR, then C1 to the opensource RawTherapee (less user-friendly?)

No, not difficult at all. My initial motivation was financial as I'm on a pension now. After all these years working raws I find the tools to be mostly the same in the converters (imho). At first glance RT can be overwhelming but it's easy to just collapse the tools you don't use. Future versions will add a Favorites tab to drag and drop just the tools you want.

RT's ability to use both DNG and ICC camera profiles is a plus if making your ownand I do. Demosaicing choices, deconvolution sharpening, and wavelets (still learning) are a few of the other reasons for my switch. It does lack adjustment layers such as in LR and C1 but for my purposes that's not a deal-breaker. Give it a try...

Dave

 Dave_Good's gear list:Dave_Good's gear list
Sony a7 II Tokina 20mm F2 FE MF Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +3 more
OP gaul Contributing Member • Posts: 662
DarkTable and RawTherapee the 2 undisputed alternatives for 0 $
1

Dave_Good wrote:

gaul wrote:

Dave_Good wrote:

RawTherapee 5.6....previously used: Capture One, LR (v1-v5.6), DPP.

Your opinions on these would be interesting .. Not too difficult to switch from LR, then C1 to the opensource RawTherapee (less user-friendly?)

No, not difficult at all. My initial motivation was financial as I'm on a pension now. After all these years working raws I find the tools to be mostly the same in the converters (imho). At first glance RT can be overwhelming but it's easy to just collapse the tools you don't use. Future versions will add a Favorites tab to drag and drop just the tools you want.

RT's ability to use both DNG and ICC camera profiles is a plus if making your ownand I do. Demosaicing choices, deconvolution sharpening, and wavelets (still learning) are a few of the other reasons for my switch. It does lack adjustment layers such as in LR and C1 but for my purposes that's not a deal-breaker. Give it a try...

Dave

Fully agree Dave.. Both DarkTable and RawTherapee are the 2 undisputed FREE alternatives to LR & co..

If you can get for 0 $ the same results, only with a longer learning curve and some settings to change, why not?

tokumeino Senior Member • Posts: 2,323
Why not using DT

gaul wrote:

Dave_Good wrote:

gaul wrote:

Dave_Good wrote:

RawTherapee 5.6....previously used: Capture One, LR (v1-v5.6), DPP.

Your opinions on these would be interesting .. Not too difficult to switch from LR, then C1 to the opensource RawTherapee (less user-friendly?)

No, not difficult at all. My initial motivation was financial as I'm on a pension now. After all these years working raws I find the tools to be mostly the same in the converters (imho). At first glance RT can be overwhelming but it's easy to just collapse the tools you don't use. Future versions will add a Favorites tab to drag and drop just the tools you want.

RT's ability to use both DNG and ICC camera profiles is a plus if making your ownand I do. Demosaicing choices, deconvolution sharpening, and wavelets (still learning) are a few of the other reasons for my switch. It does lack adjustment layers such as in LR and C1 but for my purposes that's not a deal-breaker. Give it a try...

Dave

Fully agree Dave.. Both DarkTable and RawTherapee are the 2 undisputed FREE alternatives to LR & co..

If you can get for 0 $ the same results, only with a longer learning curve and some settings to change, why not?

Well… whatever positive I think about DT (which I consider as the best RAW developer I know, by far), I'm using C1P thus sacrifying end-quality result. Why ? Because DT is somfortable with a GTX1060, and I only have a laptop with a MX150. While such a configuration is nice for most operations, as soon as I put NR modules (like the 2 regular ones : one wavelet chroma blended, and the other non-local-means luminance blended), it is no longer comfortable to use. I mean : worst than LR. So to me, C1P is less expensive than a super high-end laptop.

 tokumeino's gear list:tokumeino's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Canon G7 X II +6 more
Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,820
Re: Which RAW converter do you use?

Andy Hewitt wrote:

Dareshooter wrote:

Lightroom CC is no more so it's now Lightoom and Lightroom Classic.

Not entirely accurate.

Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic are what we have now.

Lightroom ceased to continue. Lightroom CC became Lightroom Classic. Lightroom CC since late 2017 is a new product unrelated to the previous versions.

They created a complete nightmare with their decision on naming convention.

And now they've changed that naming convention and the ambiguity is no more.

Dave_Good Contributing Member • Posts: 502
Re: DarkTable and RawTherapee the 2 undisputed alternatives for 0 $

gaul wrote:

Fully agree Dave.. Both DarkTable and RawTherapee are the 2 undisputed FREE alternatives to LR & co..

If you can get for 0 $ the same results, only with a longer learning curve and some settings to change, why not?

Hi Gaul, I have downloaded DT and plan to take a look at it, hopefully this week. It looks quite interesting as well, learning curve and all. For post I have PSCS6 and Affinty Photo.

 Dave_Good's gear list:Dave_Good's gear list
Sony a7 II Tokina 20mm F2 FE MF Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +3 more
DCSculler Forum Member • Posts: 52
Re: Which RAW converter do you use?

Because it's the same as LR.

Doug Haag Senior Member • Posts: 1,810
Re: Which RAW converter do you use?

DCSculler wrote:

Because it's the same as LR.

Huh?  Is this a suggestion that it is appropriate to ignore Adobe Camera Raw?  Adobe Camera Raw was introduced in 2002 as Adobe's first raw conversion capability and LR came along four years later,  If, as you say, the raw converter used by LR is essentially ACR, then with respect to the converter aspect of the process (as distinct from a plethora of post-conversion editing features) ACR is the "parent" converter,  Because the subject of this thread was specifically limited to "conversion", not sure ACR should be ignored just because some Johnny Come Lately software child happened to package some other functions on top of a pre-existing conversion element.

Archer66 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,491
Re: Which RAW converter do you use?

Doug Haag wrote:

DCSculler wrote:

Because it's the same as LR.

If, as you say, the raw converter used by LR is essentially ACR

It is.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads