Camera for a hipster friend Locked

Started 2 months ago | Questions
This thread is locked.
Christian Scarlet Regular Member • Posts: 145
Re: Camera for a hipster friend

Watching people’s serious replies is disturbing.

Don_Campbell Senior Member • Posts: 2,831
simple and easy to find

Doug Larvey wrote:

Hi folks

A friend of mine who is a hipster asked me for some advise on buying a camera. His main concern is that the camera fits his hipster profile. The look of the camera is important to him as he wants to look as cool and hip as possible all tbe while giving off the impression that he doesnt care.

He plans to mainly photograph friends and occassions that involve his hipster lifestyle. He considers himself an artist and wants a camera to convey his artistic hipster impression.

He doesnt care for the technical aspects as he believes art can be produced by any camera and plans to produce his art in auto mode.

Does anyone recommend a camera suited for my hipster friend?

If he doesn't care about all the actual photographic things you say he doesn't care about, then for sure he needs a really snazzy, expensive and highly hip cell phone. Anything over $800 should fill the bill. Oh, and make it really, really cute. A case with lots of arty flowers might work. A chain to wear around his neck (below the beard of course).

On second thought, make it over $1000.

bathgate
bathgate Senior Member • Posts: 2,282
Re: Camera size to beard ratio issue

Doug Larvey wrote:

Hi folks

Thanks for the great responses and the camera suggestions and recomendations.

A small detail I forgot to mention was my hipster friends beard. Its quite large and thick which could become a problem with camera straps and larger format cameras. I believe he will need a smaller camera to beard ratio when picking out his new hipster camera.

Well that was just assumed.  

bathgate's gear list:bathgate's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Qui Tam
Qui Tam Regular Member • Posts: 247

How about the hipster's best friend--that "pure photography" travesty, the Nikon Df?

tassienick Contributing Member • Posts: 813

A new standard for dumb threads on DPR. Well done Doug.

OP Doug Larvey Regular Member • Posts: 374

tassienick wrote:

Anytime Bud.

NilsBV Junior Member • Posts: 42
Sketch pad and charcoals

My suggestion would be a recycled paper sketch pad and single origin artists' charcoal.

NilsBV's gear list:NilsBV's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Pentax K-3 +22 more
Spengler49 New Member • Posts: 5

I suspect you must be a closeted hipster. True photographers have found this thread to be most informative.

Spengler49's gear list:Spengler49's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +6 more
ZilverHaylide Contributing Member • Posts: 509

Doug Larvey wrote:

Hi folks

A friend of mine who is a hipster asked me for some advise on buying a camera. His main concern is that the camera fits his hipster profile. The look of the camera is important to him as he wants to look as cool and hip as possible all tbe while giving off the impression that he doesnt care.

He plans to mainly photograph friends and occassions that involve his hipster lifestyle. He considers himself an artist and wants a camera to convey his artistic hipster impression.

He doesnt care for the technical aspects as he believes art can be produced by any camera and plans to produce his art in auto mode.

Get him a 4x5 Speed Graphic. And a box of cigars. And some flashbulbs. (For your friend, film can be optional).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weegee

JohnWick4001 Regular Member • Posts: 231

It is critical to give him a camera with a defective white balance to get those greenish skin tones  and decentered lens that misfocuses to achieve those "artistic" pictures that all hipsters fall over themselves to be the first to say how artistic it looks. And under no circumstances should the hotshoe mount work,lest he accidentally puts a radio trigger on it with a proper strobe and softbox and fail to achieve the "natural light "look that they all must have.

JohnWick4001's gear list:JohnWick4001's gear list
Sony a7R III Nikon Z6 Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II +6 more
tassienick Contributing Member • Posts: 813

Spengler49 wrote:

I suspect you must be a closeted hipster.

Who knows, I probably am...

True photographers have found this thread to be most informative.

Yeah nah.

Imager1 Regular Member • Posts: 264

I don't know any Hipsters, I'm a Beatnik.

Any cameras for a Beatnik?

DeathArrow Senior Member • Posts: 1,051

Imager1 wrote:

I don't know any Hipsters, I'm a Beatnik.

Any cameras for a Beatnik?

Look here: https://www.verywellfamily.com/best-cameras-for-grandparents-4154315

DeathArrow's gear list:DeathArrow's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Imager1 Regular Member • Posts: 264

Cool man, slap me five.

Richard B99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,059

Doug Larvey wrote:

Hi folks

You need to tell your friend that the ABSOLUTELY ONLY camera he can be seen with is the Leica M10 Monochrom.  It's so hipster cool that it doesn't even have the red dot on it 'cos people who know, know.  And its monochrome so thats the only thing to be taking if you are a hipster.

Doesn't really matter which lens he gets as it doesn't sound like he will be using it much probably the little 35mm f/2 'cos it must be a prime and it has a pretty rectangular lens hood (details matter).

Should be able to get that little package for comfortably under $10,000 so it's great hipster value too.

Pomo Senior Member • Posts: 1,015

Olympus Pen F or Fuji X100 with no doubt.

If you want to get cheaper one, take a look at E-PL8.

Ron Poelman
Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,273
Yep, the Kenny Bania school should be a step up. (NT)

tcg550 wrote:

Maybe leave the humor to professionals?

-- hide signature --

Ron.
Volunteer, what could possibly go wrong ?

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a7R Sony a77 II +19 more
pocoloco Senior Member • Posts: 2,112

Only one way to go, Lomo!

pocoloco's gear list:pocoloco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +15 more
DeathArrow Senior Member • Posts: 1,051

Christian Scarlet wrote:

Watching people’s serious replies is disturbing.

Let's get a moment and think of the world's most disadvantaged people...

DeathArrow's gear list:DeathArrow's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Jonsi
Jonsi Senior Member • Posts: 3,386

tassienick wrote:

I'd say a close 2nd to the Michael Jordan follow-up thread he created, that was quickly removed by mods.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads