The little Sony arrived. Any tips setting it up?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
vallhall Contributing Member • Posts: 971
The little Sony arrived. Any tips setting it up?

Hi

Any tips setting it up, exept reading the manual?

Thanks in advance

vallhall's gear list:vallhall's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Samsung NX500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 8,296
Re: The little Sony arrived. Any tips setting it up?

vallhall wrote:

Hi

Thanks in advance

Don't waste your time with the useless Sony manual — get either the Friedman or White ebooks. They'll give you more than enough info to set it up.

Also, if you're mainly a raw or JPEG shooter, you'll probably want different setups.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +15 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 31,805

As mentioned before, check out the free page from Wim Arys, for the M6 I presume, at https://www.wimarys.com/rx100vi-setup-guide-with-tips-and-tricks/

Otherwise, set it to P mode and play.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +2 more
OP vallhall Contributing Member • Posts: 971

Many many thanks!

And i have to update DXO photolab to 2 only because of this camera

I will shoot both jpeg and raw.....and i will try it for light bif......if it only had A6400 af

Sony RX100 VI Samsung NX500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Guy Parsons

vallhall wrote:

Many many thanks!

I will shoot both jpeg and raw.....and i will try it for light bif......if it only had A6400 af

The choices of AF setup are quite extensive and probably nearly as good as the A6400, I do not think you would have any AF problems, except making the right choice among many. From the specs.....

Regards..... Guy

Olympus PEN E-P5 Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +2 more
Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 8,296

Guy Parsons wrote:

vallhall wrote:

Many many thanks!

The choices of AF setup are quite extensive and probably nearly as good as the A6400, I do not think you would have any AF problems, except making the right choice among many. From the specs.....

Yes, the RX100M6 has close to the best focusing Sony offers. Perhaps the latest eye tracking is the only thing it lacks?  But, as you say, picking the right options is the tricky bit.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +15 more
edform
edform Veteran Member • Posts: 6,173

vallhall wrote:

Hi

Thanks in advance

Try to remember to mention which camera it is next time.  Loads of folk read the forum who may not have seen your earlier posts in another thread.

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +1 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 41,654

Send elliottnewcomb a PM. He has posted several good guides that will be useful.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
66GTO Veteran Member • Posts: 3,162

I would probably use it as it came for awhile until I would know what I wanted to change. Enjoy your new camera!

-- hide signature --

Crazy old man! Slow down. You are way too old to be
hunting hemi's in that 66GTO.

66GTO's gear list:66GTO's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Nikon Df +1 more

edform wrote:

vallhall wrote:

Hi

Thanks in advance

Try to remember to mention which camera it is next time. Loads of folk read the forum who may not have seen your earlier posts in another thread.

RX100 VI

LarryB2 Regular Member • Posts: 130

There are some good tutorials on YouTube.

LarryB2's gear list:LarryB2's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony RX100 VI Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more

LarryB2 wrote:

There are some good tutorials on YouTube.

Thank you all for your hjelp and advices

First impression

The ergonomic and the EVF was better than expected!. I have only shoot inside in low light and compared to my phone and NX500 so far. I have to test it more outside

PieterB
PieterB Senior Member • Posts: 1,346

vallhall wrote:

Hi

Thanks in advance

A lot of it is personal preference. I set mine up practically the same as my a6300.

In this way, it doesn't matter which camera I get, most will work the same.

My settings reflect the kind of photographs I take.

So,on the top row picture format settings, af modes, af zone, flash, iso auto settings, exposure one.

Bottom row:

ISo speed settings, White balance, colour profile, DRO, ND

-- hide signature --

No life without a camera.

PieterB's gear list:PieterB's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A900 Sony RX100 VA Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6300 Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +9 more
one blind eye Forum Member • Posts: 53

vallhall wrote:

Hi

Thanks in advance

Which one?

one blind eye wrote:

vallhall wrote:

Hi

Thanks in advance

Which one

RX100 VI

Guy Parsons
Some reading, my choices for what suits me.

Out of the box, the first thing that annoyed me was the constant AF, so turn that off so it only starts AF at half press.

In the shop when tried I found that the default AF whatever it was, jumped all over the place and never seemed to be where I wanted it.

So again, out of the box I did my usual thing with all cameras and set the AF to centre box only. That way for scenes etc I aim the AF box at the point of interest, half press, hold, reframe and full press to shoot. More reliable focus behaviour that way.

For shooting people or groups then change to a face seeking AF mode.

Do plenty of reading about the AF modes as they are extensive and confusing, it is all a bit complex.

If intending to shoot raw, then set raw+jpg, your choice of jpg quality but I set my jpg to the middle quality, Fine I think they call it. If shooting jpg only then set it to Super Fine or whatever the largest jpg is so there is more data to work with when post process fiddling.

The settings for the jpg are your choice as to what you like to see out of the box. As I end up using the raw file I set the jpg to Natural and (my habit) set the sharpening to -1 and do any needed sharpening or boosting later in post process if I decide to use the jpg if in a hurry.

The degree of sharpening always depends on the size of the image displayed and what medium, print or screen. You need to experiment. I found that smaller displays, like those bookshelf sized digital picture frames, need a bump in saturation, contrast and sharpening that would look awful if that image was on say a 50" display. Smaller screens need to make more impact than bigger screens.

With all the initial fiddling and chimping you will find that battery life seems short so you always need a spare. I bought the Sony USB charger which comes with a spare so then I can use the camera to charge one battery and the little charger for the other. Here is the item at an Aussie shop https://www.digidirect.com.au/accessories/camera_power__amp__chargers/sony_acc-trdcx_bx1_battery_and__usb_travel_charger_for_the_rx100 but I bought it directly from a Sony shop in a mall. That shop linked has the charger plus BX1 battery at Oz$75 and the BX1 battery alone at Oz$68, so it is a cheap to buy useful and tiny USB charger.

Do not store a fully charged battery within that charger (or any charger) as they slowly drain back to flat.

As mentioned before, even though I use a system camera mainly in A mode I found that A mode was a waste of effort on the M6, so set it to P mode and use the front dial as program shift if you think you know better than the camera. In a couple of thousand shots last holiday I used P mode for 99.9% of the time and had no problems.

Things like having the camera turn on or off when handling the EVF or touching the review button are your choice. I never seem to use the EVF so I set it to not turn off the camera when pushed down, as for me that means I would be changing to using the screen and would want it still on. Power on due to popping up the EVF makes sense.

Power on using the review button leaves the lens retracted, but I do find accidental grabs and presses of that button turn on the camera when I didn't intend to, so again your choice of how to use it.

When reviewing an image a double tap on the screen enlarges it at the touch point and a finger can slide the image around, another double tap takes it back to normal.

There's lots more but best if you play and ask questions as the usual variety of answers may have what you need in it.

Regards.... Guy

sludge21017
sludge21017 Senior Member • Posts: 1,598

vallhall wrote:

edform wrote:

vallhall wrote:

Hi

Thanks in advance

Try to remember to mention which camera it is next time. Loads of folk read the forum who may not have seen your earlier posts in another thread.

RX100 VI

That is NOT little.

The Sony RX0 and RX0M2 are little.

Guy Parsons
Small, little, what's the difference?

sludge21017 wrote:

vallhall wrote:

edform wrote:

vallhall wrote:

Hi

Thanks in advance

RX100 VI

That is NOT little.

It is small, not little.

The Sony RX0 and RX0M2 are little.

They are too little, or too small if you prefer.

I also have the M6 and would call it a small camera. Smaller still is my Sony AS20 action camera. That I would call little, or very small.

My chunky camera is my Olympus E-P5 with whatever f/2.8 zoom I happen to have on it.

Regards...... Guy

MrHollywood
MrHollywood Senior Member • Posts: 2,916

vallhall wrote:

Hi

Thanks in advance

BTW, I get my best results with the RX100 VI in full manual mode.

With a bit of practice you can run SS, AP and ISO very quickly.

Rob

-- hide signature --

"We need a bigger boat."

MrHollywood's gear list:MrHollywood's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Nikon D850 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads