EVF vs LCD energy consumption

Started 1 month ago | Questions
Discombobulate Regular Member • Posts: 142
EVF vs LCD energy consumption

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked before but I can't find the answer.  So... which view consume more energy.  I have an impression that the EVF uses more energy.

Discombobulate's gear list:Discombobulate's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Leica M-P (Typ 240) Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +2 more
ANSWER:
Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 7,601
Re: EVF vs LCD energy consumption

EVF uses more power. CIPA rating with EVF is 330 vs 400 with the LCD (source).

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
SrMi
SrMi Contributing Member • Posts: 748

Horshack wrote:

Thank you for quoting the source. Did they (imaging-resource) measure it themselves as they did not quote any source?

On the other hand, shooting in Prioritize EVF mode likely uses less power than auto or LCD only mode, as EVF turns on only when eye-sensor triggers.

aheinz New Member • Posts: 8

330 Shots with EVF?
I must have a very different battery or a very unusual way in which I take my images!
Last marathon 1800 shots on one battery and EVF and it  still showed 1 bar on the display.
Dirt Bike Battle 1700, last weekend run 1300 shots with 2 bars showing.....

Just mentioning it...

Have a nice day!
Arthru

-- hide signature --

Taking images since 1976 and still shooting!
www.flickr.com/arthurheinz

aheinz's gear list:aheinz's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +5 more

SrMi wrote:

Horshack wrote:

Thank you for quoting the source. Did they (imaging-resource) measure it themselves as they did not quote any source?

On the other hand, shooting in Prioritize EVF mode likely uses less power than auto or LCD only mode, as EVF turns on only when eye-sensor triggers.

Since it's listed as a CIPA rating I assume the data came from Nikon testing to the CIPA protocol rather than IR recreating the CIPA test themselves.

aheinz wrote:

330 Shots with EVF?
I must have a very different battery or a very unusual way in which I take my images!
Last marathon 1800 shots on one battery and EVF and it still showed 1 bar on the display.

Just mentioning it...

Have a nice day!
Arthru

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61807113

Thank You very much for the link!

OK - I just read over the CIPA test standard paper and just let me say this test so far off any practical usage that it borders on uselessness.

But it surely drives spare battery sells to a (unnecessary) high!

Have a nice day!
Arthur

-- hide signature --

Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +5 more
OP Discombobulate Regular Member • Posts: 142

aheinz wrote:

Thank You very much for the link!

OK - I just read over the CIPA test standard paper and just let me say this test so far off any practical usage that it borders on uselessness.

But it surely drives spare battery sells to a (unnecessary) high!

Have a nice day!
Arthur

I can tell my friends "battery is out" let's do something else.  But I cannot tell my crew at work, let's go home because out of battery.  Spare battery is necessary in some occasions.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Leica M-P (Typ 240) Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +2 more

It was not meant to be taken too literally!
I would never suggest to go out without spares. But so far I never had to use them.
But if I had read before, that the batteries may be only good for 330 shots, I would have bought at least 4 spares instead of two.

Have a nice day!
Arthur

-- hide signature --

JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 24,884

Horshack wrote:

Haven't instrumented the Zx, but with the a7x and a9, it's quite complicated:

https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/sony-a7rii-battery-draw-with-evf-and-lcd/

https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/sony-a9-battery-drain-vs-display-mode/

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III +5 more
SrMi

Horshack wrote:

SrMi wrote:

Horshack wrote:

Since it's listed as a CIPA rating I assume the data came from Nikon testing to the CIPA protocol rather than IR recreating the CIPA test themselves.

The numbers are tabularized as they own measurement. AFAIK, they are the only ones who can report different CIPA numbers for LCD and EVF usage; typically there is only one CIPA battery life number. I am cautious about their numbers until I find a secondary or source.

SrMi

aheinz wrote:

330 Shots with EVF?
Last marathon 1800 shots on one battery and EVF and it still showed 1 bar on the display.

Just mentioning it...

Have a nice day!
Arthru

The point is to compare EVF vs LCD energy consumption, and not quantify how many shots you can get in practice on a single battery.

SrMi wrote:

Horshack wrote:

SrMi wrote:

Horshack wrote:

The numbers are tabularized as they own measurement. AFAIK, they are the only ones who can report different CIPA numbers for LCD and EVF usage; typically there is only one CIPA battery life number. I am cautious about their numbers until I find a secondary or source.

The numbers are from Nikon:

https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.com/z7_z6/en/14_technical_notes_11.html

SrMi

Horshack wrote:

SrMi wrote:

Horshack wrote:

SrMi wrote:

Horshack wrote:

The numbers are from Nikon:

https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.com/z7_z6/en/14_technical_notes_11.html

Thank you, Horshack!

mgblack74 Contributing Member • Posts: 649
What are the reasons?

That a big LCD panel would use less energy than a tiny EVF panel?

mgblack74's gear list:mgblack74's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +2 more
Re: What are the reasons?

mgblack74 wrote:

The EVF is OLED, whereas the rear screen is LCD.

OLED uses more energy than LCD, although the difference depends on on the average pixel luminance since OLED pixels are driven individually whereas LCD is driven by LED backlight(s). Also, the Z's EVF has more pixels than its LCD.

OP Discombobulate Regular Member • Posts: 142

mgblack74 wrote:

i'm not surprised.

JimKasson

Horshack wrote:

mgblack74 wrote:

The EVF is OLED, whereas the rear screen is LCD.

OLED uses more energy than LCD, although the difference depends on on the average pixel luminance since OLED pixels are driven individually whereas LCD is driven by LED backlight(s). Also, the Z's EVF has more pixels than its LCD.

In the case of Sony cameras, the sensor scan rate increases when the camera detects an eye near the finder (or a hat). That also affects the power consumption. Don't know about the Zx in that regard.

Jim

-- hide signature --
goactive Senior Member • Posts: 1,675

I use the EVF all the time and have no problem shooting over 1000 images and still have more than half the battery life left. I have yet to use up a full battery shooting.

-- hide signature --

Started shooting digital back with the first 2MP cameras. Over 20 cameras later still going. I shoot family and people portraits, weddings, Sports and a little of everything.

goactive's gear list:goactive's gear list
Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon D500 +20 more
JimKasson

goactive wrote:

I use the EVF all the time and have no problem shooting over 1000 images and still have more than half the battery life left. I have yet to use up a full battery shooting.

I'm not sure why you're telling me that. That is similar to my own experience, and not in any way contradictory to what I wrote.

Jim

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads